Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Stage 4 upgrade for CVO road glide 2019?  (Read 9838 times)

Albatross14

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 Road Glide Mako Shark
Stage 4 upgrade for CVO road glide 2019?
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »

Hello
New to the forum. I have just bought a 2019 CVO roadglide.  I am considering a stage 4 upgrade but starting to do research.  Wanted to buy now since will be under the full warranty.

But it looks like for example the cylinder heads are already the same size. I’m wondering if there is redundancy in the kit if it is even worth it. Pistons and cam look different (and I’m sure more).

I’ve also looked for some data on the increases. I see the 114 to 117 but nothing re stage 4 to 117.

I would appreciate thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks !

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Stage 4 upgrade for CVO road glide 2019?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 04:09:18 PM »

Depending how you ride stage3 for most is a better upgrade from a usability and fun factor standpoint (more torque where most ride)

If you always ride WFO the stage 4 is prolly a good choice

Compare the graphs
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »

Hello
New to the forum. I have just bought a 2019 CVO roadglide.  I am considering a stage 4 upgrade but starting to do research.  Wanted to buy now since will be under the full warranty.

But it looks like for example the cylinder heads are already the same size. I’m wondering if there is redundancy in the kit if it is even worth it. Pistons and cam look different (and I’m sure more).

I’ve also looked for some data on the increases. I see the 114 to 117 but nothing re stage 4 to 117.

I would appreciate thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks !

I haven't taken the time yet to look up exactly what the 2019 CVO 117 engine comes with, but I'm going to guess it doesn't come with the same heads, valves, pistons, throttle body, and cams that come in the Stage IV kit.  If Harley actually did install the CNC heads, 64mm TB, 11:1 forged pistons, and 585 cam in their production engine, it would be the first time they've done something like that in all the years I've been following them.

The attachment is from the 2018 SE catalog, detailing the parts in the kit.  I haven't seen anything different for 2019, but then again I haven't really looked all that hard.  As best I can tell, the only part of the kit that you already have is the cylinders. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Albatross14

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 Road Glide Mako Shark
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 06:07:24 PM »

Depending how you ride stage3 for most is a better upgrade from a usability and fun factor standpoint (more torque where most ride)

If you always ride WFO the stage 4 is prolly a good choice

Compare the graphs

Thanks so much for this.  I can’t find any graphs yet on the 2019 so that is a bit what I’m wondering about - that said, using the 2018 as a proxy is a great idea.

The 2019 motors are all blacked out on the mako road glide so also not sure I want to swap out the heads etc. As will clearly change the look.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »

Check out this video -

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/milwaukee-eight-engine-stage-iv-kit - about half way through is where you will want to pay attention to the guy speaking,   he explains where the power comes in at.  Just food for thought.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 09:53:59 PM »

first had the stage 3 on my 17 CVO Streetglide then upgraded to stage 4. Night and day difference to me but I do ride pretty hard. A couple of buddies of mine were asking me and have ridden with them both I tried to talk one of them out of it and one of them into it. One of them was complaining that he had to get a rear tire at 12000 miles, I told him not to get it.
Bad news on my story that many here know is both the stage 3 and the stage 4 sumped on me. Just full disclosure though they (Moco) is swearing they have fixed that. We will see--
Alan

JPerham301

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 12:47:33 PM »

I have a 2019 Road Glide CVO and installed the stage 4. Don't do it. It stutters pops and stalls when trying to takeoff. HD of San Diego installed the kit. They cant get the bike to run. Put the Screamin Eagle tuner on and said "they are out of tune". They want me to get a Power Vision. The whole point of getting the stage 4 was to keep the warranty. Now the bike runs like $hit...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 09:06:57 PM »

I have a 2019 Road Glide CVO and installed the stage 4. Don't do it. It stutters pops and stalls when trying to takeoff. HD of San Diego installed the kit. They cant get the bike to run. Put the Screamin Eagle tuner on and said "they are out of tune". They want me to get a Power Vision. The whole point of getting the stage 4 was to keep the warranty. Now the bike runs like $hit...

I'm going to guess they screwed something up during the kit installation, either don't know what they did wrong or do know but don't want to go back in and fix it (they don't get paid twice to do one job), and the scary part is they are advising you to do something that will instantly void your factory warranty.  You need to go over some heads and not accept the BS response you've been given.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 11:54:26 PM »

interesting it was done at San Diego as my 19 Roadglide is sitting at Biggs Harley down the street waiting for CARB (CA) to approve the stage 4. I was there today and dealer trying to talk me into taking bike and bringing back when approved and I don't want to do that. I have been a very good customer of this dealer for years and truly do like them and think they trust me but by not taking delivery I am obviously holding them up so hard to believe a dealer 20 miles away would take that risk by installing stage 4. Maybe they are trying to do something else and not use correct set up?
Alan

JPerham301

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »

Now I'm being told there is a sumping issue. I don't see how HD would put a kit out that wasn't perfected...

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 01:48:45 AM »

Now I'm being told there is a sumping issue. I don't see how HD would put a kit out that wasn't perfected...
As I posted on another thread this really makes no sense. Stage 4 as of last Friday has not been released by CA for compliance yet on a model year 19 which means SD would not be able to download the correct map for the Harley tuner which is the only way to keep your warranty in tact.if they tried to “jimmy” a different program to work it would not only explain why your bike wasn’t running correctly but would leave major warranty issues unless SD is prepared to flat out lie to the MoCo about work they performed. I have not heard of a 19 with updated motor parts and correctly installed stage 4 in any of the other 49 states sumping yet. A year ago we would see this combo on this forum almost every night. Unfortunately 3 of those stories were mine so been following the progress of the 19’s closely. We did see a couple when 19’s were first released but both turned out to have 18 oil pumps (yea, insane that MoCo would deliver them that way..).
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »

They've put out lots of stuff over the years that isn't "perfected".  And that 117 Stage IV kit has been out for over two years now, so it's not like it's new.  But truth be told, the real issue has never been the kit, but rather the oiling system of the stock engine.  If you are experiencing sumping, Harley claims the change they made to the oil pump housing/cover seal for 2019 solves that problem.  Since you have a 2019 model, I'd suggest you ask the dealership to verify your bike came with the correct parts.  Other 2019's have been reported to have the older model parts installed from the factory.  They obviously haven't "perfected" their system for assuring the correct parts are installed when they build engines.

I'm still wondering about your dealership by the way.  The kit had not received approval from CARB for 2019 models and therefore was not legal at the time they installed it, then they had no clue when they encountered problems, then they encouraged you to use an illegal tuning device which would have voided your factory warranty.  In the future you might want to look around for a better dealership.

JMHO - Jerry

mark

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 09:26:03 PM »

Under no circumstances would I let them install a PowerVision and void your warranty.  As has been suggested, the dealership has screwed something up and is trying to correct/cover it up with the tuner...that they'll expect you to pay for, along with the labor to install it.

You should hold their feet to the fire and ask the Service Mgr to explain how they intend to keep your warranty intact with a device, that when installed, immediate voids it.  If you get an explanation, you're going to need that in writing.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »

San Diego HD will most likely tell him that "they" will warranty it.  But that's BS if he's on the road on a long distance ride and the bike has to go in to the closest shop for what ever. 

I agree with the posts above, they screwed something up and either don't know what they screwed up or don't want to accept responsibility for it. 

By the way.....I got a text from the pool boy an hour ago.  He said that the MoCo called him and stated that CARB has now approved the stage 4.  Let's see if the dealerships get a bulletin tomorrow.   :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:49:50 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Duelin CVOs

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2018 Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2018 LIMITED
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 09:54:46 PM »

I have a 2018 street glide cvo with stage 4 and an Ultra limited cvo with a stage 2 power cam. Do yourself a favor and just get a power cam. The 117 with a cam install only will wake right up.
 My stage 4 has a stumbling issue off the line.
My stage 2 limited is flawless and powerful. Yanks the wheel when I power shift.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »

I'm having Stage 4 installed on my '19 Road Glide.
I'm more of a "top-hit" power guy so chose that over Stage 3.

I'll report back once I get some miles on her.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

JPerham301

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »

Well, they are replacing my whole motor after it sumped. Having to wait the 2 weeks for the new stage 4 kit. I would suggest putting an aftermarket oil pump in...

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 11:26:22 AM »

Well, they are replacing my whole motor after it sumped. Having to wait the 2 weeks for the new stage 4 kit. I would suggest putting an aftermarket oil pump in...

I'll ride the Warranty Train for now ... maybe I'll get lucky  :nixweiss:
It's gonna stay documented with MoCo approved parts, tuner, and install for now.

Even bought (through the dealer) an EPA certified exhaust which consists of Fullsac MX header and S&S MK45 slip-ons with cats.
TIF2

JPerham301

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 11:28:32 AM »

I put the Rhinehart slipons on, sounds ok not as good as hoped. Let meknow how it turns out and how it sounds...

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 05:20:52 PM »

Will do ... I hated to give up my D&D cans but no cat = no bueno for warranty.

Just heard from the dealer. Bike is being delivered Friday morning. Test rides good (no stuttering, no popping, etc). This is the second 2019 RG with Stage IV they have done ... he seems reputable as far as that goes. That being said ...

Verified latest SB was performed as stated in Stage IV application. Using Harley's Pro/Smart Tuners. Bike had 8 miles on the odo before Stage IV.
So ... everything that can be done to ensure reliability and maintain warranty has been done.

Time will tell ... planning a 300 mile ride on Saturday so hopefully will be all smiles and good news to report.
TIF2

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »

Make sure you pick up a real windshield before your 300 mile run if you haven't already. You won't be happy otherwise!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »

Make sure you pick up a real windshield before your 300 mile run if you haven't already. You won't be happy otherwise!

Klockwerks 12 in a box sitting in the garage  :)

TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:10 AM »

Got the bike on Friday ... immediately LOVED the exhaust sound (Fullsac MX/S&S MK45).

Did 150 miles on Saturday ... Stage iV power is good. Not sure it is worth the money as this is my first ride on a 117 so I don't have any experience on a stock motor to compare to. Comparing it to my old 110 with a Kury 24d cam and great tune it's night and day. This combo would leave the old bike standing.

Stuttered twice. Initially on take-off then again right before we got home (again - on take-off). Seems like it was either starved for fuel or the timing was off. Dunno if the smart-tuner is still learning or what. Otherwise it ran PERFECT.

So .. still too early to tell but no problems so far.
TIF2

Lucky M

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 08:19:15 PM »

I'm new to the forum.  I have a 2019 CVO with the 117ci.  HD installed a stage IV kit with true dual headers, Pro Tuner and Auto Tuner.  I would suggest to anyone considering this type of upgrade to reconsider.  My performance boost did not warrant the money.

Not sure bu the numbers say the new 131ci may be a better option.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 07:03:07 AM »

The HD Stage Kits and the 131 Kit are for people who want more power than stock.  At the same time they also want to have a factory warranty.   They are worth the money if you want to keep warranty.  Most power for your money, then they are not worth it.  It depends on your goals. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.