Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Can't believe this one  (Read 8774 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Can't believe this one
« on: November 01, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »

I pulled the plug and went with the Michelin Commander ll  rubber.

I got the tyres from a local  Kowie dealership they said if I get the tyres from them they would mount the rubber for free,(fair enough) .
I took the wheels off the bike and down I went to get them put on the rims. All went good till the rear wheel they couldn't get the beed to seat on the rim so they said leave it with us and we'll delive it to you when it's done. I agreed and took the front wheel with me.

About an hour and a half later they arrived with the rear wheel all mounted all was good,..........then I saw it,......they had put the wheel on the tyre machine and clamped it down with the clamping jaws on the wheel belt sprocket .

This is that it did in 6 spots around the circumference of the sprocket.   I think they're going to have to replace it.

One guy said to just take the sharp burs off , I think the "V" in the teeth would cut into the belt . I called HD they said it should be replaced

What do you think?

ultrarider123

Re: Can't believe this one
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »

Have them replace that sprocket, Pete.  Belt should have a smooth surface for correct wear...you think you've seen it all and then something comes along that makes you go huh?  I'm guessing this isn't their first rodeo on tire mounting but dang, they clamped the heck outa that thing... >:(

That would be the first and last time I'd use them if it were me 'cause you know they had to realize they damaged the belt sprocket and were hoping you wouldn't notice....

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »

One more thing....and you have probably already done it based on what you found on the sprocket....but I'd do a very good check on that tire AND rim, too.  Ain't no tellin' what they may/may not have done to the wheel and/or tire, too.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »

Unreal.  I would agree with Haird and request that pulley replacement at their expense.

I could write a narrative on bad tire mounting experiences over the years, which is exactly why I bought my own tools and now do this job myself.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »

I read about the potential difficulty getting the Mich IIs to seat before I bought my first set . . . and I've had several.  Only one time did I have that problem.  From what the dealership told me it can take quite a large volume of air to pump very quickly into the tire to get the beat to seat.  This one particular dealership I suppose just did not have a capable enough air compressor system and they took the wheel with the tire mounted to an auto tire dealership simply to have them inflate the tire and seat the bead.  No problem at all.

So I'm no sure why they had to clamp your wheel like they did.   :nixweiss:  In any case I agree with what the others said - replace that pulley and inspect your wheel for cosmetic or possibly mechanical damage.  Wouldn't want that tire to deflate. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »

I'm still waiting for a call back from them, it's 3 hrs they  since they took the wheel bake to show the boss man Criss Walker they close at 5:30 I'll call them at 5 if they don't call by then.

I'm expecting to get  a load bull,bull,bull.         But I like the rubber.

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »

I like these tires but they are stiff.

From my limited experience removing and mounting these:
- Warm them up somehow, either with a heater or in hot sunlight
- Lube up both the tire bead and rim real good.
- Try to pop the tire on in one motion using 3 levers simultaneously (sort of an art).
- Remove valve core and seat bead using a high flow blow nozzle on your unfiltered compressor output at no more than 50psig.
- Deflate, reinstall valve core, and fill to spec with clean filtered air.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »

They should buy you a new sprocket - at the least.  Michelins can be difficult to get the bead to seat.  Have used pull straps to hold the tire in place & taken the core out of the tire air valve.  Have never seen a sprocket damaged like yours, the things one learns when reading the internet....   :'(
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »

:D :D :D :D it gets better,

He brought the wheel back,  the guy said the mechanic has cleaned it up . What he did was  took the tops off each tooth looks like it was done all way round . I Don know what affect this will have on the belt.
Then I noticed that the wheel was not balanced  he tried to say if wasn't  when it was taken in,.."Needless to say how I responded "
I spoke with the owner he tried to say the sprocket is half warn until  I said it's only got 23k on it and still the same belt from new then I said your man is being the wheel back because it wasn't balanced,.....think that knocked the wind out of his sails he didn't have much to say after that.

J.D.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »

Wow, what an outfit.

Unfortunately even a routine tire change can involve legal consultation these days.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »

Nuts, people are just nuts.  I would press them for a new sprocket.  If that sprocket chews up your belt, bad things could happen.  Best to be safe than sorry.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »

Well the wheel is back home now and has been balanced , to what extent I won't know till I'm rolling.

In this pic if you enlarge it you can see just how deep the top of the teeth were cut into. How there's no  marks on the top of any tooth .
Correct me if I'm wrong,...but By taking the tops off each tooth , now the tooth will ride shallow in the belt lugs,..... or am I over dramatizing things.

What under normal circumstances unabused ridin is a common life spand of the belt and sprocket?

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »

Those squared off tops will chew up the belt.  IMHO it is ruined and must be replaced.

It's not uncommon for a belt and pulleys to go 100k.

cockawit

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »

that pulley does not look too good to me. looks like the hardened finish has came off. Mine had 146,000 before I replaced it and my rear pulley looked about the same as yours. but I also lived a kilometer up a gravel road and I believe that had a lot to do with it. if it was mine I would replace it.

ultrarider123

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »

Those squared off tops will chew up the belt.  IMHO it is ruined and must be replaced.

It's not uncommon for a belt and pulleys to go 100k.

What he said on both replies, Pete... :2vrolijk_21:

I worked on a bike a few years ago with 121,000 miles and while it needed some all over TLC, the belt and sprocket actually looked good for that many miles.

It's your bike....but, if it were mine and I'm sure most of the others here that have responded would agree, I'd never let that sprocket pull a belt on my bike with that kind of abuse.  Heck, you could probably find one at a dealer that was changed for some reason that's in better shape OR get a new one but I'd hit up those "insert your best adjective here" that boogered it up in the first place to replace it.... :2vrolijk_21:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.