Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dead Motor - 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra  (Read 3855 times)

slinkcvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2016 Victory Cross Country Ultra
Dead Motor - 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:47:27 AM »

Bought new in Feb 2017, 25K miles flawless then motor starts "ticking" a few days ago.  Service manager calls me yesterday and informs me that motor is full of metal particles, very frustrating.  Love this bike but unsure of continuing with it with a Stage rebuild or trading for a '19 Limited.  Wondering if a stage rebuild will have any more longevity?  Recommendations and advice appreciated.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Dead Motor - 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »

Bought new in Feb 2017, 25K miles flawless then motor starts "ticking" a few days ago.  Service manager calls me yesterday and informs me that motor is full of metal particles, very frustrating.  Love this bike but unsure of continuing with it with a Stage rebuild or trading for a '19 Limited.  Wondering if a stage rebuild will have any more longevity?  Recommendations and advice appreciated.

The damage should be covered under the factory warranty. Are they replacing the engine at no cost?

mark

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »

You bought a '16 model that failed.  You're now considering a '19 from the same company that sold you a bike that tanked after three years.  If you've read posts on this, or any HD forum, you must know the MoCo has problems with the M8 oiling system (sumping), which causes engines to fail.  No one knows if the oiling issue has been resolved in the '19s.  It's your money, so ask yourself how much risk you're willing to take on a '19.  When deciding whether to give the MoCo another $$$, I'd also factor in that HD has been forced to recall about 250k bikes due to bad hydraulic clutches.   

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:28:19 AM »

You bought a '16 model that failed.  You're now considering a '19 from the same company that sold you a bike that tanked after three years.  If you've read posts on this, or any HD forum, you must know the MoCo has problems with the M8 oiling system (sumping), which causes engines to fail.  No one knows if the oiling issue has been resolved in the '19s.  It's your money, so ask yourself how much risk you're willing to take on a '19.  When deciding whether to give the MoCo another $$$, I'd also factor in that HD has been forced to recall about 250k bikes due to bad hydraulic clutches.   

Probably failed lifter but could be alot of other possible reasons on a TC. Since he bought new in Feb 2017 it should be fully covered under the 2 yr factory warranty. Should be quickly addressed assuming his factory warranty wasn't voided for some reason. EPA sanctions shouldn't apply to 2016 HD bikes, so a tuner "shouldn't" necessarily void his warranty but who knows any more. I agree, probably not the best time to jump from a '16 TC CVO to a '19 M8 CVO.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:31:16 AM by Heatwave »

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »

You have a lot of determining factors to consider.

1. Is the bike paid off?
2. Is the bike still under warranty?
3. Are you tired of your bike and really want a new one anyway?
4. Would you be happy riding your current bike for another 5 years?
5. and probably many more questions.

If it's under warranty and you can get it fixed for free - obvious answer.
Once fixed, do you want to invest in an extended warranty?
25k is not a lot of miles. An extended warranty of 5 years would be you down the road for a long time.

Or if you want a new bike .. well no amount of reasoning and calculations really matters.  :)

DH

slinkcvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 11:16:01 AM »

Bike is not paid off but have a good amount of equity.  Bike is still under initial warranty and have 3 year ESP. Normally don't keep bikes more than 5 years. Like the bike a lot but not enthused about keeping it if new stock motor or stage motor will only last 25k miles.  I ride that many miles per year between my two bikes.  Will rebuilt stage motor with upgrades be any more reliable than stock?

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »

Since the stage X camshafts are typically more aggressive than the stock, it wouldn't be unexpected that the stage X upgrade would be slightly less reliable from a lifter failure perspective (which is what I assume did the first engine in).

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »

Bike is not paid off but have a good amount of equity.  Bike is still under initial warranty and have 3 year ESP. Normally don't keep bikes more than 5 years. Like the bike a lot but not enthused about keeping it if new stock motor or stage motor will only last 25k miles.  I ride that many miles per year between my two bikes.  Will rebuilt stage motor with upgrades be any more reliable than stock?

Well, in my mind it would come down to how long do you want to be in debt? I had a 2011 CVO FLTRUSE. I put 60k miles on it. I had 4 major repairs including valves from 2011-2015. Insurance/Warranty covered all the repairs. I was not mad or uncomfortable about a breakdown. When it got to 60k I traded it for a 2015 before I rode all the value out of it.

Just me, your mileage may vary.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »

I don't see how HD stays in Business with all the Motor problems.
This why I Ride Older EVO FXR4 CVO with S&S V111 65k miles and a 98 Road King with S&S V124 with 25k miles so far. No issues with either.

slinkcvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 05:07:04 PM »

So the service manager who I have known for a while and have trust and confidence in just provided an update; pretty much every component of the motor except the jugs, heads, and cases are toast but the warranty will cover which is good news.  He said  that we could upgrade to a 117 stage 4 with welded crank and other durability enhancements for $2008 out of pocket. My two yr warranty expires in Feb and they will not extend because of the new motor so will be going onto the ESP portion of the warranty.  Does anybody know anything about these 117 Twin Cam kits? Really undecided about committing to this versus trading for a '19 Limited.

nytryder

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »

Whatever you decide have the S&S lifters installed at rebuild time. Most likely that is the reason your engine failed. (stock lifters). Might be a good time to change out valve springs and valve guides as well.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 05:57:05 PM »

So the service manager who I have known for a while and have trust and confidence in just provided an update; pretty much every component of the motor except the jugs, heads, and cases are toast but the warranty will cover which is good news.  He said  that we could upgrade to a 117 stage 4 with welded crank and other durability enhancements for $2008 out of pocket. My two yr warranty expires in Feb and they will not extend because of the new motor so will be going onto the ESP portion of the warranty.  Does anybody know anything about these 117 Twin Cam kits? Really undecided about committing to this versus trading for a '19 Limited.

The 117 kits seem to be relatively reliable, but your not fixing the failure points in the kit. Lifters and crank are the most common failure points. Those should be addressed 110 or 117. Get a good lifter not something that says HD or SE on it
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »

The 117 kits seem to be relatively reliable, but your not fixing the failure points in the kit. Lifters and crank are the most common failure points. Those should be addressed 110 or 117. Get a good lifter not something that says HD or SE on it
They are addressing the crank.
Whatever you decide have the S&S lifters installed at rebuild time. Most likely that is the reason your engine failed. (stock lifters). Might be a good time to change out valve springs and valve guides as well.
Most definitely go w/something other than MoCo lifters as they have been a known issue/cause of failures.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

West AR CVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Amethyst White Black Licorice
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »

Anything beyond stock components will technically void your ESP. First question asked is about any modifications or performance parts. The 117 kit or welding the crank would do it. I would push for a complete long block and maybe the oil cooler too. Those pieces of metal went everywhere. Seen this scenario many times working at a dealership. Depending on the dealer, I’d much rather have the long block before letting some techs rebuild part of your engine.  Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »

What he said ^^^!  The ESP folks have been tougher than H-D when it comes to modifications.  And the best approach to the repair was also spot on; insist on a complete engine replacement or at least a long block.  And yes, the oil lines, oil pan, and oil cooler will be full of metal particles and that needs to be addressed as well.  The lines and cooler can be flushed if done right, people have reported the oil pan is quite difficult to clean completely.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 21 queries.