Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Road glide handlebar install cost  (Read 6450 times)

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

Road glide handlebar install cost
« on: November 09, 2018, 10:11:37 AM »

I called a HD shop over here in jersey and was just quoted $1260 in labor to put a set of handle bars on. Plus parts. Is this crazy? Or is this right. I’m looking at the factory 47 Rivera bars 14 inch. Everything I’m reading says you don’t have to extend anything. Am I off on this? Or are they the ones that are crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't let that distract you from the fact that In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The  A-Team.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Road glide handlebar install cost
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »

They must be allowing time to extend every electrical and hydraulic line for that price. That’s at least ten hours labor even if it includes shop supplies and tax.

If you have a good Indy anywhere nearby I’d check with them.

If you don’t have to extend clutch or brake lines it’s a fairly straightforward job you could do yourself. You can get extensions for the electrical from Harley or aftermarket.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Road glide handlebar install cost
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »

Without wire and hydro extensions - 2-3 hours MAX!
With complete new cables 6-8 hours. Including bleeding the ABS system

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 05:46:06 PM »

I called a HD shop over here in jersey and was just quoted $1260 in labor to put a set of handle bars on. Plus parts. Is this crazy? Or is this right. I’m looking at the factory 47 Rivera bars 14 inch. Everything I’m reading says you don’t have to extend anything. Am I off on this? Or are they the ones that are crazy?

I looked at those. Ended up ordering a set of Vindicta Mauraders for mine. Plan on doing it myself. I did the ones on my old '11 and those were a lot more involved with the older wiring system. 14" you should not have to extend anything. Might have to cut a zip tie or two to adjust some things but you should be good to go. F47 seemed to have a pretty good backorder going when I looked so I went to Vindicta. Lots of videos out there to help. If you have patience and good mechanical skills, you should be able to do it yourself.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:29:51 PM »

Update. So I called the shop I got my bike at they will do for 5 hours of labor.  Plus they sell those bars and have them in stock. Also they did confirm that they will not have to extend anything. So maybe they will charge less labor.
I no doubt can do it. It’s just not worth the hassle to me anymore. I been reading about the check engine lights and everything else everyone has come across. I just don’t fell like dealing with it. I want to be able to roll into the dealer if something’s wrong and say fix it.
We get a 20% discount on parts at this dealer so I’ll order through them. Plus I got Harley bucks to spend on my account there.
Don't let that distract you from the fact that In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The  A-Team.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:54:15 PM »

Update. So I called the shop I got my bike at they will do for 5 hours of labor.  Plus they sell those bars and have them in stock. Also they did confirm that they will not have to extend anything. So maybe they will charge less labor.
I no doubt can do it. It’s just not worth the hassle to me anymore. I been reading about the check engine lights and everything else everyone has come across. I just don’t fell like dealing with it. I want to be able to roll into the dealer if something’s wrong and say fix it.
We get a 20% discount on parts at this dealer so I’ll order through them. Plus I got Harley bucks to spend on my account there.

That sounds like a much better deal than the other place. Let us know what you think of those new bars. I just saw someone post about them on the RG forum recently.

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 04:00:30 PM »

Hello fellows here’s an update. $890 total for the bars and installed.  I got the 14” factory 47 Rivera bars. I’m 5 11 and they are perfect. So much more comfortable to ride. And easier to handle too.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 05:55:36 PM »

Looks awesome, also looks like something got spilled on the lower end of your front fork.  :nixweiss:  lol
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »

Honestly I don't think that's too bad of a price for the bars and installation. I'm waiting on a set of Vindicta Marauders to show up for mine. Will be doing that install myself. If my dealer would do it that cheap, I'd pay them to do it.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 07:44:04 PM »

Had mine done for 150. 00..took about 1.5 hrs.  Road glides are pretty simple to to. I even thru in a 50.00 tip. 😊Stuart

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 06:27:50 AM »

Had mine done for 150. 00..took about 1.5 hrs.  Road glides are pretty simple to to. I even thru in a 50.00 tip. 😊Stuart
Good deal. Which bars and how tall? I'm getting 14" so I'll have to play around with the clutch line a little. Should not have to replace it though.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 08:46:46 AM »

I have Yaffe 14" monkey bars on my 19 SERG, had them on my 18 also.  Running factory hydraulic clutch cable and brake cables, routed a bit different.  Did need wire extensions. 

Ran factory 47 14" on my SERGU, factory cables and wires.  Factory 47 14" are shorter than Yaffey 14"
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »

Same here. 14"factory 47.  All stock  cables and wiring were used.  Really not a tough install at all on the road glide. Stuart

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »

I’m thinking this will be my last bike that’s why I went with the dealer install. I no doubt could have done it myself but at this point in my life I just want to take it back if somethings wrong. And tell them to fix it.  I didn’t want to take a chance on an Indy doing it and skimming a wire or something. I feel like my dealer did a good reasonable job. Our Indy was going to charge 400 so not that much difference.

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 10:39:19 AM »

Looks awesome, also looks like something got spilled on the lower end of your front fork.  :nixweiss:  lol
I don’t know I’ll check before I ride tomorrow. They do a thorough cleaning before they give it back.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.