Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tuner - HeadPipe - Cam scenario question  (Read 1928 times)

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Tuner - HeadPipe - Cam scenario question
« on: January 28, 2019, 10:33:47 PM »

'19 CVO RG - I've been running SVT BoneShaker mufflers, and I just took delivery of a PowerVision tuner.  Now, I'm contemplating a Wood's 22X cam and possibly a head pipe.  I know the bike will pull with a new cam, and I'm sure I'll notice a small improvement when I load the PowerVision (even if I don't upgrade the cam), but I'm just not sure what performance gains/loss I'll notice from a head pipe.   

Aside from a deeper exhaust note, what can I expect if I swap out the head pipe?
2019 CVO Road Glide
2018 Anniversary Breakout - sold
1995 Fat Boy - sold

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Tuner - HeadPipe - Cam scenario question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:00:44 PM »

With a non-cat header, you will get much louder sound.  You also might notice a loss of torque (and acceleration), even after re-tuning.  It's important to match the cam, header, and mufflers to each other, or you can end up with a loud and weak engine.

Look into some of the combinations that top-notch performance guys have built.  There are several of those on this forum.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 08:42:57 AM »

I do not know what size the baffles are in the SVT bone shakers,  Big baffles can cause a lost of low end torque.  Its best to have 1.75 to 2 inch baffles for the best low end torque, 2.25 do not suffer a loss in torque.  However mufflers with 2.5 and larger baffles suffer a loss in torque especially in the lower RPM.

A good head pipe will help HP and torque if properly tuned.  Fullsac makes a very good head pipe for the M8 motor, probably the best 2-1-2 head pipe available right now for a stock to mild build. 

I can tell you, on my 2018 CVO RG with the fullsac MX head pipe, his 2.25 baffles and a good tune, I picked up close to 8 HP and Torque.

On the M8 the head pipe will be a little louder than just baffles but not a lot louder like a twin cam. 

My 19 will get the fullsac MX head pipe when I can get enough put aside for a tuner.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »

I had a Bassani Road Rage system on my '18 Breakout and it was loud, but not like my old twin. Still, it screamed w/the 114.  I'm going to change the cam, and update the map on the PowerVision tuner, but still on the fence w/the head pipe.  I spoke to a local tuning shop here in NY that has been around for decades, and they say they see almost zero difference from a Bassani/Fullsac/Jackpot headpipe. 
2019 CVO Road Glide
1995 Fat Boy - sold

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:07:49 PM »

I do not know what size the baffles are in the SVT bone shakers,  Big baffles can cause a lost of low end torque.  Its best to have 1.75 to 2 inch baffles for the best low end torque, 2.25 do not suffer a loss in torque.  However mufflers with 2.5 and larger baffles suffer a loss in torque especially in the lower RPM.

A good head pipe will help HP and torque if properly tuned.  Fullsac makes a very good head pipe for the M8 motor, probably the best 2-1-2 head pipe available right now for a stock to mild build. 

I can tell you, on my 2018 CVO RG with the fullsac MX head pipe, his 2.25 baffles and a good tune, I picked up close to 8 HP and Torque.

On the M8 the head pipe will be a little louder than just baffles but not a lot louder like a twin cam. 

My 19 will get the fullsac MX head pipe when I can get enough put aside for a tuner.

Dave: The baffles are 2.5” All Steel no packing Louvered Style.  I just bought the Bassani 2X2 head pipe at Direct Cycle Parts for $331.  I can't imagine Fullsac has a superior product than an exhaust company like Bassani for twice the price, but what do I know :)  I'll let you know how it comes out.  Having my 1K service done, then I'll install the head pipe and tuner. 
2019 CVO Road Glide
1995 Fat Boy - sold

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »

Dave: The baffles are 2.5” All Steel no packing Louvered Style.  I just bought the Bassani 2X2 head pipe at Direct Cycle Parts for $331.  I can't imagine Fullsac has a superior product than an exhaust company like Bassani for twice the price, but what do I know :)  I'll let you know how it comes out.  Having my 1K service done, then I'll install the head pipe and tuner.

Check the many posts on Fullsac on this forum.  You will find that the common consensus here is Fullsac is the best bang for the buck.

Well, in 2009 I felt the same.  How could a 130 dollar baffle be better than the 600 dollar Vance and Hines Hi Output Slip ons.  A very well respected tuner out of FL, showed me, that my high dollar slip ons were down over 4 ft lbs of torque below 3000 rpm compared to the fullsac 2.0 baffles.   His are louvers, with a tech mat around the out side if you want. 

Then he explained that many of the pipe with the very low/deep sound have baffles that are 2.5" or bigger.  They do not generate enough back pressure in the exhaust system.  He also explained the 2.25 was as big as you should ever run on a Stock or even mildly modified bike.

I am running 2.25 baffles on my very built 13 CVO King, 138.5 HP and 140 Torque.  The bigger 2.5 baffles are not needed.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »

Just my experience, but I feel that the Fullsac is equal to or outperforms the Bassani on almost every build.  I don’t care what either one costs- I just see the results on the dyno.  Yes, the Fullsac is that good!
That said, you will more than likely be very satisfied with the Bassani.

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »

Just my experience, but I feel that the Fullsac is equal to or outperforms the Bassani on almost every build.  I don’t care what either one costs- I just see the results on the dyno.  Yes, the Fullsac is that good!
That said, you will more than likely be very satisfied with the Bassani.

agreed, a few HP in either direction is...what it is.  Just can't wait to ride....
2019 CVO Road Glide
1995 Fat Boy - sold

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »

Have a exhaust problem and see which one is more eager to help, Steve @ Fullsac or a phone lady @ Bassani's? And by this I mean a cracked or split pipe, after warranty or something otherwise structural.

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.