Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CB Tuning question.  (Read 993 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
CB Tuning question.
« on: March 18, 2019, 04:43:42 PM »

2006 CVO Ultra with the Harmon Kardon/CB built into the head unit.

How do I tune the antenna? I plan on buying an SWR meter (if you can recommend a brand I'd be happy), removing the fairing and hooking it up to the coax cable coming out of the CB radio.

Then what?
Key the hand held microphone and watch the needle swing over and then,....?
How do I know what it's telling me, and how do I know what needs to be done?

Any help with tuning the HD CB is appreciated.

Lastly, I was surfing the HD website. Why are there different CB antennas for bikes made before 2009? Can run I the CB antenna off my cousins 2016 on my 2006? I was using a shorter aftermarket CB antenna but the results were poor. Folks could hear me in the parking lot when we were picking channels, but on the road all they heard was radio break and garble. Even on a straight road with clear line of site. So in that respect I know the CB radio works, I just think it needs tuning.

Thanks
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: CB Tuning question.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 07:01:18 PM »

Although my bike has one I have not used a CB for 30 years or more, but I would think you could hook up the Meter inside the tourpak where the antenna cable connects to the mast base. Back in the older days you just loosened the set screw in the mast and moved it up or cut off a section of the base to shorten it until SWR became optimum.
Maybe things have changed and there is some way to do this more efficiently now. Sure someone on here has more recent experience in this matter.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:51:51 PM »

Connect swr meter between radio and coax inside the fairing.  Have a helper, so u can sit on the bike while you check the SWR.
You check the swr on ch 1, and on ch 40, but tune ot to lowest swr on 19, which is mid-way on the band.
It's not hard, but do not transmit for long periods, and do not cut anything shorter until you are SURE you need to cut it, then cut it by 1/16 in or so at a time.  I'm not sure if HD Antennas can be cut.  But I know you can install an aftermarket CB antenna that has an adjustable "stinger" on top, this is what I did on my 09 Ultra..
On my 2014 Limited I just installed the short HD antenna's and I'm happy. 

• If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
  • If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short.
Remember, long transmit sessions will heat your output final transistors, into a bad antenna and poof, blown finals.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:53:45 PM by r0de_runr »
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:46:57 PM »

Good info.  I tried to get SWR readings on my '06 or '07 (can't remember) but wasn't very successful.  I think I recall correctly that the meter should  be connected at the antenna end vs the radio end for an accurate reading.  Don't know how to do this on a Harley as the antenna end does not have a screw on connector to fit the SWR meter.  And at the radio end the connector is not the standard PL-259 connector but a mini version (don't know what the number for it) so you'll need an adapter.  Then the Harley antennas as was said don't lend themselves to being adjusted in length.  I gave up on trying to do this.  Wasn't really having a big problem but wanted to tune for best performance.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:48:31 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:13:23 AM »

A long time ago I remember starting to collect parts as I considered putting a CB on one of my early touring bikes. But then I remembered but I don't want to talk to people while I'm riding! 🤣

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:04:45 AM »

I remember a thread many years ago where this was discussed and another member suggested going to a large truck stop that had repair shop and they usually have a guy that tunes the CBs in the trucks and they can tune your bike CB for you. Not sure how many took that advice though.
Only other group of people still using CBs is maybe some state police agencies and maybe you could check with them for work on your bike?

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »

Good info.  I tried to get SWR readings on my '06 or '07 (can't remember) but wasn't very successful.  I think I recall correctly that the meter should  be connected at the antenna end vs the radio end for an accurate reading. 
The coax is part of the antenna and affects the SWR.  Connect SWR meter at the radio end.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:06:45 AM »

Well i found a CB / HAM Radio shop across the bay. I guess I'll ride out and take off the outer fairing. Any antenna cutting will have to be from the top down I guess.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.