Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How are you?  (Read 1219 times)

mfgreen

How are you?
« on: November 23, 2004, 06:24:14 PM »

With the increased factory issued additional torque and horsepower on all but the earliest CVO's, there is an inherent risk that the learning curve that was initially developed by many riders on other bikes or stock standard issue H-D models, the reaction times are not addressed, nor is the overall handling of the bike from the tires on up to the mirrors.  A sense of complacency settles into the rider, no matter the level of experience.  There is a sense that the CVO is improved through and through even though the truth is that they only have fancier paint jobs, additional chrome and additional power.  None of these things will help the rider when the decision making time is reduced by the increased velocity (reduced time) that the rider approaches impending disaster or escape.  So......how are you?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: How are you?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 08:32:17 PM »

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 08:40:20 PM »

Well, a little gassy today actually.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 08:46:17 PM by mfgreen »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 09:53:56 PM »

I'm doing fine, Thanks [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
While I agree that these bike have power, paint, and chrome upgrades, I feel that the other items, handling, braking, ect have improved depending on what Harley you were riding previously. For me coming from a 96 FLHR there has been a vast improvement. While my RK was a hotrod (95hp, 100 ft torque) the power at least for now, has not been a huge improvement. The bike is much smoother all across the RPM range and just floats down the highway at 85mph. the improvements in handling and braking has greatly improved. Most noticable is the front end dive while braking and the "flexing" in the frame in a hard corner.
Your point is well taken though. We should all check ourselves on a regular basis and practice the safe driving habits and defensive manouvers that we mostly forget because we are so comfortable on our rides.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 08:11:41 AM »

Thats why we expand on what the factry did,  by upgrading to better brakes(brembo) better shocks (progressive) heavier fork oil,etc. And I'm fine today thanks for asking.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mfgreen

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 09:13:28 AM »

Thats why we expand on what the factry did,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 12:03:24 PM »

rate the importance

With mine that's an easy one.  While there have been a few purely esthetic changes.  And a few changes for performance (Power Commander, pipes, muffler, breather).  In my opinion the single best thing that was done to make the bike ride better, more "solid" or stable or whatever one might choose to call it, and simply feel more secure through all the ranges of activity was to change the shocks.  That coupled with the heavier fork oil was a good combination change.  But the shocks brought a completely surprising (and pleasant) amount of difference.  After doing it on this one I simply can't believe I used the stock shocks on a few different Road Kings for so many years.

If I was told I could only make one change to the bike I'd leave the performance changes completely alone and change the shocks.  The decision would be easy.  (Then I'd sneak the other changes I wanted when no one was looking).

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.