Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Cams for a 95"  (Read 3352 times)

HongKongMike

What Cams for a 95"
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »

Hi, I need some suggestions for new cams on my '03 SED.
All I have done so far is change the exhaust to Bassani Pro-Streets, fit a SE Heavy Breather Air Cleaner and add a PCIII.
I want to know what would be a good cam for the bike as it is now, bearing in mind that I usually ride two-up (although our combined weight is only about 290lb), spend a few weeks at a time on the road so need good reliability, and I prefer a flatter torque-curve for cruising.
I will eventually have the heads ported, so are there any cams that would work well now that will also be OK once the heads are done, or should I just get the heads done now, and do the cams at the same time?
I would prefer to do things one step at a time - just so I can extend the pleasure of checking out the bike after each change!
Any help appreciated,
Mike

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
Re: What Cams for a 95"
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:37:28 AM »

I had a set of screamin Eagle 203's in my 95 build and was happy with it.Lots of bottom end torque.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »

The 203's are stock in the SED!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »

The 203's are stock in the SED!

Not far from the SE203s, but with TQ that comes in earlier.......and stronger.........Crane Cams HTC 310-2.  Mild cams, but just a tick more torque than the 203s.  Loved 'em in my 95" 02 Ultra.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:26:12 PM »

I built a 95" for my '04 Road King with Andrews 37g (gear drive) cams.  I was very pleased with the performance - good torque that comes on early.  I had a Doherty air cleaner, PCIII, minor head work from SBC, and V&H Ovals.  It was a good, strong, dependable motor.

Good luck
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:51:07 AM »

hkmike, with your total bike weight and 03 gearing, you can run more cam than the typical "torque " cams. but your porter need to work the heads for your selection. he will interview ya to decide what to put together so all components work in harmony. do the cams/headwork together. also, a piston change may be in order to support the required compression for cam choice.

let me bring the cam drive into the equation-------some cams are gear drive only. if deciding to go this route, you need to confirm runout before making plans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you have to go chain drive, then go with the 07 style plate and pump.

not quite as simple as just bolting in a cam is it?

HongKongMike

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:43:34 PM »

Thank you all for your help. As the last post says, not quite as easy as it looks! Guess I have a bit more reading to do...

Mike

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 08:52:17 AM »

hkmike, with your total bike weight and 03 gearing, you can run more cam than the typical "torque " cams. but your porter need to work the heads for your selection. he will interview ya to decide what to put together so all components work in harmony. do the cams/headwork together. also, a piston change may be in order to support the required compression for cam choice.

let me bring the cam drive into the equation-------some cams are gear drive only. if deciding to go this route, you need to confirm runout before making plans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you have to go chain drive, then go with the 07 style plate and pump.

not quite as simple as just bolting in a cam is it?

You could still use the new cam plate with the gear drive too. Many guys like the different bearing style and the oil pump is definitely better than the earlier ones. I guess it would just depend on how much you want to spend. But if you stay chain it's probably a really good idea. I plan on gear drive, but haven't checked my runout yet.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.