Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Barnett Clutches---A Slight Ooopsie  (Read 19763 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Barnett Clutches---A Slight Ooopsie
« on: March 10, 2008, 12:42:16 PM »

The red bike needed a clutch.  Barnett advertises one of their Scorpion line as being a direct drop in for the bikes with hydraulic clutches.  Not wanting to dink with Rivera's unspecified shortening of the clutch pushrod I decided to give it a try.

Install was direct and obvious.  There is almost no documentation with the product.  What is there, however, says to briefly pre-soak the clutch disks and that it's ok to use "any oil."  In one place the "any" part is even emphasized.  That's apparently where the oops comes in.

Buttoned it back up.  Rolled it off the lift.  Eyeballing everything before the primary went on it looked to have normal operation.  Before starting the engine engaging the clutch allowed easier working of the shifter as normal.  Not expecting any problems.

Rolling off the lift meant backing out in to the driveway just a bit.  Thanks god.

Started the engine with the bike in neutral.  Pulled the clutch lever and shifted to first (with the clutch lever still in).  And off she goes.

Clutch was not fully disengaged.  Engine was stout enough it didn't die and I didn't have a tight enough grip on the front brake to stop it. 

Before I have grabbed more front brake and reached for the kill switch (honestly don't know which I got first to kill it)  we'd cowboyed forward 10-12 feet Evil Knieveling the ramp to the lift and coming to stop way to damn close to the SERG setting in the other half of the garage.  I probably had a potty incident but didn't think to look.

The clutch basket is/was stuck together.  Talked to Barnett this morning.  Barely started to describe what it was doing and the tech rep interrupted to ask "pre-soak the disks in synthetic?" 

Did.  In Mobil 1.

They don't have to be pre-soaked.  And they've learned their clutch materials don't like synthetic oils.  Nice documentation almost cost me a major screw up in the garage.

After that I took the SERG for a ride to clear my head.

Probably tomorrow will run the red bike long enough to get the fluid warm and then try to pop the clutch a bit to get the disks unstuck from each other.  If that doesn't work will take the outer primary back off, wipe all the disks back down and use their (now) recommended "good type F ATF."  That is what makes their disks happiest.

So, if anyone ever does a Barnett clutch please learn from my short but wild ride.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re: Barnett Clutches---A Slight Ooopsie
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:48:27 PM »

The red bike needed a clutch.  Barnett advertises one of their Scorpion line as being a direct drop in for the bikes with hydraulic clutches.  Not wanting to dink with Rivera's unspecified shortening of the clutch pushrod I decided to give it a try.

Install was direct and obvious.  There is almost no documentation with the product.  What is there, however, says to briefly pre-soak the clutch disks and that it's ok to use "any oil."  In one place the "any" part is even emphasized.  That's apparently where the oops comes in.

Buttoned it back up.  Rolled it off the lift.  Eyeballing everything before the primary went on it looked to have normal operation.  Before starting the engine engaging the clutch allowed easier working of the shifter as normal.  Not expecting any problems.

Rolling off the lift meant backing out in to the driveway just a bit.  Thanks god.

Started the engine with the bike in neutral.  Pulled the clutch lever and shifted to first (with the clutch lever still in).  And off she goes.

Clutch was not fully disengaged.  Engine was stout enough it didn't die and I didn't have a tight enough grip on the front brake to stop it. 

Before I have grabbed more front brake and reached for the kill switch (honestly don't know which I got first to kill it)  we'd cowboyed forward 10-12 feet Evil Knieveling the ramp to the lift and coming to stop way to damn close to the SERG setting in the other half of the garage.  I probably had a potty incident but didn't think to look.

The clutch basket is/was stuck together.  Talked to Barnett this morning.  Barely started to describe what it was doing and the tech rep interrupted to ask "pre-soak the disks in synthetic?" 

Did.  In Mobil 1.

They don't have to be pre-soaked.  And they've learned their clutch materials don't like synthetic oils.  Nice documentation almost cost me a major screw up in the garage.

After that I took the SERG for a ride to clear my head.

Probably tomorrow will run the red bike long enough to get the fluid warm and then try to pop the clutch a bit to get the disks unstuck from each other.  If that doesn't work will take the outer primary back off, wipe all the disks back down and use their (now) recommended "good type F ATF."  That is what makes their disks happiest.

So, if anyone ever does a Barnett clutch please learn from my short but wild ride.
ah yes....  process learning!!!! 
im glad that you didnt have an accident ( except in your jockies!)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »

Don,

You just keep having more and more fun with that cherry... :zwtf:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »

Glad the bike is safe, well you too.  Who would have figured?

Barnett evidently needs someone that can run a computer to reprint the directions.

No more Mob 1 in all three holes evidently. 

Thanks for once again being the guinea pig Don  :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »

Don,

Ernie

But notice he now has a backup that is always sitting there waiting.

D/C---> pm that address

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »

I hate when I do stuff like that...or loose....misplace,er...loose things

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »

Glad you and the bikes are ok..  You read the directions and know what you are doing and barely escaped disaster.  Can't believe these companies are this incompetent.    :soapbox:

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 01:18:53 PM »

Ernie

But notice he now has a backup that is always sitting there waiting.

D/C---> pm that address

That's why some of us have multiple machines...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »

That's why some of us have multiple machines...

That's right Ernie, maybe Scot could learn from Don's experience :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 02:24:52 PM »

Don,

Ernie, came too close to popping the cherry that time.  In the end no harm and no foul though.  It's just a bit of  a surprise when you drop it in first while holding the clutch in and the bike decides to take off.

Worst part was I knew there was only about a bike's width between the lift and the SERG and it was not straight in front of me.  So while trying to kill it was also trying to point it.  Manged to get both done at about the same time.  It's just a good thing I'd done laundry the day before.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 02:27:23 PM »

Glad you and the bikes are ok..  You read the directions and know what you are doing and barely escaped disaster.  Can't believe these companies are this incompetent.    :soapbox:

The tech rep this morning even mentioned that they really needed to reprint those directions.  It's apparently not something that happens everytime.  But it sure as hell happens often enough that he knew what I was going to ask before I'd even gotten to the point in the description of saying that the clutch wasn't disengaged.  So they've been there and done that before.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »

Who would have figured?

That was just it Rog.  We try to consider all the possibilities.  Be as prepared as we can.  Scan traffic.  Scan loads on vehicles in front of us or that we're passing.  Etc etc etc.  Still, you just can't think of everything every time. 

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 02:38:37 PM »

Well chit, you don't think about traffic and obstacles in your garage, especially when you're holding the clutch!  I'm just glad that there was no damage!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 03:00:32 PM »

Now that all's well that ends well, I hope you don't mind hearing that I had to chuckle at the visual of you performing the Evel Knievel/cowboy walk with a warm trickle going down your leg...

That being said, it sure seems much more common than not to question anything and everything these days.  No longer can you rely on suppliers of ANYTHING to be competent, correct and complete.

Here is an example of incompetence that entered my world today...

When I purchased my Bushtec trailer last fall, I applied for the state required license plate.  The application asked the question of whether you preferred the full size or motorcycle size plate.  I chose the motorcycle size plate.  Of course, the state sent the full size plate.  I filled out the appropriate paperwork and returned it (along with the full size plate) - and the state replaced it with the motorcycle size plate.  In today's mail, I received the renewal for the plate - or should I say plates.  The state sent me a renewal statement (and bill) for both the full size and the motorcycle size plate.  So, I called our state's customer friendly DMV.  Of course, there is a form I can fill out to cancel the renewal of the full size plate - but they also would like me to return my full size plate (that I no longer have - because last fall I had to return the full size plate before they would send the smaller size plate....).   Bureaucracy then ensued - catch 22 at its best.

Long story short, I told the nice lady that I would send in the renewal for the motorcycle size plate - and throw the renewal for the full size plate in the trash.  And if they could not figure out how to correct their multitude of errors prior to next years renewal, I would again send in the renewal for the motorcycle size plate and throw the full size renewal in the trash - and so on and so on for as many years necessary.......  She tried to explain why I should not do this - but then the phone mysteriously went dead....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »

Now that all's well that ends well, I hope you don't mind hearing that I had to chuckle at the visual of you performing the Evel Knievel/cowboy walk with a warm trickle going down your leg...

That being said, it sure seems much more common than not to question anything and everything these days.  No longer can you rely on suppliers of ANYTHING to be competent, correct and complete.

Here is an example of incompetence that entered my world today...

When I purchased my Bushtec trailer last fall, I applied for the state required license plate.  The application asked the question of whether you preferred the full size or motorcycle size plate.  I chose the motorcycle size plate.  Of course, the state sent the full size plate.  I filled out the appropriate paperwork and returned it (along with the full size plate) - and the state replaced it with the motorcycle size plate.  In today's mail, I received the renewal for the plate - or should I say plates.  The state sent me a renewal statement (and bill) for both the full size and the motorcycle size plate.  So, I called our state's customer friendly DMV.  Of course, there is a form I can fill out to cancel the renewal of the full size plate - but they also would like me to return my full size plate (that I no longer have - because last fall I had to return the full size plate before they would send the smaller size plate....).   Bureaucracy then ensued - catch 22 at its best.

Long story short, I told the nice lady that I would send in the renewal for the motorcycle size plate - and throw the renewal for the full size plate in the trash.  And if they could not figure out how to correct their multitude of errors prior to next years renewal, I would again send in the renewal for the motorcycle size plate and throw the full size renewal in the trash - and so on and so on for as many years necessary.......  She tried to explain why I should not do this - but then the phone mysteriously went dead....

:2vrolijk_21:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.