Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TSB on '08 brakes  (Read 4556 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
TSB on '08 brakes
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:08:46 AM »

I talked with a friend who works for a HD shop out of state from me the other day.  He said there was a technical service bulletin out because of the brake squeal that's been reported by many (including myself) on this site.  I didn't bet the low down, but when I called the local shop to go over my service ticket re the "product enhancement campaign" I asked about it, and was told that yes indeed the dealers got a TSB and they would look at my brakes. 
My question is, does anyone know what the problem is, and what this service bulletin is supposed to do?
I have the Lyndall Z+ pads but haven't installed them yet.  (Only my back brake squeals.  -The Z+ pads are to replace the Gold pads which I put on, and DO squeal).
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Re: TSB on '08 brakes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 07:37:26 AM »

a net search yielded this...

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 08:15:52 AM »

I read that bulletin once before somewhere, and it makes no more sense on the second reading then it did on the first.  H-D really does need to hire some decent technical writers and proofreaders.
------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE
If rear brake pad friction material of either pad is worn to
0.016 in. (0.4 mm) or less above the backing plate, obtain the
ANTI-NOISE PAD & PASTE KIT 41852-08A. Perform the service
procedure as explained in the included instruction sheet.
The need for an ANTI-NOISE PAD & PASTE KIT is considered
normal wear and is not covered under warranty.

------------------------------------------------------------
I think I need an interpreter.  I'm wondering if the 41852-08A kit, as opposed to the 41852-08 called out earlier in the bulletin, includes new pads?  If the current pads are worn, H-D will replace the pads and apply the paste at your expense.  If you just have the noise and the pads aren't worn, H-D will pay to apply the paste to the old pads, even though it won't be a lasting "fix".

Do yourself a favor and forget this BS.  Buy a good set of aftermarket pads.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »

Jerry
[/quote]

Thanks, Jerry.  I appreciate knowing what the TSB is all about.  (Another bunch of BS)
I'm going to put the Lyndall Racing Z+ pads on and I'm sure I'll be happy. 
I'll have to do it myself, and I hope it's no different than replacing pads on a non-ABS bike.  -Steve

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry.  I appreciate knowing what the TSB is all about.  (Another bunch of BS)
I'm going to put the Lyndall Racing Z+ pads on and I'm sure I'll be happy. 
I'll have to do it myself, and I hope it's no different than replacing pads on a non-ABS bike.  -Steve

The Lyndall Z+ pads are not the racing pads. Don't use the racing pads. You won't be happy with them on a street bike! LRB, Lyndall Racing Brakes is the name of the company. But don't order their racing brakes. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »

The Lyndall Z+ pads are not the racing pads. Don't use the racing pads. You won't be happy with them on a street bike! LRB, Lyndall Racing Brakes is the name of the company. But don't order their racing brakes. ;)

Hoist! 8)

I already have the pads.  They are replacing the Gold+ racing pads I had previously purchased from Lyndall.  -Steve

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »

I already have the pads.  They are replacing the Gold+ racing pads I had previously purchased from Lyndall.  -Steve

I remember reading that Steve. Just trying to point it out to the unknowing. They can easily look at someting other than their Z+ pads, but shouldn't! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 11:51:50 AM »

I am sure that there are many solutions to this aggravation.
However, After having brake pads replaced by dealer, at No Charge, he stated that they have an allowance that they can use at their descretion for replacing brake pads, I still had the very irritating squeal.
When I took the bike in for the 0906 Service, and other enhancements, I reminded him that the squeal was still there.
He said that the MOCO had just sent him a paste kit that goes on pads and it works!
I have put on an easy 1000 miles and No Noise out of the rear brakes.
Mine was covered under Warranty, but they did say for out of warranty it would be a $35.00 Charge.

Sawyer Ghost

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 05:27:38 PM »

I am sure that there are many solutions to this aggravation.
However, After having brake pads replaced by dealer, at No Charge, he stated that they have an allowance that they can use at their descretion for replacing brake pads, I still had the very irritating squeal.
When I took the bike in for the 0906 Service, and other enhancements, I reminded him that the squeal was still there.
He said that the MOCO had just sent him a paste kit that goes on pads and it works!
I have put on an easy 1000 miles and No Noise out of the rear brakes.
Mine was covered under Warranty, but they did say for out of warranty it would be a $35.00 Charge.

Thanks for the info.  Now I can tell MY dealer to try this stuff for free, I'm under warranty.  (At this point I'll probably have to wait til spring to put my Lyndall pads in).  -Steve

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 03:14:41 PM »

This paste sounds suspiciously similar to copper slip as we call it in the UK, Its quite normal practice to smear it between the pad and piston on any disc brake, car or bike. 

Kev   :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.