Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Re-painted FXR3--comments?  (Read 12904 times)

RedFXR2

Re-painted FXR3--comments?
« on: December 11, 2008, 12:30:59 PM »

I’m not posting this as a notice of a FXR3 for sale—rather for comment.  This is a FXR3 that’s been completely re-painted, for whatever reason--preference or maybe accident repair.  We’ve talked before about if the CVO factory paint jobs effectively mark our bikes as definitely CVO products and if that’s important.  Just thought I’d throw this up here for comment.  So what does everybody think?  Is this FXR3 still a FXR3, or is now another custom FXR?  A quote from the ad:

“The paint has been upgraded to a custom black and flame job, the stock paint on these bikes looks a little dated.”

If anything, I think this paint job is dated.

Just under 30K miles.  Buy it now for $8995.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-Dyna-FXR-SPECIAL-ED-WOW-1999-HARLEY-FXR3-CVO-SCREAMIN-EAGLE-MAKE-OFFER_W0QQitemZ400015552542QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item400015552542&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

RedFXR2

Re: Re-painted FXR3--comments?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:31:55 PM »

Another view:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »

l don't like it, I think the stock paint job is much nicer than that black and silver
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

elvislee

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »

There was I time when I first purchased my Fxr4 I thought about repainting. After much thought and more conversing with folks here in the Fxr section I began to learn the history of the CVO, the Fxr and the mindset of many who own these beautiful bikes.

As it stands now; no way I would repaint my Fxr4. I would consider repaint with new tins and keeping the stock tins in the attic; but never would I repaint the stock...No Way!...No How!

I guess I'm more of a traditional type of fellow when it comes to bikes; I have always enjoyed the stock paint schemes from the MOCO. Think about many of the old vintage scoots still in stock condition from 20-60 years ago that are out there today; IMHO, ya can't go wrong and hopefully ours in there stock condition will be looked at 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 years from now with as much awe.

To answer your question; to me it's just another Fxr, and not one I would purchase. I can think of many older models I would rather have in there as close to stock condition  :2vrolijk_21:

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »

There was I time when I first purchased my Fxr4 I thought about repainting. After much thought and more conversing with folks here in the Fxr section I began to learn the history of the CVO, the Fxr and the mindset of many who own these beautiful bikes.

I guess I'm more of a traditional type of fellow when it comes to bikes; I have always enjoyed the stock paint schemes from the MOCO. Think about many of the old vintage scoots still in stock condition from 20-60 years ago that are out there today; IMHO, ya can't go wrong and hopefully ours in there stock condition will be looked at 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 years from now with as much awe.

I'm with elvis.  I've seen some CVO bikes, baggers specifically, where the owner has added some enhancements to the CVO paint that IMO, looked quite good...sometimes.  But lose the paint entirely and you've lost the "signature" of the CVO.

Somewhere on this board, a member mentioned adding some carefully coordinated accents to the side covers of a  "4", using the same colors and style as found on the tank and fenders.  I can see that if it was done right--to look "factory".  Me, I sort of thought about it back when I was having my custom side covers done--I was at a custom paint shop a few times and seeing all that beautiful art on other peoples' motorcycle parts had me looking at my single color thinking it was downright plain by comparison.  But (IMO) the single color is nowadays quite unique and one of the things I like about my bike.  And certainly what makes it a CVO.

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »

About the re-painted FXR3.  Here's the VIN:

1HD1ETL45XY951181

Anybody care to guess if it was blue or green?  It appears to be lower than the lowest blue number that we have on the registry.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:27:07 PM by RedFXR2 »

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »

I agree, it makes this bike just another fxr...aside from the flame job done to it not very good looking to boot. :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 03:28:03 PM »

About the re-painted FXR3.  Here's the VIN:

1HD1ETL45XY951181

Anybody care to guess if it was blue or green?  It appears to be lower than the lowest blue number that we have on the registry.

Was just thinking how sickening it would be if it were a blue one.  Well, actually double-sickening, since I do like the green ones, too, and stock FXR3 paint is 1000 times better than that clobbered up-looking deal. :puke:

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 03:50:16 PM »

Mike....

Thanks for doing what you did.....great conversation peace.....!!!

Does anyone have a good "photo shop" where they could make that bike all "black" I would like to see it that way.....

As for myself.....I am not particularly fond of this person's paint job....trying to replicate "flames" is tough when all we do is look at the "flames" HD designed for this "theme" already for both the blue and the green....unfortunately "these" flames just look awful.......

I however feel though it's "more" "....than just another other FXR.....".  In fact, unfortunately if any of us as CVO FXR Owner's have our bikes go down we are going to most likely be left with this quandry for sure.....heck I saw an FXR3 brand new tank (green) sell for $700.00 just about 4 weeks ago....you can still see it in completed sales if interested.....the photo may be disappearing soon however.....as we all know EBAY does that.  The tank was being sold by a Tulsa HD Dealer who had it as an "NOS" (New Old Stock) and instead of keeping it put it on EBAY and it sold as a BUY IT NOW PRICE of $700.00 within 4 days....

I have pretty much resigned myself that if my bike ever went down....of course I would try to replace through HD but I am pretty sure it's going to become quite difficult if not impossible which means painting it differently anyway.....

But I assure you there are enough engine differences between 94-99 and other little "upgrades" on the bike that it's more than simply just "another FXR".....BUTTTTTT the interesting discussion for this bike in particular is what is it worth without the "original" OEM paint from a resale point of view.....what maybe $7,000.00 tops? ? ? ? ?  What do you guys think? ? ? ? ?  At some point $$$$ anyone of us would purchase that bike.....and at some point $$$$ it would be worth nothing to us without the original OEM paint. I realize by saying that it may only be worth $7,000.00 because of the OEM paint missing, that my logic here would be perhaps stating then that it's "....just another FXR.... " but....the essence of our CVO FXR's have a lot to do with the OEM PAINT.....to the tune of what, maybeeeee $2,000.00 or so? just because they are "restricted" colors....I am not saying the OEM paint is that "special" it's just that from a "value" $$$ stand point it's got to be worth something in that range.....So I am saying that one should penalize a bike without the OEM Paint because it's not there buttttt at the same time it's more than "......just another FXR......"  Doesn't make sense does it....LOL

LAUGHING so how many of you are NOW contemplating.....taking off your OEM paint from your CVO FXR's....lol......personally I am not....this is a "material" possession meant to be enjoyed and used......I won't pull it off to "save it".  But Mike it's a great question for many to discuss....since perhaps many do not know how difficult it will be to replace....

Now if this FXR Owner decided to repaint the bike......YIKES!!!!!.....would be interesting to know what happened to the "original OEM paint.....just for grins...oh and I say it was GREEN!.

Regards,

Tim

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »

I personnally do not like that paint job, but I bought my FXR because its the last EVO and last FXR.  I'm sure that even with the CVO paint job, it will get a lot of "what the heck is that? Without the CVO paint, it will not get noticed much at all.  The guys I hang with don't know what an FXR is or even an EVO for that matter. Older guys that have been riding for a while might know what it is and can appreciate its uniqueness and that its the end of an era.
Heck, a lot of riders don't know what my 2007 SE Road King is. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

elvislee

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 04:32:05 PM »

Mike....

Does anyone have a good "photo shop" where they could make that bike all "black" I would like to see it that way.....

As for myself.....I am not particularly fond of this person's paint job....trying to replicate "flames" is tough when all we do is look at the "flames" HD designed for this "theme" already for both the blue and the green....unfortunately "these" flames just look awful.......

I however feel though it's "more" "....than just another other FXR.....".  In fact, unfortunately if any of us as CVO FXR Owner's have our bikes go down we are going to most likely be left with this quandry for sure.....heck I saw an FXR3 brand new tank (green) sell for $700.00 just about 4 weeks ago....you can still see it in completed sales if interested.....the photo may be disappearing soon however.....as we all know EBAY does that.  The tank was being sold by a Tulsa HD Dealer who had it as an "NOS" (New Old Stock) and instead of keeping it put it on EBAY and it sold as a BUY IT NOW PRICE of $700.00 within 4 days....

I have pretty much resigned myself that if my bike ever went down....of course I would try to replace through HD but I am pretty sure it's going to become quite difficult if not impossible which means painting it differently anyway.....

But I assure you there are enough engine differences between 94-99 and other little "upgrades" on the bike that it's more than simply just "another FXR".....BUTTTTTT the interesting discussion for this bike in particular is what is it worth without the "original" OEM paint from a resale point of view.....what maybe $7,000.00 tops? ? ? ? ?  What do you guys think? ? ? ? ?  At some point $$$$ anyone of us would purchase that bike.....and at some point $$$$ it would be worth nothing to us without the original OEM paint. I realize by saying that it may only be worth $7,000.00 because of the OEM paint missing, that my logic here would be perhaps stating then that it's "....just another FXR.... " but....the essence of our CVO FXR's have a lot to do with the OEM PAINT.....to the tune of what, maybeeeee $2,000.00 or so? just because they are "restricted" colors....I am not saying the OEM paint is that "special" it's just that from a "value" $$$ stand point it's got to be worth something in that range.....So I am saying that one should penalize a bike without the OEM Paint because it's not there buttttt at the same time it's more than "......just another FXR......"  Doesn't make sense does it....LOL

LAUGHING so how many of you are NOW contemplating.....taking off your OEM paint from your CVO FXR's....lol......personally I am not....this is a "material" possession meant to be enjoyed and used......I won't pull it off to "save it".  But Mike it's a great question for many to discuss....since perhaps many do not know how difficult it will be to replace....
Now if this FXR Owner decided to repaint the bike......YIKES!!!!!.....would be interesting to know what happened to the "original OEM paint.....just for grins...oh and I say it was GREEN!.

Regards,

Tim

Well as I said, I have contemplated removing my original tins and replacing with newly purchased tins repainted to my taste. Then to do it is another thing; I'm not sure I could. Being that $$$$$ are hard to come by for me I probably couldn't but if I had money to burn I might consider it. Now, as every day goes by; I really love my Fxr4 and its paint as stock and not a day hasn't gone by that I don't like it even more; so who knows, maybe one day when I hit the lottery or you Tim send some of those many $$$ you have my way, I might think about it. With that said, it don't look like its gonna happen does it?  ;D Probably would buy another Fxr and paint that baby to my liking and leave my sexy Sarah just as she is  :2vrolijk_21:

RedFXR2

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »

.....heck I saw an FXR3 brand new tank (green) sell for $700.00 just about 4 weeks ago....you can still see it in completed sales if interested.....the photo may be disappearing soon however.....as we all know EBAY does that.

I saw that tank--thought about buying it....but hard to explain to the wife. ;D

In my case, having the side covers painted to match so exactly by a local shop convinced me that I could (in case of disaster) replicate "Arresting Red" quite well locally.  The tank logo decal would be the tricky part but we got really close to matching the look with the side cover graphics.  Anyway, I'm not sure I'd go to HD at all and I'd come out so close that it would take quite a detective to ever know it wasn't original paint.

But I assure you there are enough engine differences between 94-99 and other little "upgrades" on the bike that it's more than simply just "another FXR".....

Fair enough.  I should have said something like "for all practical purposes, to most folks, would it be just another FXR?"

And I, too, would say it was green.

elvislee

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 05:01:10 PM »

Mike....

But I assure you there are enough engine differences between 94-99 and other little "upgrades" on the bike that it's more than simply just "another FXR".....BUTTTTTT the interesting discussion for this bike in particular is what is it worth without the "original" OEM paint from a resale point of view.....what maybe $7,000.00 tops? ? ? ? ?  What do you guys think? ? ? ? ?  At some point $$$$ anyone of us would purchase that bike.....and at some point $$$$ it would be worth nothing to us without the original OEM paint. I realize by saying that it may only be worth $7,000.00 because of the OEM paint missing, that my logic here would be perhaps stating then that it's "....just another FXR.... " but....the essence of our CVO FXR's have a lot to do with the OEM PAINT.....to the tune of what, maybeeeee $2,000.00 or so? just because they are "restricted" colors....I am not saying the OEM paint is that "special" it's just that from a "value" $$$ stand point it's got to be worth something in that range.....So I am saying that one should penalize a bike without the OEM Paint because it's not there buttttt at the same time it's more than "......just another FXR......"  Doesn't make sense does it....LOL

Regards,

Tim

GOOD point; as Mike said, I didn't think of that either...Still, I wouldn't buy it as a CVO Fxr if not the original paint unless the price was so low I could replace the custom painted tins with it's OEM stock ones or could afford to have the repaint to stock at a price that was worth the purchase :2vrolijk_21:

RedFXR2

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »

This bike would not appeal to me if I was looking for a CVO FXR.  On the other hand, I'v sometimes thought (one of those "If I won the lottery" things) that it would be fun to get a second FXR and play with it, including custom paint.  For that purpose, this bike would be a good candidate since, as has been pointed out, it would have all the most recent refinements to Evo motors and a relatively young FXR frame.

I have this simmering desire to paint a FXR sort of like my old 1974 Triumph.  Black and Mango gold with white pinstripes. I could do that with this FXR3 easy.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »

speaking of Triumph.....take a peek:

HOW TRIUMPH IS MADE

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:24:57 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »

In my case, having the side covers painted to match so exactly by a local shop convinced me that I could (in case of disaster) replicate "Arresting Red" quite well locally.  The tank logo decal would be the tricky part but we got really close to matching the look with the side cover graphics.  Anyway, I'm not sure I'd go to HD at all and I'd come out so close that it would take quite a detective to ever know it wasn't original paint.

Mike~~

I too have had success matching the "arresting red" color of my bike to a "perfect" match....the only issue facing both of us is the Hologram HARLEY DAVIDSON but perhaps with the right painter even that could be accomplished.....

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »

speaking of Triumph.....take a peek:

HOW TRIUMPH IS MADE

Regards,

Tim

That's a good one.  Saw it a while back.  Gotta love (or at least have an appreciation for) British humor.

Come to think of it, "getting" British humor was important in the 1970's for Triumph ownership as well.  I could either laugh or cry. ;D

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »

Come to think of it, "getting" British humor was important in the 1970's for Triumph ownership as well.  I could either laugh or cry

LOL..... :bananarock:

Regards,

Tim

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 03:42:02 AM »

Paint job is blunt, the flames have no common line of sight. This bike ain't no CVO anymore. 2c.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

elvislee

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »

This bike would not appeal to me if I was looking for a CVO FXR.  On the other hand, I'v sometimes thought (one of those "If I won the lottery" things) that it would be fun to get a second FXR and play with it, including custom paint.  For that purpose, this bike would be a good candidate since, as has been pointed out, it would have all the most recent refinements to Evo motors and a relatively young FXR frame.

I have this simmering desire to paint a FXR sort of like my old 1974 Triumph.  Black and Mango gold with white pinstripes. I could do that with this FXR3 easy.

Mike, you got any full view pics of this Triumph? Would love to see em if you can :2vrolijk_21:

RedFXR2

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »

Mike, you got any full view pics of this Triumph? Would love to see em if you can :2vrolijk_21:

Nope.  That bike was mine waaaay befoe the days of digital cameras.  And what few conventional photos I had have mostly been lost.  There might be one in a box in the attic.

But here are some photos of the same bike I found on the web.  Those bikes (and most British bikes of that era) were both beautiful and troublesome at the same time.  (women?)  Mine had paint as smooth as glass and hand-laid pinstripes that were perfect.  The chrome was some of the deepest I've ever seen.  The frame used semi-ornamental cast lugs at the joints instead of butted welds--like a fine hand-made bicycle .  When it ran, it ran great and handled super.  The down side was metal used in the engine that was too soft--fasteners would round off at the drop of a hat and the pushrods would mushroom at the ends making valve adjustment short-lived.  I mean like 20 miles.  And of course it leaked at the gasket surfaces.  Most Brit Bike folks still talk about horrible British electrical systems, but that was one area that never gave me any trouble.

I sold it to a Triumph mechanic from a dealership who knew all about the maladies and had fixes ready for all of them, so I didn't have to soft pedal the troubles and he wasn't scared of them.

http://www.ronh.org/t150v_hr.htm

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:55:59 PM by RedFXR2 »

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »

I assume there is no possibility to purchase replacement tins from the MoCo?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 10:28:27 PM »

I assume there is no possibility to purchase replacement tins from the MoCo?

I think they've discontinued supplying tins for them. But I'll bet Gene can get it done properly!!! If I wanted to return the paint to stock, I wouldn't think twice or worry about having Gene bring the bike back to original. And for LOADS less than buying new painted CVO tins from HD!!! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.paintbygene.com/

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »

I found another re-painted FXR3 on ebay.

Something doesn't look right about the front end--too much rake, maybe?  Handlebars pulled back too far, maybe?  And the fork legs aren't chrome.  This paint job isn't even custom, IMO, so why wouldn't the owner re-paint in the original scheme?  I mean, if something happened to the bike to necessitate new paint, why do this over the original scheme?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »

I'm guessing the forks aren't chrome since they would've had to be replaced to accomodate that dual piston caliper on there.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »

I'll bet he crashed, and that was the easiest way to put it back together! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »

nothing wrong with basic black, but i'll never understand giving up a CVO paint scheme for it
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 02:29:33 PM »

nothing wrong with basic black, but i'll never understand giving up a CVO paint scheme for it

I'm thinking if he crashed, either it was too difficult or too expensive, to deal with replacing a CVO FXR3 paint job. The painted parts are no longer available. ;)

Hoist! 8)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »

um, if i recall neanderpaul got a new fxr3 tank a couple of years ago
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »

um, if i recall neanderpaul got a new fxr3 tank a couple of years ago

Someone checked recently though and said they're no longer available. I've never checked myself, but would prolly send my stuff to Paint By Gene if I ever need any paint work on mine anyway! ;)

Hoist! 8)

elvislee

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »

Uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm! I wonder if originally it was Blue or Green ??? Either way; It's a shame.

I just sent the seller a msg asking what the original color was; the VIN is 1HD1ETL46XY951464

Just curious
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:20:12 PM by elvislee »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 08:37:15 PM »

Uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm! I wonder if originally it was Blue or Green ??? Either way; It's a shame.

I just sent the seller a msg asking what the original color was; the VIN is 1HD1ETL46XY951464

Just curious

Very ambitious Blaine! :2vrolijk_21:

It would be a sad thing to see on a BLUE3, but we'd have found another one out of the 64! ;)

Hoist! 8)

RedFXR2

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 08:49:33 PM »

Uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm! I wonder if originally it was Blue or Green ???

The ad on ebay says it's metallic dark green.  Kinda hard to tell from the photo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___1999-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FXR3-MOTORCYCLE_W0QQitemZ350156964559QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item350156964559&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

elvislee

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 08:55:37 PM »

I’m not posting this as a notice of a FXR3 for sale—rather for comment.  This is a FXR3 that’s been completely re-painted, for whatever reason--preference or maybe accident repair.  We’ve talked before about if the CVO factory paint jobs effectively mark our bikes as definitely CVO products and if that’s important.  Just thought I’d throw this up here for comment.  So what does everybody think?  Is this FXR3 still a FXR3, or is now another custom FXR?  A quote from the ad:

“The paint has been upgraded to a custom black and flame job, the stock paint on these bikes looks a little dated.”

If anything, I think this paint job is dated.

Just under 30K miles.  Buy it now for $8995.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-Dyna-FXR-SPECIAL-ED-WOW-1999-HARLEY-FXR3-CVO-SCREAMIN-EAGLE-MAKE-OFFER_W0QQitemZ400015552542QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item400015552542&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

This sale ended but got the VIN on this one also......1HD1ETL45XY951181...It would be interesting to know what colors both these originally were.

elvislee

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »

REGGAB

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 08:29:40 AM »

Nothing wrong with a Road King............but I'll never understand why anyone would want to put a fairing on one.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

Different Strokes!

Personally, I'm diggin' that bike just like it is, but.......wassup with the primary?  I thought derby was three screws on an Evo.  Like Howie says, possible wreck that became a "cobblization" of whatever cheapest, available parts could be found.

elvislee

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »

I found another re-painted FXR3 on ebay.

Something doesn't look right about the front end--too much rake, maybe?  Handlebars pulled back too far, maybe?  And the fork legs aren't chrome.  This paint job isn't even custom, IMO, so why wouldn't the owner re-paint in the original scheme?  I mean, if something happened to the bike to necessitate new paint, why do this over the original scheme?

Sent msg the other day as to original color of this bike?

A fellow responded back the "Original color is green) Not WAS GREEN ???

I responded back and specifically asked him to please tell me the ORIGINAL STOCK COLOR of the bike from the factory to the dealer? I specifically asked him was it BLUE FLAME or GREEN FLAME?

Got a response back today from the same guy telling me I needed to contact the owner of the bike for the answers to these questions and he gave me a phone number.

I replied back and told I was sorry that I had bothered him and all I needed to know was the original stock color;, but then I added and asked him if it had been wrecked and why did the owner repaint a CVO bike? Anyway, It sounds a bit fishy ta me; especially if I were bidding.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:14:22 PM by elvislee »

dirtyoldman

• 0 to 100 in WTF?!?!
  • Junior CVO Member
  • ain't retired,,, I'm at RECESS!!

• CVO1: 09 CVO FATBOB
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 01:14:35 PM »

re: original color,,,   isnt the color ID part of the vin #?  or didnt they do that "back in the day,,,,"
'til that time, Ustes, 'til that time,,,

elvislee

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »

re: original color,,,   isnt the color ID part of the vin #?  or didnt they do that "back in the day,,,,"

That's what I was thinking also; but looking in my Service Manual of my Fxr4, the VIN is broken down as to identify the numbers in the vin and I just don't see where the color of the bike is noted in the VIN... :nixweiss:

1 HD11 -  These letters and numbers are not identified

EV       -  Model Designation...In this case the Fxr4

L         -  Engine Type...L = Carburated

1         -  This number can be 1-5..1 = Regular Introduction Date, 2 = Mid-Year Intro Date, 3=Calif Only, 4= Spec Edition, 5 = Spec Edition Ca. Only

Y         -  Model Year...Y = year 2000

Y         -  Assembly Plant...Y = York, Pa.

95001   -  Sequential Number...???????

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:  ;D

One thing I do know and I ain't confused about; that ain't stock from the factory  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:47:29 PM by elvislee »

dirtyoldman

• 0 to 100 in WTF?!?!
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »

I guess I could see how someone would want a CVO bike, but a unique look. I could not afford to build up a Stock 'BOB' to match my FXDFSE including paint, but I fell in love with my paint and it ain't changin'!!!

elvislee

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 02:19:35 PM »

Hey, when it comes right down to it; anybody can do whatever they want to their bike.  :2vrolijk_21: I was only curious as to if the owner or seller of this bike could tell me the original color of this bike. The Blue 3's are such rare bikes that I would hate to see someone had changed colors for that reason only. As others have said in this forum; rather than change the colors of the original tins, just buy new tins and have the originals stored. I understand there may be reasons someone would choose to repaint the stock color (whatever they are) rather than buy new tins to repaint. Bottom line...it's your bike; do what ya want with it; but, would still like to know if it was originally Blue stock paint or green stock paint?  :2vrolijk_21:

dirtyoldman

• 0 to 100 in WTF?!?!
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »

true,, in reality a repaint is actually devalueing the bike, but making the similar models more rare.  hmmm  :idea3: If i could just convince a thousand or so FXDFSE owners to repaint theirs,,,  mine would be hella rare!!   :devil:

:cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:
Rednecks on Parade!!

elvislee

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 03:41:44 AM »

Don't tell everybody your idea  ;) :grin2:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:45:26 AM by elvislee »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 21 queries.