Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "V" Dark Spot on Hi Beam  (Read 2479 times)

DREBBIN

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA # 22419
"V" Dark Spot on Hi Beam
« on: September 28, 2005, 06:28:44 AM »

On my 06 I have a wide V-shaped dark spot when I use my hi beams -- right in the middle of the road where I'd kinda like to "more" light.  I did but the PIAA H11 in the low beam -- as usual --wow what a difference.  Where do ya figure this V blank spot is coming from in the NEW DUAL BULB HEADLAMP ? Yes, I do miss that light pattern from the Gold Wing - truly like aircraft landing lights.  DREBBIN
IBA # 22419
SS1K
SS1K

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Re: "V" Dark Spot on Hi Beam
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 10:48:50 AM »

I to have not been overly excited about the headlight in my 06 SE, I broke down on Saturday and ordered the HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp Kit Part # 68094-06 from my local HD dealer. The dealer said the install process is quite extensive as the fairing must be pulled to install a ballast and necessary wiring. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would buy a $524.95 headlamp but I love to ride at night and if the headlamp is as good as all the reports I have read it will be worth it.

My local HD dealer will be installing the headlamp on Oct. 6 along with a few other goodies, I promise to give a full report if the extra dollars are worth it.

Hey no one tell my buddy thats buying my stock dual bulb headlamp that I don't like it. LOL
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 10:51:05 AM by jeffj »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 01:04:19 PM »

My local HD dealer will be installing the headlamp on Oct. 6 along with a few other goodies, I promise to give a full report if the extra dollars are worth it.

Hey no one tell my buddy thats buying my stock dual bulb headlamp that I don't like it. LOL

Jeff, I'll be looking forward to hearing your impressions of the new headlight.  I have HID headlights on my car and they are awesome!  $525 is a lot, but not if it helps you see better.

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 07:29:30 PM »

I have the same V spot on mine. From the way some folks were talking on another post I was thinking mine was wired wrong,ie the low beam and high beam are swapped. Let me ask you this is your high beam the upper or lower bulb?  I'm with you for a headlight that suppose to be better it sucks.
[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

DREBBIN

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA # 22419
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 06:06:43 AM »

I have the same V spot on mine. From the way some folks were talking on another post I was thinking mine was wired wrong,ie the low beam and high beam are swapped. Let me ask you this is your high beam the upper or lower bulb?
IBA # 22419
SS1K
SS1K

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 12:29:50 PM »

Put me on the not too happy with stock light list. I did gain a little by really adjusting the light to shine a lot higher. This high beam is a bit poor in the way of pattern.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but did anyone
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 12:30:46 PM by fxdjerry »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 12:57:10 PM »

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but did anyone
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 06:32:11 PM »

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would buy a $524.95 headlamp but I love to ride at night and if the headlamp is as good as all the reports I have read it will be worth it.

Actualy $525 for a HID headlight is fairly resonable.  For a Honda S2000 the control unit is $231.10, the bulb is $175.00 and the igniter (connects bulb to control unit) is $197.37.  
[smiley=nervous.gif]

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 07:09:12 PM »

Does anyone know how much heat is produced by the 'ballast' on this light?  And if it's considerable, will it have any negative impact on the other electronics, etc. in the fairing?  I don't like the sound of having an 'igniter' up there... [smiley=nervous.gif]....that should be behind me.  Where's Fired00d when we need him?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Har!   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.