Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One quart low after first 600 miles  (Read 2373 times)

sturbee

• Scooter guy
One quart low after first 600 miles
« on: October 03, 2005, 03:01:11 PM »

Hello, just picked up the new SE Ultra one week ago, checked motor oil at 600 miles, level was below the "add" mark (motor cold), added a pint and ran it, checked again, level now at the "add" mark (again motor was cold), added another pint today. No signs of burning or leaking motor oil, my guess dealer did not fill scooter with 4 quarts but wanted to check if others used that much in the break in process
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 03:01:18 PM by sturbee »
06 SE Ultra, Autumn Haze, Sept 9/24/05
01 Road King Classic, Berry Wine custom paint

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
Re: One quart low after first 600 miles
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 06:40:04 PM »

Sounds like your dealer may have been cheap...Keep a close eye for the signs!!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 07:32:35 PM »

Maybe the guy who prepped it just got done working on a Dyna prior to your bike and didn't make the transition?

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 08:57:52 PM »

Hello, just picked up the new SE Ultra one week ago, checked motor oil at 600 miles, level was below the "add" mark (motor cold), added a pint and ran it, checked again, level now at the "add" mark (again motor was cold), added another pint today. No signs of burning or leaking motor oil, my guess dealer did not fill scooter with 4 quarts but wanted to check if others used that much in the break in process

The oil is supposed to be checked warmed up.  Also, the dipsticks aren't the most accurate.  Your best bet is to do a complete oil change, run the motor and put a little mark (scratch, nick what have you) on the dipstick.  Then you will have your true 4 qt level.  If you decide that you only want to check it cold, let it cool and the next morning make a cold level mark.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 09:51:38 AM »

The oil is supposed to be checked warmed up.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sturbee

• Scooter guy
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 12:01:50 PM »

I called the dealer about the low motor oil at pick up time, I was told the bike is shipped from the factory with motor oil in it but the prep guy may have missed it being low
06 SE Ultra, Autumn Haze, Sept 9/24/05
01 Road King Classic, Berry Wine custom paint

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 01:26:15 PM »

The prep guy missed it!  Ha.  That prep guy need to be looking for a new job.  One of the things I hate the most about basic dealer service is it's usually the newbie, grunt guy that gets those jobs, and they're not usually checked over by anyone else.  Just heard of a guy dirving off on his new 06 Ultra and after about 200 miles, the tranny started making awful noises. You guessed it, no tranny fluid.  You should't have to check a new bike with  a fine toothed comb, but you can bet that I will on mine.  BTW, the guy wasn't able to even get a new tranny, only the parts to rebuild it.  Seems like it would have been time to go with a 6 speed and no labor.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 01:41:30 PM »

I guess the selling point "all service performed by HD dealership" that many use on Ebay should actually reduce the value instead of increase it. The more I read the more I need to consider doing my own maintenence. I just need to figure out how to do it.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 03:09:35 PM »

Doesn't say much for the hand assembly these bikes supposedly get, either.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.