Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Dash mount Zumo Road Glide  (Read 19615 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Dash mount Zumo Road Glide
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:42 AM »

thanks I guess I will keep looking. Maybe I can find a deal on a 550.

Mike

Pete

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 07:49:36 PM »

Got mine with AMEX points. I even think is was on special.

darkside99

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »

First let me say.... Outstanding job!  as well as write-up.  I will also be doing this and wondered what the washer spec is?  Thanks, Mac...

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 07:54:12 PM »

First let me say.... Outstanding job!  as well as write-up.  I will also be doing this and wondered what the washer spec is?  Thanks, Mac...

Thanks.  I brought a traced template to a machine shop, made to fit the opening (outside) & another about 1/4" larger than the outer flange for the inside.  Sorry, I don't have measurements.  Also, I believe the stock is 1/8" aluminum.

I've since drilled a 2nd offset hole to move the Zumo up and to the left.  With the offset mounting hole you can rotate the Zumo & position it where you like (vs stuck in the center).

The Machinest is "Bogden" (he's from the Ukraine, and VERY precise with his work).  He will remember me & make 2 new washers and mail them to you I'm sure.   805-685-9640

BTW, I just returned from 4,000+ mile round trip to Sturgis & back.  The GPS mount worked flawlessly.  Easy reach, perfect visibility, no shaking or rattling. 

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »

I wonder if a 660 could be made to work like this?

Mike

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »

I wonder if a 660 could be made to work like this?

Mike

I think so.  The cradle (550 or 650) receives a universal ball.  You need a ball that terminates with a threaded post, which goes through the fabricated washers for a Road Glide.  I believe the dash mount kit has that ball in it.  I ordered both the handlebar mount kit & the (Electra Glide) dash mount kit, and played with parts until I figured out the cleanest way to do this.  Not sure which kit had the ball with a stud, but from what I could tell on the HD website the 660 fairing mount attaches just like the 550 fairing mount.

EDIT:  I might have used parts from both kits.  Sorry, I really don't remember.  I ordered both (couldn't find any in stock), and was going to return the one I didn't take parts from, but then everything got mixed up together. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:47:02 AM by PR3VS56 »

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »

I think so.  The cradle (550 or 650) receives a universal ball.  You need a ball that terminates with a threaded post, which goes through the fabricated washers for a Road Glide.  I believe the dash mount kit has that ball in it.  I ordered both the handlebar mount kit & the (Electra Glide) dash mount kit, and played with parts until I figured out the cleanest way to do this.  Not sure which kit had the ball with a stud, but from what I could tell on the HD website the 660 fairing mount attaches just like the 550 fairing mount.
Thanks

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »

I think so.  The cradle (550 or 650) receives a universal ball.  You need a ball that terminates with a threaded post, which goes through the fabricated washers for a Road Glide.  I believe the dash mount kit has that ball in it.  I ordered both the handlebar mount kit & the (Electra Glide) dash mount kit, and played with parts until I figured out the cleanest way to do this.  Not sure which kit had the ball with a stud, but from what I could tell on the HD website the 660 fairing mount attaches just like the 550 fairing mount.
EDIT:  I might have used parts from both kits.  Sorry, I really don't remember.  I ordered both (couldn't find any in stock), and was going to return the one I didn't take parts from, but then everything got mixed up together. 

No ball mount on the 660 fairing mount. It clips into a bracket, and locks. The ball mount that came with the unit is for an automotive mount!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 10:55:27 AM »

No ball mount on the 660 fairing mount. It clips into a bracket, and locks. The ball mount that came with the unit is for an automotive mount!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Sounds right, I'll take your word for it.  So that came with the unit then.  BUT>.. there's still something else you need from one of the kits, I don't remember what.  Maybe the cables?  Like I said, the mounting parts got all mixed up & I was pulling from a big pile.  Maybe I didn't even use parts from the other mounts.  Could be, I was still recovering from my collision at the time, with help from Percoset (and others).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:58:35 AM by PR3VS56 »

darkside

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 06:23:36 PM »

PR3VS56, I finally got around to mounting my Nuvi.  What a great idea you had!  I got rid of my temperature gauge and moved my fuel gauge down.  This rocks!
2009 FLHRSE - Ghost Silver
FullSac 2.25's
Catless header pipe
TTS MasterTune

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »

Hey darkside. What size and make is your windshield?

darkside

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »

It's a HalfMoon 8" Contour. :)
FullSac 2.25's
Catless header pipe
TTS MasterTune

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:55 PM »

PR3VS56, I finally got around to mounting my Nuvi.  What a great idea you had!  I got rid of my temperature gauge and moved my fuel gauge down.  This rocks!

Way to go!!!!!!!!  Nice work.
  :2vrolijk_21:

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 10:32:20 PM »

Hey Dark it looks great. Couple of questions,how did you mount got any pics, and can you reach it while riding?

Mike

darkside

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 02:42:17 PM »

BigLew,

I mounted exactly the way PR3VS56 mounted his Zumo with the exception that I used an ultratilt from http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/PROD/TILT.html.  I had a local machinist make me two aluminum disc, 1 was 2 1/4 (replaced gauge on front) and the other was 2 1/2 (mounted in the back of the gauge hole.  Because I used the ultratilt i secured the tilt as well as the two disc with 4 8/32 x 1 1/4 allenhead bolts.  Since the Nuvi uses a large flat connector I had to notch the both disc and the tilt; approximately 3/16 wide x 1" long.

I can reach the Nuvi although I have to sit up to do it; normally I plug in my coordinates before I'm moving but sometimes you have to search while on the ride for things like gas as well as skipping through music choices.

I only took pictures from the riding position but could take additional if you want.

Thanks, Darkside....
FullSac 2.25's
Catless header pipe
TTS MasterTune
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.