Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Impressions  (Read 4527 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Impressions
« on: October 23, 2005, 12:54:06 PM »

Ok boys and girls.  The Florida Potentially Soggy Rally is winding down and several of you have had your new Ultras long enough now to have gotten a good feel for them.  How about impressions?  What's good, not so good, and what details have surprised you either way?

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
Re: Impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 09:38:42 PM »

Well I just returned from Daytona and by the way it wasn't soggy. It was my first long ride having had the bike 2 months. It rides well. I think it handles better than the 03 RK I had. When you can read the radio display, mine has a mind of its own and doesn't always work, its fairly simple to navigate between CB and radio. My only complaints  would be with the small windshield because of the wind noise at highway speed and the headlight is poor at best. I had forgotten about the amount of heat with a bike that has lowers but that's the nature of the beast, the vents on the lowers help a great deal at speed. All in all I'm happy with the bike, I'll be a lot happier when I get a better head light.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:53:55 AM »

I now have a little over 2k miles on my new Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE

Area's of the scooter I like are: 1) The Color, 2) The Stereo (no problems yet) XM radio is awesome 3) The Bat Wing (my first) keeps a lot of wind and bugs off, I did have to change my windshield to a 9.5" and wished it came dark. 4) New Air Cleaner the lines looks so good with lines on scooter. 5) Of course the extra ponies of the 103" (that's a given) 6) Stealth Collection for pegs & floorboards.

Area's that could use a little Tweaking: 1) Wider rear tire, 2) additional chrome (got most of that done) 3) better stock seat and rider back rest (my back rest is not as good as my SE RK was, 4) fuel door - why does it flip backwards? 5) Gutless stock exhaust system looks great, sounds yucky. 6) Detachable Tour Pak  7) Multiple Disc CD Player (why not)

Trust me the Positives far out weigh the Negatives on this touring motorcycle
My believe is the Mo Co has done it again and raised the bar even Higher in 2006

I Like It

jeffj

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 12:49:06 PM »

Hey, I thought I told you to quit posting pictures of that bike!  [smiley=furious.gif]

Just kidding.[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Looks great and every time I see the leather tour-pak it gets a little easier to stomach.

h2o-man

• Ride it like ya stole it!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 02:20:39 PM »

Rode down Friday from Raleigh NC to Deland Fl. 580 miles each way. Have to admit that Daytona will not be on my list of rallies to visit again. Lots of A-Holes on I-95 that would just as soon run you over as give you a break. Ran with cruise set on 82 MPH the entire way and was passed constantly on both sides. I really think that my 02 Ultra rode better than the SEUC, but the attention this thing gets is much more than the Ultra.
I was REEEEALY disappointed in the fuel mileage. Best I could get was 32 MPG. At 82 with my 88 CI Ultra at 82 MPH, I got between 45-48 MPG. I Know, it's a bigger motor.... Still 32 is pretty lousy in my book.
All things considered however, I like the 06 much more than the 02 Ultra. I changed the windscreen out for a windshield, 11 inch smoked, and that made a huge difference in noise and wind on the hwy.
I got a chance to exercise the heat management system on the 06 on the bridge over to Main St. After sitting in traffic for 10 minutes, the RPM's dropped, the engine started idling rough and it wanted to cut off. I kept shutting it down while waiting. Once on the top of the bridge I just coasted down to the start of Main St. It did the same thing once on the main drag, so I got off and took a side street to the Civic Center parking lot. Once in the lot, the bike finally shut down for good. After a 3 hr break for walking the street, it was fine. Good news is that the computer works as designed, bad news is it doesn't take long in traffic for it to overheat. Guess that shoots parades in the butt. LOL......
Froggy's and Dirty Harry's were great, Boot Hill is overrated. I'll take Sturgis over Daytona any day.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 08:45:04 AM »

Thanks for your impressions.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 09:37:03 AM »

H2o-Man, according to that great tuner Joe Minton, that most of us believe speaks the gospel concerning the V-twin motors, you should get as good or better fuel mileage with a big motor that tuned correctly as a stock one that's incorrectly choked up from the factory.  Read his article on this in the current issue of American Rider magazine titled 'Performance and Efficiency'....that's been my empirical experience also.  You may have hurt the fuel mileage some with the taller windscreen at 82mph, but don't know that you couldn't be getting better with more accurate tuning.  As far as the idiots on I-95 making you not like Biketoberfest, I've started taking back roads down whenever time permits, 'cause I gotta agree with you about the craziness on ALL the interstates.  Ride safe..........spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 10:12:38 PM »

4) fuel door - why does it flip backwards? jeffj

Yeah, why is that?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 10:19:05 PM »

Yeah, why is that?

If it flipped the other way it would fall back down either on its own or whenever it got bumped.  The earth doesn't really suck.  We got gravity man!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 10:22:44 PM »

The earth doesn't really suck.

Don,

surely on a 30K bike the cost of a ball bearing and spring  detent .................................

But I still don't understand why my 74 Sporty had a "square" rear tire  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 12:41:28 AM »

Don,

surely on a 30K bike the cost of a ball bearing and spring

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 01:31:45 PM »

[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]Harley Davidson [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Yea and we just keep on buying them don't we. [smiley=banana.gif]

BTY One thing I would liked to have seem would have been a 6 speed tranny but that would have taken the price up a couple of more thousand.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »

Y'know, the way these bikes are geared and where their torque band is I think the only way I would shell out for a six speed is if it were part of the base package.  Having to decide to buy one, however.....   probably not.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 05:31:56 PM »

twolane, remember the 'electric overdrive' the British sportscars used to have?  the old MG's, Austin Healey's, etc.....that's what we need on these SEEGs.....something that would not affect the present gearing, but would afford a true overdrive to lower RPM's when you wanted to just really stroll.    [smiley=drink.gif] Har!  spyder [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 06:25:40 PM »

I agree I wouldn't spend the bucks for the extra gear but you'd think the touring bikes would have gotten the 6th gear before the Dyna's.  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.