Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: TTS for a non computer rider  (Read 5250 times)

dave29

• Full CVO Member
TTS for a non computer rider
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »

Been looking to go non-cat on my 09 SE Ultra. Already have Fullsac 1.75 baffles. Tired of the heat and non-performance. Not very computer literate and this post is about as far as my skills will take me. How difficult is it to do whatever I need to do to save my original tune and download a Fullsac tune? Also...how easy is it to switch back to the stock tune for dealership duty.
Please be easy on me with the responses!!!!!!!
Thanks much.
Jim

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: TTS for a non computer rider
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »

If your willing to spend the time to learn a few computer skills it's nothing more than reading the manual and following along. Total time to read the factory calibration is about 2 minutes. So if you take hooking the cables and laptop up to the bike add another 5 minutes to that. Programming in the new file takes the same 2 minutes worst case. You will most likely spend a few hours reading the manuals to get up to speed.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:40 AM »

You can do this, but if you do not have a serial port on your computer that you would use to load the program I would strongly suggest buying the additional TTS USB device.   Since you would have the Fullsacs / TTS all you would have to do is connect the computer to the bike and load Steve at fullsacs map and you would be good to go.   I would think even as a novice you could do it pretty easily.   Don't forget to buy the needed cables as well.  

If you run into a situation where you desire to return to factory stock you can go back to stock map as the TTS allows you to down load your base map to your computer so you can always go back to where it was if you are unhappy.  Just make sure you download the map before you load your fullsac map or get a tune.

It sounds harder than it is to load the map.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

trot

• trot
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Live well, Laugh often, Love much.

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, Silver/Twilight Blue
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:25 AM »

I am like you not good on computers and I found it very easy once you have read the instructions a couple of times.
If you got the map from Steve at fullsac you will find its pretty near perfect and you wont need to go through the data gathering and v tune bits.
Took me 15mins tops.
Go for it .
Trot
"The shows not over till the Fat Lady sings."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »

To reinforce what Harry (Unbalanced) said, make certain you save the current stock map FIRST, before you do anything else.  Once you load another map or make any changes, the only way to get the stock map back would be to have your dealer reinstall it using his Digital Technician equipment.  I would suggest saving it on your computer and also keeping another copy on a disk or a USB thumb drive.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:51:24 AM »

To reinforce what Harry (Unbalanced) said, make certain you save the current stock map FIRST, before you do anything else.  Once you load another map or make any changes, the only way to get the stock map back would be to have your dealer reinstall it using his Digital Technician equipment.  I would suggest saving it on your computer and also keeping another copy on a disk or a USB thumb drive.

Jerry

Jerry,
With the original SERT what you are stating is correct, but with the TTS you are mistaken.   The built in functionality alllows you to download the stock map that is in the bike save it, while unreadable and unchangeable it is still reloadable into the bike to put the bike back to a stock ecm configuration without having to use the Digital Tech.

I have added a screenshot of this functionality by the way it works I have taken the base map out of my 05 and saved it.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:59:28 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »

I am another non-computer person. I will have to use my wife's laptop for this change of the ECM. My question is, how do I go about transferring/saving the factory spec setup from the laptop to a disk that I can keep, since I can't leave it on the wife's laptop? Thanks

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:01:48 PM »

There are many ways to do this.
easy ways:

USB devices like hard drive, key (memory stick)
burn it to cd / dvd
email it to an email address on another computer or create a GMAIL, Yahoo, Hotmail email account to send it to.
if you have a garmin with a memory chip in it copy it to the garmin and always have it on the SD Card

tougher ways,

ftp it to a location
open a share and copy it to another computer
create a thread here and upload it for others to use /wink wink haha.  then download it to your other computer

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:06:48 PM by Unbalanced »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 02:14:56 PM »

Jerry,
With the original SERT what you are stating is correct, but with the TTS you are mistaken.   The built in functionality alllows you to download the stock map that is in the bike save it, while unreadable and unchangeable it is still reloadable into the bike to put the bike back to a stock ecm configuration without having to use the Digital Tech.

I have added a screenshot of this functionality by the way it works I have taken the base map out of my 05 and saved it.

Harry, what I was trying to say was that if he used the TTS to load a different map, without saving the original stock map first, then he wouldn't have a copy of the original to be able to reload without going to the dealer.  I think that's what you are saying as well. 

The fact that you can save the stock map with the TTS is a major selling point in my opinion.  Never could figure why the SERT wasn't set up the same way, unless the MoCo actually thought about folks reloading the stock map after blowing an engine before they trailered it in for warranty.  :confused5:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 02:25:23 PM »

Jerry,

Thanks for clarifying that, and you are right on target, it is 165.00 for the dealer to put your Vin back in your ECM (CVO's) not sure what they are charging to put the basemap back /shrug.   I like the idea of being able do some mods and then when you decide to sell the bike put it back to stock for the next person to do what they may want to do to the bike to make it their own.

I believe Steve Cole wanted to add this and several other features, but the Moco stopped him from adding them.   Hopefully he is not under legal items that would prohibit him from commenting on the topic and can add some colorful commentary :)

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »

Let's just say the HD has their "you know what" buried in the brown stuff. As long as they can find a way to screw people out of their money they will do it. When we started with them it was different but after a few management changes too many it went down hill. The original kit was everything you need including cables for $459.95. Over the years they stripped it down to the interface only for $459.95 and in all that time (2002 - 2008) we never once raised there cost for the entire kit! We split the cables out of our kit due to two different types being offered and reduced the kit cost. Then added features they had made us remove in the beginning and added several more new ones. Now we can do what we think is needed from customer feedback and so far so good.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »

Let's just say the HD has their "you know what" buried in the brown stuff. As long as they can find a way to screw people out of their money they will do it. When we started with them it was different but after a few management changes too many it went down hill. The original kit was everything you need including cables for $459.95. Over the years they stripped it down to the interface only for $459.95 and in all that time (2002 - 2008) we never once raised there cost for the entire kit! We split the cables out of our kit due to two different types being offered and reduced the kit cost. Then added features they had made us remove in the beginning and added several more new ones. Now we can do what we think is needed from customer feedback and so far so good.

Its refreshing to see a company that listens to their customers and can make changes more quickly than the 5-10 years it takes SOME companies to respond!
I understand the WHY bigger companies take that long, and it's not entirely their fault on the production curve.
I have about 25k miles using your TTS Mastertune and am pretty happy with the system on my bike. When I get back home later this summer I plan to learn more about it. My learning curve is pretty slow! I have to say the product is all they say, and much more than I can understand at this point, bottom line: it works!

NOW, so much for the praise, how about making it easier for us computer illiterates to get the V-tune to set up the map? I guess I'm spoiled with my S&S IST that learns, changes, remembers as I ride in changing conditions.
Yes, I am comparing apples to oranges, but, it's a lot easier than getting into the deep dark recesses of the ecm.
I DID do a lot of research before buying the TTS, and do NOT regret my choice. I still believe this is the best product for my '09, and, like I said, after 25k miles, it works like a champ!
Steve: just my 2 cents.
HOGMIKE

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 12:15:38 PM »

I have been following various threads about the TTS Mastertune and have a couple of questions.

1)  does the TTS replace/get installed with the ECM or does it simply allow you to reprogram it.  I am wondering because if I take the bike to the HD shop for repair/warranty issues is it something I have to remove.  I understand I would have reload the original map.

2)  does the TTS leave any trace of it having been loaded.  This relates to the warranty issue.  I would suspect the HD and the extended warranty (from previous experience) would try and deny payment for anything they could.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

trot

• trot
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Live well, Laugh often, Love much.

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, Silver/Twilight Blue
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 01:05:02 PM »

I have been following various threads about the TTS Mastertune and have a couple of questions.

1)  does the TTS replace/get installed with the ECM or does it simply allow you to reprogram it.  I am wondering because if I take the bike to the HD shop for repair/warranty issues is it something I have to remove.  I understand I would have reload the original map.
2)  does the TTS leave any trace of it having been loaded.  This relates to the warranty issue.  I would suspect the HD and the extended warranty (from previous experience) would try and deny payment for anything they could.
map.

1 TTS just reprogrammes the ECM. You just save the factory map to your PC or flash drive and load a map for your set up.

2 TTS leaves no trace once you have removed your map and restored the factory map. Both operations very easy 10mins tops
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:09:11 PM by trot »
"The shows not over till the Fat Lady sings."

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 07:25:36 AM »

so many times I've heard people say "put a race tuner on my bike" or the like, kinda like the PC and Fuelpak, where an item is actually attached to the bike bike. SERT and TTS are the same in the respect that it's just a programming change, not a physical addition.
Yes there is a module you use but it is the device that allows your computer to "talk" to your bike, kinda like an interpretor. but once the tuning/download is done, the module comes off.
I have done 2 bikes with the TTS, 1-my 09 SERG, and 2- 07 FLHX. lot's of reading up front,but as long as you get the first part right, saving the original ECM settings, then you can't go wrong. , kinda like a failsafe.
while the pre made maps are good, you don't get the full advantage of the system unless you use the V-tune Process.
I have used the other systems in the past and all have their  + -, but TTS makes so much more sense to me.
I going to be contacting Steve and Doc to see about becoming a TTS dealer here in Tennessee, where I can do the tune and save a copy of each ecm Calibration for safe keeping.
if anyone buys a system and wants someone to do it for them, PM me
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.