Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HD zumo vs Zumo zumo  (Read 3990 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
HD zumo vs Zumo zumo
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:12:45 PM »

What fine opining can I expect with the HD Road Tec zumo versus the Zumo zumo.

Whats the diffy on these 2 gizmos... :nixweiss:

I done well this year, I bought no new bikes, no old bikes and only one new gun...so I may parlay....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:14:22 PM by miker »

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: HD zumo vs Zumo zumo
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »

What fine opining can I expect with the HD Road Tec zumo versus the Zumo zumo.

Whats the diffy on these 2 gizmos... :nixweiss:

I done well this year, I bought no new bikes, no old bikes and only one new gun...so I may parlay....

The Logo, thats it.. You pay $119 more because it says HD Road Tech..Oh, you get a complete nation wide dealer list pre-loaded with the HD version BUT, this is a free download from a few forums out there, including here i think... buy the Zumo on line and you will get the same thing.. The 450 does not have the XM capability, the 550 has the XM option. The only difference between the two models that i know of...

now lets see,,you save $119 with the Garmin.. can you buy a cheap gun with that :-\  Well hell, at least half of a good plunker anyway   :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:20:47 PM by sportygordy »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »

If you're talking about the 660 vs 660, they're the same. Only the Harley version is missing the bike mount and some of the extras I understand.

The Garmin version I got has both the full bike mount, plus a second full car mount with the cigar lighter adaptor. On the Harley version, you only get the Motorcycle cradle, but not the mount, which is another $80. Oh, you do get pre-installed HD Dealer POI's though.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:37:32 AM »

The HD version of the Garmin 660 will run you about $260.00 more by the time you are done buying all the stuff that comes with the Garmin.

Lets see now....$200+.....OK I will buy the HD...................NOT
Ride It Like You Are Retired

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:07:47 AM »

and the difference between the 550 & 660 is?
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »

I aint sure....so the HD is what I thought, over priced and under performing...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:37:19 AM »

I aint sure....so the HD is what I thought, over priced and under performing...
Hmmmm... sounds familiar don't it. ;) :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »

and the difference between the 550 & 660 is?

The 660 has a wider screen then the 550.

The 660 does not have XM, the 550 does.

The 660 is new and has a few issues that the 550 does not. However I expect Garmin to fix these as they become noticed.

Check Zumoforum.com

Lots of information on the two there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 11:43:01 AM »

The 660 has a wider screen then the 550.

The 660 does not have XM, the 550 does.

The 660 is new and has a few issues that the 550 does not. However I expect Garmin to fix these as they become noticed.

Check Zumoforum.com

Lots of information on the two there.

Doesn't the 660 also add the a2dp protocol for stereo bluetooth?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:01:42 AM »

The 660 (Harley version or Garmin version) does not have the XM. It does have the Bluetooth stereo option.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 06:29:28 AM »

The 660 (Harley version or Garmin version) does not have the XM. It does have the Bluetooth stereo option.

Sorry missed that one.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »

As noted, the HD and Garmin Zumo 660s are identical. No motorcycle mount with the HD. BUT, the HD fairing mount for FLHs is LESS than almost any other option, very clean looking and works great! Using the Zumo as a music player with the HD mount all instructions come through the FLHs stereo. Sweet.

When I priced the HD version was $50 less than any price I could find on Amazon, etc. Have since seen really low prices from Chicago HD mentioned on this forum.

I've only had my HD 660 for 2 days, but I flat love it. I figure that if I have electrical issues down the road, no one's going to be pointing fingers and saying "well, it's that POS you added that's causing all the problems"...

jasel

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »

Before rushing out aqnd buying a 660 because it is bigger, read the reviews on Amazon comparing it with the 550.

"10 Reasons the 660 doesn't compare favorably to the Zumo 550"

Not sure how to insert links so here's the url:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Portable-Motorcycle-Navigator/dp/B001OMGVMY

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 01:11:52 AM »

Before rushing out aqnd buying a 660 because it is bigger, read the reviews on Amazon comparing it with the 550.

"10 Reasons the 660 doesn't compare favorably to the Zumo 550"

Not sure how to insert links so here's the url:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Portable-Motorcycle-Navigator/dp/B001OMGVMY

Cut and pasted from the above mentioned article

17 of 17 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars 10 Reasons the 660 doesn't compare favorably to the Zumo 550, July 15, 2009
By  Daveomatic - See all my reviews

I have a Zumo 550 and it was with interest that I helped a friend install his Zumo 660. After taking two road trips in the car and working with the 660 I have some comparisons to make to my 550.

Let me predicate my review as it is based on the 660 Firmware update 3.20 that came out towards the end of July of 2009.

1. The 660 doesn't display all street names when browsing the map. I found my friends house using where to? button and it showed the house but none of the street names (including his street name) surrounding his house. The zoom level didn't matter.

2. Won't follow the route you specify in MapSource custom route download. The 660 will recalculate the route you download so there is no guarantee that the route you enter on your computer will be followed by the 660. You have to really get into the habit of using waypoints.

3. Construction of the 660 is like a nuvi. In fact, I think it is a modified nuvi. The USB connection on the 660 can only be accessed by removing the battery cover (which then causes an annoying message to appear that the battery cover is off) There is no tether for the cover, so if you loose it, guess what? All GPS functions are disabled! The 660 only works in GPS mode with the battery cover attached. The screen feels like soft plastic when you touch it. In comparison, the USB connection on the 550 is behind a hinged door, and it doesn't matter if the door is open or closed. So even if you break the door, the 550 still operates as a GPS. The 550's screen feels more like glass to me. In my opinion - for fit and finish - the 550 is built like a brick house, the 660 - not so much.

4. The 660 doesn't come with a 120v charger adapter like the 550 does. Both the 660 and the 550 will recharge with the USB connection but if you are planning a trip with your 660, you have a limited amount of battery power because if you plug in the USB cable to recharge it - it enters the USB Mass Storage Mode. The 550 will operate as a GPS plugged into a 12v source (cradle in car or bike) or the 120v adapter (like at home or your hotel room.)

5. The 660 utilizes a micro-sd card. Geeze! have you seen how small these are? About the size of your pinky fingernail. The 550 uses a easy-to-handle standard SD card. The SD card in the 550 can be plugged into your pc's card slot and read like a disk drive. Easy and convenient to do. The micro-sd card is so darn small, and inconvenient to get to, (you have to remove the 660's battery to get to it) it's hardly worth the trouble.

6. Never saw the lane change notice feature. Apparently none of the freeway interchanges we went through were programmed into the 660.

7. Even at maximum volume in the car, the 660's internal speaker was barely audible. This is a serious problem. You have to have all other music in the car off in order to hear the 660 through its internal speaker when using the car mounting. The external speaker in the 550's auto mounting gives you plenty of volume and can be heard over other noises in the car.

8. 660 doesn't have the screen change/flip/page button like the 550. You can toggle between screens by hitting the box button on the side of the 550 repeatedly. I find that a very useful way to navigate around the system. I could not find an equivalent key or process on the 660 to do the same thing.

9. On the 550 - touching the turn in xx miles portion of the nav map screen, the unit repeats the last verbal instructions again. I could not find an equivalent key or process on the 660 do do this simple task.

10. It may not matter to you, but the 660 is not integrated to work with XM radio and weather. One of the few things it doesnt support. The 550 will support XM and Weather if you get the GPX 30 antenna receiver and pay the subscription service.

CONCLUSION:
I still feel that after handling both units, the 550 is a true motorcyclists GPS, it does everything I ask of it. The 660 can be, but as stated elsewhere, it got released before all the bugs were worked out of it. It needs work.

It is interesting to me that Garmin is playing the field with the 660, the 550 is still a cataloged product, and is still for sale at most dealers. I don't know if they plan to phase out the 550 if and when more 660's are sold.

I do know that I'm very happy with my 550 for now and will watch Garmin to see what firmware updates they provide to address the shortcomings for the 660.

As of 07-15-2009 Amazon does not have this unit listed for sale as new. There is only one seller of this unit and it is listed as refurbished.

As of 7-31-2009 Amazon has taken this item out of the product catalog. It is not currently available.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 07:44:24 AM »

Thanks all, I read the above as well and played with the HD device Saturday while waiting on the ABS flash and new mirror for Emmit.
I just didn't think it was all dat!

I think I'll get a new bike lift instead while waiting for another latest greatest gps geegaw for the ol hoopdee.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 21 queries.