Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Before and After Temperatures  (Read 5358 times)

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
Before and After Temperatures
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »

I took some surface temperature readings (used a Fluke digital dual temp thermocouple thermometer) before and after exhaust / ECM modifications. Temperatures vary considerably as speed, throttle and load changes, and these temps were the higher readings.
Before: Stock 2009 SEUC

Air Temperature                 80 deg
Front Pipe @ O2 sensor       728 deg
Rear Pipe @ O2 sensor        960 deg
Collector Pipe @ cat          1041 deg
Oil temp                           273  deg (yikes)

After: 96" pipes / no cat / Jet Hot Extreme Sterling; 1.75 in Fullsac baffles; TTS Mastertune with Fullsac '09 SE 110 MAP; SERG Air Cleaner; AMSOIL 20w/50 in 3 holes.
Air Temperature                78 deg
Front Pipe @ O2 sensor      580 deg
Rear Pipe @ O2 sensor       745 deg
Collector Pipe / No Cat       706 deg
Oil Temp                          210 deg

Notes: After installing changes I did a 25 miles test run just prior to leaving for a 10 day, 3200 mile, 11 state tour with 10 other riders. Almost all back road twisties from sea level to 5800 ft elevation. One up, fully loaded, we rode rain or shine. The bike ran flawlessly, heat was never an issue, 40 to 45 mpg, with oil temp staying between 180 and 230. I do have the Lenale fans installed (cylinders and oil cooler) and used them when stuck in traffic, turning on at 230 degrees oil temp would keep oil temperature from climbing any higher and would lower the temp. Engine heat was no longer an issue and engine seems much quieter. Oh yeah, did I mention FAST!!! I plan on doing the V-Tune function soon and will post my results. Thank you Steve Cole of Mastertune and Steve George of Fullsac for putting together a great product combo. I'm smiling now.

Tom P.   

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Before and After Temperatures
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 12:23:17 PM »

Your doing good with temps,  :2vrolijk_21: are you using the fan assist oil cooler ??.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:23:50 PM »

:drink: :drink:

Awesome numbers.

Have you dyno'd the bike?

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »

sounds like you and the mc are happy now.  ;) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »

Your doing good with temps,  :2vrolijk_21: are you using the fan assist oil cooler ??.

I have installed both the Lenale fan at the OE horn location and the Lenale oil cooler fans. They are both powered through the accessory switch and I turn them on when in stop & go traffic when the oil temp reaches 230 degrees (I installed an oil temperature gauge in place of the stock air temp gauge). They will prevent any further climb in temp and will begin to lower oil temp. One downside, the fan will blow the heat towards your right leg. (Don't wear shorts!!)
Tom P.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:41:51 PM »

I have installed both the Lenale fan at the OE horn location and the Lenale oil cooler fans. They are both powered through the accessory switch and I turn them on when in stop & go traffic when the oil temp reaches 230 degrees (I installed an oil temperature gauge in place of the stock air temp gauge). They will prevent any further climb in temp and will begin to lower oil temp. One downside, the fan will blow the heat towards your right leg. (Don't wear shorts!!)
Tom P.

Which oil temp gauge did you use and where does the sensor for it install?

Just noticed you are on LI--where about?? I am out in Westbury

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »

Tom P.

Where did you find the Lenale Oil Cooler Fans ?? Do they work in conjunction with the HD Deluxe Oil Cooler?

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:33:27 PM »

I installed the Harley Davidson 2" metal face oil temp gauge, p/n 75320-05A. Sending unit mounts in oil pan tapping near the engine oil drain plug. Seems to be fairly accurate. I live in Coram.
Best of luck with your new ride. NICE!!!

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 09:52:36 PM »

Where did you find the Lenale Oil Cooler Fans ?? Do they work in conjunction with the HD Deluxe Oil Cooler?

I contacted Lenale-Engineering with an e-mail through ebay and inquired about their oil cooling fans. They responded with ordering instructions. It mounts to the HD oil cooler and included wiring that plugs into the accessory connector under the seat. Simple install

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 09:56:50 PM »

The other fan
Tom P.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 10:11:27 PM »

:drink: :drink:

Awesome numbers.

Have you dyno'd the bike?

I have not dyno'd the bike. I installed Mastertune myself, (Was easier than I expected, but read the instructions fully!). I plan on using the V-Tune function next and will likely do a dyno run after that just for my own infomation. Honestly, the bike is running great right now, maybe I should leave well enough alone?
Tom P.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »

:bananarock: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

My bike has the non Cat header, PC V with autotune, rinehart's and Stage I AC.  Right after I had it set up it got 96 hp and 11ft-lbs.   have decided to let it be and haven't dyno'd it after then PC V took over because it runs great.

If I had it dyno'd I am sure I'd want to fiddle around.

2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »

Great info!  Do any of you guys know what the temp improvement (round about) is with just removing the CAT?  I'm taking delivery of a FLHXSE and have been interested in the COBRA 4" slipons and tossing the CAT.  What options for getting rid of the CAT while keeping the OEM 2-1-2 look?
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »

A few mods will cool the bike off a bit, nice work.

Definatley a different fan set-up on the cooler.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »

Great info!  Do any of you guys know what the temp improvement (round about) is with just removing the CAT?  I'm taking delivery of a FLHXSE and have been interested in the COBRA 4" slipons and tossing the CAT.  What options for getting rid of the CAT while keeping the OEM 2-1-2 look?

Go to www.fullsac.com and look at the info on the site. He will take your headpipe and remove the cat and send it back to you. Looks completely stock. A lot of people on this forum have used him--Steve is a great guy and will give you any info that you need.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Former 1999 Road King

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 04:38:01 PM »

Go to www.fullsac.com and look at the info on the site. He will take your headpipe and remove the cat and send it back to you. Looks completely stock. A lot of people on this forum have used him--Steve is a great guy and will give you any info that you needs]

I'll look into it-thanks!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »

Former 1999 Road King

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »

Hi Six38,
I contacted Lenale today via the Ebay website re the oil cooler fans.
They replied that they are no longer produced...... :nixweiss:
Could you forward the ordering info, and I will check again.

Many thanks........

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 10:05:26 PM »

:'( :'( :'(

Former 1999 Road King

FiveO CVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • SERK's Rule

• CVO1: FLHRSE4 105th Annv #819/1800
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 04:56:33 AM »

SIX38,
Gotta like those new numbers. :orange: Thanks for posting the pic's of the fan's too.  I'm interested in the oil cooler fan, but was wondering, in your opinion, do you think the fan impede's the normal air flow when the fans in front of the cooler are not operating?  By the pic, it looks like they would???
-- MOD's
    Dead Center Cycle fairing - CVO Annv paint by Gene
    Speeds Performance "Speedy Flow" Intake w/'07 A/C Cover off my CVO Springer
    '61- 62 Tank Decals painted to match
    RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust - LSR Black Hole Spyder w/stock O2 sensors
    RB Racing Dual O2 Display gauge on handlebar
    Andrews 54H's Cams w/SE Cam Support Plate & SE Pushrods (Adj)
    30T Evo Industries Primary Sprocket/Chain
    TTS MasterTune
    EZ Up Center Stand
    Redline fluids throughout

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 04:01:58 PM »

SIX38,
Gotta like those new numbers. :orange: Thanks for posting the pic's of the fan's too.  I'm interested in the oil cooler fan, but was wondering, in your opinion, do you think the fan impede's the normal air flow when the fans in front of the cooler are not operating?  By the pic, it looks like they would???
Hello FiveO,
 Yea, I had the same concern when I installed it, but having used the fans since April logging 3600 mile in all type of conditions and temperatures, the only times I would need to turn them on was in stop and go traffic. Just got home from a trip to Cape Cod with the wife, and got trapped in a 3mile back up on Rt 6 for over an hour and the fans keep the temp below 230, never engaging the EITMS (engine idle temperature management system [rear cyl cut out]). Oil temperature ranges between 180 & 230 while moving with fans off. I have driven in the rain about 6 times during this period and although I didn't use them while raining, the water didn't seem affect them. So far I'm more than satisfied with them and along with my other mod's, have solved the heat issue.
Tom P.   

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 07:33:39 AM »

:bananarock: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

My bike has the non Cat header, PC V with autotune, rinehart's and Stage I AC.  Right after I had it set up it got 96 hp and 11ft-lbs.   have decided to let it be and haven't dyno'd it after then PC V took over because it runs great.

If I had it dyno'd I am sure I'd want to fiddle around.

Wow!  Ninety-six horsepower out of 11 lb-ft. of torque?  By my calculation that's spinning just under 46,000 rpm!  I take it you had the crank welded?  :P
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 09:39:14 AM »

:D :D :D

Ok.  FFFFFingers don't work.

111ft-lbs.

Thought about on of those high revvin Jap motors.  Nah just kidding.

:coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King

jarica

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Street Glide
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 10:53:35 PM »

I took some surface temperature readings (used a Fluke digital dual temp thermocouple thermometer) before and after exhaust / ECM modifications. Temperatures vary considerably as speed, throttle and load changes, and these temps were the higher readings.
Before: Stock 2009 SEUC

Air Temperature                 80 deg
Front Pipe @ O2 sensor       728 deg
Rear Pipe @ O2 sensor        960 deg
Collector Pipe @ cat          1041 deg
Oil temp                           273  deg (yikes)

After: 96" pipes / no cat / Jet Hot Extreme Sterling; 1.75 in Fullsac baffles; TTS Mastertune with Fullsac '09 SE 110 MAP; SERG Air Cleaner; AMSOIL 20w/50 in 3 holes.
Air Temperature                78 deg
Front Pipe @ O2 sensor      580 deg
Rear Pipe @ O2 sensor       745 deg
Collector Pipe / No Cat       706 deg
Oil Temp                          210 deg

Notes: After installing changes I did a 25 miles test run just prior to leaving for a 10 day, 3200 mile, 11 state tour with 10 other riders. Almost all back road twisties from sea level to 5800 ft elevation. One up, fully loaded, we rode rain or shine. The bike ran flawlessly, heat was never an issue, 40 to 45 mpg, with oil temp staying between 180 and 230. I do have the Lenale fans installed (cylinders and oil cooler) and used them when stuck in traffic, turning on at 230 degrees oil temp would keep oil temperature from climbing any higher and would lower the temp. Engine heat was no longer an issue and engine seems much quieter. Oh yeah, did I mention FAST!!! I plan on doing the V-Tune function soon and will post my results. Thank you Steve Cole of Mastertune and Steve George of Fullsac for putting together a great product combo. I'm smiling now.

Tom P.   
Which pipes did you install on your bike?  Do they have the wide band or narrow band O2 sensors?  Nice work!
Jarica
SE Ventilator
SE 255 Cams
Fullsac X-Pipe
Fullsac 2" Baffles
TTS Mastertune

maac16324

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 08 Dyna
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 05:44:49 PM »

I have two touring bikes. At home (Canada) I have an 09 CVO Ultra Classic. Here in New Zealand I took delivery of a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited in mid-December. I have about 20,000 miles on my CVO, and 10,000 miles on my Limited. Both are fitted with Harley dip stick temperature guages. New, both bikes commonly read between 265F and 275F on the guage. Type of riding and ambient temperatures really didn't seem to make much difference. Both bikes were uncomfortably hot, especially on the right thigh. The CVO particularly had a very annoying dead range on the throttle from 2,000 to 3,000 rpm. Both bikes felt lean in the mid range. On both bikes I removed the catalytic converters, installed a fuel management system (SERT for the CVO, PC5 for the Limited) and had the bikes dyno tuned to richen the air fuel mixtures. Both bikes got high flow air cleaners and the Limited got an Andrews 54H cam, true duals and SE Pipes. After the work the CVO immediately dropped to an average running oil temperature of 215F to 225F. The Limited seems to run slightly cooler between 205F to 220F. The difference in oil temperatures could be accounted for by a number of factors but both bikes have become a pleasure to drive, although mileage has dropped to give a range on a tank of about 200 miles on the road. Heat is no longer an issue and throttle response in the mid range is excellent.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »

Should make for fun, dependable rides.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 10:10:06 PM »

Former 1999 Road King
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 21 queries.