Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Dual Element Headlight Question  (Read 11559 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Dual Element Headlight Question
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 09:15:32 PM »

SERK didnt come with spots, but the ones i added are wired like your RK. this is the first time i have seen a molded connector on the newer style spots on your SEUC
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 09:19:09 PM »

SERK didnt come with spots, but the ones i added are wired like your RK. this is the first time i have seen a molded connector on the newer style spots on your SEUC

Had to go back and look.  That is different than our older ones.  Simpler though.  Socket unplugs from the standard automotive bulb and the bulb removes from the housing.  Nothing else to change.

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 09:20:37 PM »

will the Apexcone HIDs from DDM fit the older flat glass headlight w/o the bulb touching the glass??
or will i need to get another headlamp w/ more interior space??

thax

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »

Was that the change made in '05 when they went to the smooth lenses? I remember I upgraded mine (headlight and spots) when the '05's came out with the smooth lenses, but don't remember what they looked like inside when I did it. Damn "ole-timers". ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »

Decided would be easier to show it than explain it when you don't have the bits in front of you to illustrate the description.  Just popped one of mine from the red bike to show.  The bulb has pigtails that mate to the existing ground and power spades in the housing.  Disregard that red terminal cover.  It's not anything different.  Just had one get too warm a couple years ago when a bulb failed.  That's only the repair.

Got it.....for the Purple Bike.  Will need to change from sealed units to replaceable bulb housings and get a pair of those bulbs.  Thanks much.  I do much better with pictures than words.   :huepfenlol2:

I think I'll be able to locate replacements for the Green Bike locally.

REGGAB

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »

will the Apexcone HIDs from DDM fit the older flat glass headlight w/o the bulb touching the glass??
or will i need to get another headlamp w/ more interior space??

thax

Depends on bulb type.  Sounds like you're talking about the H4 units.  I'll let you know as soon as my kit arrives for my Purple Bike.

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »

Depends on bulb type.  Sounds like you're talking about the H4 units.  I'll let you know as soon as my kit arrives for my Purple Bike.

thanks, i appreciate it. h4 hi/lo is the size i'll need.   :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 10:23:59 PM »

thanks, i appreciate it. h4 hi/lo is the size i'll need.   :2vrolijk_21:

Just got a UPS tracking number from DDM.  Apexcone H4 HI/LO HID system for my FLHR will be here on 12 OCT.  Once it gets here, I'll let you know about HID bulb fitment in the old style headlight.

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 06:47:44 AM »

:)  thanks

REGGAB

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2009, 10:53:11 PM »

:)  thanks

H4 HID bulb assembly from Apexcone will fit in the old style headlight, but....................................

This is like trying to shove an elephant down a gnat's throat.

Wasn't expecting an umbilical with 5 legs and a circuit assembly just a smidge bigger than a match box.  Gotta run to the battery, so the tank must come loose.  No problem.  The problem is figuring out where the heck I'm gonna put the ballast, igniter, umbilical, and circuitry within the headlight nacelle in such a way that there is enough clearance between the back of the HID bulb assembly and the steering neck, nothing chaffs, everything is secure, and steering neck swing is not affected.  FUN!!

Not!

Too frustrated to take pictures.  This is supposed to be fun and therapeutic, but instead it has evolved to annoying and stressful.  Once I near that point, I clean up, put everything away, and save it for another day.  No sense in getting all worked up over something that is supposed to be fun.  Perhaps I'll layout the kit and take pictures tomorrow evening............except I'm not removing the HID bulb assembly from the headlight.  PITA to get the weather boot on, and the bulb assembly has to come apart.  This is by no means.....easy.....nor is it difficult, really.........just very annoying.  Just as soon as I think one item will fit, it won't fit, because something else gets in the way.

I guess I could just cram it all in there.   :huepfenlol2:

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 06:59:04 AM »

thanks again.

i've got an eglide so i've got more room but it still sounds like a pita.

REGGAB

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 07:58:14 AM »

thanks again.

i've got an eglide so i've got more room but it still sounds like a pita.

I think with an eglide, having just installed an H9/H11 Apexcone kit on mine, you'll have alot less challenges to face than I with a Road King, mainly in the real estate department, but you'll still have to run to the battery.  Started wondering if running to the battery is necessary, or would another unswitched hot work.  Apexcone instructions are written in "Engrish" so they're useless, and the schematics are automobile oriented, but simple enough to break down.  If I knew what was going on inside that circuit box with the five legs I'd feel better.
May end up installing that box in the void under the seat in front of the battery, lengthing the three prong connector harness, which goes to the stock headlight harness, using the long ballast harness, and running those harnesses under the tank to the headlight nacelle.  Then my only headache will be getting the ballast secured in the nacelle.
Anyway, your's should be easier.  Just secure the ballast to the rail under one of the speakers, and the circuit box to the rail under the other speaker.  Run the wiring, and you should be good to go.  You'll have to bundle up the unused long ballast harness and stow it somewhere out of the way.  Good luck!   :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »

I think with an eglide, having just installed an H9/H11 Apexcone kit on mine, you'll have alot less challenges to face than I with a Road King, mainly in the real estate department, but you'll still have to run to the battery.  Started wondering if running to the battery is necessary, or would another unswitched hot work.  Apexcone instructions are written in "Engrish" so they're useless, and the schematics are automobile oriented, but simple enough to break down.  If I knew what was going on inside that circuit box with the five legs I'd feel better.
May end up installing that box in the void under the seat in front of the battery, lengthing the three prong connector harness, which goes to the stock headlight harness, using the long ballast harness, and running those harnesses under the tank to the headlight nacelle.  Then my only headache will be getting the ballast secured in the nacelle.
Anyway, your's should be easier.  Just secure the ballast to the rail under one of the speakers, and the circuit box to the rail under the other speaker.  Run the wiring, and you should be good to go.  You'll have to bundle up the unused long ballast harness and stow it somewhere out of the way.  Good luck!   :2vrolijk_21:

The one you've got must be energized something like how the HD branded part is wired.  They need a homerun to A+ also.  All the other aftermarket installs I've done didn't though.  Just energized by the headlight feeds.  Nice and simple.  Done a half dozen or so from different manufacturers and all the same way.  A fair bit easier.

Also never did an H4 HID install in a Road King nacelle.  A couple of Road Kings but both got the dual element housing also.  One extra ballast to hide inside the nacelle.  But no hassle with no room for the long bulb sticking out the rear.

REGGAB

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »

All I did this evening was take a picture of the equipment.  Will likely save this task for the weekend.

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »

All the other aftermarket installs I've done didn't though.  Just energized by the headlight feeds.  Nice and simple.  Done a half dozen or so from different manufacturers and all the same way.  A fair bit easier.

2lane,

do you have any links for these other aftermarket hid lights?? i'd like to comparision shop before i buy.

tia :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.