Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: J&M Batwing Outer Fairing Liner -- New Product  (Read 2082 times)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
J&M Batwing Outer Fairing Liner -- New Product
« on: October 14, 2009, 10:03:18 AM »

Just a heads-up that J&M now offers a product for lining the outer fairing to improve bass and mid-range performance of fairing mounted speakers:

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=FSAP-HDCL&PF=43

A couple of months ago, I installed Dynaxorb (8" X 8" squares of a rubbery, acoustic shaped product) behind the fairing speakers and it definitely reduced vibration in the outer fairing and seemed to confirm Dynamat's theory and explanation of the product:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaxorb.html

My "test" was to play the stereo with my hand resting on the outer fairing and noticing pronounced vibration with the bike on the kickstand.  After installing the Dynaxorb pads, I repeated the "test" and noticed significantly less pronounced vibration in the outer fairing.  Riding the bike seemed to confirm the better bass and mid-range, but I'm leery that I was experiencing a placebo effect.

In any case, the J&M kit is an interesting, relatively inexpensive product.  

Edit:  J&M also offers the same product for Road Glide outer fairings, though the kit installs behind the speakers and doesn't line the entire outer fairing:

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=FSAP-HDRG&PF=44
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:06:21 AM by Harleypingman »

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: J&M Batwing Outer Fairing Liner -- New Product
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:23:08 AM »

This stuff has been proven effective improving audio sound systems in the automotive world. I've installed the Dynamat in both my vehicles doors and can can tell a big difference in the sound quality. No reason why this wouldn't help the sound quality from the batwing speaker systems.  The Dynamat or the J&M kit would both offer the same improvements.. Thanks for posting this info.  :2vrolijk_21:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »

Saw it on their website last night.  Will do the next time the fairing is off.  Figure it can't hurt for the cost.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:09:05 PM by Boatman »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »

Since I was ordering J&M Elite headset and Z cord, I went ahead and ordered the outer fairing liner for my EG from Vail Motorsports.  Easily the best pricing I found on the headsets and cord, but the liner is an odd shaped box so the discounted price on the liner plus shipping equaled the list price for the liner, $37.  Being shipped from Arizona today and may have it to install this weekend, especially if this horrendous rain in Atlanta continues.  I'll post some pictures of the installation.  

Brian, the owner of VM, was formerly J&M's pilot and a very nice guy; and, his wife, Kerry, is taking care of the billing and shipping - Brian was on his way to the airport for a flight.  Nice people.

Brian's phone:  (520) 471-2854
Kerry's phone:  (520) 7730-9399

Edit:  Apparently the material used for the liner is simply thin open cell foam (like a filter).  I cancelled the order before it was packed and shipped.  Still getting the headset/cord, but I'll await someone else's report on this product before I buy it.  In the meantime, I'll leave the DynaXorb behind the fairing mounted speakers.  My mistake in not asking about the material used before ordering the product in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:22:44 PM by Harleypingman »

Page created in 0.714 seconds with 21 queries.