Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: zumo 550 / 660 ???  (Read 13032 times)

Ultra2010

zumo 550 / 660 ???
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:24:31 PM »

OK, I guess I can do a search but what I am looking for here is INFO FOR DUMIES.  My phone will not do "bluetooth" whatever that is....  guess it's kinda like wireless but whatever..........  I hear so much about the two models but this is what I'm looking for.  In the future I guess I'll get a phone that will work with it.  I assume then it would go through a headset via the intercom???  OK, between the two, 550 or 660, which is good for a non-techie guy.  I just wanna turn it on, get clear directions, find hotels, food, gas, etc...  take or make a phone call....  I do not have a little music player, just pop in a CD and go.....  OR maybe one of you guys could enlighten me and bring me into the current century!!!  I guess I'm lost about trying not to be lost......

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
Re: zumo 550 / 660 ???
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:41:18 PM »

I'm like you, not very techy or care too much for all the bells and whistles. I bought the Zumo 450, all the features of a 550 without the bluetooth stuff. I like it very much and it works well for what I got it for. I will most likely go for the 660 within the next year for only the bigger screen and a couple of new features. Both are equally easy to use, but, given the choice, I'd go for the 660.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Ultra2010

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:12:37 AM »

I'm like you, not very techy or care too much for all the bells and whistles. I bought the Zumo 450, all the features of a 550 without the bluetooth stuff. I like it very much and it works well for what I got it for. I will most likely go for the 660 within the next year for only the bigger screen and a couple of new features. Both are equally easy to use, but, given the choice, I'd go for the 660.

Thanks UFO HOG, the "I like it very much and works well for what I got it for"  is the kinda chit I was looking for.  REALLY.  Here's techie for ya,   I recently bought a VCR/DVD machine, but quickly learned I could not hook it up to my TV since it didn't have a plug to screw in the cable, and the TV only has the cable plug..............  go figure, a vcr without a cable plug!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 07:43:27 AM »

Which ever one you get the 550 or 660 you will be happy as Garmin is a great company and they will take care of you if there ever is a problem. They both work pretty much the same way and are easy to use once you get used to them. The 660 has a wider screen and will be easier to see as ones eye's age. They both have Bluetooth so when it comes time to buy another phone you will be OK. However, having said that you need to be sure the phone you do eventually buy is compatible with the GPS unit you have. You can find a list of compatible phones on the Garmin site so don't buy the phone until you check with Garmin.

In order to hear the turn directions from the GPS the audio output of the GPS has to go to the Auxiliary input on the radio and the radio has to be in the Auxiliary input mode. In order to make or receive a phone call you will need to buy another interface unit, such as the HDBOMM, Kennedy CellSet, or J&M unit. The price for these starts around $90.00 and goes to over $500.00 depending on what you want.

Stick with Garmin and you won't be sorry.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »

I believe the 550 has XM radio where the 660 does not.  I'm not to tech savy either but for that one feature alone (I get tired of having to change CDs every time I stop), I'd have to go with the 550 if it were me.  As it is, I'm still using my Garmin 2730 Streetpilot.  They don't make it any longer, but it meets my needs. :2vrolijk_21:

As for a cable for your VCR/DVD player to your TV......I think you can go to Fry's Electronics and get an adapter cable.  Don't ask me how I'd know this but I did finally break down and buy a couple of HD flat screens.  The color coded plug and play was designed for people like me.:2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 12:09:54 PM »

Yes the 550 has XM capability but it will cost you about $150.00 more for the antenna. Both the 550 and the 660 are capable of playing MP3 files of your favorite music. You can put well over 12 hours of music on the memory cards which you have to buy separately but they are not expensive under $30.00 for a 2 Geg card. Now the 550 uses an SD card while the 660 uses a mini card. Lots of people don't like the mini card because of its small size and it is fragile and can be broken without even trying. The 660's card fit's into the mount and this makes it hard to change out if you have more then one card and this is where it gets broken if your not careful inserting the GPS into the mount. The 550's SD card can be changed in 10 seconds and fits into the Zumo itself. You can effectively put 20 CD's worth of music on the memory cards and this will save you from having to change CD's. Also if you put your music on the memory card you can listen to them and if a turn direction or a phone call comes thru the Zumo will interrupt the music automatically and return to the music after the turn direction or phone call all automatically.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 01:58:04 PM »

Yes the 550 has XM capability but it will cost you about $150.00 more for the antenna. Both the 550 and the 660 are capable of playing MP3 files of your favorite music. You can put well over 12 hours of music on the memory cards which you have to buy separately but they are not expensive under $30.00 for a 2 Geg card. Now the 550 uses an SD card while the 660 uses a mini card. Lots of people don't like the mini card because of its small size and it is fragile and can be broken without even trying. The 660's card fit's into the mount and this makes it hard to change out if you have more then one card and this is where it gets broken if your not careful inserting the GPS into the mount. The 550's SD card can be changed in 10 seconds and fits into the Zumo itself. You can effectively put 20 CD's worth of music on the memory cards and this will save you from having to change CD's. Also if you put your music on the memory card you can listen to them and if a turn direction or a phone call comes thru the Zumo will interrupt the music automatically and return to the music after the turn direction or phone call all automatically.

I don't know what version of the 660 you're talking about getting the Micro SD card broken when you put the 660 into the mount.  On my Road Tech 660, that would be virtually impossible, as the Micro SD card is located in the battery compartment.  You have to take the back cover off and remove the battery to insert or take the card out.  No way it can get broken by inserting it wrong into the mount.  I put an 8 GB card in mine and will never have to change it.  You can load all the songs you want via the USB cable and still have plenty of space for trips. 

If you get the 660, it has bluetooth stereo capability that the 550 doesn't, which means not only can you listen to the GPS directions through the headset, you can listen to the MP3 tunes, and if you buy a headset with a boom mike, you can use your cell phone also and make calls.  I love the 660.  I don't miss not haveing XM with it, because I've got more than enough tunes loaded on the 8GB microSD card.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Ultra2010

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 02:26:50 PM »

WOW, a ton of very good information in no time!!  THANKS.  I've learned more from you guys than I have from reading chit on the web.  Please don't stop now.........  this is/will save me a lot of time and hassell.  What a fantastic pipeline to folks in the know!!!   :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ:  I hear ya on the TV chit, going to Costco tomorrow for mine. 

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »

Of course you got a ton of information----You wanted to spend money and everyone is here to help!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »

I don't know what version of the 660 you're talking about getting the Micro SD card broken when you put the 660 into the mount.  On my Road Tech 660, that would be virtually impossible, as the Micro SD card is located in the battery compartment.  You have to take the back cover off and remove the battery to insert or take the card out.  No way it can get broken by inserting it wrong into the mount.  I put an 8 GB card in mine and will never have to change it.  You can load all the songs you want via the USB cable and still have plenty of space for trips. 

If you get the 660, it has bluetooth stereo capability that the 550 doesn't, which means not only can you listen to the GPS directions through the headset, you can listen to the MP3 tunes, and if you buy a headset with a boom mike, you can use your cell phone also and make calls.  I love the 660.  I don't miss not haveing XM with it, because I've got more than enough tunes loaded on the 8GB microSD card.

Noticed you mentioned a 8GB card and was wondering if there was still the 1000 song limit of songs the Zumo would recognize as it is on the 550?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ultra2010

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 03:20:17 PM »

1000 songs!  I don't think Waylon, Willie and The Boys even did that many............ 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »

1000 songs!  I don't think Waylon, Willie and The Boys even did that many............ 
With a 8GB card you'll have the space to put about 2000 songs on there. I have a 4GB in my 550 and it's pretty close to 1000 songs. If the 660's don't recognize over 1000 songs then there is no need for a 8GB unless you just have one sitting around you aren't using.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 04:20:07 PM »

Noticed you mentioned a 8GB card and was wondering if there was still the 1000 song limit of songs the Zumo would recognize as it is on the 550?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Gary,
I don't think that's an issue with the 660.  I have over 1000 songs on my card and it, as far as I can tell, plays them all... :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »

Gary,
I don't think that's an issue with the 660.  I have over 1000 songs on my card and it, as far as I can tell, plays them all... :2vrolijk_21:

Kewl. :2vrolijk_21:  Next time you out just to verify select "Play All" and see if it says "1 of ?  ? ? ?" hopefully the second number will be more then 1000. I've been searching the Zumo forum for an answer but hadn't found an answer.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 09:19:59 PM »

I never owned a 550, but I bought the 660 because I already have XM radio on my CVO Ultras and have put about 45,000 miles of riding on the 660  since the unit was released by Garmin in May 2009. I am very happy with it. It takes a while to get to know all the features, such as hotels nearest the current location vs hotels at the destination. I also bought the lifetime unlimited map updates from Garmin for $100. Not only does the unlimited map deal update the map on your 660, but also in Mapsource on your computer, so you can upload routes, waypoints, custom POIs (all the HD dealers in the US & Canada), etc using the same source map and target map. The custom POIs come in handy when you need an oil change, I think garmin updates the map about 4 times per year.

I put a 16 Gig memory card in it and never have taken the card out. I load all my music, playlists, etc., into the 660 by plugging the usb cable from my computer directly into the garmin with the battery cover off. I have about 50 playlists with 600 plus songs and only use about 3 gigs. It works slick. I also bought the phone interface from James Bissonette so when I bluetooth my blackberry to the garmin, I can talk on the telephone through my J&M headset mic when the garmin is in aux mode (which is the same mode as the MP3 music, so it's easy to know when you get a call because the phone rings and interrupts the music). That feature works relatively well, but there is room for technology improvement with the mic quality (people being able to hear you clearly). I have that set up on two Ultras and people on the other end of the phone can hear me okay. It's definitely not as good as a bluetooth earpiece I wear when not riding but it's better than not having anything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.