Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Got D&D Fatcat 2 into 1 with standard baffle.... I'm a little disappointed?  (Read 8406 times)

L.A.Player

Okay guys I was excited when I saw FedEx deliver the pipe and,  once I got it on the bike and on the Dyno the smile turned into a frown :(  Let go over my current build: 2006 Road Glide, 95" kit from Harley with the flat top pistons, S.E. Premium adjustable pushrods, S.E. air cleaner, Headquarters 0034 bolt in cams, Thunderheader slipon's, and dynoed with Technoresearh Direct Link...  It came out to be 100.41 Max Torque & 85.68 Max Power.  Now I change to a D&D Fatcat with standard baffle and my numbers go down to 88.71 Max Torque & 84.07 Max power. Why such a big loss???  What can I do with the new pipe to get back the same or better numbers? I need some help from the builders so please chime in.  :soapbox:

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost

why worry over the numbers, stay away from the dyno machine. get the sound you want and then tune it. unless you're runnin against some Busa's on the boulevard.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"

why worry over the numbers, stay away from the dyno machine. get the sound you want and then tune it. unless you're runnin against some Busa's on the boulevard.

Now that's some great advice!

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited

Same thing here. Dyno sheets don't look good taped onto the front fairing.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)

Same thing here. Dyno sheets don't look good taped onto the front fairing.

Very true, but let's not fully dismiss the value of a great dyno chart. A dyno chart that has great quantitative #s showing a broad flat torque curve and an endless ramping hp curve COMBINED with a tremendous seat-of-the-pants sensation of acceleration and smooth throttle responsiveness is THE ONLY WAY to know you've squeezed the full performance out of an engine build. Just having a great seat-of-the-pants sensation may actually result in alot of engine's performance not being available to the rider.

A bike can be tuned to running smoothly and responsively while still leaving alot of performance "on the table". A dyno is the only way to know if you've gotten your money's worth from a serious engine build.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Is the tuner actually dyno tuning step by step range by range tuning the bike or just letting Direct Link suggest a map?  If the latter you're likely not getting much of a tune.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024

Okay guys I was excited when I saw FedEx deliver the pipe and,  once I got it on the bike and on the Dyno the smile turned into a frown :(  Let go over my current build: 2006 Road Glide, 95" kit from Harley with the flat top pistons, S.E. Premium adjustable pushrods, S.E. air cleaner, Headquarters 0034 bolt in cams, Thunderheader slipon's, and dynoed with Technoresearh Direct Link...  It came out to be 100.41 Max Torque & 85.68 Max Power.  Now I change to a D&D Fatcat with standard baffle and my numbers go down to 88.71 Max Torque & 84.07 Max power. Why such a big loss???  What can I do with the new pipe to get back the same or better numbers? I need some help from the builders so please chime in.  :soapbox:
Contact D&D and talk to the tech department and inform him of your complete situation.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3

...  It came out to be 100.41 Max Torque & 85.68 Max Power.  Now I change to a D&D Fatcat with standard baffle and my numbers go down to 88.71 Max Torque & 84.07 Max power. Why such a big loss???  What can I do with the new pipe to get back the same or better numbers? I need some help from the builders so please chime in.  :soapbox:

If the first numbers were done as a "before" run on the same dyno you have a serious tuning problem. There is no other way you will lose 12 lb/ft TQ switching from the TH slip-ons to the D&D FatCat. You did not mention it, but were you also using the stock '06 header pipes with the TH slip-ons? Post the dyno sheet with AFR graph. Something seem very wrong.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

If it truly is a direct before-and-after comparison with no other changes or failures it's a not unfair bet to suspect the Direct Link.  Have watched supposed "tuners" roll bikes up on a dyno, go through a few spins with Direct Link and say "all done."  That's no closer to "done" than Cybil will ever be.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

If it truly is a direct before-and-after comparison with no other changes or failures it's a not unfair bet to suspect the Direct Link.  Have watched supposed "tuners" roll bikes up on a dyno, go through a few spins with Direct Link and say "all done."  That's no closer to "done" than Cybil will ever be.

<spew>  BURN!!!    :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: Got D&D Fatcat 2 into 1 with standard baffle.... I'm a little disappointed?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »

Line of the day! Howie's probably wondering why his nose is bleeding!

JW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »

Same air temp? barometric pressure? same fuel? same load on the dyno?  Any of these variables may induce a 1.879 % difference...By the way, in my world a difference at 2% or less is zero sum in 90% of cases, called allowable error...but 90% of all statistics are phoney......Enjoy the ride... ;)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »

Was it even the same tuner/dyno?  :nixweiss:
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

L.A.Player

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 10:15:09 PM »

Yep the same...

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »

A friend of mine went from a D&D w/ standard baffle to the QB and lost 12 ft lbs. They changed back to std baffle and found the tuner hadn't downloaded new software from HD for his bike('09 UC). Dynoed again and found 4 ft lbs more than original tune with std baffle.
Check tuners ability w/ 2010's.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.