Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Where do they go???  (Read 2725 times)

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
Where do they go???
« on: January 18, 2006, 07:06:02 PM »

Many of us are second guessing the MoCo's decision to ramp up production over the past few years in an attempt to grow market share. Dealership inventories are definitely "crowded" compared to what the used to be. I waited 18 months for a '97 Heritage Springer. I waited 6 months for a '00 Road King Classic. It was part of the mystique and I enjoyed it even though I may have complained at the time. Today you can buy most any model on the spot - even a SECU if you shop around a little.
So where are they all going? Who's going to buy all of these motorcycles? How long will the market continue? And while you ponder that, where did all of the special edition '98 95th anniversary bikes go. There were thousands. And how about the '03 100th bikes? A year ago they were everywhere. Seemed like everybody was riding one at Sturgis in '03. Now you rarely see one. Are they all parked in some secret place or rusting away in musty dark garages?  
[smiley=nixweiss.gif]
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Where do they go???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 07:47:52 PM »

I would think over production would be good for the consumer. Like you, I had to wait for my first Harley, then again on my CVO. But as you stated dealer showrooms are full of bikes, and you can get most any model you want, even the CVO's if you search around. I've noticed that most dealers are having some kind of incentive for buying a scooter during slow winter months (plus for consumer). Now can you imagine what it will be like come July/August when the 2007 models are introduced and dealers still have there showrooms full of 2006 bikes. It will be like car dealers now, reductions, incentives, etc (again all good for the consumer).

As for the 95th Anniversary bikes I haven't seen many of them around lately either, so you may be right they may be "stored" somewhere for safe keeping. At least the true
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:15:11 PM »

I feel most of the 100th Anniversary bikes where bought by people just wanting to join in on the party. I know a guy that has only 1,000 miles on his. Pretty much hasn't ridden it since '03, bought to be cool riding to Milwaukee just to pose.  Now it's just sitting in the garage.  I know a few that thought the 100th bikes where going to increase in value, so they just bought to make a profit.

In past years, how many Harley commercials did we see on t.v.? Now they are advertising all the time...

I feel that H.D. really screwed up by over producing in '03. It just flooded the market and depreciated all the used bikes. Now instead of selling, and buying new, people are just keeping their 3-4 year old bikes. They haven't changed except for the colors anyway. So why lose big money just to turn around and buy a new one in a different color.

Just my opinion.

Grover

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 09:19:38 PM »

Overproduction may be good for the consumer in the short run, and may even convince some of the "stealers" to start treating us halfway right, but it is going to play hell with used bike values.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 09:32:31 PM »

I wish they would ramp up the painted parts i need for b/b 04 seeg-AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 09:59:37 PM »

I wish they would ramp up the painted parts i need for b/b 04 seeg-AK

What are you seekin', perhaps we can assist in the process...

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 10:19:52 PM »

Jock- Inner,outer fairing,f fender ,gas tank,Right lower,Right Bag. 2lane gave me a heads up on company that paints parts for hd i called talked with gal for 20 minutes very help full she said they only do fender and tank and could get out fairly fast but that the plastic had to be done by harley in tomahawk  thats where i,m boged down (Don thanks for the tip)-AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 09:43:19 AM »

Many of us are second guessing the MoCo's decision to ramp up production over the past few years in an attempt to grow market share. Dealership inventories are definitely "crowded" compared to what the used to be. I waited 18 months for a '97 Heritage Springer. I waited 6 months for a '00 Road King Classic. It was part of the mystique and I enjoyed it even though I may have complained at the time. Today you can buy most any model on the spot - even a SECU if you shop around a little.
So where are they all going? Who's going to buy all of these motorcycles? How long will the market continue? And while you ponder that, where did all of the special edition '98 95th anniversary bikes go. There were thousands. And how about the '03 100th bikes? A year ago they were everywhere. Seemed like everybody was riding one at Sturgis in '03. Now you rarely see one. Are they all parked in some secret place or rusting away in musty dark garages?

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 09:44:13 AM »

Other side.........

My Buddy and my daughter were amazed when I rolled the "new version" I created last winter out of the garage for the first time. I had stripped it to the frame, engine & tranny after the wife complained she had too many twins around town, The makeover was my Christmas present to her. She's much happier with it these days......

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 10:00:59 AM »

Harley has something special up there sleeve for 07 production year.  
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 10:29:42 AM »

Cool JCZ,

Inquiring minds want to know!

Yellowsedeuce

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 10:31:30 AM »

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:33:00 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 10:48:15 AM »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 10:51:37 AM »

we gotta switch you to decaf
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 01:23:20 PM »

Hi ezrider,
You sure raise lots of points in you post. I would have to make a guess and think Harley is in a holding pattern right now and is probably dealing with the supply & demand issues as usual but also concerned with EPA pollution and noise requirements and other issues too.
They can't stay in business if they can't build a compliant motorcycle. They may have reached their limit for the air-cooled engine as we know it. I bet they don't want to spend lots of design time on an engine they think is on the way out.
I'm sure most of us would love a 124,131 or even a 145 or larger twin cam in our Harley but I bet that never happens. What we will probably see in the not too distant future is a water cooled revolution type motor in out softails and touring bikes. Hopefully it will have the power and torque we want.
As far as the 95th anniversary bikes are concered I think many thought it would be a collector and maybe someday it will for museums or a nastalga buff. It was a great acomplishment for Harley to make 95 years, very few companies make it that long but it is kind of an odd anniversary that looses it value once the 100th is celebrated.
Collectables in general never really grow in value unless there is a set limit to start such as #1 of 50 etc. If the limited edition or collectable is made with the idea that they will make as many as is wanted at first then you have just sold to everyone who wanted one.Thereby you just killed your demand once that is satisfied.
Also the idea of a Harley as an collectable investment sounds like a RUB idea to me. Shouldn't a Harley be bought for the love of the bike and riding?
Those people bought the bike to fit an image and invest not ride and really be a part of the lifestyle.
In the supply and demand area I think Harley's problem is trying to have ties to the past yet promote a powerful modern image too. The age of the average Harley rider is older than other brands due to the older image and the inital cost to own one. I'm sure many folks wanted a Harley when they were younger but couldn't afford it. They need more lower cost bikes at the entry level to get long time riders and create the next generation Harley riders.
I think the dealers need to work better with the customers to help find the bike desired by the customer at MSRP or close to it.The internet and magazines provide so much info now that most customer know what they should be paying and it breeds contempt if the customer walks in and can't find his bike or it is at an inflated price.
I had to wait over 6 months to get my 2006 FLHTCUSE but I'm glad I didn't settle for another bike. I also got it at MSRP. Many folks don't have the patience for the wait.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 01:25:59 PM by VaEagle »

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 01:52:25 PM »

Thats Good stuff twolane. [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
hdnut

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 02:11:45 PM »

So where are they all going? Who's going to buy all of these motorcycles? How long will the market continue? And while you ponder that, where did all of the special edition '98 95th anniversary bikes go. There were thousands. And how about the '03 100th bikes? A year ago they were everywhere. Seemed like everybody was riding one at Sturgis in '03. Now you rarely see one. [highlight]Are they all parked in some secret place or rusting away in musty dark garages?[/highlight]

SEvet

• Junior CVO Member
    • AZ
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 03:21:54 PM »

All together now....

"O.C.D"   "O.C.D."   "O.C.D" 8-)
2015 Stage 4 Road Glide
Coming - 2016 Fatboy
Past rides;
2000 SERG w/SE heads, Race Tuner, V&H ovals
'01 FLHRI, 95"
2009 SERG Silver V&H Power Duals, 2" Fullsac baffles, HB

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 03:34:13 PM »

Good discussion from all of you. I believe Harley Davidson has evolved to be much more than just a motorcycle manufacturer - it's now a culture. Most of us in this group invest in the product to ride and enjoy. Others undoubtedly invest in it because they want to be a part of the culture and nothing more than that. Their rides are parked someplace under cover with few miles showing. Those poor folks never fully understand the excitement and enjoyment we feel doing an "Iron Butt Run" or the magnet that draws some of us to ride thousands of miles to gather at Sturgis, Daytona or the hundreds of other places we gather to be with our family of riders. They don't know what it's like to wake up in the middle of the night and have to go out to the garage - just to have a look and make sure that new CVO is all right. I applaud the culture for helping financially to prop up the MoCo so the rest of us will always have access to the motorcycles we love.
Twolane's vision of 2007 may be right but I doubt it. I do however enjoy his humor.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 07:04:30 PM »

Cool JCZ,

Inquiring minds want to know!

Yellowsedeuce

Yeaa, I want to know too.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 07:05:32 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 12:37:31 PM »

I was at a bike show in Kansas City yesterday and discovered where some of those legacy models are going. They're being converted into trikes. There were at least 4 trike builders there with many versions of their work. There was a very nice 95th Anniversary Fatboy looked pretty nice as a trike. There were also several versions of CVO's including a '03 SERK and a Deuce. Hadn't seen a Deuce trike before. I'm not a trike person but interesting stuff for those who are.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 12:42:02 PM by ezrider4 »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 12:56:01 PM »

we gotta switch you to decaf
Oh, I think it's worse than that.  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 21 queries.