Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Barrett-Jackson  (Read 2480 times)

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
Barrett-Jackson
« on: January 22, 2006, 12:55:53 PM »

The weathers been ugly this weekend so I've been pretty much house-bound. I've been fascinated watching the Barrett-Jackson auction live from Phoenix on the Speed channel. It makes you want to forget any stocks, mutual funds or other investments and just by collector cars. They've had '69 Camaro CPO and Z cars selling for $400K+, MOPAR hemi cars selling for over $500K, '70 Chevelle 454 bringing over $400K, a Pontiac prototype car selling for just under $3M and the biggy, an early 50's GM motorhome brought $4.1 million! Sure makes you scratch you head and wonder who's had all of these cars stashed away. Some have almost no miles on them.
A few custom motorcycles sneak in once in a while and usually bring good money too. I wonder what would happen if Barrett-Jackson did a MOTORCYCLES ONLY auction - maybe from Daytona. It would be interesting what would come out of storage for the event. It might bring out some interesting stuff from the Jay Leno's of the world. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

SPIDERMAN

Re: Barrett-Jackson
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 01:34:26 PM »

Several comments   1st off where the hell do all these people get the money they're spending ? 2nd they do sell a bike or two and they usually go cheap since none of these folks are bikers. even the commentators don't have a freakin clue when a chopper goes up on stage. There is a huge bike auction every year in Vegas  Craig Jackson can keep his hands out of our pockets. Watch him whenever he is on camera and tell me what the difference between him and the guy down the street selling used cars on an old gas station lot is   One thing    MONEY

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 01:36:15 PM »

It is interesting watching the auction. But I believe that auction alone has put he collector car hobby out of reach of most people.

You have to be a whole lot more then just "well to do" to buy a 69 Dodge Coronet Super Bee for you ten year old son for $200K!

There is a trickle down effect too. Go to a swap meet and the prices people are asking are getting way out of hand.

I have been looking for an older vetted for a awhile and one of my fire bros got lucky several years finding an original 67 427 for 15K.
Very discouraging, but, if I ever win the lottery I'll be out there adding to the problem [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Makes me wish I had kept "all" of my early cars......
1st car 68 383 Roadrunner, then - 69 440 RR, 69 440 6pack 4spd Charger, 67 Barracuda, 65 Dart with a 340 in it, and my favorite a, 70 340 6-pack Dart.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 01:44:46 PM »

Porthole - I share your pain.
'66 Chevelle SS 396
'66 Mustang Conv't
'67 Mustang 390
'70 Dodge Challenger 340
'70 Nova SS
Ah, they list goes on. Sad thing is they've probably all been through the crusher by now.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 01:45:13 PM »

I hate the BJ auctions.  It's a carnival barker and his shills, nothing more.  The environment is artifiical and it hurts the hobby.  And when I say carnival barker and shills that's really it.  The entire thing is geared toward absolute maximization of revenue streams for the service.  The buyer pays, the seller pays, fees for everything from documents handling to parking are added on top, the only thing they don't have is pay toilets.  I'm not an unbiased observer where these events are concerned.

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 01:56:02 PM »

Several comments

DEAN_NELSON

• Junior CVO Member
  • NOW A DFT TRIKE
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 02:12:06 PM »

I think they sold $86M in cars. He gets 8% from the buyer so that is like 6.8M to them. I know I know he has cost to put it all together........how bout a guess .....3M?   So he ends up with 3.8M

I have a 1971 LS-6 with 35,000 miles, been to NCRS , top flight all that stuff, ( bought car in 1991) one of 188 G.M. made.

I thought it might be worth....$75,000 to 85,000.

After this I think $125,000 to 150,000 ????

I did see a PYO run through I think it went for $76,000.00

And the G.M. bus for 4.1M........I know where one is north of Chicago, old and wore out but it is just sitting their..........lets see we all get toghther and buy the thing, restore it and have whever in the cost to restore and take it their next year and pull 2M and we would all be happy!

Dean
2006 USE
2004 SEEG SOLD
2002 V-ROD CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING
1977 XLCR
1970 XLH
1963 CHSHMAN

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 02:32:49 PM »

I think they sold $86M in cars. He gets 8% from the buyer so that is like 6.8M to them. I know I know he has cost to put it all together........how bout a guess .....3M?

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 03:15:08 PM »

I think they sold $86M in cars. He gets 8% from the buyer so that is like 6.8M to them. I know I know he has cost to put it all together........how bout a guess .....3M?
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 03:47:51 PM »

I talked with Paul Yaffe this past weekend as he was at the Louisville, Ky Easyrider's Bike Show. He was extremely happy about his bike being sold at Barrett-Jackson for that kind of money. I was joking with him about one night he's on TV for BJ and the next day he's signing poster's in Kentucky. He mentioned the guy who bought the bike was a real nice gentlemen from Alabama.

DEAN_NELSON

• Junior CVO Member
  • NOW A DFT TRIKE
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »

Hubbard,

Yea....fogot about the guy that buys and what he pays him.

You are right about one smart guy on this whole deal

Dean
2006 USE
2004 SEEG SOLD
2002 V-ROD CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING
1977 XLCR
1970 XLH
1963 CHSHMAN

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 05:03:18 PM »

Dean
         Ok, this is off thread, but what's a [highlight]DFT[/highlight] Trike   ( please spare me the part about three wheels)  

PS  Nice car you've got. Do you drive it much  I think with that kind of value I'd be at least a little nervous

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 06:01:10 PM »

Several comments

DEAN_NELSON

• Junior CVO Member
  • NOW A DFT TRIKE
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »

Spiderman,

DFT is a trike converstion Co that has been doing trike kits for 12 years. The kit will fit 85 and up Harleys and 1500 and 1800 Goldwings. You can look at www.dfttrikes.com to see them.

This kit is true IRS much like a Corvette rear end.When mounted on the bike, our center section is bolted to the bike frame and moves with the bike as one solid unit, than the wheels are the only item that moves up and down. Not like the straight axle (car) company's. With their unit, the whole axle ass'y moves up and down. Sprung and unsprung weight is what it's all about.

The unit was made by Leon Thill, Lee and I had built show bikes in the 70's and I have know him for the last 35 years. He also built a lot of street rods back than.

As most companys, Lee got into this trike thing when a guy we know from the 70's wanted Lee to take his wifes Harley and make it into a trike. Mike knew Lee had built a trike as a show bike with two 750cc Honda motors sitting side by side and a corvette type rear end. Lee built the trike. after the first summer she had it his phone never stop and he got into building the kit. DFT has 120 dealers now that buy the kit and do the installs.

I don't know if that is what you ment by "what is DFT" but their you go......
Or if it was what does DFT stand for ........the names of the three who started the Co.

The LS-6 Corvette was a "luck" deal.......car was on a use car lot in the late 80's. I never stoped to look at it as I drove to work each day and went right past it. I thought it was just a 71 and with the 454 on the hood just assume it to be a common LS-5 motor at 365 hp. Paint was flake over the factory paint and all chiped up from crackes. I get a call from a Vette guy that I ran around with one night and asked if I ever looked at that car at the used dealer and I said no car is a waste. He tells me he bought it.......and it is a LS-6 car.

I went right to his house and their it sat one wore out car but it was a real LS-6 car.

He paid the dealer $7100.00 for it. At the time if it did not run it was worth $20,000.00. The dealer just thought of it as a 1971 Vette, he had no clue as to what it was.

He put $30,000.00 in it to rebuilt the motor, trans, rear end and some interor stuff, last thing he did was repaint the same silver that it was from G.M.

Than he needed money, was offered $65,000 for it in 92 so I bought it from him for $40,000 as that is how much he needed.

I have only uesd it 500-600 miles in the 13 years I have had it. but I always put it in a trailer and goto shows with it, very little on the street. If it ever got hit ........I'd be lost.

I just don't use it and was thinking it is time to move on and mabey let it go to someone who would have fun with it....

Dean

2006 USE
2004 SEEG SOLD
2002 V-ROD CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING
1977 XLCR
1970 XLH
1963 CHSHMAN

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 06:24:06 PM »

Dean,
         I was wondering if DFT was a type of trike that I had not heard of, you know the nomenclature changes with the technology and it's hard for an old dog to keep up sometimes, but Yes you answered my question. If my arthritis gets too much worse, I'll be looking you up in a few years.

I sent you a PM on another subject.

Big Brian
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 22 queries.