Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: HB Wedge Primary Tensioner  (Read 10120 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: HB Wedge Primary Tensioner
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 07:10:22 PM »

:drink:
Let's not forget we're riding Harleys here.........I'm seeing a little too much concern about "quality" of parts.

If that was really a major concern,  one might NOT be riding a harley in the first place........ :-\

P.S.  I'm retired and on my fourth Harley..........and damn expensive SE model to boot.  But give me a break on being over concerned about a primary chain tensioner and "quality"............if it works,  it works.......

Ride on................. :2vrolijk_21:

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »

:drink:
Let's not forget we're riding Harleys here.........I'm seeing a little too much concern about "quality" of parts.

If that was really a major concern,  one might NOT be riding a harley in the first place........ :-\

P.S.  I'm retired and on my fourth Harley..........and damn expensive SE model to boot.  But give me a break on being over concerned about a primary chain tensioner and "quality"............if it works,  it works.......

Ride on................. :2vrolijk_21:

Yours may be working fine but after replacing two of the stock tensioners I am getting tired of chit parts from MOCO.   Doc

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »

:cherry:
"Yours may be working fine but after replacing two of the stock tensioners I am getting tired of chit parts from MOCO.   Doc"

:drink: You need to re-read and catch up on who said what.......I replaced my HD tensioner with the SOHOT BIKE one.  Some were complaining about the quality of the latter one too.   Mine works OK and no complaints.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 12:01:01 PM »

As I recall, J.C.'s '04 ratched up so far it locked the primary chain. Mine was just replaced this week @ 50K because it wasn't tightening up enough.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 07:47:06 AM »

The problem I have with the 09 SERG ratchet tensioner is that is does not tighten up, The chain would beat it up loose and HD had to replace two of them, If you manually tighten it up just a little it would whirl, to tight. Anyway Iam am going in for the third time in 10.000 miles and a suspect HD will install another one. I hope it gets a primary chain this time, could be the problem in the first place although I have not seen inside the primary myself.  Doc

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 10:05:29 AM »

:cherry:
"If you manually tighten it up just a little it would whirl, to tight"

The (spring loaded) M6 tensioner that I had on my 'ol 2001 RK,  made that sound after I first installed it,  but if you let it alone for a few hundred miles,  that sound will go away.........I think what happened is the chain "removes"/wears away a slight bit of the nylon (shoe) and then the tension is right where you want it to be.

In your case,  sounds like the hydraulic tension is insuffient to remove the excess slack :nixweiss:

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 09:36:05 AM »

Well I put the Wedge in mine the other day, when I got in there the primary chain was WAY TOO tight, you could have played dueling banjos on that one primary chain.   Probably the reason 3rd and 4th sounded so bad before, they are better now.  Didn't notice much difference in finding neutral or shifting, but the whirrrr is gone when it's idling.  Also found my comp to have alot of play, was going to put in the SE Comp but ya gotta remove the inner and I just wasn't up for all that.  I had a friend make a shim to go in with the spring pak and that tightened it up alot, can feel the difference riding it also, the banging is gone when I let off the throttle (I know, I should try to avoid that) and get back on it.  Though the tranny still has alot of slop, talked with Baker (Transmissions) about it and they said it's normal, even if it were the new 7sp it would still have that slop, it's cogs (or did he say dogs) in the trans that do it, nothing can be done there.

Bandit_3

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »

What were the symptoms or noises that led to belive that it was the chain tentioner. I know some people that went back to the adjustable tentioner.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 12:20:05 AM »

Baker recommends against an auto chain adjuster with their gearset.

Although, when I ordered my DD6 they could not give me a reason as to why they don't recommend it.

Put the HD version back in with the new gearset and so far it seems ok.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

fix it myself

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »

:( Had every thing in primary replaced,then the rotor n stator self destructed.then new primary chain and bearings in primary.all done at dealer bike still was shifting like S>>>,chain slapping ,ect.  the wedge cured all my night mares. SOHB is my hero,told the dealer its pretty said  when you spend 47k on a bike and you have to fix it your self.  2010 CVO with over 7k mi.    changed the oil today and found metal chips in filter,so who knows whats next it might self destruct yet.  been riding HD for 34yrs and have stock in them. i am getting worried,they have to get there S"""" together and i hope its quick.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.