Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Author Topic: ipod interface install  (Read 39728 times)

fasttruck

ipod interface install
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:11:57 AM »

Has anyone out there installed the Boom ipod intrface yet ??  Did it work as h-d says it will ??  How hard was it to install ??  Just a plug and play or some fun ?? wiring   I saw this in the new parts book and thought it looked  good  Thanks for your help   fasttruck

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: ipod interface install
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:44:26 AM »

Has anyone out there installed the Boom ipod intrface yet ??  Did it work as h-d says it will ??  How hard was it to install ??  Just a plug and play or some fun ?? wiring   I saw this in the new parts book and thought it looked  good  Thanks for your help   fasttruck

I don't know if anybody has done it, but here is a thread with some interesting reading and some alternatives since that module is pricey....just my $.02

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52255.0

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:01:51 AM »

I just ordered one, but was told it might take a couple of weeks. Also, be aware that you need to buy the extra $85 cable if you want the ipod in the trunk!  Wasn't counting on that!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »

I just ordered one, but was told it might take a couple of weeks. Also, be aware that you need to buy the extra $85 cable if you want the ipod in the trunk!  Wasn't counting on that!

Hope you ordered from a 20% off dealer!

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »

Mine's sitting at home waiting to be installed this weekend.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »

Mine's sitting at home waiting to be installed this weekend.
What are the chances of getting you to scan the instructions and post them??   :)

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »

I actually got a pre-copy from the Dealership, but I won't have access to a scanner until tomorrow late.  Anything in particular you want to know I can look at for you?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:14:23 PM »

I'm just trying to get a good overview to figure out what I'm up against.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »

Not a bad install at all.  The hardest part was getting to an inner port in the 35 pin connector for the radio.  Basically, there are 5 dummy plugs in this connector.  You remove the dummy plugs, insert the wires from the interface, unplug another connector and hook the interface in between them, mount the unit, and you're done.  It took me about an hour because I had problems figuring out how to get the new pins in the plug correctly.  Once I RTFM, it was easy.

When the module is installed, you now get an iPod option on the screen, along with AM/FM Weather CD Intercom and CB.  Select iPod, and you can then use the soft keys on the radio to browse playlists, artists, albums or songs.  Works fine.  I think I may get the extension and move the iPod to the tour pack, that way I won't have to cut any holes, just use the existing ones.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »

Not a bad install at all.  The hardest part was getting to an inner port in the 35 pin connector for the radio.  Basically, there are 5 dummy plugs in this connector.  You remove the dummy plugs, insert the wires from the interface, unplug another connector and hook the interface in between them, mount the unit, and you're done.  It took me about an hour because I had problems figuring out how to get the new pins in the plug correctly.  Once I RTFM, it was easy.

When the module is installed, you now get an iPod option on the screen, along with AM/FM Weather CD Intercom and CB.  Select iPod, and you can then use the soft keys on the radio to browse playlists, artists, albums or songs.  Works fine.  I think I may get the extension and move the iPod to the tour pack, that way I won't have to cut any holes, just use the existing ones.

Does anyone know yet if this extension cable to reach tour pak or saddlebags has a disconnect in it to more easily allow removing bags or tour pak?

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »

It has a disconnect, but you'd have to have the disconnect located under the seat in order to remove it easily.  The install says drill a hole, install the cable through the hole, then install a grommet in the hole.

I don't believe the disconnect, which is the same one I have as the cable is nothing but an extension cable, is waterproof

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »

Where exactly does the unit mount? The concern I have is, with the 250w J&M amp, you have to remove the existing CB and XM modules, and mount those under the shelf. The amp is then mounted on top of the shelf where the CB & XM modules were.  So, if this new Ipod unit is to be mounted under the shelf, that's going to pose a conflict.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 01:05:58 PM »

It is made to mount where your XM was, next to the CB.  It says if you already have both units, there is an additional bracket that will allow it to be mounted on top of the 2, but in your case, I don't know wher you'd put it.  It's cabled to the bike, so you could put it anywhere it'd fit under the fairing.  It's about the same size as the CB module (I don't have the XM to se ehow big it is).

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »

Thanks man - I supposed I could loose the XM which I don't use anyway.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »

If you do, I'm sure you could sell the module here to someone.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 06:55:32 AM »

It has a disconnect, but you'd have to have the disconnect located under the seat in order to remove it easily.  The install says drill a hole, install the cable through the hole, then install a grommet in the hole.

I don't believe the disconnect, which is the same one I have as the cable is nothing but an extension cable, is waterproof
Steve my Ipod mod should get here on Tuesdays, I'm still trying with this stuff. So you need to have a extension cable also? Do you have that part number so I can order that ahead of time.

Trey

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »

You said "soft radio buttons".

I hope you can use the normal buttons at each hand grip. I can do almost the same as the act touch buttons now.

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »

You can use the normal handlebar switches, radio soft switches come in when you want to play a particular playlist, artist, genre, etc....  Just playing songs and skipping once you are in any of the above works with handlebar controls.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »

Steve my Ipod mod should get here on Tuesdays, I'm still trying with this stuff. So you need to have a extension cable also? Do you have that part number so I can order that ahead of time.

Trey

Extension not needed initially.  The cable is easily long enough to get to windshield bags.  If you choose to put the iPod elsewhere, like saddlebag (as they intended, which I think is stupid) or tourpack, you need the extension.  I am no longer home with the instructions, so I can't give you the number.  Any dealership should be able to pull it up.  It retails around $95.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »

You can use the normal handlebar switches, radio soft switches come in when you want to play a particular playlist, artist, genre, etc....  Just playing songs and skipping once you are in any of the above works with handlebar controls.

Steve, don't mean to  :beatdeadhorse: but I was under the impression that with the handlebar controls you could scroll through playlists, pick songs, etc, or just about anything you could do with the front iPod scroll wheel.  Also all the items shown on the iPod screen would show up on the HK main screen, albeit text only of course.

If I still have to use the soft touch HK radio buttons, it's not much better than what I have now.

Thanks for the input though.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »

The instructions state you can do that.  If you can, I can't figure it out.  I can skip songs with the handlebar controls, and everything does show on the screen....but to select a playlist and scroll through, looking for a particular song, for that I can only figure out how to do it with the radio soft buttons.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »

The instructions state you can do that.  If you can, I can't figure it out.  I can skip songs with the handlebar controls, and everything does show on the screen....but to select a playlist and scroll through, looking for a particular song, for that I can only figure out how to do it with the radio soft buttons.

Steve, thanks for the help.  As long as the instructions say you can do it all from the handlebar controls, I think I'm going to let loose with the money and get one on the way.

You don't by chance have the ability to post the instruction sheet do you?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »

Steve, thanks for the help.  As long as the instructions say you can do it all from the handlebar controls, I think I'm going to let loose with the money and get one on the way.

You don't by chance have the ability to post the instruction sheet do you?

Thanks.

I just got off the phone with Jenni at Tri-County HD in OH and they have these in stock.

She said that they've sold quite a few of these, but she has only played with them at the HD show in Vegas.  She said that you can do anything on the handlebars that you can do on the front iPod scroll wheel.

I should have mine by this weekend for an install on Saturday.

I'll let you all know how mine turns out and if I can figure out what buttons to push.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:15:58 PM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »

I don't have the instructions with me to scan, sorry.

Let me know how the install goes and if you can figure out how to use the handlebar controls for everything.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »

Boom! Audio™ iPod Interface

Available exclusively for models equipped with the Harley-Davidson® Advanced Audio System by Harman/Kardon. The Boom! Audio™ iPod interface allows you to access your iPod playlists, artists, songs, and albums while you keep your hands on the handlebar. At the touch of your fingertips, you can use the factory audio hand controls to scan through the iPod menus, and view the selections on the radio face. The module mounts directly to the radio, and is concealed inside the fairing for a clean look. Just plug in your iPod nano, iTouch, or iPhone device and hit the road. Kit includes a powered iPod cable that charges your player when it is connected to the system and the bike is turned on. The iPod can be remotely stored in the saddlebag with the separate purchase of P/N 90200002 and Cable P/N 72648-11.

76476-10

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '06-later FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTCUTG, FLHX, FLHXXX, FLTR, FLTRX, and FLTRU models equipped with an Advanced Audio radio. '06-later FLHX, FLTR, FLTRX, and FLHTC models and those not equipped with wiring harness P/N 70169-06 require the separate purchase of Connector Kit P/N 69200033.

MSRP US $399.95

Even with 20% off online that seems like a very steep price!  Think I'll just stick with my playlists! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »

Boom! Audio™ iPod Interface

Available exclusively for models equipped with the Harley-Davidson® Advanced Audio System by Harman/Kardon. The Boom! Audio™ iPod interface allows you to access your iPod playlists, artists, songs, and albums while you keep your hands on the handlebar. At the touch of your fingertips, you can use the factory audio hand controls to scan through the iPod menus, and view the selections on the radio face. The module mounts directly to the radio, and is concealed inside the fairing for a clean look. Just plug in your iPod nano, iTouch, or iPhone device and hit the road. Kit includes a powered iPod cable that charges your player when it is connected to the system and the bike is turned on. The iPod can be remotely stored in the saddlebag with the separate purchase of P/N 90200002 and Cable P/N 72648-11.

76476-10

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '06-later FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTCUTG, FLHX, FLHXXX, FLTR, FLTRX, and FLTRU models equipped with an Advanced Audio radio. '06-later FLHX, FLTR, FLTRX, and FLHTC models and those not equipped with wiring harness P/N 70169-06 require the separate purchase of Connector Kit P/N 69200033.

MSRP US $399.95

Even with 20% off online that seems like a very steep price!  Think I'll just stick with my playlists! 

Don't forget about the additional cable if you want to put it in your saddlebag. I think that's another $85!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »

I just got off the phone with Jenni at Tri-County HD in OH and they have these in stock.

She said that they've sold quite a few of these, but she has only played with them at the HD show in Vegas.  She said that you can do anything on the handlebars that you can do on the front iPod scroll wheel.

I should have mine by this weekend for an install on Saturday.

I'll let you all know how mine turns out and if I can figure out what buttons to push.

I ordered my iPod Interface Kit from Jenni on Wednesday this week and it arrived yesterday, Friday.

I will scan the instructions sometime this weekend and post them.

So far from the instructions it looks pretty simple.  If I can do it anyone can simple...

I'm really looking forward to being able to change a playlist while riding.  I setup to listen to, say 100 Elvis songs and by the time we hit 10 of them I'm bored and want to change out the playlist.

I think I do things a bit differently on my iTunes than most do.  Yes, I do have collections of songs, Guitar Rock of the '70s, Motown, Folk, '60s, '70s, Jukebox favorites of the '50s/'60s, etc. but I keep all my artist's greatest in playlists as well.  So I can do Elvis for a couple hundred songs, the Kinks for about 50 songs, the Beatles for about 300 songs, Jazz for a few hundred etc.

My problem now is that I have my iPod Classic loaded with about 95 gig of music (160 gig total) and about 300 playlists.  Since I did that I have dumped my old hard drive and put in two new 1T drives and keep all my music on the slave drive.  Now that I've reinstalled the new iTunes I have all my 85k songs, but no play lists.  I have to start all over again with the playlists.  Yes, there are "some" duplicate songs in my iTunes because I have lots of Greatest Hits that have the same song in them as the original album. 

I was thinking of getting the XM module from someone here, but even at a fair price along with the subscription, I felt at the time it wasn't worth it.  Now that we have the iPod interface and I have all the songs that I would have paid to listen to, the iPod interface was a better option for me

I'll post how it all went down at the end of the weekend.

Thanks to all here with the suggestions and information.
So I think the
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Bigdog6996

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »

I installed my iPod interface and nim this am and in went very easy. Followed the directions and everything worked fine.  Still trying to figure out the playlists from the handlebar controls, but all else works as stated.

Happy trails. :mango:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »

Well it's like this, with my '09 SERG I did NOT have the 35 pin plug that I believe the Classics, Ultras would have with the XM or CB or intercom would have.

When you read the info it's not real clear what you need to order to install this.

How do you know if your bike has the wiring harness P/N 70169-06?  It's obvious now that I do NOT have this harness on my bike.

It does say that if I have a FLTR that I would need to order the Connector Kit P/N 69200033.  It's only $19.95 and if I would have known this BEFORE I ordered my kit, I'd have ordered it with it.

The problem is that these are very new kits and if you ask the dealership, even Tri-County, they are not familiar enough to ask what bike this is going on and then suggest that you order the extra harness.

What I'm saying is that you do need this 35-pin connector kit to finish the install.  After reading the instructions and looking my bike over very good, I think this is the last item I'll need for the install.  Guess what, nobody is stocking these, even if they stock the iPod Interface kit, they do not have the connector harness, at least the dealerships locally in the St. Louis area.

I've scanned the instructions and they will be posted in the next four posts.

So after all this I still have to tear it back down for a second time and finish it up...

Page 1 of 5

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »

Page 2 of 5

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 10:35:06 PM »

Page 3 of 5

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 10:35:43 PM »

Page 4 of 5

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »

Page 5 of 5

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »

Does this 35 pin connector come on the 2010 SESG, I have looked in the manual and on the bike and it appears to be the right hand connector on the radio as you look at it from the front. If I am right, then I will need to order the connector.
Hawg

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »

The 35 pin connector and cable only come on models with a cb module.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »

Yes, what Steve said.

I'm not sure what else comes with the 35-pin connector kit, but something in extra wiring must also come with it.

I wish I had known this first so I could have ordered the kit at the same time.

:soapbox:   :soapbox:   :soapbox:

Now that I KNOW more about this, the descriptions in the tag line on the iPod Interface "what it fits info" make sense.  It would have been easier to say any HK Advanced Audio without CB will need to order 69200033 35-pin connector kit harness.

I mean, how do I know that I don't have this harness on my bike without the additional info in the instructions?  Even if I pulled off my nose to take a look, how do I know what P/N 70169-06 is?

They could have done a lot better job in "selling" this upgrade to the average guy.  I looked in my '08 Touring Electrical manual and it had no pictures, just troubleshooting and miscellaneous wiring schematics.

:beatdeadhorse:   :beatdeadhorse:   :beatdeadhorse:
If you look inside the connector on the rear of the radio, front of bike, the rows are numbered starting left to right at the top with pin 1, second row pin 13 and bottom row with pin 24.  I took the five "extra" wires on the iPod Interface cable and counted out the pins and pushed them onto the the correct ones as though they were installed in the connector.  I still got zilch for function.  Some of the other 6B or 275B must also hook up on wiring that I don't have.

Steve, I'm glad yours went well for you.

I've read the instructions, but I must be having a brain fart...  What is "NIM"?

Thanks to all here.  I have some install pictures that I'll show later when I have some time to post them.

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »

Good news - For me at least.   ;D

Still waiting to hear if the hand control have full functionality before I pull the trigger.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:04:11 AM by mrmagloo »

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 01:24:38 PM »

Navigation interface module.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »

I tried to pick up one of the 35-pin connector kits on Saturday and no one locally had one.  I called my local dealer yesterday to order one and he told me they were on backorder from HD.  I said forget the order and I'll get one elsewhere.  I thought that Tri-County (Jenni) would have one.  My parts guy said wait a minute, let's check the state availability and it came up empty, no one in Missouri stocked them.  He then check national and came up empty for every dealer in the US.

So I kept the order with him as the 20% and tax on a $20 part is not a big deal.

It seems that there might be more people upgrading to the new iPod Interface module that didn't have CB or navigation that comes on the more decked out Electra Glides.  I know for a fact that RG's need the 35-pin connector kit and I would assume that any SG would need it as well.

The only thing that got me was that I have to take the front off my SERG one more time.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:35 AM »

Does anyone know if this will help with audio loss that is experienced through the front AUX.  I have noticed that there is quite a difference between the max volume of a CD vs. my Ipod.  I have played with the volume on the Ipod but it is still not as loud as a CD. 

Just wondering,

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »

Does anyone know if this will help with audio loss that is experienced through the front AUX.  I have noticed that there is quite a difference between the max volume of a CD vs. my Ipod.  I have played with the volume on the Ipod but it is still not as loud as a CD. 

Just wondering,

Topper
My ipod's levels are fine - Could very well be the recorded levels of the songs on the ipod itself.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »

Just wondering,

Topper

Topper,

I have been playing my iPod through the AUX jack all the time.  I do play some mp3 discs from time to time and a couple CD's, but my iPod and the CD player seem to be at about the same volume level.

What I have always had is the radio is a lot lower volume than the AUX and CD player.  I have always had to crank up the volume on the radio and it's never EVER been as crisp and clear as the CD or AUX with the iPod.

In my car or truck I have no "differences" like I do on the SERG.

This doesn't answer your question, but it does give you another observation.

Good luck.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2010, 10:45:15 PM »

Ah... I forgot about the recording levels.  You may be right!  Thanks for the input guys.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 11:57:39 PM »

For those who may want to add a tour pak with HD speaker pods with passenger controls, or add CB or XM in the future, the 70169-06 non-Ultra Overlay harness may be a better choice than the I-pod interface specific harness that is in short supply currently.  The NUOH has the 35-wire connector that the Ultra has, but has connectors for adding the harnesses from the CB and XM modules, as well as the rider headset, passenger headset, and rear speaker wirng/passenger controls.  Haven't seen the I-pod specific harness so I don't know if it has provision for these accessories.

On an Ultra installation, the 35-wire connector has five unused pin-outs that have seal pins in the chambers; these are removed and replaced with wires for the I-pod interface module harness.  I haven't pulled the outer fairing to check my NUOH, but it likely has the same seal pins as the Ultra connector.

HD could do a far better job on fitment descriptions.  As for the 70169-06 harness, it's on HD's website under the Electronics/Audio tab, but says nothing about its use with the I-pod interface accessory--go figure.

Carl

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »

Subscribed
Ride safe

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »

Is there anything special about that cable? someone has to make it for them and if its nothing special maybe can find it for a 20 or so.
TJ

captain_jeb

• Junior CVO Member
  • Hunne B

• CVO1: 2012 Citrin
    • CVO2: 2010.5 Crimson mist/Dark slate
    • CVO3: 2007 SE2 Midnight Blue/Blue Pearl
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »

Was told it was an Apple cable. So it may be available elsewhere.
Klock Werks 8.5
Fullsac cores, 2"
SE Pro super tuner
Custom dynamics LED turn lights and smoke lay down tail light
No good deed goes unpunished!

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »

Was told it was an Apple cable. So it may be available elsewhere.
Try these guys. http://www.ramelectronics.net/  They have a lot of cables.
TJ

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:28 PM »

Sorry guys, it's a special cable. The kit includes a cable that has a round plug on one end to plug into the module. The other end is typical iPod. The $85 cable is gonna be an extension, round connectors on both ends.

Snurrebakken

• FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: -07 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: -09 FLHTCUSE4
    • My home Page
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »

Has anyone tried a iPhone on this adapter? Does it work the same way as for the IPod før the song, playlist etc with the handlebars??
In my BMW 5series the IPod adapter only works før the IPod NOT with the iPhone.

Svein Arild

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »

I plugged my iPhone 4 in just to try. Came up with the warning that it needed to be in airplane mode, but other than that, seemed to work fine.

Snurrebakken

• FLHRSEI.ORG

• My home Page
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »

I plugged my iPhone 4 in just to try. Came up with the warning that it needed to be in airplane mode, but other than that, seemed to work fine.

Did you test the handlebar switches with the iPhone connected? Could you controll the playlist etc. with the button's on the radio and on the handlebars?

Svein arild

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »

Yup, worked just like my nano

Snurrebakken

• FLHRSEI.ORG

• My home Page
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »

Yup, worked just like my nano

Thanks! Then I will go for it! Great!

Svein Arild

Bigdog6996

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »

Strange thing happened tonight. Had my IPhone4 plugged into the IPod interface. Made a short coffee stop without disconnecting IPhone. When I started out again the Iphone wouldn't play over the HK stereo. It would display the songs etc. But no sound through headset or speakers. Radio worked just fine. Any thoughts?

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 09:46:24 PM »

Mine is on order, they said they are back ordered.  Looking forward to getting it.  Saw how it worked on a buddys CVO Street Glide and it is cool.
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »

I ordered mine on Monday the 4th.  Just got word that HD has them back ordered to Oct. 25.    :'(
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »

Mine was shipped today so I hope to be doing the install soon.  I bought the cable to run the connector into the right saddlebag.  Does this require fuel tank removal to facilitate routing the cable?
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2010, 10:31:22 PM »

You can do it just raising the tank, but you do have to do one or the other.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2010, 08:08:15 PM »

Did everyone use the Harley grommet (P/N 12100001) for the pass thru to the saddlebag?  If so, what does it look like?  My dealer doesn't stock it (surprise!!) and I don't want to order a $2 part if I can find it at a hardware store...
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Scarlett Red Pearl & Dark Slate
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »

I have a 2010 cvo ultra and just received the I pod interface. I spent the last  3 hours trying to figure out where the 6 way conectors 6a and 6b mate from the iPod harness fit into. The instructions say mate to 6b on the vehicle interconnect harness and 6a on the vehicle audio harness. I cant find any connectors that will accept these. There are no other harnesses listed as needed for my model. My bike has the 35 pin connector and comes stock with xm,navigation and cb radio. Has anyone done this install on an ultra or cvo ultra. Called my dealer they no nothing as usual. Any help with instructions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. 

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2010, 07:03:57 AM »

I have a 2010 cvo ultra and just received the I pod interface. I spent the last  3 hours trying to figure out where the 6 way conectors 6a and 6b mate from the iPod harness fit into. The instructions say mate to 6b on the vehicle interconnect harness and 6a on the vehicle audio harness. I cant find any connectors that will accept these. There are no other harnesses listed as needed for my model. My bike has the 35 pin connector and comes stock with xm,navigation and cb radio. Has anyone done this install on an ultra or cvo ultra. Called my dealer they no nothing as usual. Any help with instructions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. 

It sounds like you already have the harness you are trying to connect on the bike. Looking at the back of the radio the harness you are tyring to connect is on the right side of the radio. If you have all those extras already then the harness is there. I don't know what the instructions say after the installation of the harness.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

You are looking for an assembled connection that has the male and female connectors plugged together; you'll need to separate them to install the harness with the ipod module.

The connectors are six-wire connectors, black in color.  They probably have only four wires in them:  black/green; red/orange; blue/yellow; and, violet/gray colors.

The connectors will be close to the radio side or bottom, depending on how the larger harness was arranged.  What you are looking for is there.

Suggestion:  If you don't have one already, buy the HD Service Manual supplement for your bike; it has wiring diagrams identifying the multitude of electrical connections, wire colors, and locations.

Good luck with your search.

Carl

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2010, 10:57:38 AM »

Found the connector on my bike on the lft side of the radio ( as your sitting on the bike ) between the radio and the fairing bracket . kind of stuffed, pushed back , and hid in the dark. Finding the connector was the hardest part of the install .

CVOIRA

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »

Guys,

I really appreciate your responses. I am at work now so I won't be able to start my hunt for the harness again until late tonight. This has been driving me crazy since yesterday. Once I start something and have a problem I can't get it out of my head. I attached a picture of the inner fairing showing the ipod interface and the harness.

Ira

CVOIRA

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »

one other question

The instructions say

if a NIM (navigation interface Module) took me a while to figure what that stood for is also installed, they say follow the instructions for detail mounting and electrical connections. Well my bike already has navigation so that is already installed.

If a NIM is not installed, insert the cavity seal plugs into the loose six way housing from the kit.

Does this mean I have to find the navigation harness as well and attach it to the ipod interface with the six way housing connector that stands alone on the ipod harness as you see in the picture above??

I am going to take your sugestion and get the service manual for the bike.

Again, your help is much appreciated. Thanks Guys !!!!!! :)

Ira

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 03:00:53 PM »

CVOIRA:
I believe the NIM is different from the nav system module in the HK radio.  The NIM replaces the nav system and allows other nav systems to integrate with the HK radio.  On my 09 with the HK nav system, I used the seal plugs to terminate the plug and left it hanging.  Everything works just fine.

Also, I initially installed my iPod interface module straddling the CB and XM radio modules just like you have in your picture.  However, the fairing cap would not fit back on easily because the back of the iPod interface module rubs on the inner fairing cap.  To remedy the problem I turned the iPod interface module sideways and laid it across the other two modules - pushed as far forward as I could get it - with the plugs coming out on the left side  (as you are facing the front of the motorcycle.)  That did the the trick.  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:04:22 PM by fourstar »
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »

Thanks for the mounting and NIM tip. That will save me alot of time. Where did you find your harness on the radio to connect the I pod harness connectors?
I ordered the Saddlebag gromets to fill the hole in the saddlebags. Didn't even show you needed that part in the catalog.
Did you use Harley part number 76436-06 )Dual-Lock Mounts when mounting the i-pod sideways to the radio? If not what did you use? 

Thanks

Ira

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »

The connector for mine was on the right side (when facing the front of the motorcycle) just next to and above the radio.  My plug is a little confusing because one side has wire colors that match the wires on the plugs on the iPod harness, but the other side of the plug has several white wires coming out of it.  

The dual lock connectors are 3M products.   I found them at Target, I think they were with the Velcro stuff.  I hear they also sell them at Radio Shack.  

Can you post a picture of the grommet so I can see what I need to look for?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:20:45 PM by fourstar »
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »

Wish I could post a picture but they didn't come in yet. Backordered should have beginning of next week. I will post a picture as soon as I get it.   So it's basically velcro holding the module to the top of the radio. Amazing they couldn't include that in the kit. I might just run to target and pick up some velcro so I can finish instead of waiting for that part.
Are you using an I phone, I touch or I pod?  Hope this is all worth it. How do you like the operation so far. Thanks again for your help.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2010, 07:20:14 PM »

It's actually a little more sophisticated than velcro but yes, same concept.  I misspoke earlier, it is a 3M product.  If you Google images for "Dual Lock" you'll see what it looks like.

I like the interface.  I only use it with a Nano, but it works very well.  Much better than my previous set up.  It was worth the time and money to me. 
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »

Found the harness and mated the connectors. So far so good I tried the I phone quick and it seems to be working fine. Next running the extension cable to the right saddle bag. Can anyone give advise the best route to take and the procedure they used? Looks like under the fuel tank. Does it have to be removed or just lose to get the cable under it? Thanks   

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »

I took the tank off and ran the cable inside the plastic cable channel over the backbone of the frame.  It isn't necessary to put it in the channel and it is kind of a tight fit, so running it alongside one of the other cables outside of the plastic channel will work too.  Removing the tank involves pulling the fuel pump fuse, starting the bike and letting it run until it dies, then remove the fuel line by sliding the chrome collar up and letting the valve release.  Take off the console and rest it on a towel on the rear fender.  Remove the two bolts at the front of the tank and the two bolts at the rear of the tank and lift the tank off.  You can probably unbolt the tank and tip it up but I wanted to be able to route the cable cleanly and secure it.
Make sure you leave enough slack on the fairing end of the cable to allow the forks to turn without pulling it.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:48:51 PM by fourstar »
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2010, 12:30:25 AM »

Thanks again for the tip. Sounds like a weekend job that I will try and tackle this weekend. Once again things for writing back and all your help. I will let you know what happens.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »

Has anyone considered running the cable OVER the tank, under the console? Much easier, and provides heat resistance confidence as well.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »

Has anyone considered running the cable OVER the tank, under the console? Much easier, and provides heat resistance confidence as well.

You just caused me one of the "DOH!" moments.  Never even thought about it.  There is a gap at the front of the console and it looks like the cable would fit thru it. 
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »

Can you reach the console from underneath with just lifting the tank a little without having to remove it?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »

Why would you have to move the tank? Just unbolt the screws for the console, and lift. That how I pan to run my air line that I am similarly concerned about the heat.

CVOIRA

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2010, 06:05:52 PM »

The chrome console doesn't go down to the end of the tank on my bike. You will see 2 inches of black cable before it hides under the chrome. Is this the way you are explaining or am I missing something. Thanks for your help. 

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:11 PM »

The chrome console doesn't go down to the end of the tank on my bike. You will see 2 inches of black cable before it hides under the chrome. Is this the way you are explaining or am I missing something. Thanks for your help. 
On the Ultras, the console goes all the way to the seat - well there is a small gap, but there are already wiring harnesses on both sides that you can see so what's another? Not sure what model you are referring to, but the ipod thing is only applicable to bikes with the HD radio, and I believe all bat winged bikes at least had the full lenght console? Not sure about the RG, but what do you have??

CVOIRA

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »

I have a 2010 ultra cvo. It's the front of the chrome console that doesn't go to the end of the tank. You see 2 inches of cable leading up to the chrome from the frame. Maybe I am missing something. Thanks for your patients.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »

Grab the front edge of the seat and just lift a bit and you will see two or three harnesses going toward the battery from under the console. Additionally, if you look on the front of the console, you will see on both sides of the frame backbone, some of those same harnesses going forward to the fairing. Simply, route the cable next to one of the harnesses going from the fairing to under the seat on top of the tank and under the console. To see the harnesses coming out from under the console up front, turn the handle bars to open things up a bit. Pretty straight forward.

CVOIRA

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »

Here are some pictures of what I did temporarly to run the cable as you suggested under the console instead of under the tank. Is this the way you were talking about?

CVOIRA

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2010, 02:05:49 PM »

another picture routing the ipod cable under the console

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »

Yes, that's the idea, but weren't there other harnesses going through there already? Mine has three, two that were stock and one that was run for my dash switch for the Legend air shocks.

CVOIRA

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2010, 03:24:40 PM »

There is no harness running from the frame up to the console. All the harnesses run under the tank.  The i-pod cable that I ran stands alone like you see in the picture. Would you leave it like that or would you run it under the tank?
What kind of bike do you have? Thanks again for trying to help me.

Ira

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2010, 04:21:59 PM »

'06 SEUC. Seems very weird because you should at least have some wiring I would think for the CB connector?  I don't know, but like I said, I have three harnesses running under the console from fron to rear, and I think that's certainly easier than lifting the tank. I'll have to look at my buddies '11. Good thing is, it's done, right? Keep tabs on it and switch it if you run into an issue. Just watch for chaffing.

CVOIRA

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »

It was a great idea you had but I don't think I feel comfortable leaving it as a stand alone cable in that area with no harness. I will give it some more thought. Thanks again for all your help.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »

CVOIRA
My 09 is like yours, no wires running up into the front gap on the console.  I don't see any harm in running it that way, especially since earlier models were using that as a wire routing method.  It's just a matter of personal preference.  If you don't like the look and don't mind removing the tank to route it, go for it. 
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »

CVOIRA
My 09 is like yours, no wires running up into the front gap on the console.  I don't see any harm in running it that way, especially since earlier models were using that as a wire routing method.  It's just a matter of personal preference.  If you don't like the look and don't mind removing the tank to route it, go for it. 
Well exactly that. Imho, it's definitely better protected from the heat, absolutely much easier, so why not? However, you do have to make sure the console still has a channel so the wires don't get pinched. Once that's confirmed, it seems to be the ideal solution - At least it is to me.  BTW, isn't the CB connector still on the console? I thought so, which means there has to be some wiring routed under there. Perhaps on the left side??

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2010, 01:00:47 PM »

On my 09 the com connector is on the center of the console, but the wiring comes up from the seat side along with the fuel tank vent line and the fuel pump/gauge wires.
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »

I decided to run the cable under the tank. It was bothering me looking at the cable in front of the bright red tank. Maybe if the tank was black I would have left it. It really was pretty easy removing the tank and running it through the top frame harness. No gas had to be removed which was great.  It was a great idea to run the cable under the console just not for my situation.

I did receive the Harley saddle bag grommet which goes where the hole was drilled for the ipod wire. Does anyone still need to see a picture of it? 

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2010, 11:35:12 PM »

I did receive the Harley saddle bag grommet which goes where the hole was drilled for the ipod wire. Does anyone still need to see a picture of it?    

If it's not too much trouble to post, I'd like to see it.  I broke down and ordered one from the local dealer. No telling how long it will take to get here.  I'm running with duct tape for now.  
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »

Here are the pictures of the gromet.

CVOIRA

« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »

No problem at all !!

Here are pictures of the grommet.

Ira

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2010, 11:31:03 PM »

Thanks!  Dealer called this morning and said mine was in already. 
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2010, 12:18:40 AM »

That's good. How has the iPod been working? Do you have the Hk interface that was released this year. Saw a lot of tAlk about it on another thread? Some issues if you had the iPod interface and the radio interface.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:19 AM »

I haven't uploaded the latest software update, if that's what you're referring to.  The iPod works well, although it seems to hang sometimes after I shut off the ignition and then restart it.  Also, it doesn't work as well with the navigation module as the XM interface does in that the compass does not display and the split screen feature doesn't seem to be there.  
I still like the convenience, especially not having to remember to shut the iPod off when I stop, and the fact that the iPod battery is always charged.  
Do you have a link to that thread?  I didn't see it...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:29:58 AM by fourstar »
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »

I had the dealership put mine in this week, on my way now to pick her up. I will let you guys know how it works.  :orange:
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

CVOIRA

« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2010, 10:02:58 AM »

This is the thread I was talking about.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52242.0

Did anyone recently install both iPod and road tech navigation interface modules with the road tech 660 or 665? I was hoping someone could give me some feedback of the compatibility and function.  I currently own an older zumo 550 which I  know won't work with the new nave mod.   

Bigdog6996

« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »

This is the thread I was talking about.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52242.0

Did anyone recently install both iPod and road tech navigation interface modules with the road tech 660 or 665? I was hoping someone could give me some feedback of the compatibility and function.  I currently own an older zumo 550 which I  know won't work with the new nave mod.   
I installed both the ipod interface and NIM and they work well together.  I did the install at the same time so it was fairly straightforward.  As you mentioned earlier, I also ran under the tank to keep the clean look.  I hate seeing messy wires all over the place!

CVOIRA

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »

Thanks for your input. Which nav unit do you have and how did you mount it? Some have been using the dash mount that came with the late released 2010 BLACK FLHTCUSE5B CVO. You can't buy it has a kit but the parts can be bought separate. Gives a nice clean look.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2010, 09:29:03 AM »

Does anybody know if the ipod interface will work with the ipod classic?
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2010, 09:33:30 AM »

What does the dealer charge to install the ipod interface/
IBA #63514

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2010, 09:36:35 AM »

I have not actually tried the classic,  but, I am sure that it would work.  The issue is that the classic has a real hardisk as apposed to flash memory.  You would not want to use anything with a hard disk on a harley.  It would crash and lose data often, if not completely ruin it.

I attempted to use a navigation device several years back with hard disk (alpine blackbird) and experanced that disk crash first hand.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:40:12 AM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »

Thanks for the reply.
IBA #63514

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2010, 12:38:05 PM »

I've used my GenIII 40 gig and my 160 gig Classic and both worked well with the iPod Interface Module.  The only problem I had with my 160 gig Classic is that about every song it would stop, or hesitate, for about 3 seconds about a minute from the end of the song.  It would start back up without any intervention on my part.  I had issues with this particular Classic even in my car so it's probably not the bike application as the problem.

I did buy one of the new 16 gig Mini Nano's to use and it's been working great; not hesitation at the end of any song.

I understand the warning from HD about the hard drive of the Classic model, but the hard drive only runs about every 4th song or so to buffer up so many megs and then stops turning.  I can see that a VERY hard bump "could" affect the hard drive physically though.

If you're going to do a LOT of riding with the iPod, I would recommend a solid state memory Nano just as a precaution.  8 gig for about $145 and the 16 gig about $170 on sale.  I also do a lot different playlists for the bike than i do when I have the option of spinning the click wheel to do my searches.  I have about 300 playlists on my 160 gig as it's easier to do the Best Of for my more listened to artists than to do a search by artist or search by album.

Enjoy your new iPod Interface Module.  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

mlb3164

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: Wanna be CVO 2010 FLHX 120R
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2010, 09:48:19 PM »

Ok what am I missing. I am trying to install the Ipod interface on a 2010 Street Glide with the standard radio. I have everything hooked up but cannot for the life of me find the other half of the interconnect harness or the audio harness. I found a female six pin plug tucked behind the speedo but not the other side. It was plugged into NOTHING!!! Any help will be appreciated.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »

Ok what am I missing. I am trying to install the Ipod interface on a 2010 Street Glide with the standard radio. I have everything hooked up but cannot for the life of me find the other half of the interconnect harness or the audio harness. I found a female six pin plug tucked behind the speedo but not the other side. It was plugged into NOTHING!!! Any help will be appreciated.

Do you have the 35 pin "extra" harness?  I thought I had everything until I took the fairing off and found that I was missing this 35 pin cable kit.  I think it was about $20, but without it your up a creek.  Apparently that harness comes with either XM or Nav on the Ultra's, but on Road Glides and Street Glides without the extra radio features, you need this 35 pin plug/harness kit.

As you're looking at the radio from the front of the bike, at least on my '09 SERG, this 35 pin harness would go in the empty plug on the rear of the radio.  I ordered the harness and it went in great.  Just make sure that you have the revised September installation instructions as they have the correct pin location for 19 and 31 in the 35 pin connector.

Good luck with your install.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2010, 11:41:29 AM »

The harness with the 35 pin connector on it is the Non Ultra Overlay Harness with retails for $129. Part Number  70169-06

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »

The harness with the 35 pin connector on it is the Non Ultra Overlay Harness with retails for $129. Part Number  70169-06

On my '09 SERG I only had to buy the plug kit for around $20 and not the overlay harness.  I still had one end of the 6-pin harness unused when completed.

I believe the Street Glide and my bike to be about the same with radio options, or the lack there of, no NAV, COM, or XM.

Here is a picture of the 35 pin plug and harness I had to buy.  It's only the plug with a two wire set about 18" long.  Not a $130 overlay cable.  I don't have the part number here at work, but I'm sure someone will be able to supply it today.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »

On my '09 SERG I only had to buy the plug kit for around $20 and not the overlay harness.  I still had one end of the 6-pin harness unused when completed.

I believe the Street Glide and my bike to be about the same with radio options, or the lack there of, no NAV, COM, or XM.

Here is a picture of the 35 pin plug and harness I had to buy.  It's only the plug with a two wire set about 18" long.  Not a $130 overlay cable.  I don't have the part number here at work, but I'm sure someone will be able to supply it today.

May be worth taking the outer fairing off to have a look before buying anything...

mlb3164

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2010, 01:34:20 PM »

Do you have the 35 pin "extra" harness?  I thought I had everything until I took the fairing off and found that I was missing this 35 pin cable kit.  I think it was about $20, but without it your up a creek.  Apparently that harness comes with either XM or Nav on the Ultra's, but on Road Glides and Street Glides without the extra radio features, you need this 35 pin plug/harness kit.

As you're looking at the radio from the front of the bike, at least on my '09 SERG, this 35 pin harness would go in the empty plug on the rear of the radio.  I ordered the harness and it went in great.  Just make sure that you have the revised September installation instructions as they have the correct pin location for 19 and 31 in the 35 pin connector.

Good luck with your install.

Yes I purchased the kit with the 35 pin connector and have this installed with the correct pin locations. What I am missing is where it says in the instructions to connect 6A and 6B to the connectors on the bike I only have one of those connectors. It was tucked up near the speedo with nothing else plugged to it. I am baffled.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2010, 05:40:38 PM »

Yes I purchased the kit with the 35 pin connector and have this installed with the correct pin locations. What I am missing is where it says in the instructions to connect 6A and 6B to the connectors on the bike I only have one of those connectors. It was tucked up near the speedo with nothing else plugged to it. I am baffled.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I used the iPod Interface wiring to hook up to one of the #6 plugs and the other end stayed unused and just tucked it back into the harness with cable ties.  So don't be alarmed if you cannot find everything there as without some of the other options, XM, NAV etc, there may not be another plug to plug into.

The instructions are not very well written if you don't understand what you're working with, I sure didn't.  Other than the 35 pin connector kit I had to get for the second go around, it all fell into place eventually.

Good luck.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

shenengr

« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »

If you didn't get the NUOH.... Non Ultra Overlay Harness.... you need it.  $129  list.  Just did this to my 2011 SESG2 and was looking at the wiring diagrams for your bike.... You need the overlay harness

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »

shenengr, not sure why you say the NUOH is required when the ipod installation instructions say the ipod/navigation connector, p/n 69200033, can be used if the bike doesn't have an NUOH.  Here are the instructions for the 69200033 and show how it takes the place of the NUOH in providing the necessary connection between the 35 wire connector on the HK radio and the ipod harness:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05181.pdf

If you did the installation, how did you create the 6B connector needed for the NUOH "interconnect" connector 6A?
The lack of the 6B connector is a primary reason for HD saying the XM, NIM, and other accessories won't fit the SESG2?

Carl

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:16:41 AM by Harleypingman »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2010, 05:20:27 PM »

If you didn't get the NUOH.... Non Ultra Overlay Harness.... you need it.  $129  list.  Just did this to my 2011 SESG2 and was looking at the wiring diagrams for your bike.... You need the overlay harness

I believe that the '09 SERG and the SESG1's and 2's use the same radio without all the XM, NAV and COM etc.  All I bought was the iPod Interface Module from Jenni at 20% off and then when I found out I needed the 35-pin connector cheap kit, I ordered that from my local dealer as the shipping from Jenni would be more than the 20% discount and tax.

I used "just" the cheap 35-pin connector with the mini 2 wire harness and even with the reversed two wires in the 35-pin plug, the iPod worked the way it was supposed to.  When I switched the two wires, the sound was now centered and both speakers worked just as though I had my iPod in the AUX jack.

There may be some difference between fixed and batwing fairing bikes, but if the radio options are the same, lack of anything but the radio, it "should" work with the mini 35-pin kit and without the $129 cable set.

I could be wrong, but it worked for me without an extra $100.00.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2010, 11:05:18 PM »

shenengr, not sure why you say the NUOH is required when the ipod installation instructions say the ipod/navigation connector, p/n 69200033, can be used if the bike doesn't have an NUOH.  Here are the instructions for the 69200033 and show how it takes the place of the NUOH in providing the necessary connection between the 35 wire connector on the HK radio and the ipod harness:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05181.pd

If you did the installation, how did you create the 6B connector needed for the NUOH "interconnect" connector 6A?
The lack of the 6B connector is a primary reason for HD saying the XM, NIM, and other accessories won't fit the SESG2?

Carl

The link didn't work fro me, would you have another link?
Hawg

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2010, 11:13:06 PM »

The link didn't work fro me, would you have another link?

He lopped the "f" off of pdf.  Try this: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05181.pdf
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2010, 01:53:36 AM »

You've identified a mistake in the installation instructions.  That plug you found is connector 6B and does not have a mating connector, 6A, on FLHX, FLHT, FLHTC, FLTR, and FLTRX models as delivered by the factory.  So there is no connector 6 to separate per the instructions.  You should connect the mating 6A connector from the harness included in your kit to that 6B connector you found.  The unused 6B connector of the harness from the kit you have should be capped/unused.

Carl

mlb3164

« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »

Guys I am such an IDIOT!!! I bought the Connector Kit P/N 69200033 and hooked the wires per the instructions to the 35 pin connector but for some reason just disregarded the two wire jumper that came with it. This connects to pin 13 and 14 on the 35 pin connector and the other two connect to pins 5 and 6 on the connector I found on the bike. Once all hooked up it works like a charm. I guess it pays to read the instructions CAREFULLY!!! Thanks

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2010, 12:56:56 AM »

What does the dealer charge to install the ipod interface/

Mine installed it for an hour labor $82, but I was the first one they did. Picking up the bike this Thursday, will let everyone know how it works....
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »

Guys I am such an IDIOT!!! I bought the Connector Kit P/N 69200033 and hooked the wires per the instructions to the 35 pin connector but for some reason just disregarded the two wire jumper that came with it. This connects to pin 13 and 14 on the 35 pin connector and the other two connect to pins 5 and 6 on the connector I found on the bike. Once all hooked up it works like a charm. I guess it pays to read the instructions CAREFULLY!!! Thanks

My SERG3 has an Xm and the 35pin connector so I ended up not using the 69200033 connector kit. I already have a yellow orange wire in hole #13 on the 35pin connector and a yellow orange wire in the #4 hole of interconnect harness plug, when I check the two plugs for contenuity they appear to be connected. Same goes for the yellow violet in hole # 14 and # 5. My overlay harness is 70169-06 with an Ultra Radio label on it. I assume I do not require the use of 69200033?

I also assume the reason I had this 35 pin connector and Ultra Overlay Harness is because the dealer put it on when they installed the Xm at time of purchase?

Any confirmation or info would help from you guys who are familiar with this Ipod install.
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2011, 11:35:01 PM »

Correct; you don't use the 69200033 since you already have the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06. 

Carl

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »

I continue to be amazed at the amount of information available and shared on CVOHarley.com

I have a question related to the install of the iPod Interface Module. I would like to locate the iPOD in the right saddlebag. It's an option that is addressed in the iPod Interface Module installation sheet.

Question: Does IPOD SADDLEBAG MOUNT KIT (76000143) contain the following parts?

1. SADDLEBAG LID TETHER (90200002)
2. INTERMEDIATE IPOD CABLE (72648-11)

I have found that you are able to purchase items 1 & 2 listed above seperately but I am unclear as to whether those 2 items together comprise the whole of the IPOD SADDLEBAG MOUNT KIT.

Thanks in advance,

Simon, aka DesertHOG

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »

Item 2 is merely an extension cable to allow you to relocate the end of the cable wherever you want (mine is in the tourpack).  Item 1 is a replacement tether for your saddlebag (I believe) that has a pouch for the nano.  It should work on either side.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »

Item 2 is merely an extension cable to allow you to relocate the end of the cable wherever you want (mine is in the tourpack).  Item 1 is a replacement tether for your saddlebag (I believe) that has a pouch for the nano.  It should work on either side.

Okay, let me word this another way. Exactly what parts to I need in addition to the iPOD Interface Module and the 3 wire assembly, since I don't have a CB with my radio - in order to relocate the iPod to the saddlebag like on my CVO Ultra. (Doing this on a plan jane FLTR).

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »

Definitely the cable.  The other piece is needed if you want the pouch for your saddlebag.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »

Definitely the cable.  The other piece is needed if you want the pouch for your saddlebag.

So we established the cable and the pouch. Now we just need to know if the kit listed above those two parts, actually contains those two parts.

Restated: Does 76000143 = 90200002 and 72648-11

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2011, 09:18:09 PM »

LOL....ok, I totally misread the question.....I answered correctly, just not to the right question  ;-)

EGL3

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: FLTRSE3
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »

Just received my saddlebag mount kit. Here is what is in the kit. The clips hold the wire along the inside of the saddlebag, so it doesn't get in the way. I had been looking everywhere for the part number for the clips. My local dealer couldn't even find it. But they where already in the kit and the part number is on the instruction sheet.

Ipod tether - # 90200002
Ipod cable - # 72648-11
Strain Relief Grommet - # 12100001
Adhesive Black Wire Clips - # 10325

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »

Just received my saddlebag mount kit. Here is what is in the kit. The clips hold the wire along the inside of the saddlebag, so it doesn't get in the way. I had been looking everywhere for the part number for the clips. My local dealer couldn't even find it. But they where already in the kit and the part number is on the instruction sheet.

Ipod tether - # 90200002
Ipod cable - # 72648-11
Strain Relief Grommet - # 12100001
Adhesive Black Wire Clips - # 10325

Thanks for confirmation of what I suspected. My kit is on order as of two days ago.

Simon

tdauphin

« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »

My kit will be here tomorrow thanks for all the info.I hope my install goes well

tdauphin

« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »

I ordered one and paid 265 free shipping.Installing it this weekend

chipsabiker

• CVO1: 2015 Street Glide Blue/Lava
    • CVO2: 2009 Road Glide Orange (sold)
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »

I did the install this evening on my 09 SERG.  I followed the instructions to a the letter. I used the 2 wire connector from Harley #69200033. When I tried things out I got nothing, no Ipod was displays on radio, no sound, no nothing. Can anybody help

RussG69

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 #216
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »

I did the install this evening on my 09 SERG.  I followed the instructions to a the letter. I used the 2 wire connector from Harley #69200033. When I tried things out I got nothing, no Ipod was displays on radio, no sound, no nothing. Can anybody help

Have you updated the software on your deck? I had to do that on my 09 SG then it worked perfectly. I'll try and find the link to the updates. it was way simple.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Genuine_Motor_Accessories/advanced-audio-system.html

Russ
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:57:07 PM by RussG69 »

Philip

• CVO1: 2017 Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2010 Street Glide
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »

Just ordered all the parts for the CVO. Below is the parts needed for the iPod install on a Street Glide. You can source these through: http://www.cyclepartsforless.com/

76476-10 Ipod Intergration Kit: $331.56

69200033 Connector Seal Pin Kit :$16.54

76000143 Cable, Grommet & Tether for RT Saddle Bag: $107.73
FREE SHIPPING! Saved huge over local H-D.
Thanks for all the earlier posts. They really helped.
2017 CVO Street Glide (Current)
2015 CVO Street Glide
2010 CVO Street Glide
2009 Softail Rocker
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 21 queries.