Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: 2011 Street Glide Wind Buffeting  (Read 20878 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: 2011 Street Glide Wind Buffeting
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 06:28:26 PM »

Tried all sizes of screens but this gadget made the biggest difference in buffeting.  Best $20 I ever spent on the street glide.....

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441845999&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309408049&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309408049&locale=en_US&bmUID=1305927794350&bmLocale=en_US

This has been a part that you can buy for years through HD parts etc.  The '09 SERG came standard with one already installed.  Only they are black and not chrome.

The guy above said that he took his off in real hot weather to better cool the motor.  If the MOCO installed it as standard, I don't think they intended that it be removed based on ambient temperature.  I'm not sure though that it makes any difference.  On the RG's you can add a deflector that uses the front tank mounts for the upper locater and then the bottom snaps over the crash bar.  I'm thinking that they will not fit with the batwing fairing though.  Some have added them to their RG's and said it made no difference, but for the $30 I think it helped on my ride.  You may want to take a look at the '11 SEURG and see if they would fit a EG type fairing and crash bar.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »

Yeah, I agree Russ 'cause that's where most of the air comes from that buffets you helmet. As someone stated earlier up over the tank.  You can hold your hand and tell that's the deal.   My only question is whether you noticed any reduction in motor cooling?  spyder

Spyder......I haven't noticed any temperature increase difference with this.  I also hung on the Adjustable Air Deflector Kit to the fairing and open them during the summer months so lots of air will blow towards the cylinders (and my legs) and that does seem to help with the motor cooling......of course then I have buffeting on my legs.....
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 12:28:39 AM »

My only question is whether you noticed any reduction in motor cooling?  spyder

Spyder, run with one for years on Road Kings and 10K miles on my '10SESG without any problems from overheating due to the baffle. I did remove the cat from the SESG.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 01:18:21 AM »

Spyder......I haven't noticed any temperature increase difference with this.  I also hung on the Adjustable Air Deflector Kit to the fairing and open them during the summer months so lots of air will blow towards the cylinders (and my legs) and that does seem to help with the motor cooling......of course then I have buffeting on my legs.....

Harley parts guy told me that Harley reccomends removing that lower fork baffle in temps over 90 degrees. Of course, that is based on a stock lean running bagger. I leave mine on year round with no issues, but I also run a good bit richer than stock, so I don't get any heat issues on my 09 SG.

jb

Dave H

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 ( SESG ) Orange/Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red ( Sadly Sold )
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE3 Black
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 07:32:46 AM »

Mate I have the 8 inch Freedon shield. Made a huge difference to buffeting. And John Lauk gave fantastic service and the shield is a lot thicker and stronger than original equipment. Just get one - improves the ride  :2vrolijk_21:

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 07:46:19 AM »

They are nice and thick.   It's a very impressive shield. I'm sure it's a whole lot better than what you have.   :2vrolijk_21:

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

• CVO1: FLHXSESG2
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »

Received my 8 1/2 " Klockwerks today from Westend Motorsports, very good service considering I only placed the order last Thursday on the Internet, cleared customs this morning £20 import duty, so not too bad, looks really good on the bike, fingers crossed I will get the results I am hoping for ! Typical English weather it is p*****g down now, so will take it for a ride 2morrow after work.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »

This has been a part that you can buy for years through HD parts etc.  The '09 SERG came standard with one already installed.  Only they are black and not chrome.

The guy above said that he took his off in real hot weather to better cool the motor.  If the MOCO installed it as standard, I don't think they intended that it be removed based on ambient temperature.  I'm not sure though that it makes any difference.  On the RG's you can add a deflector that uses the front tank mounts for the upper locater and then the bottom snaps over the crash bar.  I'm thinking that they will not fit with the batwing fairing though.  Some have added them to their RG's and said it made no difference, but for the $30 I think it helped on my ride.  You may want to take a look at the '11 SEURG and see if they would fit a EG type fairing and crash bar.

Not meaning to take this too far off topic but.... :jack:

I have a RG and have the pieces Dan referred too as well as the chrome part mentioned in the first part of his post. I noticed a change with the plastic RG deflectors on alone, but not really a difference with the chrome batwing deflector added with it. Just fyi to RG folks I guess.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »

Not meaning to take this too far off topic but.... :jack:

I have a 09 RG and have the pieces Dan referred too as well as the chrome dish mentioned in the first part of his post. I noticed a change with the plastic RG deflectors on alone, but not really a difference with the chrome batwing deflector added with it. Just fyi to RG folks I guess.

Rob, you didn't notice any difference because they use the same air. 

Those plastic deflectors get most of the air from between the forks.  I noticed a big increase in air volume when I pulled the dish off my 09.  I don't think the 11 SEURG comes with the dish.

plasmadaddy

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite & Black Diamond Street Glide
    • The Rhythm Patrol
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 02:26:47 AM »

Received my 8 1/2 " Klockwerks today from Westend Motorsports, very good service considering I only placed the order last Thursday on the Internet, cleared customs this morning £20 import duty, so not too bad, looks really good on the bike, fingers crossed I will get the results I am hoping for ! Typical English weather it is p*****g down now, so will take it for a ride 2morrow after work.

Looking forward to the results - I'm thinking of getting the same shield.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »

Rob, you didn't notice any difference because they use the same air. 

Those plastic deflectors get most of the air from between the forks.  I noticed a big increase in air volume when I pulled the dish off my 09.  I don't think the 11 SEURG comes with the dish.

Glad to hear that. I was actually wondering if I may have made it worse having both on there. I took my lowers off around the same time and wasn't sure if the HUGE increase in wind buffeting was due in partial to that. Thanks!

Rob

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2011, 06:29:49 AM »

Looking forward to the results - I'm thinking of getting the same shield.

Just taken the bike out for a 70 mile ride with the Klockwerks screen, & can't believe how much better the ride was ! Was beginning to become very disillusioned with the ride & the Harley Windsplitter screen did not seem to make much difference, even took off the lowers to try & improve the ride ! I was beginning to think I'd made a mistake buying  a Touring bike & my FXDC was a more comfortable ride all round, but can't praise the Klockwerks enough, what an amazing product, & now I've put the lowers back on !!

plasmadaddy

• Full CVO Member

• The Rhythm Patrol
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2011, 01:46:58 PM »

Just taken the bike out for a 70 mile ride with the Klockwerks screen, & can't believe how much better the ride was ! Was beginning to become very disillusioned with the ride & the Harley Windsplitter screen did not seem to make much difference, even took off the lowers to try & improve the ride ! I was beginning to think I'd made a mistake buying  a Touring bike & my FXDC was a more comfortable ride all round, but can't praise the Klockwerks enough, what an amazing product, & now I've put the lowers back on !!

Cheers Paul sounds like the Klockwerks is a keeper!

Out of interest how tall are you?

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2011, 03:01:31 PM »

Cheers Paul sounds like the Klockwerks is a keeper!

Out of interest how tall are you?
6'1" the last time I checked !

plasmadaddy

• Full CVO Member

• The Rhythm Patrol
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2011, 04:26:14 AM »

6'1" the last time I checked !

Ordered the KW 8 1/2" - I'm slightly taller so hope I get the same results!  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.