Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Upgrades/New Radio  (Read 3967 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Upgrades/New Radio
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »

Well the old head unit bit the dust on the 09 SERG. So now I get to find a new radio. Suggestions? want it to be waterproof and compatible with the Harley controls, CD and port for the Ipod. Guess its time to upgrade the rest of the system as well. Need some bass, thinking about new speakers for the fairing and maybe removing a few gauges (Air and oil) and maybe install some tweeters there. Will most likely add lowers and add speakers there this fall.

Currently have the PSC1502 and CX504-70. Should I trash all of this and start over and maybe add to this with another amp?

Mike :orange:

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
Re: Upgrades/New Radio
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:35:13 AM »

Been researching this for a while, and spoke to Rich (TIF2), who was a wealth of information.  Here is my research and what I"m looking at doing so far --

Game Plan

Replace Head Unit (optional) ____________________

Replace OEM 2 Channel 200 Watt amp with 4 channel _______________ (must fit in fairing)

Replace Stock Fairing Tweeter Pods with ________________________________

Replace 5.25 Inch 2-way fairing Speakers with 2-Way ______________________________

Replace 6.5 Inch Mid-Range Fairing Lower Speakers with 2-Way _____________________

This will result in 6 tweeters, and four mids/base

Speakers must fit in stock openings.

I need to be able to control the radio and Ipod through hand controls.  No radio antenna is needed as I have XM through a 3.5 mm jack.

For ARC 125.4 batwing with a modified bracket from EastSide Harley Davidson

Focal 165 CA1
6-1/2" 2-way Access 1 Series Car Speakers (165CA1) $199.00 but on Amazon $139.49 
Focal 130 CA1
5-1/4" 2-way Access 1 Series Car Speakers (130CA1) 
$199.00
Focal 165 CVX 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers (165CVX) Polyglass cone woofer • Butyl rubber
$349.00 but 239.00 on Amazon

AMP/head unit configuration:

Alpine CDA-9886M - Marine MP3, WMA, AAC, CD Receiver with Direct iPod Connection AND my Garmin plugging into the back of the unit.

Sony CDX-M60Ui Xplod Marine v. Alpine Marine CDA-9886M

ARC Ks 125.4 Mini - ARC Audio 4 Channel 500 Watt Amplifier 11.6 x 5.15 x 1.7 IF YOU CAN GET IT TO FIT ON TOP OF NEW HEAD UNIT Alpine CDA-9886M - Marine MP3, WMA, AAC, CD Receiver with Direct iPod Connection AND my Garmin plugging into the back of the unit. 
---- can you get this head unit to work with Ipod that is stock in my saddle bag and the 3.5mm male end from Garmin XM/Sat unit that you see plugged in the front? Ipon Nano must charge.  I need to be able to use the hand controls.  There are controllers made by Hawg Wired and Biketronics.

There is a special bracket for the ARC here http://www.harleystereo.com/custompage.asp?pg=customstereo

Also, would like fader control for upper and lower speakers.

If Arc 125/4 mini does not fit in fairing, then I guess J&M ROKKER series 500w 4-ch 10 5/8" X 5" X 1 5/8" keeping stock Harley head unit unless you have another option.

SPEAKERS: 2 sets of Coax and one set of tweeters (a total of six tweeters) – also, I need to make sure they can handle the rain.

UPPER FAIRING
Focal 130 CVX - 5-1/4" 2-way Polyglass Coaxial Speakers (130CVX)
JL Audio C2-525x 5-1/4" Evolution C2 Series 2-way Speakers (C2525X)
We talked about this one:  Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X133  5-1/4" 2-way Car Speakers

Tweeter Pod
Just a good set of tweeters

LOWER FAIRING:
Focal 165 CA1 6-1/2" 2-way Access 1 Series Car Speakers
Focal 165 CVX = 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers (165CVX)
JL Audio C2-650x
We talked about using this one: Kenwood - eXcelon KFC-X1730 6.5inch 2-Way Speaker

This is the only link I found showing someone actually installing the ARC 125.4 mini in the fairing, and it seems like it was tough time and some plastic had to be trimmed.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/666995-arc-ks-125-4-in-a-batwing.html

These are just some other installs, just heads up – 

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=57312.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=45609.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=63250.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51941.0

J&M ROKKER series 500w 4-ch Amplifier kit 06-12 Harley StreetGlide # JAMP-500HC06-SG
This is a full range class G amplifier and is spec’d at 125watts RMS per channel X4 channels, (500w total) driven continuous into a 2 ohm load @ 14.4vdc, 70watts RMS continuous X4 channels into a 4 ohm load.
Amplifier itself measures 105/8” X 5” X 15/8”.

2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:01 AM »

One more thing, if the stock HK head unit is replaced, it opens up the fairing for the ARC 125.4 amp, and the install should not be a problem then.  At least in theory, LOL
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »

Thanks Wolf, seems like lot of work. i'm hoping to find someone that has put the theory to work with lots of power and great clear sound!
Anyone have any suggestions for a radio to replace the head unit?

Mike

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:38:56 AM »

It seems as though the Alpine (with no CD player) is the one everyone is getting.  A friend has the Sony without the CD player - the Ipod stashes inside the unit where the CD would normall go.  He has a Hawg Wired interface with allows fully use of his hand controls.  It works great according to him.  I looks good and sounds good.  He has the Hawg Wired amp and speaker set both upper and lowers.

Looking forward to any suggestions anyone has too.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:00:43 AM »

Gary -

My opinions:

1. You would be better served to ix-nay on the fairing eeter-tways. Your ears will hurt with that many upper-range drivers. Get a set of good quality separates (components) for the fairing and install the tweeters in the stock locations. Put the stock "tweeters" in the same box as all the other stock parts.

2. Don't waste your time with 5.25" drivers for the fairing. Get adapters and use (again) a good quality set of 6.5" component speakers. Be careful and make sure you look at the size of the cross-overs before you buy a given set of components - some cross-overs can be HUGE and although excellent in their own right, cannot be readily fitted inside the batwing fairing.

Good luck with your project!!

One thing though ...

If Arc 125/4 mini does not fit in fairing, then I guess J&M ROKKER series 500w 4-ch 10 5/8" X 5" X 1 5/8" keeping stock Harley head unit unless you have another option.

From an install/specification perspective - there is no difference between the J&M ROKKER amp and the Arc amp. The J&M 500w amp is the same install procedure as the Arc 125.4 mini amp as well as the same performance specs. If installing an Arc KS-125.4 mini amp makes you run to the hills, then so shall the J&M 500w ROKKER amp.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:12:21 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »

TIF2 sent you a PM

Mike

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »

Thanks Tif2 --

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »

It seems as though the Alpine (with no CD player) is the one everyone is getting.  A friend has the Sony without the CD player - the Ipod stashes inside the unit where the CD would normall go.  He has a Hawg Wired interface with allows fully use of his hand controls.  It works great according to him.  I looks good and sounds good.  He has the Hawg Wired amp and speaker set both upper and lowers.

Looking forward to any suggestions anyone has too.
How about if you want a cd player, what is the best choice that will work with the hand controls?

Mike

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 05:06:37 PM »

It seems the Alpine CD player with a module works fine -- that is the route I am going.  I'm old fashion, and want to be able to buy a CD on the road and throw it in.  Its not an 8-track, but hey ....

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:24:59 AM »

How much better is the bass with the upgrade?

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »

The way it was explained to me, is that Ohm are like Torque, and watts are like volts.  The more ohms, the power there is pushing the air -- hence, more base.  Need to ask the guys that already have it installed.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 06:06:12 AM »

The way it was explained to me, is that Ohm are like Torque, and watts are like volts.  The more ohms, the power there is pushing the air -- hence, more base.

Dunno who explained it that way to you but there must have been a serious disconnect. "Ohms" has nothing at all to do with bass, and "Watts" is never like voltage.
TIF2

shenengr

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 07:15:31 AM »

Go to this link.... It does a pretty good job of comparing an electrical circuit to water flowing in a piping system.... makes it easy to understand... IMHO

Lou   8)

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/question501.htm

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »

Thanks for the info, that definitely clarified everything -- I liked that water example.  Based on the plumbing example, a 4 ohm speaker has more resistance -- is that because it has to work harder?  Does it mean it is pushing a larger volume of air?  My take was that higher Ohm speakers are more powerful == is that correct?  Tif2 was explaining to me how running different Ohm speakers in series as compared to parallel changes to Ohms over the entire system.  I'm still learning about this so any input is always appreciated.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »

Pretty much anything you could ever want to know (at least from a general understanding) can be found here:

http://www.bcae1.com/

Navigate the site via the right side button pane.

Hope this helps ...
TIF2

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »

Pretty much anything you could ever want to know (at least from a general understanding) can be found here:

http://www.bcae1.com/

Navigate the site via the right side button pane.

Hope this helps ...

What a great website, perfect -- and thank you.

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »

The HW mounting bracket is on back-order. So when I can get it is when I can start. Heading to Reno in an hour.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.