Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!  (Read 75395 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »

Awesome! Looks like I do have a winter project. Now I gotta find part numbers

The 1" 136 tooth sportster belt is 40056-07.  The 30 tooth Tri Glide trans sprocket is 83595-11.   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 07:23:18 PM »

The 136T Sportster belt is what I used to replace the failed Falcon.  I don't see any manufacturing difference when comparing the Sportster belt vs a new OEM for the large V-Twins.  I seriously doubt that they are manufactuted any different from one model to another, it just isn't cost effective.  If it held up for Steve it should be OK for my use. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 08:19:08 PM »

The 136T Sportster belt is what I used to replace the failed Falcon.  I don't see any manufacturing difference when comparing the Sportster belt vs a new OEM for the large V-Twins.  I seriously doubt that they are manufactuted any different from one model to another, it just isn't cost effective.  If it held up for Steve it should be OK for my use.  

From an inventory perspective that's unlikely though.  There is cost to multiple part numbers.  If the belts were truly the same they'd make one belt.

Just because one can't "see" from the outside any difference in belting, stitching, materials or other adjuncts of manufacture in no way means they're not there.  From the outside, for example, an 88" and a 95" don't look any different either.

It's a nice simple solution.  Hope it's actually a good one.  Hard to completely trust it without actual mftr'ing specs though.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 08:46:51 PM »

The 1" 136 tooth sportster belt is 40056-07.  The 30 tooth Tri Glide trans sprocket is 83595-11.   :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for doin my homework  :huepfenlol2:

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »

Thanks Sadunbar.
Don't even hesitate Pete. It will the best single mod you make to your bike with proven and tested OEM parts. The 07-08s have the worst gearing ever.

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »

Steve I somewhat agree, however when looking at it as a purely manufacturing standpoint I suspect that they use the same formula and just make it to the various lengths to fill the orders.  I have some experience in manufacturing and that is just my opinion.  I have a person in mind that can do a great job at comparing the belts at a lab but in my case the Sportster belt will be used and I'm looking at a whole different way of addressing this issue.  I'm sure someone can find manufacturing specs from Gates on the particular belts in question.  It sure would be nice to put this one to bed and have complete confidence in these belts as the 30T change made such a positive impact.     

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »

Your 08 is different from the 09s and later bikes. You have the option of a 1 tooth shorter, 136T OEM Sporty belt. The 09s and later bikes need a 139T belt
that is only available in the aftermarket. That's why we need a swingarm mod to run the OEM 140T.
Your the lucky dog, leave it alone and ride it!

Steve

Can the rear pulley from an 07-08 be used on a 09-newer rear wheel?
Then the front 30 tooth pulley / 136T Sportster belt combo would work?
All OEM parts?

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »

Help??

The bike i just bought a 2011 SERGU off a member on the site and he installed a 30t sprocket on the bike.  Not sure if he made any other mods to address the issue, of if he was even aware of the problem, if there is one?  SO, if I understand this thread correctly, I could have a problem in the future with the drive belt breaking if i continue to run this sprocket??????  Or maybe, hopefully we are talking two different things, sproket/pulley???
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »

:nixweiss:
Harley does NOT make drive belts.  They use a supplier and someone should be able to I.D. which one it happens to be.   I cannot believe that whomever the manufactorer is..........makes the H.D. belt with certain specifications (strength), etc.  and then makes another supply of similar lengths that don't share that same reliability and passes those off to other suppliers like Drag Specialties, etc.

I'm not believeing an H.D. belt is or should be any stronger or more reliable than another.............assuming that they (HD) have a supplier that markets to more than just H.D. to supply cogged drive belts. :-\

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Gates has been identified as the OEM mfg. on this post. If it hasn't Gates is the mfg.  Drag Specialties could have various suppliers depending on the length, I had a Falcon from Drag that went south after 3000 miles.  Others have had better luck with theirs.  I think Steve has been promoting the use of the OEM belts just to be on the safe side via his modification of the swingarm.  I wouldn't panic on the belt until you identify it.  Post what you have on your 30t conversion and I'm sure you will receive the proper advice on how to proceed. 

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »

I spoke with Mark the owner of the bike I bought.  When he went to a 30t sprocket, he bought a belt from Drag Specialties and replaced it to compensate for the 2 teeth.  Hopefully I won't have any issues.  Thats a problem that obviously waits to go wrong when your on the road riding and probably not close to home!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »

OK Steve, it has been a few months since you did this modification, any thoughts? Looks like the ticket, I am planning on doing it, get this aftermarket belt off my bike, just curious if you have rethought anything or would do anything different? What thickness metal did you use for the gusset? I have a nice Miller Mig welder, but not sure if I want to weld it or pay somebody that can do a nice Tig weld on it like yours.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 04:18:26 PM »

Steve once again came through with a great solution.  Let us know what the total cost is to do the swingarm considering it will most likely have to be repainted.  Other than the issue of broken belts mostly non OEM I don't think there has been any complaints or disappointments with the benefits of the 30t conversion. 

Good Luck

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »

I am very happy with the conversion besides that. My plan is to try and just repaint the end cast piece. Should be able to wrap the swingarm in a wet rag, then tack the gusset in place (let cool) weld one side of gusset (let cool) then weld the other side. I am thinking the cost is going to be VERY minimal. I am pretty anal about my bike, but I can live with the end piece of the swingarm having a raddle can paint job.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »

OK Steve, it has been a few months since you did this modification, any thoughts? Looks like the ticket, I am planning on doing it, get this aftermarket belt off my bike, just curious if you have rethought anything or would do anything different? What thickness metal did you use for the gusset? I have a nice Miller Mig welder, but not sure if I want to weld it or pay somebody that can do a nice Tig weld on it like yours.
A friend of mine lengthened the slot on his swingarm with out adding the gusset. I actually lengthened the slot further than required. He went less and had more material
under the shock mount and felt comfortable with it. My concerns strength were all focused on the shock mount. A shock mount failure on a big hit at 80 would end the day miserably.
I plan on modifying my 2012 swingarm the exact same way with the 1/4" thick gussets welded on.

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 5.218 seconds with 21 queries.