Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!  (Read 76442 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Re: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »

Mule,

My way may not be the correct way, comes from years of dirt biking. I have the shocks disconnected, then I can check the belt with full range of motion of the swingarm, check for tight spots. I use a 36mm socket on one side and 1-x/x on the other (can't remember). I have never had to adjust my belt when out on the road.

Your wrench hits the shock mount? I am having trouble pictuing it that.

As for milling the axle slot, man that is awesome! It was very easy to grind, but if you could set it up on a machine and do it that way would be real cool. Do you know exactly how much you took off?

mule

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »

I have no problem adjusting at home with a lift I was refering to when I am on the road. I actually had to grind down part of the shock mount to get the cam adjuster to clear the shock mount for adjustments I made the slot .215 longer.

SilveRT8

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

Talked to my HD Mechanix about this mod for better gearing and he does not beleive in changing from the stock belt.
He's done this EVO 49 tooth ring gear change directly at the engine output at least a dozen times and said everyone's been happy with it. So, that's the way I'll go on mine too, keeping stock belt and all.
http://evoindusa.com/mtrcycle/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=23

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »

Talked to my HD Mechanix about this mod for better gearing and he does not beleive in changing from the stock belt.
He's done this EVO 49 tooth ring gear change directly at the engine output at least a dozen times and said everyone's been happy with it. So, that's the way I'll go on mine too, keeping stock belt and all.
http://evoindusa.com/mtrcycle/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=23
:confused5:
OK,  This obviously means you read the write up that you attached........and realize that to go that way,  you're eliminating the use of your 6th gear lite (who really cares)......BUT,  you're also eliminating usage of your cruise control. :oops:

Had it not been for that,  I may have also gone that way.  But I didn't wanna lose the "cruise"..........which I did not via the 30T trans sprocket. :cherry:

SilveRT8

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2012, 09:18:38 PM »

:confused5:
OK,  This obviously means you read the write up that you attached........and realize that to go that way,  you're eliminating the use of your 6th gear lite (who really cares)......BUT,  you're also eliminating usage of your cruise control. :oops:

Had it not been for that,  I may have also gone that way.  But I didn't wanna lose the "cruise"..........which I did not via the 30T trans sprocket. :cherry:

He said I will NOT loose "cruise" like mentionned on the specs sheet, he's done it on many other FLHT so far and he's able to recover cruise ( something to do with the programming), but for the "6th gear Light" he said most HD riders should know how to count up to six !!
Also I asked about the whining sound that someone  mentionned and he said this has never been an issue on the bikes he's done, it's simply replacing an internal 46 tooth gear and chain by a similar 49 tooth gear and chain.

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2012, 09:51:06 PM »

After 8000 miles on the 2nd . Falcon belt , I finally did the swing arm mod thatni should have done over the winter and reinstalled the Harley drive belt, I was suprised it lasted this long, first one died much sooner, whew, glad that's over Only took 4 hrs for everything

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »

After 8000 miles on the 2nd . Falcon belt , I finally did the swing arm mod thatni should have done over the winter and reinstalled the Harley drive belt, I was suprised it lasted this long, first one died much sooner, whew, glad that's over Only took 4 hrs for everything

:worthless:

Post up Tim!

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

This is the one I did for a 2010 Limited because of "trailer duty" in the summer.
Gotta say with the 30t, TTS tune (thanks to Steve) 54 cams, this bike runs awesome!
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »

This is the one I did for a 2010 Limited because of "trailer duty" in the summer.
Gotta say with the 30t, TTS tune (thanks to Steve) 54 cams, this bike runs awesome!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Mike, you holdin out on us? I didn't know you were doing swingarm mods. How much?

SG

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »

Mike, you holdin out on us? I didn't know you were doing swingarm mods. How much?

SG

I'm NOT, this is my personal bike!
 ;D
I'll do the same mod for you for $400.00, minus your 10% discount! You supply the parts! LOL
 8)
HOGMIKE

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »

I'm NOT, this is my personal bike!
 ;D
I'll do the same mod for you for $400.00, minus your 10% discount! You supply the parts! LOL
 8)

When the world record holder for most miles on a Falcon belt gives up and goes back to a stock belt, what's that telling us?  :nixweiss:

SG

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2012, 07:35:52 PM »

I wasn't giving up my 30 th pulley on my 120/120  Hillside 107 build, I used 3/8"  round stock, ground flat underneath to sit better on the swing arm end. Just weld  to attach a end, of round stock to  upper swing arm then bend it  to follow contour of swing arm end around  and weld  it the bottom. To make a wider brace , then mig welded it, on all four sides,    Used 1/4 " plate welded to where the stock plates were  ensuring they were square, for the adjusting cams to push against evenly, I used a single cut burr for grinding the axle slots .220"   Also had to relieve the shock mount bolt hole for clearance, I didnt take pics during the process,  due to the 100 plus temps, just wanted it done!! , but it's a very easy. Mod to do But then I was a nuc. welder for 21 yrs in the navy,

thanks to Steve for the idea!!!!     ,

I was orginally going to just weld build up the end of swing arm then grind it to shape,vice the gussett  this is easier and quicker, Now when running days/weeks on the road, away from home I feel easier about replacing a belt that dealer has in stock and is stronger
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:59:18 PM by timtoolman »

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »

another pic showing round stock

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

If anyone is lookin to do this and needs the gussets.. I have some that I cut on CNC and will ship 4 pcs ( 2  gussets and 2 spacers) for 20.00 .. these are from 1/4 material . Thanx

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

Really!!! You are a couple month's to late!!!  :'( That just really makes this a no brainer now!! Nice Job  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 21 queries.