Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!  (Read 76414 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
Re: 30t Pulley with a stock belt. It can be done!
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »

Hey,

I really don't want to go through the mod if I absolutely don't have to!  I have the Falcon belt on my bike right now, I bought the Gates belt a couple of months ago and plan to put that on.  I only ride about 6-8 thousand miles a season, one up never a passenger.  I haven't read of anyone having problems with the Gates belt which is the same as the stock belt?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »

Rio.. I jus gotta ask.. why would you go through puttin on an inferior belt , and yet not got go ahead and do the mod ?? not to mention if ya get out and snap a belt and have to replace with something other than the readily available OEM belt .. not trashin here .. jusaskin.. Thanx you also have a PM ..

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »

:confused5:
I'm gonna help out Rio with an answer for ya.............Those of us that made the swap to a 30T sprocket,  and found out the stock belt would not fit,  (at the time) did NOT necessarily have the feedback that the replacement (shorter) belt was not of the same quality as the HD belt........(Which HD does NOT make).

So the "drill" seems to be that perhaps Gates makes the stock belts for Harley and the one that Rio got and that I have from (Drag Specialties) was made by Falcon and has been shown (by some) to not last as long.

I agree that this makes the situation..........(problematic) in that a breakdown on the road could be extra painful as the local dealers might likely not have a belt to fit.

My last two Vettes had no spare tire and a flat would have been a problem also...........although my last one had "run flats" on it.   So,  I'm gonna keep riding and hoping NOT to have a belt problem and I assume Rio is in the same boat.

If and/or when that problem surfaces for me,  I will than assess the swing arm mod and a return to the "stock" belt setup.  Until then,  I'm just in an "ignorance is bliss" kinda deal and I just ride on.............................. :drink:

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »

If anyone is lookin to do this and needs the gussets.. I have some that I cut on CNC and will ship 4 pcs ( 2  gussets and 2 spacers) for 20.00 .. these are from 1/4 material . Thanx

NOW he tells me.........
Took me an hour to torch out the parts and grind them smooth!! I used 3/8th cause that's what I had on top of the scrap pile!
 :oops:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 07:10:55 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »

:confused5:
I'm gonna help out Rio with an answer for ya.............Those of us that made the swap to a 30T sprocket,  and found out the stock belt would not fit,  (at the time) did NOT necessarily have the feedback that the replacement (shorter) belt was not of the same quality as the HD belt........(Which HD does NOT make).

So the "drill" seems to be that perhaps Gates makes the stock belts for Harley and the one that Rio got and that I have from (Drag Specialties) was made by Falcon and has been shown (by some) to not last as long.

I agree that this makes the situation..........(problematic) in that a breakdown on the road could be extra painful as the local dealers might likely not have a belt to fit.

My last two Vettes had no spare tire and a flat would have been a problem also...........although my last one had "run flats" on it.   So,  I'm gonna keep riding and hoping NOT to have a belt problem and I assume Rio is in the same boat.

If and/or when that problem surfaces for me,  I will than assess the swing arm mod and a return to the "stock" belt setup.  Until then,  I'm just in an "ignorance is bliss" kinda deal and I just ride on.............................. :drink:

We DO have a couple local guys running the Drag belt, and they are aware of a "potential" issue. I have a spare belt for just such time as we need one.
I actually got pretty good service on my Drag belt, touring AND pulling my trailer, 2-up.
 8)
HOGMIKE

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2012, 10:39:50 PM »

Rio.. I jus gotta ask.. why would you go through puttin on an inferior belt , and yet not got go ahead and do the mod ?? not to mention if ya get out and snap a belt and have to replace with something other than the readily available OEM belt .. not trashin here .. jusaskin.. Thanx you also have a PM ..

Not sure how to answer that other than I don't really want to modify the swing arm and put the stock belt back on.  Not sure what the difference would be?  If Gates makes the HD stock belt and it's the same or similar quality, its shorter to make the adjustment for the sprocket, whats the difference?  I understand the Falcon belt problem, but I have been following this topic and I can't recall anyone complaining about the Gates belt?  I bought the bike from a member with the Andrews sprocket and the Falcon belt, not sure if I would have ever made this mod, probably would have looked for a cam solution instead?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

jacknife

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »

Talked to my HD Mechanix about this mod for better gearing and he does not beleive in changing from the stock belt.
He's done this EVO 49 tooth ring gear change directly at the engine output at least a dozen times and said everyone's been happy with it. So, that's the way I'll go on mine too, keeping stock belt and all.
http://evoindusa.com/mtrcycle/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=23

Hey how about update, How did it go?

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »

I have a Drag Specialties belt for sale if anybody wants a backup

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »

:nixweiss:
"We DO have a couple local guys running the Drag belt, and they are aware of a "potential" issue. I have a spare belt for just such time as we need one"

:confused5:  Just (how) would you carry around a "spare belt"..........for just such times as needed. ??

The belt is too long to go into a Tour Pak and from every thing I've heard,  you are not supposed to bend one of them such as would be required to fit one into a saddle bag and/or a Tour Pak.............

So....................Do ya bring along the belt in a car or truck following the bikes or what. :drink:

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »

Well I guess I will get the idiot of the year award. I decided t do this mod and did my research and made a chit load of errors. I managed to find a slightly used andrews sprocket that was ..... ah ok. Next i didn't check into it enough and purchased a Buell 139 belt and when I opened the box I realized it was not wide enough. Wait it gets worse. I then found a guy that had a 139 belt one inch wide and bought it from him. When I got that form him it came twisted up in a box and it is a falcon belt......... Now i DON'T know what to do. I have already spent to much money on belts and don't know what to do next. I am now thinking of the swing arm mod but I am budgeted out......

I'm pissed, angry & mad at myself for starting this project....

Sorry for the wining...
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »

I don't remember the belt number or where I got it from, but someone recommended a belt that worked, or at least similar quality to the stock belt.  I replaced the drag specialties piece of crap that was installed with the sprocket when I got the bike.  I have about 7,000 miles on this belt, I check it every time I clean the bike, and the belt has absolutely no signs of stress or unusual wear.  I know adjusting the swing arm costs about the same to do the mod, I opted to go with the belt in the event me or someone I may sell the bike to at a later date decided to go back to the stock set up.  If you dig around, you can find the name and part number for this belt.  No worries, I've paid for something two or three times too before I got it right.  Usually mufflers, this time......a good tune
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »

Gates 139  Inch belt I have 48,000 miles still looks new

Thanks.....couldn't remember.  Thats good to know though! :bananarock:
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

flhx120r

« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2014, 07:13:15 AM »

MotoMummy.com has a plug and play sensor to recalibrate speedo. Even has a program to help calculate the percentage.....  I am going with the Triglide pulley 30t and welding gusset on mine so I keep stock belt..... Anyone know if the gear change will mess up my custom dyno'd map?  I know it will change speedo by 5 miles an hour...

2010 SG
107 Fuel Moto
118hp/115tq
200/55/18 rear
Stage II heads
Vance and Hines ProPipe 2-1
777 woods

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »

MotoMummy.com has a plug and play sensor to recalibrate speedo. Even has a program to help calculate the percentage.....  I am going with the Triglide pulley 30t and welding gusset on mine so I keep stock belt..... Anyone know if the gear change will mess up my custom dyno'd map?  I know it will change speedo by 5 miles an hour...

2010 SG
107 Fuel Moto
118hp/115tq
200/55/18 rear
Stage II heads
Vance and Hines ProPipe 2-1
777 woods

If your using TTS, recalibrating the speedo is pretty easy. Nothing will change in your fuel map.

Welcome to the forum.

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

flhx120r

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2014, 09:54:18 PM »

Just Got my Trike trans pulley and gasket.... Now the fun begins.....Gonna reuse old/stock belt...   I already have a trans nut socket that I made out of a deep socket that I cut then welded it back together with a piece of pipe in between so it's like 8" long.  saved me a hundred bucks or so.... I am gonna weld and grind my axle slots... think it's the simplest  and cheapest way....
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 22 queries.