Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: LED bulbs  (Read 5364 times)

dite

• Full CVO Member
LED bulbs
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »

I have Springer that has the standard turn signal bulbs.  Can I replace those 1157 and 1156 bulbs with LED bulbs? Who makes the best ones?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: LED bulbs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »

I have Springer that has the standard turn signal bulbs.  Can I replace those 1157 and 1156 bulbs with LED bulbs? Who makes the best ones?

There are MANY (many many many many many) different LED bulbs in the 1156 or 1157 format.  They'll have anywhere from a few LED segments to many.  Have seen them with as few as three and as many as 32.  And I know my look wasn't exhaustive.  Differences in brightness also. 

All that is to say you can't say "LED bulb" by itself anymore and assume there is any kind of apples to apples comparison. 

Some of the bulbs are big because they've got so many lights stacked on them.  Have seen some so large they won't fit in a Harley bullet housing.  Easiest solution will be to hit your local full line auto parts store.  They'll likely have some right there you can match size to.  They'll likely also be a common or known branded product and have a local warranty you can handle right there at the store if you need to.

They'll be more expensive than the stuff that can be ordered online.  And they might not be better.  But they won't be bad.  If you want to shop online try a known entity like Custom Dynamics.

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:25:47 PM »

Be forewarned that LEDs don't draw as many amps as incandescent bulbs so your flasher mechanism may not work.  You can purchase separately (@ extra cost of course) devices to make up for this.  Most vendors of LED conversions tell you this only in the fine print.

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:41:46 PM »

also check to see if they have to be DOT compliant in you state to pass an inspection.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »

I use LED bulbs from www.sixity.com  They are pricey, but the 1156 and 1157 bulbs are nice and bright and they do fit in the bullet turn signal housings as well as the taillight housing.  Much brighter than stock, and much brighter than the standard Kuryakyn Panacea LED lights as well.  There is an ebay seller that carries them in red and amber.  They say to use red bulbs inside of red lenses and amber bulbs in amber or clear lenses.  I like 'em.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:55:29 PM »

I use LED bulbs from www.sixity.com  They are pricey, but the 1156 and 1157 bulbs are nice and bright and they do fit in the bullet turn signal housings as well as the taillight housing.  Much brighter than stock, and much brighter than the standard Kuryakyn Panacea LED lights as well.  There is an ebay seller that carries them in red and amber.  They say to use red bulbs inside of red lenses and amber bulbs in amber or clear lenses.  I like 'em.

Do you need to use a load equalizer with these LEDs?  What specific part number do you use? Thks
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:53:03 PM »

I'm not sure if you need the load equalizers for the turn signals because I'm using the Kuryakyn "run-brake-turn" flasher that does have load equalizers in it.  And, I don't know the part numbers, but below are three ebay links to the three types of bulbs...red 1156, red 1157 and amber 1156.

Red 1157: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160667719215?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Red 1156: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150679316278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Amber 1156: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160667719161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Hope this helps.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 07:33:12 AM »

Thanks for the info.  If you use a red bulb in the tail light, how does that effect the license plate illumination since that portion of the tail light lens is white?

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:54:24 AM »

Thanks for the info.  If you use a red bulb in the tail light, how does that effect the license plate illumination since that portion of the tail light lens is white?
Well, I never thought about that one, so I went out and turned it on to see. It does illuminate it, but with a red glow.  My license plate is under the taillight and it never really illuminated it very well anyway.  I suppose that the reason they recommend you not use a white LED bulb in a red lens is because they emit such a bright white light it will show pink through the lens  :nixweiss:
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:47:42 AM »

I changed front, rear and taillight to led's a couple yrs. ago, I went with kuryakyn and added the run-turn-brake as well, the turn signals, taill-brake lights and the spoiler lights on the tour pak flash when you apply brakes.  :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »

Here is all we ever wanted to know about why to NOT use white LED's behind red or amber lenses.
http://litezupp.com/content/so-why-not-use-white-led-behind-red-or-amber-lens-important-info
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »

Here is all we ever wanted to know about why to NOT use white LED's behind red or amber lenses.
http://litezupp.com/content/so-why-not-use-white-led-behind-red-or-amber-lens-important-info

Good info. Thanks.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »

They forgot to mention which color LED to use with a smoked lens, which is what most CVO's have.  I don't see any "smoke" colored LED's listed.   ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »

They forgot to mention which color LED to use with a smoked lens, which is what most CVO's have.  I don't see any "smoke" colored LED's listed.   ;)

Jerry

Hmmm, another good question.  Maybe you use yellow as that's the color incandescent bulb used with smoked lenses???

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »

Jerry
My front signals are bullets with smoke lenses and I use amber bulbs.  Perfect.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 07:37:32 PM »

This is another real lighting solution, that provides a complete package of Bright Ass Lighting, which includes white for the tag.  http://www.brightasslights.com/site/

They are a little pricy, but from what I see on their website, appear to be one of the best bright LED solutions out there.  :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 21 queries.