Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Toll road protest  in Virginia for bikes  (Read 3616 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Toll road protest  in Virginia for bikes
« on: July 07, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »

Here is an article for a planned protest against tolls in Virginia for motorcycles,
http://www.bikerenews.com/Stories/TOLLS_PROTEST_RIDE.html

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
Re: Toll road protest  in Virginia for bikes
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 08:13:15 PM »

Good Luck with your quest...let us know the outcome.

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 08:46:58 PM »

I don't know exactly what device Virginia is planning on using but I don't thnk motorcycles will get a free bye.  Florida's Turnpike is a toll road and SunPass devices are available to whoever wants one.  Riders down here either attach them to the windshields of their bikes (suction cups--easily removeable at the destination) or wear them around their necks on a strap, or put them in the pockets of their jackets.  It's not exactly ideal but it sure beats stopping at toll plazas and fishing for money.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 08:49:35 PM »

VA Eagle, I copied the link to share with our HOG chapter.  We get 10 - 30 emails a week about stuff I am barely interested in.  This would be just too much fun.  What do your think?

Pull up into the toll both.  Stop bike, put down kick stand.  Slowly get off bike. Remove chaps, fold up.  Open up saddle bag.  Find wallet.  Get $0.35 out, place in receptable.  Unroll chaps.  Put them back on.  Remount bike.  Ride forward only a little, cause you gotta wait for your partner.  Mmmmmm.  How many hundreds of bikes would it take to close the toll road down?  I wonder?  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 08:50:04 PM by Mrs._WeCVO »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 09:37:09 PM »

VA Eagle, I copied the link to share with our HOG chapter.  We get 10 - 30 emails a week about stuff I am barely interested in.  This would be just too much fun.  What do your think?

Pull up into the toll both.  Stop bike, put down kick stand.  Slowly get off bike. Remove chaps, fold up.  Open up saddle bag.  Find wallet.  Get $0.35 out, place in receptable.  Unroll chaps.  Put them back on.  Remount bike.  Ride forward only a little, cause you gotta wait for your partner.  Mmmmmm.  How many hundreds of bikes would it take to close the toll road down?  I wonder?  
Anarchy.  What a 'rebel'.........you gotta 'cause' now!   [smiley=end.gif] [smiley=givemebeer.gif] [smiley=soapbox.gif] har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 10:15:48 PM »

Anarchy.  What a 'rebel'.........you gotta 'cause' now!   [smiley=end.gif] [smiley=givemebeer.gif] [smiley=soapbox.gif] har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder

:DI actually do have causes, none shared here.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] And you would not want that either.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]I am one of those that you always want on your side, and not on the other. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I don't do anything wrong of course, but in life...... I don't have to.   ;DKarma is what it is ............. and what goes around.... comes around.  
Does not need help.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 10:16:48 PM by Mrs._WeCVO »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 10:34:40 PM »

OK, Mrs.We.......I'll be good.  You convienced me... [smiley=uneasy.gif].....I ain't messing with no 'karma' deal.....nooooooo, not spyder!  [smiley=disguise.gif] har!   [smiley=daisy.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 10:49:51 PM »

:DI actually do have causes, none shared here.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] And you would not want that either.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]I am one of those that you always want on your side, and not on the other. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I don't do anything wrong of course, but in life...... I don't have to.   ;DKarma is what it is ............. and what goes around.... comes around.  
Does not need help.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] ;D

Hehehe!  Amen, sister!  Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!  The Lord said, "Vengeance is mine," and then created WO-MAN!!  Take lots of photos and post back here.  You should see if you can send it to all the local HOG chapters as well as the WOW, Victory, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Women Sportbike Riders, and the many other public forums.  I have a published list if you need it.  I could give you list of COC club emails too, but that'd be a little too dangerous.  Good Luck!!

V
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 12:36:45 AM »

You gotta do that with enough bikes to occupy all the toll booths and operators. And do it at rush hour. Perhaps even tip the media, that way we all can see what happens!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 05:46:37 AM »

You gotta do that with enough bikes to occupy all the toll booths and operators. And do it at rush hour. Perhaps even tip the media, that way we all can see what happens!

That is the plan - on the first Monday in October we are asking you to ride the toll road nearest you between 7:00 and 9:00 A.M.

We hope to have a minimum of 200 bikes gather and go through all booths at one of the toll roads here in Richmond enmasse.  If the weather is nice I bet we can get a lot more.  I mean, on any given Sunday we see 150-300 bikes show up for a charity ride, so it should not be to hard.  I know - people have jobs to get to, so they would have to either ride to work, with thier riding gear or take leave for part of their day, but it is a good cause, bikers riding for the rights of bikers.   Thanks VAEagle for sharing this.   :D

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 10:25:02 AM »

That is the plan - on the first Monday in October we hope to have a minimum of 200 bikes gather and go through all booths at one of the toll roads here in Richmond enmasse.

It sounds great to me.

One thing to keep in mind. Now that this plan in on the internet, and the local media will be notified, be prepared for the possibility of being met by the police at either your staging location, or at the toll booths.. It is an opportunity for them to "check your pipes, lights, mirrors" and issue safety citations. There is also the remote possibilty of arrests, and the seizure of motorcycles due to some overlooked law such as willful obstuction with the intent to delay, thereby affecting state commerece, or some other cock-a-mammy reason. Perhap you should appoint some sort of spokes person to take the lead in addressing these matters should they arrive.

I'm not trying to throw a wrench into your plan, I just want you guys to know what MAY happen.

Good luck, God Bless, and God Speed.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 12:14:53 PM »

Good thoughts everyone. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
For those who don't know ,the originator of the idea is a Lawyer that fights for motorcycleists rights. I'm sure he will be on scene and represent anyone who needs his help.
I don't see where it would be a problem as long as the bikers just do what they would normally at a toll booth which is stop in a safe manner and pay the toll then proceed in a safe manner. 8-)
The problem with toll roads is the safety factor for bikes.Gotta worry about slipping on the oily pavement and of course inatentave car drivers who don't realize you have to stop and they run into you.Then lane changes for everyone depending on if you have an easy pass or not.
Also many bikes can't easily mount the easy pass device. You can also have out of town riders or those who very seldom ride a toll road and they don't have the device or is the device usable in all states that have tolls? How would you know until you were in the wrong lane and it didn't register?
All of these problems and more so the state can get $.35?

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 02:01:23 PM »

You guys do what you want but I see this as a "pick your battles" sort of thing:

Like I said earlier, riders in Florida use the Florida Turnpike every day and nearly every one of them is aware of the Sunpass (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) and it's just not a problem.  They breeze right through without stopping, as do a lot of 4-wheel vehicles.

I know - people have jobs to get to, ...

That's right.  Most if not all of the vehicles you'll be delaying have schedules of some sort to keep.  Ask yourself this:  Will this demonstration make them say "Yes, motorcycles should get to ride on this road for free"., or "Those blasted motorcycles want something for free that I have to pay for and they're clogging up traffic because of it".  I mean, do you think this will put motorcycling in a positive light or negative to most of the public?  Don't care?  You should, because they vastly outnumber us as lobbyists, voters and citizens.

For those who don't know ,the originator of the idea is a Lawyer that fights for motorcycleists rights. I'm sure he will be on scene and represent anyone who needs his help.

I would suggest that the lawyer be employed to find a constructive solution with the DOT, perhaps through technology, to provide motorcycles a safe and expedient way to comply with the toll.

The problem with toll roads is the safety factor for bikes.  Gotta worry about slipping on the oily pavement and of course inatentave car drivers who don't realize you have to stop and they run into you.Then lane changes for everyone depending on if you have an easy pass or not.

Yes, it can be dangerous for bikes to stop at a toll booth.  Here's where political activism, lobbying and suggesting technology comes in so you don't have to stop.  As far as the scramble for lanes after paying, cars have been dealing with that for years, and it's not great for them, either.  But stop to pay a toll or not, even the pre-paid lanes have to merge with the accelerating and merging traffic on the exit side of a toll plaza.

Also many bikes can't easily mount the easy pass device.

Riders in Florida have gotten creative where necessary and the ones that I know simply don't see it as a problem.  There are ways to do it and it beats the heck out of stopping at a toll plaza.

You can also have out of town riders or those who very seldom ride a toll road and they don't have the device or is the device usable in all states that have tolls? How would you know until you were in the wrong lane and it didn't register?

Probably more out-of-staters use the Florda Turnpike than residents so they stop at the plazas.  Just like with any travel plans, if a rider was planning on using the toll road, down here, anyway, Sunpasses are available all over the place.  At the beginning and end of the toll road, there is a major plaza that sells them for use along the entire length.  But if rider has to stop at a toll plaza, then yes, as in 100% of the time on the road, it's up to that rider to decelerate gently, make sure they're balanced when the stop, observe the road surface, etc.  I think we all know how careful we must be out there.

All of these problems and more so the state can get $.35?

All those pissed-off people in cars I mentioned?  As they sit in your traffic jam they're going to be saying "All of these problems and more so the bikers can get out of paying $.35."

Look, I ride and I agree that toll plazas aren't my favorite places either.  But as I read this thread, it seems to me like the activism here is heading in the wrong direction.  Riders use the electronic pre-paid devices down here with little or no problem.  If Virginia is adopting something that's not rider-friendly then present yourselves to the DOT or whoever and argue your case.  Pissing off a whole bunch of non-riders and maybe involving the local police to handle a traffic jam isn't the way to get positive result, IMO.

I'm probably in the minority here so let me re-emphasize: This is all IMO.  :)

SE_ULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
  • CAUTION: Extreamly shinny. WEAR EYE PROTECTION
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 02:15:16 PM »

You guys do what you want but I see this as a "pick your battles" sort of thing:...

I was watching this thread, and just keeping my thoughts to myself, as I seemd to be in the extream minority. However now that RedFXR2 has spoken up, I don't feel like the only one. Though I agree that all the issues posted earlier do need attention, I think "closing down" toll roads on Monday morning rush hours is the wrong type of attention. This is the type of negative stereotype "biker" behavior that we have all worked to overcome. Bike nights, bike weeks and bike events are being closed and cancelled because of this negative stereotype.

I urge you to use your considerable ability to organize and inform to ensure this event DOES NOT take place and that your concerns are delt with in a positive manner. I am sure you can accomlish your goals with the same class and respect that you and many others have brought to motorcycling.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:15:55 PM by SE_ULTRA »
2006 FLHTCUSE
TrueDuals, 6-Speed, Stage-1, Race Tuner, High Flow
...and a shiny little bell

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 05:34:48 PM »

I was watching this thread, and just keeping my thoughts to myself, as I seemd to be in the extream minority. However now that RedFXR2 has spoken up, I don't feel like the only one. Though I agree that all the issues posted earlier do need attention, I think "closing down" toll roads on Monday morning rush hours is the wrong type of attention. This is the type of negative stereotype "biker" behavior that we have all worked to overcome. Bike nights, bike weeks and bike events are being closed and cancelled because of this negative stereotype.

I urge you to use your considerable ability to organize and inform to ensure this event DOES NOT take place and that your concerns are delt with in a positive manner. I am sure you can accomlish your goals with the same class and respect that you and many others have brought to motorcycling.

Yeah, Man, I've ridden over that James River Bridge many, many times.  Last time was in the mid 70's.  Toll was .90 then, I believe.  Some good points posted concerning this issue, but I would advise a little less hostile approach.  Ever heard of "Obstructing Traffic?"  Having had experience with fighting City Hall, it's best to fight your Battles there.  Research info on how many bikes enter the toll everyday, how much revenue is generated by those tolls, how many Bikes are registered in the immediate area, how many Bikes are registered in the State, how many crashes involving Motorcycles and Cages, have occured at each Toll Booth, etc.  Then suck up to one of the Politicians, and let him take credit for suggesting the construction of the New "Motorcycles Only" toll booth.  Emphasize the "Safety Factor."  Don't forget to lobby for reduced tolls for Motorcycles, too.  Plan your work, and work your plan.  Politicians don't see you as people, when you walk through those Capitol doors.  They only see votes.  More people, more votes.  Twolane, would be a great source for strategy, and orginization for you guys.  I wouldn't even attempt a Political battle, of any kind, without his advice.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 08:54:14 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 11:09:42 PM »

Yeah, Man, I've ridden over that James River Bridge many, many times.  Last time was in the mid 70's.  Toll was .90 then, I believe.  Some good points posted concerning this issue, but I would advise a little less hostile approach.  Ever heard of "Obstructing Traffic?"  Having had experience with fighting City Hall, it's best to fight your Battles there.  Research info on how many bikes enter the toll everyday, how much revenue is generated by those tolls, how many Bikes are registered in the immediate area, how many Bikes are registered in the State, how many crashes involving Motorcycles and Cages, have occured at each Toll Booth, etc.  Then suck up to one of the Politicians, and let him take credit for suggesting the construction of the New "Motorcycles Only" toll booth.  Emphasize the "Safety Factor."  Don't forget to lobby for reduced tolls for Motorcycles, too.  Plan your work, and work your plan.  Politicians don't see you as people, when you walk through those Capitol doors.  They only see votes.  More people, more votes.  Twolane, would be a great source for strategy, and orginization for you guys.  I wouldn't even attempt a Political battle, of any kind, without his advice.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD

Just saw this thread and have to agree with Red and Hubbard.  This isn't a battle I'd want to take on as a political activist.  Asking for something for free (toll road access) that all other "normal" users have to pay for and then shutting down the system because you're not getting it is no way to fight a political battle.

Bikes are already at best only tolerated in many municipalities.  At best we're treated equally with the safety concerns we need above equality left to ourselves.  That's exactly how it should be though (at least in my opinon).  There aren't enough of us that it'd be right for the entire road network to be tailored to the few extra things that might make our lives easier when we really can tend to those things ourselves with not much extra effort.

Consider the following as a completely logical and not at all illegitimate scenario from a legislator's or DOT senior bureaucrat's perspective:

Posit:  Hmm, motorcycles want unfettered or least preferential access at toll plazas.  There's not that many of them.  It'll cost as much to accomodate those few as it would to equally benefit some tremendously larger number of other motor traffic.

Response 1: Ok, I guess I'll do it.

Budget office to legislator or bureaucrat: "How are you going to pay for it?"

Legislator or Bureaucrat: "Well, the benefit is targeted to a select group.  I guess we'll have to figure out how that group can cover some major portion of the expense.  Perhaps motorcycle license plate fees or property tax rates will have to go up?  We might even have to couple that with mandatory helmet laws.  After all, motorcycle accident injuries cost the state (through costs above those covered by insurances and not paid by the victims) more than other motor vehicle accident injuries.  We absorb those differences in per-mile-expense on the system now beause, overall, the cost isn't so great as to necessitate the political battle.  But now they're wanting some extra so we'll have to regulate the expense more tightly.  So if we mandate helmet laws for all bikes in our state we're lowering the cost we absorb to have motorcycles in the system without raising the various taxes.  Or gee, maybe we'll have to mandate helmet laws and raise the fees too."

Basically, for me, the US highway system is a system I can use as a biker.  Safely and mostly easily.  I may have to be more careful in some areas than others.  But I can do that.  It is part of being self-reliant on the bike after all.  I don't want any damn special privilege and I especially don't want any special notice from the government.  Especially when not getting those things means they basically leave me the hell alone.  Last thing I want to do is give a government a good reason to really start thinking A LOT about motorcycle usage on the highway grid.  Because when they do it won't be a good thing for us.  You may see some near term pacification to your near term demand.  The longer term result won't be nearly as good though.  

Above and beyond all that I can not understand at all why I'd want to piss off all the motor vehicle traffic backed up for god knows how many miles behind me at a busy toll plaza.  They're going to get through the plaza eventually after all.  Some of them may not stay behind me.  And they're all sure as hell bigger and more stable than my bike.  

There are, for sure, within any group a few nuts out there.  Guys pissed off sitting in there car close to overheating with the kid squalling in the back seat is just one step closer to being next nut with a case of road rage.  I don't appreciate all of you painting a bullseye on my bike as a way to vent your inadequacies in dealing with a toll plaza.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 11:15:16 PM by twolanerider »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 10:49:18 AM »

See?  Told 'ya!  ;) Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 12:58:56 PM »

In Oklahoma, we have a PikePass system that reads the pass and charges to your account.  I have often wondered why this system isn't used for all tolls and appropriate state accounts credited with one pass.  It would seem to me this would be a better vision to legislate.  All vehicles would be included, and traffic would flow so much better.

When we rode to Key West and used a portion of the turnpike around Miami, we had to stop almost every 7 to 10 miles.  They had huge toll booths with attendents.  Seemed expensive to me.  Also, it created a major merge issue going back to 6 lanes.  Just about the time the traffic spread out....here come another toll plaza.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 01:45:01 PM »

i think at this point you can use transponders in most of the eastern states
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmm   Seems easy enough to me,

A) Pay the toll.

OR

B) Move somewhere where there are no toll roads

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 02:31:38 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmm   Seems easy enough to me,

A) Pay the toll.

OR

B) Move somewhere where there are no toll roads

I'd love toll roads if Hooters girls manned the toll boths.  There'd still be a traffic jam.  But I'd care much less.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 02:51:53 PM »

I'd love toll roads if Hooters girls manned the toll boths.   [highlight]There'd still be a traffic jam.[/highlight]  But I'd care much less.

Well then it would be HONKERS wouldn't it   :D  ;D [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Sorry, off thread I know. Don makes me laugh and say silly things

« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 02:52:27 PM by SPIDERMAN »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 02:55:39 PM »

On a more serious note, for those of you who may not have traveled a lot. If you draw a line from Chicago to Norfolk on the map of the USA, everywhere northeast of that line will have toll roads. With a few exceptions, everywhere else will not.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 03:57:21 PM »

The politicians in charge are considering toll hwys. in NC........maybe the recently approved Lottery will fill the coffers enough to avoid this.   :-/  spyder

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 04:00:15 PM »

On a more serious note, for those of you who may not have traveled a lot. If you draw a line from Chicago to Norfolk on the map of the USA, everywhere northeast of that line will have toll roads. With a few exceptions, everywhere else will not.
I guess the little change dispenser that fits on the handlebars is seen more frequently on bikes in the northeast.....I had a buddy put one on the Electra Glide he used for touring.....avoided digging thru rainsuits at toll booths, he said.   :-/  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 06:18:01 PM »

I'd love toll roads if Hooters girls manned the toll boths.  There'd still be a traffic jam.  But I'd care much less.
I can see that now. You and I doing U turns around tollbooth just to check out some hottie. [smiley=sneaky.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 06:22:50 PM »

I guess the little change dispenser that fits on the handlebars is seen more frequently on bikes in the northeast.....I had a buddy put one on the Electra Glide he used for touring.....avoided digging thru rainsuits at toll booths, he said.   :-/  spyder
You got that right. Even worse if you have a one-piece rain suit on. Made the mistake of buying one of those before I ever had to use it. They are a pain to get in, and out of (especially if you wait to the last minute to "relieve" yourself [smiley=nervous.gif]) and them not having pockets is a pain in the arse. :o

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 07:09:41 PM »

I can see that now. You and I doing U turns around tollbooth just to check out some hottie. [smiley=sneaky.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Is it wrong to pay the same toll four times just to see the girl again?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 07:58:55 PM »

Is it wrong to pay the same toll four times just to see the girl again?
Nope, not at all. If she's that hot I'm going to keep giving her bills even though she's given me change back on previous time thru her booth. This way I get to have more time/conversation w/her. This is something I read in a famous "Male Gigolo's" memoirs. ;)

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 08:18:11 PM »

Hooters girls for toll booth atendants may make the experience more enjoyable and worth it too! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

I have read all the posts so far and I feel they all have valid points to consider.I can not speak for those who are organizing this event and have no idea what ideas they have tried or attempts they have made to the politicians already.
For those of you who are not familiar with the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, we used to have a toll road as part of our road system and it was a major route. There were many accidents at the toll booth area including fatalities. (One involving a Suburban that got rear ended and it caught on fire) And it also was a bottle neck area for traffic.(There was no easy pass system at the time though.) For the past several years the toll booths were removed and traffic is flowing much better and many fewer accidents too.
I agree that the public and the politicians need to be educated as to the safety concerns and the true numbers of motorcycles on the road. Such as the ride to work day each year. They already have driver awareness ads in some states telling drivers to be aware of biker's on the road. Look at some states that have slippery pavement markings for bridge grates or changed the rain groove patterns in pavement to make things safer for bikes.
Since most politicians don't ride they have no idea of our concerns and i'm sure don't really care about us.
As far as bikes getting some special consideration in some respect they already get that in states where the can ride in HOV-2 or more lanes even if they are ridden solo. I'm sure some car driver's resent that as much as bikes being allowed to lane split in California.

I freely admit I don't know much about the electronic pass devices that some areas have. They may be the solution for most motorist if they can be used in every state.I would hate to think that if I was traveling cross country that I might have to have several of those boxes and make sure I was using the right one or have to have a dash full of them.I would hate to find out as I was approaching a pass booth that my device wasn't working and I would have to change lanes suddenly to get to a manned booth or run the risk of running the booth and getting a ticket.A universal box would be great if all states agreed.

The Virginia politicians are trying to get more toll booths installed as a way to pay for road improvements including ones back on I264 between Norfolk/ Virginia Beach and also the state lines north and south on I95 and I85. So they will take congested roads and choke them down.
They need to think outside the box and look at taxing drivers based on yearly mileage during renewed license plates or state inspection or some other way instead of a toll booth.
I do think we need to have constructive P.R. as a group as we all know all of the charity rides,Patriot Guard activites, and other good deeds of many can be forgotten by the average person and politician by the bad acts of only a few bikers.
It can be a hard balancing act to have our concerns and voices heard in a constructive way, someone in a large group can go overboard and break the law which is never good.
 [smiley=soapbox.gif]

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2006, 08:58:50 PM »

That wasn't a soapbox VA, that was a well thought out well written post. Amen to that  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 08:59:10 PM by SPIDERMAN »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 21 queries.