Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Older Riders Higher Risk  (Read 2547 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Older Riders Higher Risk
« on: August 13, 2006, 12:52:45 PM »

Take a look at this article on another site. Interesting points.
http://www.bikerenews.com/Stories/Older_riders_higher_risks.html

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Older Riders Higher Risk
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 03:23:27 PM »

Great article. Some interesting points. Probably alot is increased statiscal numbers in age group so % of accidents appears to be high, but very realistic to point out that what we did in our youth may not carry over in later life if had large break in riding experience. Big message is we have to assume everything is an accident waiting to happen and ride accordingly!
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:16:24 PM »

"The motorist, a 20-year-old woman from Brockton, had made a left turn on Route 138 and told police she noticed a motorcycle in distress in her rear-view mirror. The driver, who stopped at the scene of the accident, said she did not cause the crash." (Emphasis added)

Oh, of course not.

Dead men tell no tales.
 RIP, Robert.   I've heard enough... take the 20 year old 'woman's' license away.

How about the car ads that target virginal teenage drivers, showing how well the car can speed around twisties and do nice, smokin' turns.  "You'll look good in your new [size=10][fill in car brand][/size]!" [smiley=soapbox.gif]  
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 12:28:44 PM »

Here is the whole article for those who's link doesn't work.

By Rick Foster/Sun Chronicle Staff
When Attleboro motorcyclist Robert Lamaire died suddenly following an accident in Easton last weekend, it sent a chill through other local riders -- particularly those with whom he used to befriend regularly outside the North Main Street Dunkin' Donuts in Attleboro.

`` It shocked everyone,'' said Michael Flynn, 45, who like the 50-year-old Lamaire, had taken up motorcycling again recently after a flirtation with two-wheeled vehicles during his youth.
`` Bob was just a good guy,'' he said. `` If you had a mechanical problem with your bike or your car, he'd help you out.''

Lamaire, died Monday, two days after he crashed his motorcycle on Route 138 in Easton. The driver of an automobile that had been in the vicinity said she witnessed the crash.

The circumstances surrounding Lamaire's accident are murky.

According to Easton Police Chief Thomas Kominski, an investigation is still in progress to determine the cause of the crash, in which police also interviewed the driver.

The motorist, a 20-year-old woman from Brockton, had made a left turn on Route 138 and told police she noticed a motorcycle in distress in her rear-view mirror. The driver, who stopped at the scene of the accident, said she did not cause the crash.

`` She felt that her vehicle had nothing to do with it,'' Kominski said.

There was no contact between Lamaire and the woman's auto, Kominski said.

One thing is certain, however. Lamaire, 50, is the latest victim of a worrisome chain of deaths among older motorcycle riders nationwide.

Both in the Attleboro area and throughout the country, riders 40 and older are showing up ever more frequently as victims of fatal cycle crashes.

In the Attleboro area, where there has been a spate of motorcycle fatalities in the past year, victims have been evenly split among young cyclists and mature riders.

E In March, Taunton resident Kurt Dufresne, 50, was killed when he lost control of his motorcycle and grazed a utility pole on Phillips Street in Attleboro. A witness said the rider appeared to lose control after taking his hand off the controls to wave at children.

E In May, Attleboro resident Russell Choiniere, 45, died when his motorcycle crashed off South Main Street near the Dodgeville Mill and struck a line of boulders.

E Two other area fatalities this year, one in Franklin and another in Attleboro, claimed the lives of two young adults.

Nationally, the trend is even more striking.

According to figures compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the number of motorcycle riders 40 to 49 years old involved in fatal accidents ballooned 140 percent from 1997 and 2004 to 971 deaths -- almost a quarter of all victims.

In addition, the number of riders ages 50 to 59 who were involved in fatalities skyrocketed more than 200 percent.

The largest number of motorcycle deaths annually is still among riders ages 20 to 29.

Traffic and safety analysts say that the rise in deaths among mature operators parallels a trend in which thousands of older riders, often with empty nests and disposable income, are rediscovering their love for motorcycles.

In the last 10 years, U.S. motorcycle registrations vroomed from just under 4 million to almost 6 million. But between 1990 and 2003, the percentage of motorcycles owned by people 40 and over has surged from 40.7 percent to 63.4 percent. By contrast, riders aged 25 to 29, who used to represent the single largest motorcycling age group, have dwindled to just 7.6 percent.

Motorcyclists and safety experts differ over the causes behind the upsurge in fatalities, citing everything from inattentive automobile drivers who fail to pay attention to the presence of motorcycles to overconfidence by cyclists equipped with powerful machines, but little training.

Cyclists often complain that automobile drivers don't give them room, fail to see them or cut them off, causing riders to take sudden evasive action.

Flynn says such encounters are frequent.

`` Sometimes I'll be riding, and the car behind me will be almost up to the back tire,'' he said. `` If I suddenly had to slow down, I'd get hit.''

According to the latest statistics, about 55 percent of fatal motorcycle accidents also involve another vehicle.

`` In about two-thirds of those cases, the automobile driver is at fault,'' said Mike Mount, a spokesman for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, which promotes rider education through a system of novice and `` seasoned rider'' motorcycle courses.

But while careless drivers in cars or trucks may constitute part of the problem, motorcycle education experts say riders also have a responsibility to anticipate problems on the road.

`` Sure you can say, `Hey, he cut me off,''' said Joseph Proia of Ironstone Ventures, a large motorcycle training school that provides classes at Seekonk Speedway. `` But if you've got a Dunkin' Donuts down the road, you have to anticipate that there are going to be cars turning in and out.''

That can be a particular problem for older riders, who may not react as quickly or see as well as some of their younger counterparts -- especially at night.

Proia said he sees many older riders taking up riding or re-entering the motorcycle fraternity after having not motorcycled for many years.

Often such students present themselves as `` experienced,'' even though they have not ridden for a decade or more.

Such overconfidence can be poisonous to mature riders returning to a world with greater traffic congestion, more powerful machines and greater hazards than they may have been used to in the past.

`` Older riders forget how to ride, as much as they say they haven't,'' Proia said.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:31:03 PM by VaEagle »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 12:32:28 PM »

Part 2 of the article,

Another potential hazard facing returning riders are the increased power and technological changes that make today's motorcycles far different than the machines older motorcyclists remember.

`` These days, a 600 cc motorcycle can have as much horsepower as a 1,000 cc motorcycle had 10 years ago,'' Proia said.

Braking systems have become beefier and more responsive, as well.

The popularity of bigger, higher-horsepower motorcycles has mushroomed just as thousands of baby boomers began lining up at motorcycle showrooms with disposable cash.

Often, the older riders choose the big, potent machines they see publicized on motorcycle-oriented TV shows. The two elements can make a deadly combination.

`` The two biggest correlations in the fatal accident data is older riders on larger motorcycles,'' said Rae Tyson, a spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

At a time when the median age of motorcyclists was climbing from 27 to 41, the number of fatalities involving motorcycles of more than 1,000 cubic centimeters displacement increased 132 percent. And among deadly crashes involving those high-powered bikes, an increasing number of victims are older motorcyclists.

According to NHTSA figures, more than 70 percent of fatal accident victims on bikes of between 1,000 and 1,500 cc in 2004 were 40 or older.

That's not to say that high-powered bikes are the biggest threat to older riders, experts say. Speed, lack of proper protective gear and helmets along with alcohol consumption and training -- or lack of training -- are also contributing factors.

In the case of motorcycle training, the statistics are especially dismal. Motorcyclists in Massachusetts can simply show up at a Registry of Motor Vehicles office and take a test to obtain their license and are not required to take a formal training course, said Brook Chipman, with the state Department of Transportation.

In 2005, the percentage of victims of fatal motorcycle crashes that lacked formal training was 77 percent.

Organizations such as the Motorcycle Safety Foundation are working to encourage motorcyclists not only to take courses to qualify for their licenses, but also to become `` lifelong learners'' by enrolling in periodic refresher classes, Mount said.

Many states, including Massachusetts, offer incentives and insurance discounts to graduates of motorcycle education programs.

For veteran riders such as Rehoboth's Roland Ouellette, 54, experience and defensive driving have helped keep his 40 years of continuous motorcycling happy ones.

Ouellette says he enjoys the sights and sounds of the open road and travels annually to Daytona Beach, Fla., for that city's `` Bike Week.''

Ouellette started riding small motorcycles when he was 14.

`` I still feel safe out there,'' Ouellette said. `` But it's like anything else. If you stretch the rules, you'll pay the consequences.''

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 01:13:03 PM »

I am sure many factors go into this, but I wonder what the increase or percentage of older riders involved in accidents is in realtion to sales of bikes over 1000 cc.

Here's an old excerpt from HD sales I found:  Harley continues to project a growth in its sales of motorcycles through 2007, when it plans to sell 400,000 machines. Its target for 2004 is 317,000 bikes. It delivered 291,147 motorcycles in 2003 compared with 263,653 bikes in 2002.

If the percentage of older riders involved in accidents is 5% of sales (which I doubt) that would be and additional 1500 accidents on 30,000 sales.

So in simple math if you had 5,000 accidents for 100,000 bikes and 6,500 accidents for 130,000 bikes, it's and increase of 23% over the previous year but it is still only 5% of the total bikes.

If accidents are only .05 of the population of bikes the percentage of increase would still be the same seemingly dramatic but not a big change of overall accident percentage.

That said, there is always room for more training and skill enhancement. Bottom line ride within your ability and be safe, that's what we can do to stay well.  We know from experience when you narrow the odds, you increase the chance of getting in trouble.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 03:17:53 PM »

My personal observation on this topic is that it's a matter of complacency. After nearly 40 years of riding motorcycles, the thing I have to remind myself of constantly is not to be to blase about it all. Every situation calls for 100% of my attention, no matter how many times I've been there, done that. And, of course at almost 53, my reaction time whether I care to admit it or not is not what it was when I was in my 20's and 30's. So I think the key is awareness - - - - - - - - of your surroundings, your personal abilities and your motorcycle's abilities.

As Ole Big D says   " just my $0.02 "

Big B

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 03:46:29 PM »

I am sure many factors go into this, but I wonder what the increase or percentage of older riders involved in accidents is in realtion to sales of bikes over 1000 cc.

Here's an old excerpt from HD sales I found:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 03:50:54 PM »

[smiley=zwtf.gif] Chit, math/geometry/statistics class were always before or after lunch time when I was in school I would always skip them to hang out in the parking lot or be to wasted to attend them after lunch. [smiley=smoking.gif]

Ok, now I understand. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

I had faith in you math class or not, besides.....it's as clear as the throttle in your hand.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 04:44:05 PM »

.....it's as clear as the throttle in your hand.
That's the part I understood. As I always say, "Don't ride faster then your Guardian Angels can fly".

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 10:41:09 PM »

If my math is right,(just did it in my head), then from the numbers and percentages the article quoted, the number of riders age 40 and over has increased three fold (tripled) over the past ten years, but the fatalities in this age group has only doubled. I would think that is pretty good , since the 20-29 age group actually decreased in ownership percentage yet still leads the fatality group!!!!
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 06:59:39 AM »

A few weeks ago, I was on the bike and stopped at this place in Tiverton, RI called Evelyns...a clam shack type place.  I was standing outside waiting for my food watching traffic.  Some clown in a new Pickup heading north on the road (30-40 mph limit) turned [highlight]left [/highlight]into the lot and caused a Bike heading south to have to brake hard enough to chirp his tires...the Biker yelled but continued to ride off.  I witnessed the whole thing.  As they pulled in I could hear the male driver telling the woman passenger  "I don't know what his problem was."

Well...I could not shut up and I nicely said "You know why...Left hand turns kill Bikers"...he said "what?"  And I repeated myself.  He started to say that he did nothing wrong...I pointed out that the Biker had to slam on his brakes.  His response...so what, I have the bigger vehicle.  

I wanted to deck him.

I swear I hoped he would run in to a Semi someday...and I usually don't wish ill of anyone.

Idiots.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 06:41:05 AM »

Hey WFP!

I admire your restraint.  Haven't been in a fight in 25 years but that might have ruined my record.  I can't believe how some folks think so little of their actions and how it can ruin (or erase) a life.

I hope that semi has his name on it.... [smiley=oops.gif], not really, that would make me no better than he.  A full seat sucking scare would be nice though! [smiley=evilgrin.gif]

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 09:08:33 AM »

...[highlight]full seat sucking scare [/highlight]would be nice though! [smiley=evilgrin.gif]

Another CVO site description?   ;D  ;D  ;D

harleydiva

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 03:53:57 PM »

If my math is right,(just did it in my head), then from the numbers and percentages the article quoted, the number of riders age 40 and over has increased three fold (tripled) over the past ten years, but the fatalities in this age group has only doubled. I would think that is pretty good , since the 20-29 age group actually decreased in ownership percentage yet still leads the fatality group!!!!

Ace, I agree!   :)    I think it's great that we (speaking for myself and TCnBham) baby boomers are riding in the wind and not sitting around growing old.   [smiley=drink.gif]   [smiley=banana.gif]    TC had not ridden in several years...he's a great driver, and I love sitting in my throne behind him.  Quite frankly, I think the "older" drivers are safer drivers.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]   Seems to me most of the younger drivers are more into speed than enjoying the ride.  Just my 2 cents.   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.