Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Zumo and speakers  (Read 1922 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Zumo and speakers
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »

Ok guys here is what Ive got. 09 SERG with the stock radio with a total upgrade on speakers and amp. Also have the zumo i believe the 660? anyway I just bought a new harness from harley to mount the Zumo to the handle bars. I would like to be able to listen to the radio or I pod but have the turn directions over ride the music and play thru the speakers. Sometimes its hard to see the screen. What do I need to make this work.

BigLew

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Zumo and speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »

Navigation Interface Module from Harley. About $150 but you might run into problems because your bike does not have the connectors that you will need to make the install easy. Lots of info here about installing the NIM on your bike.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:50:27 AM by bissjim »
Ride It Like You Are Retired

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »

Navigation Interface Module from Harley. About $150 but you might run into problems because you bike does not have the connectors that you will need to make the install easy. Lots of info here about installing the NIM on your bike.
Does that mean it will work if I buy this part? Will it be a plug and play with this part?

BigLew

TIF6

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »

In order for the turn by turn directions to override another source playing through your stereo, you need the Road Tech version of either the 660 or 665, in addition to the NIM.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »

In order for the turn by turn directions to override another source playing through your stereo, you need the Road Tech version of either the 660 or 665, in addition to the NIM.

Correct
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »

Does that mean it will work if I buy this part? Will it be a plug and play with this part?

BigLew

Normally, I would say the install is fairly easy for '09 + Touring model years ('11 and '12 CVO StreetGlide, and '12 CVO RoadGlide Custom models not-withstanding). However, this gives me pause:

.... 09 SERG with the stock radio with a total upgrade on speakers and amp.

Since you have done a "total" upgrade of your system, it gets difficult to try and say that the NIM will be plug-and-play.
Did you do the upgrade or did a shop do it?
TIF2

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »

Harley shop did the install of a Hawg wired 500 watt amp and speakers and tweeters did lowers and speakers. The kit was pretty straight forward.

BigLew

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:36:40 AM »

Harley shop did the install of a Hawg wired 500 watt amp and speakers and tweeters did lowers and speakers. The kit was pretty straight forward.

BigLew

NIM install should be pretty easy then.
:)
TIF2

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 08:03:33 AM »

Excellent then I'll find me a NIM and get the Harley shop to install. Thanks for the help!

Mike

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 09:40:34 AM »

NIM install should be pretty easy then.
:)
Hey TIF2 got the NIM and another wire hooked up at the Harley shop today but no sound through the speakers. Any ideas?

BigLew

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »

Did they test operation before you picked it up?
It should have been pretty easy ... I'd ask them if they tested it or not.
TIF2

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:56:08 AM »

not sure, I picked it up yesterday while it was not raining. No one working in service, but when I hooked it up had power and the GPS worked but no sound?

BigLew

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »

Define "sound".

Are you saying there were no turn-by-turn prompts?
The NIM only controls turn-by-turn interrupts. Audio (mp3 on disk, or if a 665 - XM) will still need the 3.5mm audio cable plugged in to the Aux jack and the radio must be set to Aux as the source input.
TIF2

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »

sound; radio works and i pod in the aux jack works just like before. New zumo cradle installed withe new NIM. There was another wire the parts guys said I needed. the 660 powers up and the directions work. Just no sound coming from the Nav unit. Is there a wire that should run from  the Zumo to the aux port? If you do that you can't use the i pod. Anyway I can't get it to work. I guess I'll call the shop.

BigLew

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 07:56:28 AM »

You can not use the GPS for MP3 because in order to hear MP3 or a phone call from the GPS you must use the Auxiliary Input on the radio. You can't have 2 things plugged into the AUX port at the same time. Well you can but it may cause problems. You can always spend more money and get the IPod interface. It is always a questions of how much you want to spend.

Did you check your speaker switch setting on the bike? The switch has to be all the way back (speaker switch light is ON). Just a thought.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »

If you want to use the 660 for mp3, the only solution is to get a 3.5mm audio cable and plug that into the Y connector that comes with the NIM. Run that cable from inside the fairing to the outside. Then ... if you want to listen to iPod via aux jack ... plu in the iPod (the new 3.5mm cable from the 660 is left unplugged).

When you want to listen to mp3 (or other) audio from the 660, unplug the iPod from the aux on the front of the radio and plug in the 660 cable that you ran from inside the fairing. The iPod cable is then left unplugged. Certainly not ideal but unless you want a direct iPod interface solution (HDPDPLUS or the Moco) - it's the only way I know of to get mp3 (or other) audio from a 660 AND use the aux jack for iPod. One or the other, but as Jim said - I would not recommend trying to use both sources, via a Y cable, to the front of the radio at the same time.
TIF2

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 08:57:22 AM »

You can not use the GPS for MP3 because in order to hear MP3 or a phone call from the GPS you must use the Auxiliary Input on the radio. You can't have 2 things plugged into the AUX port at the same time. Well you can but it may cause problems. You can always spend more money and get the IPod interface. It is always a questions of how much you want to spend.

Did you check your speaker switch setting on the bike? The switch has to be all the way back (speaker switch light is ON). Just a thought.

Jim
Thanks Jim I didn't know I had to use the aux port to make this work. That sux, i use the I phone a lot to listen to music.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.