Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Who uses Basecamp  (Read 3951 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Who uses Basecamp
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:14:54 PM »

So I thought I could import my Garmin maps into Basecamp and tweak them a little more to my liking. What a crock......or am I missing some thing? Probably the biggest pile I have ever tried to use. Can't just put in from and to, that would make sense. Any use it and like it? Am I missing a trick? Was within a instant of deleting it, but figured I would ask here first.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Glenncarp

Re: Who uses Basecamp
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 03:13:40 PM »

I have tried Basecamp and Google Maps. Basecamp is confirmed POS and Google maps can import the route, but only startiing and ending point. The only way to import a route is through the HD Ride planner. You have to be a HOG member and there is plenty of trial and error in planning a route and importing it to the GPS without added wayypoints that can not bee seen unless you zoom in REALLY close. Sucks to make a u turn with 10 bikes following when a waypoint was added to a small side street!

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 04:39:33 AM »

Basecamp is terrible.  I use a program called Tyre.  It has worked well for me.  Created routes on the PC and then transfer them to the Garmin.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 05:58:50 AM »

Basecamp is terrible.  I use a program called Tyre.  It has worked well for me.  Created routes on the PC and then transfer them to the Garmin.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:04:33 AM »

Basecamps sucks gnat balls.  Appears to be by people who have seen a GPS but never actually attempted to plan a route on one.  The HD ride planner is ok.  I still use the older Garmin software - Mapsource sometimes.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »

I use HD Planner, seems to be the only one i can navigate
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:18:45 AM »

Garmin still supports Mapsource...  I called in and they were very helpful in getting Mapsource loaded and configured properly.

I've always found Garmin to have great support.  I have it loaded on both my PC and Lap top.. makes life much easier.

Matt

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »

I have both Mapsource and Basecamp loaded on my PC and I find MapSource to be a much more user friendly software than Basecamp.

As much as I have tried to understand Basecamp so far I have been unable to figure out how it is supposed to work.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »

Thanks for the great info. Easy to use, make map what you want, import to your Garmin, BAM you are done and could see your map before importing. Garmin should chitcan Basecamp and pay for the rights to Tyre. For those using anything else, give it a shot. You will throw rocks at Mapsource, Basecamp or most any other trip planning tool.THANKS, tpb857
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »

Basecamps sucks gnat balls.  Appears to be by people who have seen a GPS but never actually attempted to plan a route on one.  The HD ride planner is ok.  I still use the older Garmin software - Mapsource sometimes.

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »

Agree with all the comments about BaseCamp - it really sucks imo.  I still use MapSource and while Garmin may offer assistance getting it loaded on your computer, etc., they are not supporting it with any updates / enhancements.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »

Limited in what I can use with my Garmin 478, and up until recently it has always been Mapsource. DOn't really care for it, but learned to live with it.

Now that I have a Mac, I am starting from scratch, and Mapsource is PC only. Just installed all the Mac OS Garmin programs tonight (5 total).
If nothing else, getting software and firmware on the GPS has never been easier  :2vrolijk_21:. I hope it doesn't stop there.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel...

Ok.   ;D

Garmin has, as we used to say back in Texas, a bird nest on the ground.  They are about the only game in town, they dominate market share for bike GPS, & they charge Monopoly funny money prices for their high end Zumo units.  When my Zumo 660 crapped out, under warranty, I went through 5 units that would have been chit canned in any tech world that gave a chit that were shall we say "inferior" from Garmin techs.  As in, out of the box they ranged from black screens never to light up to the ever popular Frozen Screen option, where it just stuck & stayed there,  Finally Mother Harley had mercy upon me & arranged for the local dealer to provide me with a new unit, in the box.  Worked fine, unlike the "refurb" ones.

Garmin would make user friendly software for their units if they were customer service oriented.  Apparently, they are not.  Base Camp has been out for a while.  It sucks so bad it is an embarassment.  Garmin could care less so eff em & feed em catfish heads as a wise poster here says does not appear to be that interested in the actual usability of the higher priced end of it's product line. 

Other than that, I figure my next bike will have a spiffy Infotainment Screen that I plan to nickname 'Taint.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »

In MapSource and BaseCamp you are planning routes with the same map database that is in your Garmin GPS.  That is not the case using the H-D Ride Planner and I would think not so with Tyre.  I've uploaded several routes from Ride Planner that were not correct when I got them to my Road Tech Zumo 660.  Even though I did not create the routes in Ride Planner I did view and confirm them in Ride Planner.

But once uploaded some of the waypoints were off.  Off the actual route enough that the Garmin would instruct me to make a turn, then do a u-turn and come back to the correct road.  After that experience I always upload them into MapSource and double check them before sending to the GPS.

Anyone else ever have this problem?   :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »

So I thought I could import my Garmin maps into Basecamp and tweak them a little more to my liking. What a crock......or am I missing some thing? Probably the biggest pile I have ever tried to use. Can't just put in from and to, that would make sense. Any use it and like it? Am I missing a trick? Was within a instant of deleting it, but figured I would ask here first.

Go ahead and delete it........I did.       Referring to it as a pile was kind....
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.