Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: auto tuners  (Read 8226 times)

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
auto tuners
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:03:33 PM »

Anyone running the thunder max like dislike what about the power vision with the auto tune add on. Thanks

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: auto tuners
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 11:32:26 AM »

For what it is worth there is no such thing as an AUTO tuner, Marketing hype at it's best. All tuning devices need input from the tuner person, you or someone you pay. With that said the best tuner in the wrong hands still gives you a poor running bike. So pick what you like but make sure you know what your picking and who is going to do the work with it. IMHO TTS Mastertune is by far the best but then I am a little biased about it.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:32:10 AM »

For what it is worth there is no such thing as an AUTO tuner, Marketing hype at it's best. All tuning devices need input from the tuner person, you or someone you pay. With that said the best tuner in the wrong hands still gives you a poor running bike. So pick what you like but make sure you know what your picking and who is going to do the work with it. IMHO TTS Mastertune is by far the best but then I am a little biased about it.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: Well said...

DownUnder CVO

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited-Traded
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra- Traded
    • CVO3: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 12:47:36 AM »

Have used Vance & Hines FP3 FuelPaks on my 14 CVO limited & my wifes 2015 1200 sporty, now about to get another for my 15 CVO RGU. They are very simple to use, no dyno required and bikes run sweet as!
If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space!

Hilly13

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:42:38 PM »

A properly tuned bike is a properly tuned bike, a bike may give no trouble and run fine but not be properly tuned......true story, reckon that would be 99% of bikes with diy piggyback and "auto tune" tuners fitted, of course that is just my opinion, it is based on what I have seen though.

firesam23

• Full CVO Member
  • It's only money Can't take it with you
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG HC Mercury
    • CVO2: 2011 SG Harley Custom numbered paint set candy red with skulls
    • CVO3: 2003 1200 Sportster Black/Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »

I had a Thundermax tuner on my 2011 SG 103.  I installed it and downloaded the map for the bike loaded it.  The throttle lag was gone and the bike ran great.  I loved it.  I felt it was a worth every penny upgrade.  I will have to see how the CVO does stock before I decide to install it again.  Thats my opinion.  My dealer tells me they don't like the brand and recommends another they sell.   
It was women, it was sinnin’, it was alcohol
It was everything the bible says will make a man fall

Born2Live

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: FLHXSE 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: VRSCF 2013 V Rod Muscle
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »

I only have experience with the Dynojet Power Vision and can only speak of that.  I used the PV on my VROD which came with a pre loaded map for the VROD.  I had the mufflers switched out and sent the bike to a tuner to "tune" the bike, but is was more for the break in.  Once  I got the bike back, and rode for a couple hundred miles I was not 100% satisfied with the tune because I had some decel popping that I thought was excessive. 

So I plugged the PV back into the bike and went riding with it so it could monitor what was going on with my riding style.  Once I was done with the ride, I loaded the new map that was automatically changed by the PV into the bike and went for another ride.  The decel popping significant reduced.   I did this about 6 different times and each time the bikes performance got better.   The decel popping was virtually eliminated and my mileage got a little better.  All of this was done with the Power Vision unit on the bike.  Very easy and simple to use.  After I was satisfied with the bikes performance adjustments. I unplugged the PV and put back in the Box and didn't look at it again until I traded it in.  So based on my experience with Power Vision I was very happy with it.  I cannot tell you any data as far HP increases or torque curves.  All I can say is that it worked well for how I used it. 

The other thing is that I understand is that you can monitor/and change your bikes tune for different riding conditions i.e.  High altitudes, hot weather, cold weather, all highway, all street, etc.   

So with all of that said, I am also putting the DynoJet Power Vision on my new CVO Street Glide with the fuelmoto E-Series Exhaust and headers and having the bike broken in on the dyno all before getting the bike home.   I use QuickTime Motorsports here in St Louis and they are very reputable.  So when I finally do get a chance to ride the bike I will report back. I am confident that the Power Vision will work well and I like the fact that it is very easy for me to make changes to the map without having to use a computer or mess things up so to speak.......to be continued

Fuelmoto 2-1-2 Jackpot Headers
Fuelmoto FLH E Series Mufflers - 14 discs

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

did you use the auto tune that comes with the PV or the auto tune pro with the bigger 18mm O2 sensors?

Born2Live

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: FLHXSE 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: VRSCF 2013 V Rod Muscle
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »

I used the regular auto tune. Didn't see the need to do the auto tune pro for just a stage 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fuelmoto 2-1-2 Jackpot Headers
Fuelmoto FLH E Series Mufflers - 14 discs

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »

As already stated, there is no such thing as "auto-tune". A more accurate name would be "auto-adjust" but if they were named "auto-adjust", they likely wouldn't sell much of their product because it doesn't sound as appealing as "auto-tune". In many cases we see when bikes with "auto-tune" come in for a good tune, we find the bike has been auto-adjusted to be "fat and retarded".  ;D
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »

As already stated, there is no such thing as "auto-tune". A more accurate name would be "auto-adjust" but if they were named "auto-adjust", they likely wouldn't sell much of their product because it doesn't sound as appealing as "auto-tune". In many cases we see when bikes with "auto-tune" come in for a good tune, we find the bike has been auto-adjusted to be "fat and retarded".  ;D

This is my first Powervision......will try the "auto adjust" feature in the spring. I got a true dual map from Fuel Moto and we will see how close it got. If not...then to the dyno it goes!

Hilly13

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 02:04:33 AM »

Now that was well put lol

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »

I bought into the hype from Thundermax on my '07 SEUC. Found out the hard way that it didn't live up to their marketing. The unit I had replaced the OEM ECM completely. Evidently they didn't have all the circuitry worked out right then, can't speak for the current versions. Sometimes my gauges would blank out or become erratic, sometimes the idles speed would not drop below 2000 RPM then at other times it would barely lope enough to keep running. I had downloaded a map made they had for the 110 but really didn't see any performance gains over the stock ECM. Shortly after I traded that bike the service manager at the dealership called asking about weird electrical issues. I suggested they remove the Thundermax and re-install the Delphi which I had left with the bike, problems went away after they did that. YMMV.  :-\

The '13 SEUC has TTS and a great tune, couldn't be happier with the way it runs. Huge improvement over the stock tune, no decell popping, less heat, and much smoother power band.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »

I prefer people to work on my bike. Computers or programs can not think outside the box. I never said an auto tune would not work just I prefer the other.

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 07:18:40 AM »

one of the reasons I was interested in auto tune was the changes the box made with the oxygen sensors for evaluation and temps as the season changes I ride in different parts of the country.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.