Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: Medical issues that impair or restrict your riding?  (Read 14105 times)

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

Re: Medical issues that impair or restrict your riding?
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »

I learned decades ago (actually it was the 1st thing they taught us at police motor school), that if the bike is falling over at slow speed, or a stand still, to step off and away from the bike. Literally let go of the bars and step away from the bike so you don't get trapped under it. Hopefully you have crash bars, but let the bike take the damage, not you. It's a hard thing to instill in people, especially old timers with high dollar bikes. But the bike is easily repairable, the rider not so. At age 50 plus something, I would rather the bike be in the shop for 6 weeks getting paint and chrome, than I be down 6 months getting joints replaced and soft tissue repaired. it's easier to pickup a downed bike and ride away than it is to call a tow truck while you're being wheeled into an ambulance.

But that's just me. Others I'm sure will have their own suggestions.
Thanks for that info Mark.  I will definitly try to make that a practicefull thought when I am out and about.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »

I learned decades ago (actually it was the 1st thing they taught us at police motor school), that if the bike is falling over at slow speed, or a stand still, to step off and away from the bike. Literally let go of the bars and step away from the bike so you don't get trapped under it. Hopefully you have crash bars, but let the bike take the damage, not you. It's a hard thing to instill in people, especially old timers with high dollar bikes. But the bike is easily repairable, the rider not so. At age 50 plus something, I would rather the bike be in the shop for 6 weeks getting paint and chrome, than I be down 6 months getting joints replaced and soft tissue repaired. it's easier to pickup a downed bike and ride away than it is to call a tow truck while you're being wheeled into an ambulance.

Great advise! Just have to plant it in our brains..it's counter intuitive..but just have to let it go..

Thank you..

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »

Damn, that's ugly Jeff.  Sorry man.  How mobile are you and how much does it hurt?  Hope it heals fast.

Some details

about 1 1/2 years ago I was coming up to a stop and it was on a bank to the left.

I looked left clear, looked right clear (rolling stop 1st mistake), I started to turn left and low and behold a car coming fast from the left.
I jammed front brake on (hand faster than foot) and bike starting to fall left due to the wheel turned left.
I stomped my left foot down and caught the bike but heard an audible crack.

I did not go down, but I really thought I sprained it pretty good. I walked on it for almost 18 months and was getting worse.

Arthritis developed in the ankle and my ligaments were tore up so the ankle collapsed. The choice was either deal with a prostetic device the rest of my life or
have a Ankle arthrodesis surgery. I had the surgery.

Amazing enough the Pain was not my biggest concern, getting around just for basic survival was by far the hardest.
No weight on foot at all for 6 - 8 weeks.

just basic bathroom duties was near impossible. (thank god my wife was a big help)

I am fine and on the right road and will be riding again in no time.

PS it is a lot easier to just drop the bike when it is not yours and not a CVO.  I would not have a second thought in dropping a police bike.
 I do have crash bars, but the angle was steep enough that the bars would not have kept it from going over completely.
I am not completely sure what I would do if faced with the same situation now. My head says let it go, my reactions tell me to save it.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »

That is the smart thing to do, but not natural
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »

Save your A$$ and let the bike go. I know it is hard to do but contrary to popular belief, bikes don't have feelings.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »

Save your A$$ and let the bike go. I know it is hard to do but contrary to popular belief, bikes don't have feelings.
Mike
 :drink:

X2   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »

Holy chit, I've been telling everyone to through their body under the bike..."The meat grows back, but those Harley parts are expensive".

Just kidding Mark, really.  :P

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »

Holy chit, I've been telling everyone to through their body under the bike..."The meat grows back, but those Harley parts are expensive".

MEAT DOES GROW BACK.......... AND NO MATTER WHAT, WATERING HARLEY PARTS DOES NOT MAKE THEM GROW

Formally FLHTCUSE3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »

It's not a natural thing to let a bike drop intentionally. I see it every week teaching as the riders, astride one of my training bikes struggle to step off and away and let the bike fall. I see the do strange things, like step off and away while still holding onto the bars expecting providence, the hand of God to up right the bike.

But like a snapping head turn it can be learned.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2012, 09:16:02 PM »

Back surgery twice, 87 @ 35 and 99 @ 47 when they fused L4-L5, diabeties in 04, heart attack in 06, cartlidge in left knee since forever and just plain ole gettin old has made it harder to ride.
I no longer care if people make fun of my trailer. We ride where and how long we can then stop if necessary. We tow when we go far and ride when we get there.
It is just the way things are, I love to ride and do what I have to in order to allow that, if it means riding in the SUV to an event so I can ride the back roads around Sturgis when I get there, then that is the way it is.
But I hate it when folks get to the place they have to give it up. I know that time is coming for all of us, just fight it as long as possible before that date.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.