Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Zumo 660 what do you think?  (Read 2791 times)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
Zumo 660 what do you think?
« on: October 22, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »

Hey all, I'm thinking of getting the Zumo 660, I have the 550 on my other bike; or should I say the bike my wife took. I think it was a fair trade, 06 ultra for 09 CVO ultra. :2vrolijk_21: Anyway, any thoughts on the Zumo 660 or the 550? and where has the best price for one?

Thanks
Trey

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Zumo 660 what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »

I liking my 660 more and more. I actually find I use it in my truck, instead of the GM navigation hunk of crap that's using ancient maps.

As with anything, I wish there we a few things different, and if you read the Zumo thread, you can read them all, but I've completely gone from thinking they were dumb for a bike, to them being a pretty worthwhile thing to have. Naturally, if you had the 550, you know all that, but I can't help much on the differences between the two.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:46:59 PM »

thanks

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »

I've got a Road Tech Zumo 660 that I bought through Tri-Cities HD for 599.96 (20% off).  It's probably the best performing GPS I have, and this includes a Garmin 2610,  Road Tech Conquest, Magellan 4250, built in GPS in my Honda Accord and in my Dodge Pickup, and the wonderful HD Harmon Kardon GPS module in my SEUC.  It's easy to use, very fast on re-routing and tracking, locks on to the satellites the quickest of all my GPS units.  Touch screen is very responsive and accurate.  The main thing I don't like, and it has nothing to do with the actual unit itself, is the fact the motorcycle mount has to stay on the bike because the power/audio out/traffic antenna cord is permanently attached to the cradle, so you can't take the mount off of the bike.  This can be over come if you're brave enought to put in a weather proof connector inline.  I'm leaving mine permanently mounted on the SESG.  I bought a really nice handle bar control mount from a small Minnesota company called Leader Motorcyle that produces a nice chrome unit along with an extra piece called the "ultra tilt".   Very happy with how the mount looks and works.  I can adjust the GPS to my liking for viewing.  

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »

I've got a Road Tech Zumo 660 that I bought through Tri-Cities HD for 599.96 (20% off).  It's probably the best performing GPS I have, and this includes a Garmin 2610,  Road Tech Conquest, Magellan 4250, built in GPS in my Honda Accord and in my Dodge Pickup, and the wonderful HD Harmon Kardon GPS module in my SEUC.  It's easy to use, very fast on re-routing and tracking, locks on to the satellites the quickest of all my GPS units.  Touch screen is very responsive and accurate.  The main thing I don't like, and it has nothing to do with the actual unit itself, is the fact the motorcycle mount has to stay on the bike because the power/audio out/traffic antenna cord is permanently attached to the cradle, so you can't take the mount off of the bike.  This can be over come if you're brave enought to put in a weather proof connector inline.  I'm leaving mine permanently mounted on the SESG.  I bought a really nice handle bar control mount from a small Minnesota company called Leader Motorcyle that produces a nice chrome unit along with an extra piece called the "ultra tilt".   Very happy with how the mount looks and works.  I can adjust the GPS to my liking for viewing.  

Can you post a pic of that mount installed on the bike. I am going to buy the 660 and need a nice handlebar mount. And I am going to be brave enough to put the weatherproof connector insline so I can remove it when it is not in use.  I am going for 5 wire--power, ground and 3 wires for the left and right speaker output for the MP3 player.

http://store.jbn-duraline.com/duraline_multipin_plugsandconnectors_5wire.htm

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »

Can you post a pic of that mount installed on the bike. I am going to buy the 660 and need a nice handlebar mount. And I am going to be brave enough to put the weatherproof connector insline so I can remove it when it is not in use.  I am going for 5 wire--power, ground and 3 wires for the left and right speaker output for the MP3 player.

http://store.jbn-duraline.com/duraline_multipin_plugsandconnectors_5wire.htm
I'll get some pics of the mount tomorrow or Saturday and post them here.  For what you get, it's very reasonably priced.  I paid $99 for the complete mount with tilt.

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »

First GPS I have owned and I love it! Still learning the ropes but glad I purchased. It is also the HD version that  I purchased from Jenni at Tri-County Harley for 20% off.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
       Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »

I would love to see the mount too
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 12:57:45 AM »

me three!!   :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 01:16:46 AM »

Heatweave had a mount that was pretty nice also with pics. as far as the connection; you can't just use the Aux plug in the aux port? Then have the pwr supply to the battery? isn't considered weather proof? Thanks Devil, did you have to get handle bar mount cradle or is every thing in the box? I like the tri county price. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:25:50 AM by Trey767 »

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 07:56:51 AM »

This review of the 550 and 660 is helpfull. It's about half way down the page, just look for:
10 Reasons the 660 doesn't compare favorably to the Zumo 550 at

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Portable-Motorcycle-Navigator/dp/B001OMGVMY

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 08:18:38 AM »

I've got a Road Tech Zumo 660 that I bought through Tri-Cities HD for 599.96 (20% off).  It's probably the best performing GPS I have, and this includes a Garmin 2610,  Road Tech Conquest, Magellan 4250, built in GPS in my Honda Accord and in my Dodge Pickup, and the wonderful HD Harmon Kardon GPS module in my SEUC.  It's easy to use, very fast on re-routing and tracking, locks on to the satellites the quickest of all my GPS units.  Touch screen is very responsive and accurate.  The main thing I don't like, and it has nothing to do with the actual unit itself, is the fact the motorcycle mount has to stay on the bike because the power/audio out/traffic antenna cord is permanently attached to the cradle, so you can't take the mount off of the bike.  This can be over come if you're brave enought to put in a weather proof connector inline.

Agree almost word for word.  I have had fewer units, the most recent being a 276C.  I miss a bit of the flexibility it offered, but the 660 is a better GPS for the bike.  I have it mounted on a RAM mount on the bike, and am concerned about how I take the unit along for afly and ride trip?  I haven't had a 550 for comparison, sorry.
Big Lew
IBA #595

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 09:13:15 AM »

:drink: :drink:

I have both and the 660 is an overall a better solution, especially if you have no need for the XM Radio feature.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »

:drink: :drink:

I have both and the 660 is an overall a better solution, especially if you have no need for the XM Radio feature.

:coolblue: :coolblue:

Exactly the info I was looking for.....thanks

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 09:57:38 AM »

Here's a great review by someone who's used both

http://hdforums.com/forum/5074642-post15.html
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.