Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: difference in performance from Hog Tunes to Hawg Wired?  (Read 9447 times)

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
difference in performance from Hog Tunes to Hawg Wired?
« on: February 22, 2007, 03:42:18 PM »

Does anyone know the difference between the 110 dollar Hawg wired speakers and the comparable priced Hog tunes...is one better than the other?

I am going to buy a set for my 2004 SEEG.  Which ones are best?

Stock radio in my CVO.

Thanks

LeRoy. 

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
Re: difference in performance from Hog Tunes to Hawg Wired?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 06:13:34 PM »

Hi LeRoy

Here is the thread I suggest you review.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php/topic,3855.0.html

I am sure if you do the search you will find loans of info regarding Hawg Wired products. Its quite popular choice among the members.

Finally you can discuss the matter with hd-dude who is a distributor for Hawg Wired and has lots of experience to share.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:32:01 PM »

Leroy;
The review compared the BT series speakers to the Hogtunes speakers. Both are comparable. Since that review was done Hawg-wired has come out witha component series speaker (CX Series). These speakers retail for $229 and are far superior to both of the others. Many have upgraded to the CX series with great results.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 11:35:32 PM »

Ok the component speaker sound like a deal, but if I leave my radio stock (2004 CVO) and do not add the amp are the component speakers ...  1. compatable ohm wise ?  and 2. worth it.  or should I just get the 110 dollar ones?

Thanks

LeRoy. 

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 11:45:38 PM »

Ok the component speaker sound like a deal, but if I leave my radio stock (2004 CVO) and do not add the amp are the component speakers ...  1. compatable ohm wise ?  and 2. worth it.  or should I just get the 110 dollar ones?

Thanks

LeRoy. 

The CVO radio has an added amp in it so it will run the component speakers fine (i would not use them in a standard radio). The CVO radios use a 4 ohm output so they are matched for them. Worth it, In my (biased) opinion yes. (i am a dealer for them). Get some feed back from some of the other members that have changed from the BT series to the CX series, Twolane, and Erniezap are a couple that come to mind........

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 01:44:05 AM »

The CVO radio has an added amp in it so it will run the component speakers fine (i would not use them in a standard radio). The CVO radios use a 4 ohm output so they are matched for them. Worth it, In my (biased) opinion yes. (i am a dealer for them). Get some feed back from some of the other members that have changed from the BT series to the CX series, Twolane, and Erniezap are a couple that come to mind........

A very rudimentary analysis.  The HW and HT "standard" speakers are both so incredibly better than stock.  You'll not expect the difference.  Either make the stock radio actually functional riding at highway speed. 

Between the two I never felt I saw significant difference in output capability.  Discussions with others who had made the comparison seemed to suggest pretty much the same thing.  The HW speakers give at least the visual impression of perhaps slightly better manufacture.  The HT probably had a slightly stronger bass.  The HW had a sharper and clearer midrange and everything up from there.  But really not significant differences between them.

Both did a bang for the buck very good job.  No complaints either way.  You'll put them in and think "wow, the radio is finally good.  It really can't get any better than what these speakers make it do."  Then if you put in the component speakers you'll find out it can.  You will simply hear things and ranges that just weren't there before.  You never missed them or thought they were bad because you just didn't hear them.  It's a startling difference.

I had the HTs in for a year or so.  Got the HWs are part of the amp package and they were in six months or so.  All the prior speakers sold on ebay for enough to get the component speakers when they came out.  Getting to experience the differnces was interesting.  But glad I ended up with the ones I did.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »

Thanks both of you..I will, have to make the call if I want to spend the difference between the CX and the other ones.
 Is 230 bucks the best price right now?

LeRoy,

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 10:00:12 PM »

Thanks both of you..I will, have to make the call if I want to spend the difference between the CX and the other ones.
 Is 230 bucks the best price right now?

LeRoy,

Leroy;
The CX speakers were 249 for the last year. Hawg-wired recently lowered thier prices on them to 229, Site members get 10% off that.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 12:57:53 AM »

Hey Jim, I looked at your web page. I need some clarification. For my SEUC will I need just the 2 fairing speakers or a total of 4? What goes in the back?
Is the $229 for 2 speakers? Do I need to replace the rears or are they adequate? Which way do I go if I don't want to replace the amp?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »

Hey Jim, I looked at your web page. I need some clarification. For my SEUC will I need just the 2 fairing speakers or a total of 4? What goes in the back?
Is the $229 for 2 speakers? Do I need to replace the rears or are they adequate? Which way do I go if I don't want to replace the amp?

You will need 2 sets of speakers, one for the front and one for the rear. I recommend the CX for the front and the BT for the rear as the CX will not fit. You would also get the 4 channel amp. If you don't replace the amp you will not be able to use the current offerings from HW. They are 4 ohm speakers and the factory uses 2 ohm speakers. HW is working on some 2 ohm units. All speaker pricing is per pair. (My website has not been updated to reflect the new pricing from HW.)

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 12:38:22 PM »

Leroy;
The CX speakers were 249 for the last year. Hawg-wired recently lowered thier prices on them to 229, Site members get 10% off that.

HD -Dude can you give me the exact part number and total price for me being a member --I want to order the CX's for my 2004 SEEG.  CVO.  Thanks a bunch...should I just order them from the Hawg Wired website? Is that your Website?

LeRoy.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 02:49:32 PM »

HD -Dude can you give me the exact part number and total price for me being a member --I want to order the CX's for my 2004 SEEG.  CVO.  Thanks a bunch...should I just order them from the Hawg Wired website? Is that your Website?

LeRoy.

Leroy, you have a PM, and the HW website is not mine, I am a dealer for them. They do not offer a discount if you order through them.....

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 03:19:52 PM »

You will need 2 sets of speakers, one for the front and one for the rear. I recommend the CX for the front and the BT for the rear as the CX will not fit. You would also get the 4 channel amp. If you don't replace the amp you will not be able to use the current offerings from HW. They are 4 ohm speakers and the factory uses 2 ohm speakers. HW is working on some 2 ohm units. All speaker pricing is per pair. (My website has not been updated to reflect the new pricing from HW.)

H-D dude please let me know when the 2 ohm speakers are available
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 05:21:09 PM »

HD-Dude, now that I ordered the CX's what do the crossovers do? and do you have a picture of someone with the fairing open to show the mount locations.

Thanks,

LeRoy.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 06:23:36 PM »

HD-Dude, now that I ordered the CX's what do the crossovers do? and do you have a picture of someone with the fairing open to show the mount locations.

Thanks,

LeRoy.

Leroy;
The crossover splits the audio frequencies to the woofer and tweeter (highs to the tweeter and mids and lows to the woofer.

Here is a pic of it mounted in the fairing. It comes with velcro to mount it with as well. You do not need to mount it in any specific place, just whever it will fit with reach of the wires. You have the number if you have any questions on the install.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.