Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Clutch engages when lever is 90% extended .... way too late.  (Read 62198 times)

FullBagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide

Does anyone else have a clutch that does not engage until the clutch lever is nearly 90% released.
The different "engage" position is not necessarily a problem. The problem is that I have to feather the clutch because that last little bit is very touchy. Once it begins to engage, if I release it even a hair more, it grabs and yanks the bike forward. Not horrible if I'm on top of it but a lot more than it would if the engage point was dead center the arch.
I know, I know, they are all different. But ...... it's not my first bike. This is also my second H-D with a hydraulic clutch. Last one was a 2014 Ultra Limited.

Example: Slow right hand turn. Release the clutch a hair more and then it yanks me into oncoming traffic or ....... even better, pull in the clutch lever to stay in my lane and lay her over. :oops:
Before anyone says it .... use the rear brake ...... right?  :nixweiss:
Straight ahead take offs  ..... who cares? Just a little jerky.

I've been told that there are no adjustments to this clutch. If that is the case, how could it be so different than any other HD with a hydraulic clutch I've ridden? (6 now not including testing new ones on the showroom floors at dealerships. All hydraulic.). I even rented twice on vacation. One 14 and one 15. I am even more careful when testing the clutch position on other bikes I ride because mine is so far out of center. Never had to give it much thought before.

Ok, that's my story. I'm reaching out to see if I have a one of a kind or what.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:03:05 PM by mongenix »
HD bikes are like a box of chocolates (you fill in the rest)
2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
2014 Electra Glide Limited
2012 Electra Glide Limited
2010 Heritage Softail
Until 2010 = Raising my kids

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Clutch engages when lever is 90% extended .... way too late.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 04:45:14 PM »

It shouldn't be that way.  The trick will be for you to find a shop that will take your complaint seriously and look for the problem, as opposed to the usual response of "they all do that", or "it's supposed to be like that", or similar BS.  You could contact H-D Customer Service, but that seems to be a real crapshoot as well, depending on if you get someone who actually knows anything versus the ones who just repeat the same silly crap the dealerships tell people.

What kind of miles do you have on the bike, and what are you using for primary fluid?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »

Does anyone else have a clutch that does not engage until the clutch lever is nearly 90% released.
The different "engage" position is not necessarily a problem. The problem is that I have to feather the clutch because that last little bit is very touchy. Once it begins to engage, if I release it even a hair more, it grabs and yanks the bike forward. Not horrible if I'm on top of it but a lot more than it would if the engage point was dead center the arch.
I know, I know, they are all different. But ...... it's not my first bike. This is also my second H-D with a hydraulic clutch. Last one was a 2014 Ultra Limited.

Example: Slow right hand turn. Release the clutch a hair more and then it yanks me into oncoming traffic or ....... even better, pull in the clutch lever to stay in my lane and lay her over. :oops:
Before anyone says it .... use the rear brake ...... right?  :nixweiss:
Straight ahead take offs  ..... who cares? Just a little jerky.

I've been told that there are no adjustments to this clutch. If that is the case, how could it be so different than any other HD with a hydraulic clutch I've ridden? (6 now not including testing new ones on the showroom floors at dealerships. All hydraulic.). I even rented twice on vacation. One 14 and one 15. I am even more careful when testing the clutch position on other bikes I ride because mine is so far out of center. Never had to give it much thought before.

Ok, that's my story. I'm reaching out to see if I have a one of a kind or what.
Bleed the clutch

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »

Bleed the clutch, like Redmoon stated. 

I changed the fluid in mine lately and did not get it bled enough the first time and it was doing that, got it right the next time.

FullBagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »

Thank you grc, chaos901 and redmoon!
I have just rolled over 5200 miles. Dealership did nothing to address the problem. Said they did not notice a problem. Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot! How could you not notice? Just going through the motions of doing the 5K I guess.
If bleeding the clutch is all it is, Ill be much happier with the bike. Heck, I even started looking for aftermarket clutch systems for the bike. Imagine that, a new 15CVO and the owner is looking at a replacement clutch system. If potential buyers are reading this, know what you are getting into before you buy. I'm not saying I hate the bike or anything. Just read more posts and make your own decision about if you want to get into bed with HD (The Motor Company).
I called HD Customer Care and they told me, "The factory technician said there are no adjustments and there is no standard or range that the clutch should engage so there is nothing HD can do". Not an exact quote but close enough.
I got what I expected for a 40K bike. They did listen but did nothing.
You listened read and gave me a suggestion based on experience.
Have you been riding bikes for over 100 years? That's how long HD has been building them. Think they may have suggested that? Or maybe even the dealer would have tried it.
I'll bleed them and see if that cures the problem. Keep you posted and thanks again!
2010 Heritage Softail

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »

The isn't the first clutch engagement complaint we've heard about... Hope bleeding squares it away because apparently there is little that can be done otherwise.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 02:03:50 PM »

Considering how the system works, if you had air in the system the release and engagement points would be closer to the grip, not out at the other extreme.  That used to be a major problem, since H-D didn't bleed the system worth chit at the factory when the CVO's were assembled off-line.  I had to bleed mine as soon as I got home from picking up my 2005, since the clutch barely released and it was almost impossible to shift gears.  (Fine quality and equally fine prep by the dealer, and just the first of too many problems to go into right now.)

By all means go ahead and bleed the system, just in case.  Also, make sure your bike isn't involved in the clutch master cylinder recalls.  They've had three so far.

I would still check the primary fluid level and make certain it isn't overfilled.  If you had the dealer do the 5k service instead of doing it yourself, never assume they did it correctly.  If all else fails, look for a good mechanic somewhere who actually knows something about clutches and have him check it out.  There are many things that can cause the grabby engagement and improper engagement point, and the fact that the system isn't adjustable like a cable version doesn't have a thing to do with it. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 02:48:08 PM »

:confused5:
"Example: Slow right hand turn. Release the clutch a hair more and then it yanks me into oncoming traffic or ....... even better, pull in the clutch lever to stay in my lane and lay her over. :oops: "

I'll first say that having a clutch lever that engages way late,  (in a car or on the bike) can be a real pain.........hope the suggestions offered help t resolve it.

Meantime, (especially.......knowing that the clutch does what it does),  I'm clueless as to why you would be even grabbing the damn clutch lever in the middle of a slow turn and/or to (stay in your lane). :nixweiss:

Either there is something in the way you're describing your clutch problems (when they occur),  or your riding "style" and when you decide to be going for the clutch lever...........are kinda different from mine. :-\ 

FullBagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »

Hope this brings some clarity. It's funny how I can read what I wrote and it makes perfect sense but sounds absurd to others.
Not during a slow turn, but just starting to take off on a tight turn. (Right hand onto adjoining road, U-Turn, etc.) Because it is a tight turn, I said slow. Wrong choice of descriptive words.
Based on how I described the problem, I see why you asked in no uncertain terms ...... "Why would you ever do that?"

I hope it fixes the problem too.
Thanks for your input.
2010 Heritage Softail

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 10:22:20 PM »

You have a master cylinder problem or something. If the system had air the release would be closer, not further out. I am on my 3rd HD hydraulic bike and I love them. They all have released a little further out than the average cable system but after 5 -10 miles you get used to it an all is good. My current 15 is great and I know of two more here local that also are fine.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 08:43:40 AM »

Oh, btw, I forgot to add in my earlier post the simplest of all items to check.  Check the master cylinder reservoir fluid level.  Too much fluid in the reservoir could also cause your problem, since the actuator can't return to it's fully released position if the reservoir is full.  That would move the release and engagement points further away from the grip, eventually to the point of the clutch slipping.

Jerry

FullBagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »

Thanks for all of the input!
CVODON: This is the second I've owned (Loved the first clutch) and this one is not just a little far out, it engages way the heck out.
grc: Thanks for your follow-up. I can read from your tone that you are as frustrated with HD quality a I am. It may be the last new HD for me. I hate to say this but HD needs some real competition to get the chit together. Quality control is so bad, I'm surprised they can stay in business. Then again, they made it through AMF.

I'll start asking around for a good mechanic that does not work for HD if bleeding the system does not work. I'll go ahead and bleed the system anyway just to check that off the list. Doesn't make sense to me but what the heck. At this point I'll try anything .... well almost.
2010 Heritage Softail

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 02:31:50 PM »

HD has had recalls on the clutch assembly but I don't know if that impacts your model.  The fluid level can be checked by looking through the check glass just to make sure it is not too high or to low. If this was my bike I would make the dealer fix it!

FullBagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 04:45:48 PM »

RonandJanet:
Thanks. Have an appointment on Saturday to bleed the lines.
During the 5K the dealer said "I didn't notice a problem". Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot! are you kidding?
Good or Bad, mine is not on the recall list.

Just had a buddy ride it. The first words out of his mouth was, "And they said they didn't see a problem?". Normally a dealership's idea of a problem, car or bike, is only if it is broke.  Technically, the clutch works.

Even though I have 5200 miles on it, I am still expecting the clutch to engage at a certain (normal) point. Once in a while, I pull the clutch back in to make sure I am in gear because I forgot that the clutch extends so far before engaging. If it weren't hydraulic, I'd be adjusting the cable a long time ago.
2010 Heritage Softail

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 10:42:43 PM »

Not sure why everyone thinks dealer techs should know a problem. Most of them are self taught, they do not own high end bikes (or cars) and ride a dozen different bikes a day that have cable clutches adjusted every which way and hydraulic ones that release further out as a rule, so one a little further out... why would that set off a bulb for them. Also they only get paid to do or repair whatever they are assigned the bike for, diag work does not pay unless authorized and they are working for a living.
Anyone who has ever worked at a car/boat/bike dealer know the public is a pain and wants eveything for free and gradually over time you quit caring and only do what you have to to get by. Not good but the way it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 24 queries.