CVO Technical > Electronic Toys and Gadgets

CB problem - help needed

(1/4) > >>

ultrafxr:
Helping friend troubleshoot CB problem on his 2011 CVO Road Glide, FLHTRUSE, and we’re stumped.  Problem:  when transmitting there is a squeal noticeable to him as the rider and to those who are receiving his transmission.  Only does this when engine running  - sometimes at idle, sometimes not.  But when riding the intensity of the squeal varies with engine rpm – higher rmp = more squeal.  I thought it was some kind of electrical interference.  Here’s what we’ve checked and done:

Checked all connections to be secure and not corroded – all ok.
Replaced CB module with used one procured from Fallen Cycles – no effect.
Changed spark plugs and spark plug wires – no effect.
Run a ground wire from the CB module mounting screw to the bike’s frame.
Switched helmet headsets and cables - no effect.

None of the above have made any improvement to the problem.  We’ve considered the PTT switch itself or even the wiring and wonder if there is a way to check these before going any further.

Suggestions appreciated.

JoeVibe:
Have you checked the antenna cable for damage?

RivRaptor:
The stator / charging system is wear I would start.  Also make sure battery is in good shape and fully charged while holding charge properly.  I would also try to run the bike if possible with the charging system disabled to isolate the problem / different battery.  I have seen noise issues with many vehicles due to these issues although I am not real familiar with the HD system.

ultrafxr:

--- Quote from: JoeVibe on March 16, 2024, 12:18:23 PM ---Have you checked the antenna cable for damage?

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  Good suggestion.
Have checked as much as we can see without tearing into things.  Swapped antenna but no change.  May pull tank, seat, etc., and look further at cable.

ultrafxr:

--- Quote from: RivRaptor on March 16, 2024, 01:12:30 PM ---The stator / charging system is wear I would start.  Also make sure battery is in good shape and fully charged while holding charge properly.  I would also try to run the bike if possible with the charging system disabled to isolate the problem / different battery.  I have seen noise issues with many vehicles due to these issues although I am not real familiar with the HD system.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  I thought about the stator but it is charging normally and no issues or faults that we can detect.  Wonder if H-D's digital technician could detect any problems there. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version