Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How much oil does it take for an oil change?  (Read 27267 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: How much oil does it take for an oil change?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »

You changing the oil w/ the bike on a jack or leaned over on the kick stand?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 08:41:05 PM »

Your level will be distorted if not leaned fully to the side... we can check but we don't know how far off the mark yours is.

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 12:03:45 AM »

Murphy,
Right now my dipstick level reads exactly at the full mark, when the bike is on the jiffy stand and the oil is up to operating temperature. If my bike is not leaning over far enough due to the different jiffy stand, I am probably getting a bad reading. If you have your oil level at the full mark and you checked it at operating temperature on your stock jiffy stand, our dipsticks should have the same reading when both bikes are stood up straight. For example if your reading is 3/4" below full when the bike is upright and mine reads 1 1/2" below full, I would add enough oil to bring it to 3/4" below full to match your reading. Then I could lean it over onto the jiffy stand and see what the dip stick reads and consider that my actual full mark.
Hopefully that makes some sense. Another possibility is my dip stick is incorrect.
Thanks,
Tom

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 12:08:14 AM »

Take a picture of your dipstick with a tape measure next to it.  Someone else with a Softail can do the same.  Then you'll know if it's that simple or if you have more to be concerned about.

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »

I attached a picture of the dip stick that was with my 2005 SE Fat Boy when I bought it.
I measured from the bottom of the rubber gasket that nests against the oil tank filler neck to the top of the fill mark.  It was just shy of 3 1/2".  I would think my current dipstick would have to be about an inch too long, for me to get a full reading with just 2 1/2 qts. of oil.  I am the second owner so it is possible that this is not the original dip stick.

Could someone that adds approximately 3 1/2 qts of oil to their 2005 SE Fat Boy, when they change oil, please measure their dipstick from the top of the full mark to the bottom of the rubber gasket that nests against the oil filler neck.
Thanks,
Tom

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 02:56:20 PM »

Still would appreciate it if a 2005 or 2006 SE Fat Boy owner would measure their dipstick and tell me if it is the same as in the photograph from the prior post.
Thanks,
Tom

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 07:29:26 AM »

Tom,

I always put 3 qts of Mobil 1 V-Twin in my 2005 fatboy. I will measure when I get a chance but I am sure the stick it will be the same as yours!
Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 08:54:59 AM »

Aussie,
Thanks for the reply.
I think I may have figured out why my 2005 SE Fat Boy only takes 2-1/2 qts., to bring the level to the full mark, on my dipstick.  I am pretty sure all the 2005 Softails have the same length dipstick, even though the Deluxe and the SE FB  are approximately 1" lower in the rear. That means these 2 models do not lean over as far when on the jiffy stand, resulting in a  false high reading on the dipstick.
Does the MOCO use a shorter jiffy stand on our models to compensate for the rear end being lower?
The original owner of my bike had the extended jiffy stand installed. Which as far as I can tell means that it has the additional piece that extends out so it is easier to access with your heel. I don't think it is suppose to be longer then the stock jiffy stand, but it could be a bit longer, which would further compound the problem.
So my theory is: in order to get a proper reading on the SE dipstick I would have to put a 1" thick board under the rear wheel and  make sure my jiffy stand is the stock length. Then my dipstick will read properly and should show that I am a quart low. 
This problem will not exist on the 2006 SE FAT Boy because it sits an inch higher the the 2005 SE, due to the taller tires.
As minor as this problem is. It has been driving me crazy trying to find a logical reason for it.
Thanks,
Tom

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 11:55:12 AM »

Aussie,
I just shot my theory all to h#ll. Got back from riding. I followed the manual instructions for an oil check. Let it idle for 2 minutes, before shutting engine off (I never did that before). Shut it off. Put it on jiffy stand. Wait 4 minutes to check oil level. It read full. Rolled back tire up on 1" thick piece of wood. Rechecked oil level,while on jiffy stand. Not more then 1/8" difference.
Tom
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 25 queries.