Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you have an engine guard on your SEFB?  (Read 3870 times)

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Do you have an engine guard on your SEFB?
« on: November 02, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »

I am trying to find out which different model engine guards will fit on a 2005 SEFB.
I have read that the Kuryakyn Ergo guard wont fit because of the 2" longer foot boards on the SEFB. The Ergo guard would have been my first choice, since you can get an optional mounting kit to install running lights.
I have also read that a HD Mustache engine guard will fit.
When I look up engine guards, none state if they will work on a SEFB. Even the ad for the Ergo guard doesn't say it wont fit.
It would help me if I knew of any other aftermarket engine guards that would clear the foot boards. My reason for putting on an engine guard is to have a place to install running lights, positioned low and  spread fairly wide apart, to achieve the proper triangular pattern, with the headlight and 2 running lights.
I am hoping that with a better lit up front end, during daylight hours, a better percentage of the cagers will spot me easier and not make left turns in front of me.
Tom

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
Re: Do you have an engine guard on your SEFB?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:41:01 PM »

Put the HD mustache bar [with the footrests on top] on mine. Fitted up no worries.   Liked the look, hated the bar.  Main reason I put it on was to get road pegs; the ones on the SEUC have really spoiled me and I've been trying to put more highway miles on the SEFB.  The road pegs on the top of the mustache were, for me anyway, worthless; my right heel pushed against the top of the brake pedal, and the position was uncomfortable anyway. Rhought it would look really bad to put add on pegs on that bar; personal opinion.....   Took it off and sold it on ebay.
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

billvaughn

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:00:27 PM »

My wife has the Kury ergo bars on her 05 SEFB..They fit fine.......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 10:17:28 PM »

Another to consider would be Lindby.  They make some nice looking crash bars (as crash bars go) and even have some new models with integrated pegs.

www.lindbycustom.com

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 11:59:15 PM »

My wife has the Kury ergo bars on her 05 SEFB..They fit fine.......

I thought I had read, on one of the forum,s that the Kury Eurgo bars would not clear the SE Fat Boy, extended floor boards. They are the ones I was originally interested in. I would also get the optional running light mounts that go on below the foot rests, on the under side of the bar. Would it be possible to post a picture of your wifes bike?
Thanks for the information,
Tom

MikeD

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 07:41:19 AM »

I had the HD mustache guard on mine and imo  it looks better.  The bars look bigger and fit the bike no problem.

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 08:34:40 AM »

I had the HD mustache guard on mine and imo  it looks better.  The bars look bigger and fit the bike no problem.

The reason I want to put engine guards on is to have a lower area, to mount running lights. I would like to have the combination of the head light and the running lights form a triangle. This is suppose to be the best setup for making the bike more visible to cagers coming toward you that intend on making left turns.
I have been looking into the Mustache bars. HD says their auxiliary lights wont fit on them. I was going to pull off the rubber foot rests and attaching the lights below that area.
Tom

dagbre

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 SEFB
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 11:43:19 AM »

I put on the moustache, along with extended hiway peg mounts with aileron pegs. Together they give a great comfortable position for me, as i'm 6 ft 7.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:51:34 AM by dagbre »
Måteleg klok kvar mann vere ovklok vere han ikkje for sjeldan er hugnad i hjarta å finna hjå honom som ovklok er!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »

I put on the moustache, along with extended hiway peg mounts with aileron pegs. Together the gice a great comfortable psistion for me, as i'm 6 ft 7.

Nice lookin' set up and looks comfortable too.

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 02:50:22 AM »

I am going with the ergo gaurd. Had it on my Heritage and want it on my fatboy. I don't see any problems, I matched one up with the mounting location last time I was at the stealer.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »

I am going with the ergo gaurd. Had it on my Heritage and want it on my fatboy. I don't see any problems, I matched one up with the mounting location last time I was at the stealer.

Did you put the Ergo guard on your bike?
Tom

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 03:52:12 AM »

Did you ever install your running lights?  If the bars are only for light mounts, did you consider mounting running lights near the nacelle?  How about the dual or modulating headlight option?  This may get a cagers attention more.

There is probably is a cost difference to consider with these options.  For me, it would be a cleaner, stealthier look.

Most of the cagers that have tried to take me out would not have even noticed a tank.  If you are like me you probably have a tendency to ride very fast on your SEFB.  I hate to say it, but that sometimes can be a big part of the problem 

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 05:57:20 PM »

No I haven't added the lights or put an engine guard on. I've been only thinking about it for 2-1/2 years, so I don't want to rush myself. I did finally change my exhaust from the outrageously loud Samson, Rip Saws (they don't come with any baffles) to a Fat Cat, with the quiet baffle.
Years ago I  had a police bike approach me from behind on a highway, during the day time.
He had his running lights mounted toward the bottom of the engine guard. This with his headlight, made the ideal triangular light pattern. I could see him from way back behind, well over a mile and thought that's the setup I need.
Tom

FlatoutKrazy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »

I just ordered the ERGO bar with the light kit, a couple of silver bullet lights and some new mirrors yesterday. Once I get em in and on I will post some pics
2010 CVO Conv.
V+H True Duals + SERT
SE Pro Heavy Breather Intake
Detachable mid low Sissy bar
Lepera Maverick seat W/ orange flame stitching
 HD Flush Mount L.E.D. Fuel Guage and Cap
AUX. Lighting kit
Kuryakyn Ergo Bar W/ Driving lights

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 10:07:59 PM »

I just ordered the ERGO bar with the light kit, a couple of silver bullet lights and some new mirrors yesterday. Once I get em in and on I will post some pics

I will be looking forward to the pictures.
Thanks
Tom

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.