Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: "HOW TO" supply the 6B connector on the SESG2 for XM and NIM and "probably" CB  (Read 16204 times)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

EDIT:  As originally posted, the information provided below was to provide the 6B connector that was omitted by HD on the SESG2 fairing/interconnect harness that is found on the 2010 SESG and on 2006 through 2011 non-CVO fairing model Touring bikes and allows those bikes to add NIM, XM, Ipod interface, CB and other audio/electronic accessories.  By supplying the omitted 6B connector, SESG2 owners can use the non-Ultra Overlay harness, p/n 70169-06 to add NIM, XM, etc. in the same way that owners of the other fairing model touring models can (assuming there is room inside the fairing for the associated modules for those accessories.) I mistakenly edited that orignal post to refer to connector 6A and TIF2 correctly replied that the part number information provided was incorrect for a 6A connector.  Apologies to TIF2 for creating "work" for him in pointing out my error.    

If you want to add XM or NIM to your SESG2, you'll need the 6B connector that is NOT included in the SESG2 fairing/interconnect harness that is found on the SESG and other non-CVO fairing models (unless you fab your own harness to incorporate the wiring provided by the 6B connector as described below).  Providing the 6B connector is easy to do and, if you check the wiring diagrams supplied below, it's what you need for XM and NIM.

Parts required:

1  Sealed socket housing, p/n 72116-94BK, list $3.99;
1  Secondary Lock for the socket housing, p/n 72156-94, list $.99;
4  Stamped and formed sockets, p/n 72191-94, list $.99 ea.; and,
2  Seal pins, p/n 72195-94, list $.99 ea.

Here's a picture of the socket housing and secondary lock (the orange piece), sockets and seal pins:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/BAMI%20Kit%20Installation/HKCBinstall003.jpg[/img]]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:11:47 AM by Harleypingman »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Connector 6B continued
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:03:23 PM »

The wiring of the 6B connector is per the wiring diagram for a non-CVO Street Glide (and other models) not equipped with XM, CB, etc. and are consistent with the wiring diagrams for XM and NIM.  

The chambers of the socket housing have emobossed/molded numbers and these are the wire assignments and where the wire goes from the 6B connector to the 27A connector (i.e. the large 23 wire plug connected to the back of the HK radio:

1.  V/Gy goes to slot 15 of the 27A connector;
2.  Be/Y goes to slot 2 of the 27A connector;
3.  R/O goes to slot 20 or 10 (either will work) of the 27A connector; and,
6.  Bk/Gn goes to slot 19 or 11 (either will work) of the 27A connector.
4 and 5 are left empty and receive the seal pins.

As shown in the wiring diagrams below, for XM and NIM, you will only need the Red/Orange wire (power) and the Black/Green wire (ground).  Both of those have wires already in the 27A connector so it's simple to splice these.  The other two wires going to slots 15 and 2 have nothing in the 27A connector and aren't needed for the XM or NIM.  You can add them if you like and replicate completely the 6B connector.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:45:16 PM by Harleypingman »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Connector 6B continued
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »

These wiring diagrams are from the 2011 FLTRUSE service manual supplement and nicely show the wiring of the XM and NIM showing the 6A connector of the harness supplied with those accessories and the 6B connector you've provided:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/XMwiringcircuit0001.jpg[/img]]

The NIM:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/Ipodcircuit0002.jpg[/img]]

You'll notice that the only wires from the fabricated 6B connector used by either accessory are the Red/Orange (power) and Black/Green (ground).

Carl
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:46:25 PM by Harleypingman »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:04:20 PM »

Supplying the Violet/Gray wire and the Blue/Yellow wire to slots 2 and 15, respectively, of connector 27A will "probably" allow use of the CB accessory in conjuction with the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06.  According to the non-CVO wiring diagram, slot 2 is for the PTT/mic, and 15 is for "DSCAR switch matrix in (?)"

I'm leaving for Florida in the a.m. and need to finish packing, so I haven't completed the research on those particular wires.

I'm not a tech, but I have fabbed a 6B connector (using the parts and wiring described above, including the V/Gy and Be/Y described here) and associated wiring in the course of installing the HK radio, CB and associated items on my '04 and everything works as intended.

Feel free to supply your own observations and experience.

Carl

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:47:39 PM by Harleypingman »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:43:23 PM »

Supplying the 6B connector described above is in additon to the normal parts required for XM, NIM, CB, etc. The 6B connector described above is simply to provide the missing connector on the SESG2's fairing/interconnect harness.

Since the SESG2 already has a 35 wire connector plugged into the back of the HK radio, adding additional accessories may require removal of the OEM connector, removing the IPOD wires in it, and installing the non-Ultra Overlay harness or the NIM/IPOD alternative harness (p/n 69200033) with the IPOD pins removed from the OEM connector being reinserted in the connector supplied with the NUOH or the 69200033 ; this is how the Ipod interface module sold for bikes other than the SESG2 is done if there is already a 35 wire connector in the back of the radio (e.g. Ultras or bikes with the NUOH already installed).

Carl

EDIT:  The 69200033 harness was added to the above description of removing the OEM 35 wire connector and removing the wires in it to later be reinserted into the 35 wire connector included with the NUOH and 6900033.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:14:27 AM by Harleypingman »

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD

Have a safe ride brother!!

The parts above are for the 6B connector (socket) and not the 6A connector (pin). If 6A is required on the SESG2 then the part numbers will be different. According to the service manual for my SESG2, the symbol for connectors is as follows:

-<      denotes socket connector
<-      denotes pin connector

So in order to create the 6A connector it will be the corresponding connector type to 6B but it will need to be the pin version. However, I don't see that simply supplying power and ground will solve the issue. If you note the diagrams below, the 6A connector comes from the "vehicle audio harness" and 6B comes from the "vehicle interconnect harness". In order for additional accessories (XM, NIM, etc) the CAN + and CAN - signals must be present for the head unit to know that the accessories are there. These signals (as you referenced) are present in both the XM and the NIM diagrams for connector 6B. However, in the SESG2 service manual it shows no connections tied to 6B for CAN (+) and CAN (-). So ... I don't see that additional connectors are needed. The only additional connections required are as follows (all connectors are referenced to SESG2 service manual):

1. Cut the Yel/Orange wire running between connector 28B (position 13) and connector 274B-1 (position 6).
2. Take the YEL/Orange wire on the 28B side to connector 6A on the SESG2, terminate with required pin, and insert into position 4 of connector 6A
3. Install a new Yel/Orange wire terminated with required socket (p/n ref below), insert into position 4 of 6B and run that to the open Yel/Orange wire on connector 274B-1 (already inserted into position 6)
4. Cut the Yel/Violet wire running between connector 28B (position 13) and connector 274B-1 (position 7).
5. Take the YEL/Violet wire on the 28B side to connector 6A on the SESG2, terminate with required pin, and insert into position 5 of connector 6A
6. Install a new Yel/Violet wire terminated with required socket (p/n ref below), insert into position 5 of 6B and run that to the open Yel/Violet wire on connector 274B-1 (already inserted into position 7)

As Carl pointed out above, "Supplying the Violet/Gray wire and the Blue/Yellow wire to slots 2 and 15, respectively, of connector 27A will "probably" allow use of the CB accessory in conjuction with the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06.  According to the non-CVO wiring diagram, slot 2 is for the PTT/mic, and 15 is for "DSCAR switch matrix in (?)". These would need to go to connector 6A position 1 (Violet/Grey) and 6A position 2 (Blue/Yellow) so that they could also be carried through on the 6A/6B path.

All future accessories will now carry a fully functioning 6A/6B path. In the case of the SESG2, the required CAN signals are not carried or supplied via the 6A and 6B connections - they are carried directly to the iPod interface module via connector 274B-1 and 274A-1, These signals need to be present on connector 6A (pin type) for each subsequent accessory module installed. The new accessory will then carry all signals trough on 6B (socket). Reference the NIM install intructions showing all signals carried through on the 6A/6B path. Remember, for each new accessory, the existing 6A/6B connection is de-coupled, and the new accessory is is inserted into the chain. I've attached page 4 of the NIM install showing the 6A/6B path. For reference, we'll call the 6A connector on the right the start of the chain (existing 6A on SESG2). So 6A on SESG2 carries new CAN+ and CAN- signals into 6B of NIM, then 6A of NIM provides CAN+ and CAN- to new wires of 6B on SESG2, which then in turn supplies CAN signals to iPod module via connector 274B-1. Don't let the connections going to 28B confuse you, only look at the signals provided via 6A/6B.

This is one way to skin a cat ... hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:32:31 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD

Here is the wiring diagram of the SESG2 iPod circuit. Without CAN signals being supplied to future accessories the head unit will not see the modules. Note that normally these are supplied via the 6A/6B connector path. For my post above, it may be possible just to splice these signals from the 28B and 274B-1 wires onto the 6B socket connector only, but I would probably provide them on the 6A side as well.

Since all CAN signals are sourced from 28A and therefore are just a bunch of splices, it doesn't really matter how they are supplied to the 6A and 6B connectors. Note that for all circuits referenced from Carl's posts - CAN signals are present (and required) on the 6B connector. They are not available on the SESG2 6B connector and therefore cannot be carried on the 6A/6B connection path.

Hope this helps.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

To confirm TIF2's point about the required CAN + and - wires from the HK radio (connector 27A) to the 6B connector for the Ipod, check out the instructions that come with the wiring harness, p/n 69200033, that is used on non-CVO Street Glides and other bikes without an audio harness/35 wire connector already connected to the HK radio:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/69200033harness10001.jpg[/img]]

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/69200033harness10002.jpg[/img]]

See #3 in the first picture of the instructions which refer to installing the wires in the 6B connector, and #4 for installing the other ends of those wires in slots 13 and 14 of 35 wire connector; also see figure 1 of the second picture, especially item C which is the 6B connector "missing" on the SESG2.  These provide the CAN + and -.

Of course, the SESG2 already has the CAN + and - supplied to the Ipod module via the 35 wire connector (27A) already on the bike.  The example of the 69200033 harness is intended to simply confirm that the CAN + and - can be supplied to the 6B connector as described by TIF2.

Carl

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:22:55 AM by Harleypingman »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

If you choose to install the XM or CB modules, the non-Ultra overlay harness (NUOH), p/n 70169 is used.  It also supplies the CAN + and - from pinouts 13 and 14 of the HK radio directly to those modules via the connectors for those modules on the NUOH without using the 6A/6B path.  Using the NUOH would require removal of the 35 wire connector already installed on the HK radio in the SESG2, and installing the wires from the removed 35 wire connector in the 35 wire connector of the NUOH.  The reinstallation isn't difficult and it's what's done when installing the Ipod accessory on a non-CVO bike when the NUOH is used but with one variation; the variation is that the wires in slots 13 and 14 in the removed 35 wire connector need to be spliced to those same wires in the NUOH 35 wire connector preserving the OEM wiring of the Ipod on the SESG2.

As TIF2 mentioned previously, there are multiple ways to achieve satisfactory wiring of additional accessories that HD "forgot" when it finalized the fairing/interconnect wiring of the SESG2; who'd have thought that an SESG2 owner might want to add XM or NIM or CB to their bike?

Carl

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE

Am I going to have to go to the dealer to have him enable the radio to "see" the XM Module after the install?? I think I read that on here somewhere.....

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06

Am I going to have to go to the dealer to have him enable the radio to "see" the XM Module after the install?? I think I read that on here somewhere.....

Should not have to the CAN Buss will pick it up and it will be active on the radio.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
    Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE

Should not have to the CAN Buss will pick it up and it will be active on the radio.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
    Brad

Great---anything to NOT have to go to the dealer....

Thanks

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

A tech supplied the following wiring solution with part nos. (you'll fab your own harness) which doesn't require the 6B connector and won't require the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169, to install XM or NIM:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/XMonSESG20001.jpg[/img]]

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/XMonSESG20002.jpg[/img]]

As you can see from the above links, the provided information is for adding XM to an SESG2.  A NIM would be highly similar, though the 35 wire connections would be different from those for XM.  The CAN + and -, as well as the power and ground wires would be the same for the NIM.

Carl

iflyb777

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2 yellow & blue
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE Concord
    • CVO3: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black & Orange

I used this wiring on my bike to insall XM works great
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:54:35 AM by iflyb777 »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

I used this wiring on my bike to insall XM works great

Indeed, the tech simply forwarded the email and attachment he'd sent you previously. ;)

Carl
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.