Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Bun Burner GOLD Ride Report  (Read 2859 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
My Bun Burner GOLD Ride Report
« on: August 19, 2018, 11:27:08 PM »

My 1st BBG 1500 – 8/15/18 - Bun Burner Gold - 1500 miles within 24 hours

I’ve ridden about 5 or 6 SS1K (Saddlesore 1000) rides up to now. My first was documented but never submitted. Several of these rides have been in the 20-22 hr. range, for reasons such as mechanical failure, back road routes, and my EggSanity Gold that needed eating time. As a result, I was convinced that I could stay on my bike for up to 24 hrs.

In Preparation - I posted a question about optimal starting times here and got several good ideas about planning and timing. I was also fortunate to get a riding companion, Cliff Orbach, to join me in the ride. Cliff had completed one BBG already, as part of a 50CC ride. We were originally planning a 12:30am start. We aborted this when I could not get myself to sleep before the ride. We rescheduled to 8am the morning of 8/15/18. I have two bikes I use for LD riding. K1600GT and an HD Road Glide. I choose to ride my Harley. Cliff was riding a BMW R1200RT. We both took a spare gallon of gas in our saddlebags, just in case.

A Simple Plan – It was simple (or so they say). We would ride “the slab” starting in Albuquerque, NM, take I-25 South to Las Cruces, NM. Then we’d hit I-10 East through El Paso, TX to Kerrville, TX. Total of 763 miles and then execute a “turn and burn” retracing our steps backward to Albuquerque, NM for a 1527-mile BBG. Google estimated travel time for this route is 21h 16 min. Starting at 8am, we’d get to Las Cruces/El Paso area in about 4 hours. Traffic around noon shouldn’t be too bad.

Learnings – (1) My K1600GT gets around 220 miles on a 7gal tank. It has a bit to spare at that range. I’m a big guy, so running at highway speeds make for a bit of gas guzzling. My HD Road Glide was expected to get 180 miles on a 6-gal tank. WRONG. Riding at an aggressive pace, my HD was getting around 150/160 miles/tank. We ended up making 12 gas stops on this ride.

(2) Don’t press your luck. In Texas, after our Fort Hancock fill up, we had ridden about 130 miles and I decided to pass up a gas stop at Balmorhea, TX, expecting that there’d be another opportunity in 20-30 miles. WRONG. Running out of gas on I-10, I pulled over on the shoulder, Cliff behind me. We dumped our 2 precious gallons into my tank and prayed there was another gas station within 60 miles down the highway. 52 miles later, we find a gas station in Fort Stockton, TX. Those 52 miles consumed 1.4 gals of the 2-gal reserve. PHEW! We gassed up our bikes and our containers

(3) Cliff and I were doing a very good job of riding together. We’d gassed up, taken bio-breaks, and snacked together. He had originally led and now I was leading. We got close to a populated junction in the road. There was a bit more traffic around, moving at a slower pace, and some construction and warning signs. I-10 was littered with flashing warning signs with messages. Many of them warning drivers, not to Text and Drive. It so happens that there was this “flashing sign” that said, “Talk, Text, Crash”. For some reason, my eyes/brain read this sign as “Crash, Take, Exit”. Doesn’t make sense now but that’s what my mind read as the sign flashed one word at a time to me. So, I moved from the left lane to the right lane, and then took the exit ramp that just happened to be conveniently in front of me. As I look for Cliff, he’s riding by eastbound on I-10, head turned, staring at me with a look of puzzlement on his face (I imagine, as I could not see through his brain bucket).  Other traffic is moving along with him and I realize that whatever that sign flashed, it wasn’t “Crash, Take, Exit”.  I wound my way through a ½ mile of frontage road to get back on I-10. No sign of Cliff. I keep riding east towards Kerrville. I start getting phone calls from Cliff about 5 minutes later, but I don’t know how to activate phone pickup on my new Wireless Headset – DAMN! 3 more calls from Cliff and I find an exit, pull off and over to call him back. We connect, and I am 20 miles down the road while he’s looking for me at the exit behind me. We aren’t far from Kerrville and agree to meet up there at our turnaround point.

The Turnaround – I got to Kerrville in about 11 hrs. I gassed up and went into the gas station/grocery to get a convenience food dinner. It was 8pm CDT, we had started in the MDT time zone. Cliff arrives in about 15 minutes, gasses up, and joins me for cooler sandwiches, and cheese sticks. I ate two bananas as well, after taking my medications (some of you older folks understand about meds). Everything is good, we chat about the ride so far. We concur that we need to keep or increase the pace just to make sure we complete the BBG with some time to spare.

The Return Leg - We had arrived in Kerrville with sunlight at our backs. The first half of the trip was hot. Southern NM and Texas were having peak temps around 97F. With the heat coming off the asphalt and my engine, I know the immediate temps around my motorcycle had to be over 100F. Moving at a good clip though meant the even the warm wind in our face had a good effect on me. Now, we had eaten, and the sun was down. It was 8:40pm CDT as we got back on I-10, riding west. We had some time to make up, as we were just 20 min shy of the 12-hr. mark.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:43:28 PM by DesertHOG »

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
Re: My BBG Ride Report
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:27:39 PM »

I pick up the pace. I religiously watch my odometer clicking down the miles in my head, counting towards 150 miles. Thinking, “92 down, refuel in 58 miles”. “128 down, refuel in 22 miles”. “Is there a gas station within 22 miles going west?” Query my HD navigation, which sucks by the way. There are 5 gas stations behind me about 9.8 miles. Scroll, scroll, where are the stations in front of me. Damn HD Navigation. Oh, finally, there’s a station 29 miles in front of me. Okay, looks like I must get 160 miles out of this tank and not 150 miles. Mentally, my fingers are crossed. It goes this way all the way to the outskirts of El Paso, TX.
Flashing Sign – Oh gosh, what does this sign say? “I-10 Closed in 26 miles. Take 375 Exit for I-10 Detour.” A mile down the road – same sign. Another mile down the road, and there’s the 375 Exit Ramp. At the bottom of the ramp, a detour sign – Turn Right. Following 375, there’s another sign – continue for 29 miles to I-10. This all worked out for us until we got close to I-10. On our way, we find barriers, some single lane roads, and confusing signs. We finally make it onto I-10.

Home Stretch - We’re 2 miles from the New Mexico border. Hallelujah! It’s only 276 more miles to go. We made up time on westbound 1-10. We have about a 1.5-hr buffer. We gas in Hatch, NM. Take a bio-break. I get an empanada while Cliff gets a 5-hr energy drink. The ride has been getting cooler and cooler. Riding in the cool rather than the heat is refreshing and helping to keep me awake and aware. We’ve got this! Hitting I-25, I get about 15 miles down the road. It’s getting cooler. We hit the Border Patrol inspection checkpoint and I ask the officer if I can pull over to put on a jacket liner. Sure thing, Cliff pulls in behind me and he puts on his jacket liners as well.

Getting back on I-25, I stare down the highway, my eyelids are getting heavier, and I start getting a bit of tunnel vision. It’s not “the wall” but I do find that I need to concentrate more. I am giving myself a mental pep talk. “Ok Simon, you can do this. It’s only another 200 miles. Damn, what do I need to do to get over this?” I start flexing my thigh and calf muscles to an unknown rhythm. I make sure I get some water. I raise my modular helmet, I lower my modular helmet. I flex my muscles. I take another drink of water. What do they say in the commercials? “Rinse and Repeat”. Passing T or C, NM, now it’s only 149 miles to go. Let’s get past Socorro, NM and then it’ll only need 76 more miles. Rinse and Repeat, Rinse and Repeat. Socorro! Now the highway repair handiwork comes into our lives. Two lanes merge to one lane. Concrete barriers on the left and right of us, we’re squeezed into a riding lane that’s part blacktop, shoulder, and rumble strips. It seems to run forever in front of me. Cliff is falling back. It’s hard to see his headlights, all four of them fade into the night. Finally, for what seems to take forever, the barriers disappear, and the road opens into two lanes in front of me. 73 miles to go but I need a gas stop in the next 30 miles. We gas up and take a final bio-break. We have a 1.5 hr. margin when we pull into the station. We lose about 20 mins at the gas stop.

Back out on the highway, we have 40 miles to make our final checkpoint. I’m over the dreary eye issues. I am tired but getting more alert with the knowledge that in about 35-40 minutes we’ll have completed our 1500-mile BBG.

In The End - Cliff’s motorcycle performed a lot better than mine from a fuel efficiency point of view. My Harley really slowed us down with the extra gas stops. All in all, I think the ride went well. However, I won’t be using the Harley for another BBG anytime soon, hopefully never.

Here are some of my final statistics for the ride.
12 gas stops,
1596 odometer miles,
1536 GPS miles,
1527 Google Map miles.
Avg MPG – 28.5
Avg MPH – 70.3
Total Elapsed Time – 22h, 42mins
1 Friend, Cliff Orbach

– Thanks for joining me on the journey.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: My Bun Burner GOLD Ride Report
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 01:18:44 AM »

Simon that was a great report!  Have been there, done that on the I-10 part of your ride.  We were gassing up just about every opportunity since 1 of the 3 bikes on our CC was good for maybe 120 miles tank to tank.  Real pucker factor.  Construction and fatigue and the sun in our eyes and being bone tired, heat/cold - yes all of the above.  Learned as you did on your ride that sometimes the eyes see & the brain interprets something differently than what is really there.  Most unsettling.

Great trip, glad you made it safely!  Like you I don't document all the long rides, usually do not.  Fun to document though when the occasion warrants - yours certainly did.  Hope to see you in Maggie & look forward to hearing more about your ride in person. 

Congratulations!   :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 02:04:16 AM »

See you in Maggie Valley.

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:33 AM »

Excellent ride and excellent report Simon.

Hubbard may have to take notes from you on "Hitting the big road". That's a lot of miles to pound out in less than 24 hours. Congratulations on your accomplishment!!
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 08:20:51 AM »

Simon, I enjoyed reading your post, that's an ACCOMPLISHMENT! The most I've ridden is about 1000km/about 600 miles in one day. I can't imagine doing 1500 miles. Congratulations.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:29:20 AM »

Good deal, Simon.  Now THAT'S a ride report, brother... :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for taking us along with you and Cliff.  The IBA rides are a hoot.  I've got 1 saddlesore (three really but two weren't documented or planned... :) ) and 1 bun burner (two if you count one of the two, undocumented saddlesore rides... :P ).  They do take a lot out of you and that wall is a real thing.  I ran for years and did a couple half marathons and didn't have the "wall" hit me on those as much as I have on long distance riding.  Still, riding is SO much more fun than the running deal...

Lord willing, Vickie and I will see you in MV...safe travels and keep it between the ditches

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 09:12:20 AM »

good story, I've done a few thousand mile days in the saddle, but it was because I had to, sorta.  :drink:

:znotworthy:
Wut the hell was that maneuver

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »

good story, I've done a few thousand mile days in the saddle, but it was because I had to, sorta.  :drink:

:znotworthy:

Thanks, hope those guys don’t ever catch up with you. :)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 09:41:04 AM »

Entertaining read Simon.

I believe those kind of rides are easier to do, alone.  When your mind, or just plain fatigue, starts playing tricks and you almost miss a turn and realize it at the last second.......or take the wrong turn and have to get back on track.....it's just easier when you don't have to worry about somebody else following you or hooking back up with.

But I could relate to much of it.  I remember leaving Rapid City at 4:00 a.m. and arriving in Mt. View, Mo. 998 miles at 9:30 p.m.  Easier to do out there in that country where there's very few large cities and very little traffic.

But reading your review mostly brought back memories of when I bought my current bike and the Bushtec trailer.  2,400 miles from Chip & Nancy's garage to my home in Coronado, Calif. in 2 1/2 days.

Windshield bags full of real granola bars that have protein in them, a large Gatorade bottle, a radar tank and credit card in your windshield pouch for easy access and roll........
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 02:34:36 PM »

Entertaining read Simon.
a radar tank ....... for easy access and roll........

JC,

I tried to find "radar tank" for motorcycles on the Interwebs and I come up with a piece of $1500-$2500 industrial gear for remote level reading of tanks. Please explain what your "radar tanks" is/does and who makes it.

Thanks
Simon

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 10:25:04 PM »

Not sure who makes it though. 😬

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 12:24:11 AM »

Not sure who makes it though. 😬

:D :P - so silly!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »

Yep, that's it Roger!   :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »

Have not seen that one in the Kuryakyn catalog.  Must be from Drag Specialties? :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 27 queries.