Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: New Top End -- Power Coat and Diamond Cut -- for Old Road Glide  (Read 4924 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New Top End -- Power Coat and Diamond Cut -- for Old Road Glide
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2020, 10:41:34 PM »

Tell me about the EMS tuner, does it replace the original M&M system? Is there a link to it?

Two separate things going on there Mark.  A few years ago I started having Marelli issues that were compounded by parts getting harder and harder to come by.  I was never a Marelli hater.  It had its limitations but if one were familiar with and didn't go beyond its limitations it was fine.  But parts availability and obsolescence issues are tough to get over if you're ever stuck on the side of the road or out of town somewhere.  So I de-Marelli'd the bike and converted it to Delphi.  2005 vintage Delphi.  Harness, ECU, gauges, battery tray, etc.  Really not a bad job if one is so inclined.  After the fact I wish I'd gone a generation newer and found 08 vintage parts.  Could have done ABS also if I'd done that.  But (as is often the case) I digress.

So the bike was changed to Delphi.  Still had to do engine management though. 

A long time ago, like a decade maybe, Revolution Performance came out with a kit called Precision EMS (engine management system).  I like it a lot.  Had it on my SEEG, did it on my Road King, and when did the Marelli to Delphi swap used it on the Road Glide.  It's a surprisingly "smart" and flexible system that just makes its version of tuning easy. 

Unfortunately the kit never took a strong hold in the aftermarket and after a few years marketing the package Revolution Performance allowed the package to fade way.  That's still what's on my Road Glide now though.  It makes for an interesting first start up after engine work.

This bike went from an almost stock 95" bike.  Only internal difference was a small cam change that, itself, wasn't that much difference than the 203s it had out of the box.  It now went to the 625 cams, fancy head work, a butt ton more compression, way different pipe, etc.  Started the bike the first time and the system started taking big swings at compensation.  You'd hear RPMs dance up and down, it surged and worked and gagged and probably even waddled a bit.  Then it slowly began to even out.  After seven or eight minutes of idling on the table lift it was butter smooth. 

First ride saw it do a bit more adjusting on its own.  You could feel it changing over the first 10 miles or so.  After that any changes being made were subtle enough I couldn't notice them.  All that got me to a point that the bike runs pretty much as I expect it to though. 

Sure, I really good and expensive dyno tune could and no doubt would find me just a little bit more.  Especially at the extremes.  Tuning for numbers.  But this was easy, took 10 minutes then 10 miles of my time, and the bike runs well.  My Twin Tec tool tells me AFRs are spot on now.  I'm happy.  It's unfortunately not a package we can get anymore though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 10:51:17 PM »

Sounds great. Any issues with the bike in general? I’m looking at buy 2000 serg myself. Thanks

I'm a big fan of the first generation SERGs.  So I'd only be a proponent for anyone looking to keep one on the road and put it to use.  Having said that there are a few things that age now dictates you know and be ready for. 

As mentioned in the post previous the bikes used an ignition and induction system from Magnetti Marelli.  Even when knew they could be a bit quirky.  No real problem if you were familiar with them.  But a little familiarity was your friend. 

Now almost no one is familiar.  Orphaned and more and more obsolete parts all the time.  There are fixes though.  You can convert it to a carburetor.  Lots of M&M bikes have had that done and it's a good option.  I prefer the fuel injection though so I sent that way.  When / if the time ever comes you could do as I did and take a few months and score parts needed on eBay for cheap than take a long weekend and swap it all.  There are also aftermarket harness and other options that create hybrids.  I much prefer just swapping in the bits from a newer bike.  It's all Harley and you could get it worked on anywhere.  That's not the case with the aftermarket hybridized systems.

Aside from M&M issues the rest of the bike is pretty straightforward.  The old swingarms occasionally twisted.  If that ever happens you can swap in one from a newer bike.  It's  nearly bulletproof engine though.  Great riding bikes.  Nothing difficult or unusual about their regular maintenance.  And they're great just to go knock down miles on. 

If you found one you like and the price is right jump on it.  If that bike is one that hasn't been used much in a long time count on the normal maintenance that any bike that has sat would need. Rubber stuff (tires, seals, etc) all deserve a strong look.  Expect a little maintenance to become necessary as you put it back in to regular service.  Once that's behind you though just ride the bitch.  They're good bikes.

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 1999 Heritage Springer “sold”
    • CVO2: 2011 CVORGU “sold”
    • CVO3: 2001 SERG
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »

Thanks. Great information to know.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2020, 10:08:12 PM »

Looking like the weather may cooperate enough tomorrow for you to air her out a little.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2020, 10:48:10 PM »

Looking like the weather may cooperate enough tomorrow for you to air her out a little.

Was absolutely perfect again today.  Road King's turn yesterday.  Road Glide today.

Had enough miles on it now that was willing to just lock the cruise control in on the highway and let it eat for awhile.  Wanted to see how it would do on an extended run and what the fuel usage would be.  Pleased with the day; really pleased.

Headed east on I-44 and locked the cruise at 75mph in 6th gear.  At 135 miles out from the house was off and at a fuel stop then did exactly the same thing all the way home.  Any wind in my face going east was behind me coming home. 

The engine sounds great.  It does just eat miles on the highway.  Just a couple times I got on it to go around a semi.  Did it from 6th once and dropped a gear the other time just to see how it'd feel.  This cam likes being downshifted to for acceleration. 

Filled up again at a station a mile from the house.  272 miles on the afternoon at 75 on the highway all day and the bike averaged an almost dead 40 mpg.  I can live with that.  Easily and happily live with that.  Since this was its first extended run looked it over very closely once home.  Spark plugs are gorgeous.  Everything around the engine is absolutely dry.  There's not even a hint of mist around the air filter or breather housing.  Really couldn't ask for it be better behaved.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2020, 11:58:28 PM »

Oh yeah, and whatever complaints I had about installing the SuperMeg exhaust, and however much I still don't like the square nut in an open cage for the rear mount that I'm almost sure will bite me in the ass someday on a future disassembly, I do like the bike in service.

Flat footed and it's not close to your leg.  Nowhere near.  No FatCat bowlegged hope-I-don't-burned dance at stop signs.  The routing of the pipes is really nice.  And even though I rarely play the radio while riding I did try it today just to see.  Could actually hear AND understand the radio with it only at just over half volume.  With the FatCats the radio was a wonderful way to fill the hole in the inner fairing.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 12:37:33 PM »

It will be fun when you get the chance to ride down 23 or 7 or any of those up down and around roads. You may really enjoy this new build then
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »

It will be fun when you get the chance to ride down 23 or 7 or any of those up down and around roads. You may really enjoy this new build then

Thought about that while on the bike yesterday.  Cam profile is enough different that such riding will be more active.  The smaller and ET (earlier torque) Mackie 510s were such that once you got to 2500 or so you really didn't have to shift.  The new ones noticeably fall off the cam below 2600-2700-ish.  So more engaged in most all normal riding and the top end pull farther than I'm almost ever going to go.

It's nice that it falls at just a place where you can lock it up in 6th gear at a comfortable highway speed and go all day.  Or fall just below that and actually get to play a bit more.  So far I'm thinking that's a win-win combination.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 25 queries.