Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windshield  (Read 3275 times)

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
Windshield
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »

A reprint from my introduction...
I’d like to thank the forum for all the tips I gathered before getting my CVO Street Glide (Tequila Sunrise) yesterday. This was a great site to research info and leverage the learning of others. Here are my observations:
•   Dealer inspected and tighten all bolts, nuts and fittings as I didn’t want to leave a trail of chrome leading the way home
•   Dealer bled the clutch…not sure if it made a difference since it’s tough to pull compared to my ’07 Softail. Not bad exercise but I will look off-balance with one Popeye forearm
•   Went with the all chrome agitator wheels by covering the difference in cost plus installation
•   I really appreciated the Softail’s “B” in the 96B twin. The touring engine really does shake (especially at idle) where my in’ards are now out’ards. But what a great ride when it is riding. Hope HD someday considers putting the “B”alanced twin in the touring line.
•   What happened to the sound, the rumble, the stuff that makes me forget my midlife crises? Was that an option? It sounds like a Vespa on steroids…
•   Since this is my first tourer and first time I’m using something to play interference with the wind, I was truly surprised at the buffeting my head went through. I can now move my eyes independently from each other and my walnut sized brain has dislodged and rattles more offten. The dealer installed a KlockWerks at that for me to test.
All in all, the good definitely out way the bad. It handles great and love it. Thanks for the forum again for helping the would-be consumers by paving the way. BTW: What the heck do I do with the bling key?
Pics are below. Chrome wheels aren’t in yet. Went for my “break in” ride today (not sure if I was break’n in the bike or it was the other way around) and had a great time practicing with the heavier bike but there are a few lessons learned:
•   I can’t back it up an incline like the Softail,
•   Had heart failure on slow maneuver practice – definitely a heavier bike – and almost dropped it. Read the other posts on the saddle bag guards and I think I’ll get them. Clutch/rear break/throttle coordination will take more practice.
From the above you can tell the KlockWerks didn't turn my crank but did rattle my brain. Has anyone been successful with another version/make/height? My eye line is about 2” above the shield which is a 8.5” version I believe.  I’m 5’7”. The wind tunnel marketing is more for show. Last, any thoughts on the front guard?  Is it cosmetic or will it really help save the bike – I’m used to a wider version so I wonder about the fairing protection.

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

Widows Son

• Full CVO Member

Re: Windshield
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »

Another

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
Chrome Agitators
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight

Widows Son

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:26:37 PM »

Last

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
Chrome Agitators
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 04:47:03 PM »

Congrads on the new bike.

If this helps, I have used a Klockwerks and my shoulders take a beating. Head has little to no turbulence. Unfortunately I can't use my windshield three bag with a Klockwerks.

I have a "Long Ride Shields" on my trike and have no wind buffeting on my head or shoulders. I ordered the tallest one they make and it is level with my upper lip.

I have a Memphis Shades on my SESG now and it beats me to death. Going to order another Long Ride Shields but a 9".

PS, I'm 5-10

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »

By the way... not to hijack this thread but...

Remove the license plate and the two screws behind it. Remove that rectangle reflector at the top and use four reflectors for the plate holder screws. Makes a very clean look to the back end.

The reflector is a piece of plastic that is just behind the light cover. It is not glued in, use a side cutter to remove it cleanly. When you pull it off you will understand what I am talking about.

Cheers

Widows Son

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 08:03:31 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Reksul. I stand corrected that the Klockwerks I was loaned by the parts guy at HD was a 6.5" and not 8.5" as I wrote earlier. I'll see him again this weekend and try the original equipment shield when I swap out his. I had a look at the Long Ride and they do look good -  BTW: what was the size of the Klockwerks you have? After reading several of the other HD forums on the net, I'm inclined to try the 8.5" Klockwerks. The other notable complaint on the short KW shields is they don't accommodate windshield bags. Appears the 8.5" has mitigated that challenge.

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
Chrome Agitators
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »

I had a 6.5 KW but sold it. I didn't do the research on the three bag first, my bad, but since I didn't like the wind slamming my shoulders I got rid of it.

I'm headed from Atlanta to Charlotte in the morning on the trike with the Long Ride Shield. Doing mostly hwy so I will report back but I've had the LRS for about three months now.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 07:25:14 AM »

If the Klockworks doesn't provide enough relief, try a Clearview with the recurve.  I love mine , many here have them as well.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Widows Son

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 08:05:17 PM »

My worst fear has come true: too many good suggestions! Thanks all. Klockwerks, Clearview and Long Ride all look good. I guess I just have to jump into one a try it.

Nidan: What size did you go with and how tall are you if you don't mind my asking?

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
Chrome Agitators
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »

While your at it you might as well at least look at a Windvest.  I stole this photo of JC's bike from his thread: JCZ'a Mods have begun.  IMHO this is probably the single best thread on the SESG if you've not already I would recommend reading the whole thing.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.msg620121#msg620121
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:25:30 PM by Sapper6 »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 05:18:44 PM »

I had a 6.5 KW but sold it. I didn't do the research on the three bag first, my bad, but since I didn't like the wind slamming my shoulders I got rid of it.

I'm headed from Atlanta to Charlotte in the morning on the trike with the Long Ride Shield. Doing mostly hwy so I will report back but I've had the LRS for about three months now.

Reporting back for those interested. Bout 600 miles the past two days, mostly at 70 to 90 MPH. I'm happy to report the Long Ride Shield was fantastic. No pounding on my shoulders or helmet. Took both a full and a half helmet. I was able to read car plate numbers at least 60 or more feet away easily. Would have had no chance of doing that with the Memphis shade or KW.

edit: sorry, forgot. I'm 5-10 and have the 10" light smoke on my 07 Ultra Motor Trike.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:08:58 PM by reksul »

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »

I have the largest of the Klock Works, and love it.

I am also 5'7"
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 07:48:29 PM »

I met Brian Klock (and many other after market builders) at the Drag Specialites trade show in Reno, this morning.  He told me that his shield was designed at the Bonneville Salt Flats.  It's designed for speed with the least amount of wind drag.....also designed to push down on the front end.  Said they did a wind tunnel test and that there's 40 lbs. of lift on the front end at freeway speeds. 

Personally, I don't see that as a problem. :nixweiss: 

Talked with Brian's wife, who happens to hold the Bagger land speed record.  Interesting lady.  Both her daughters hold a land speed record in different classes, also.

I'll stick with Windvest.....they've served me well.

By the way, thanks a bunch Sapper, for the complaments. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »

By the way, thanks a bunch Sapper, for the complaments. :2vrolijk_21:

Welcome and justified :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.