Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Seat Leather Care???  (Read 12040 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Seat Leather Care???
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »

Saddle soaps have long been replaced in tanneries by modern emulsions which penetrate, soften and condition with greater ease and stability.
And have you identified a source for obtaining these 'modern emulsions'?   :nixweiss:har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »

Who has a leather seat ?
My FLHTCUSE3 is vinyl, the same as every other bike I have ever owned.
I did see a leather seat on a bike once in the 1970's. It got wet once and never looked the same again.
I guess we are just using "Leather" as a general description ?

All Corbin seats are real leather. So far as I know, the top or seating section of all CVO seats is leather. Yours is too whether you believe it or not. Check the center panels and read the spec sheet on H-D's website. We also have some site members with $3k seats that were custom made and believe me dude, they're leather. That's the whole point of this thread- - - - - how do people protect their investment.

S'anyway, I did the Lexol thing to my Corbin yesterday  Cleaner then treatment. Could not believe how dirty a seat I thought was clean really was. Man that open grain leather Corbin uses really soaks up the treatment too.

B B
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:55:00 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2008, 11:17:21 PM »

All Corbin seats are real leather. So far as I know, the top or seating section of all CVO seats is leather. Yours is too whether you believe it or not. Check the center panels and read the spec sheet on H-D's website. We also have some site members with $3k seats that were custom made and believe me dude, they're leather. That's the whole point of this thread- - - - - how do people protect their investment.

S'anyway, I did the Lexol thing to my Corbin yesterday  Cleaner then treatment. Could not believe how dirty a seat I thought was clean really was. Man that open grain leather Corbin uses really soaks up the treatment too.

B B
You said a mouthful there Spyder-I cleaned my 6 week old seat and was shocked at the dirt-then I fed it some of the H-D beeswax glop-I'll buff that out tomorrow and voila better. I still think the seat is one of the weaksest links in the CVO chain considering the INVESTMENT!!!

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »

And have you identified a source for obtaining these 'modern emulsions'?   :nixweiss:har!  spyder
Yeah, there's a millioin of them, Leather replenishers, I like the Meguirs wipes, not too expensive and easy to use.

3k Seats?? you gotta be outta your ever lovin mind!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »

3k Seats?? you gotta be outta your ever lovin mind!

Maybe more. Check out Alligator Bob on the web. My original set for the 03 SERK pictured in his ads which SCRM-R now owns was purported to have cost $8k new for bags and seat. AB made them for himself I believe and sold them to a friend, who sold them to me and then I sold them to SCRM-R, who by the way is not the only site member with Alligator Bob handiwork.You reach a point where there's nothing more to chrome, wheels don't do it for you, you name it, you've been there done that. If you're totally into it as some of us are, you go in search of something off the charts. So expensive or unique, nobody else has it. Not for everybody I'll admit, but if you've ever had something like this and pulled into a crowded parking lot full of Harleys, you'd understand.

B B

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2008, 06:08:02 PM »

Maybe more. Check out Alligator Bob on the web. My original set for the 03 SERK pictured in his ads which SCRM-R now owns was purported to have cost $8k new for bags and seat. AB made them for himself I believe and sold them to a friend, who sold them to me and then I sold them to SCRM-R, who by the way is not the only site member with Alligator Bob handiwork.You reach a point where there's nothing more to chrome, wheels don't do it for you, you name it, you've been there done that. If you're totally into it as some of us are, you go in search of something off the charts. So expensive or unique, nobody else has it. Not for everybody I'll admit, but if you've ever had something like this and pulled into a crowded parking lot full of Harleys, you'd understand.

B B

Thats insanity man, insanity! But like I always say, to each his own!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »

On my super glide I used Son of a Gun. My gut is telling me that is not a good idea for the SERK 08 leather. I just used the HD dressing given to me when purchased bike on the seat.

Looking at getting the wipes myself. but is Son of a gun good? I also like cheap, its bad enough the kids have to share trade off when they eat dinner due to gas pricess..
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »

On my Corbin seat I use the HD leather cleaner(only because I have some left over) and the Waterproof Beeswax 7 Oz
"Camp Dry" Beeswax Waterproofer.  Leave the bike in the sun to warm the leather (you can warm the leather with a hair dryer) rub the wax in let it soak, the buff it out.  The wax may get wet again when left in the sun, I keep a 100% cotton cloth in a saddle bag and buff the seat out. 
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »

I have a problem maybe you guys can help me with. Because I have an artificial knee in one leg and an artificial hip in the other, getting on LD is a chore at times. As such, I have scuffed my Corbin in the same place with the sole of my boots enough that the finish is marred. Any ideas how to fix this ?

B B

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 11:15:47 AM »

I have a problem maybe you guys can help me with. Because I have an artificial knee in one leg and an artificial hip in the other, getting on LD is a chore at times. As such, I have scuffed my Corbin in the same place with the sole of my boots enough that the finish is marred. Any ideas how to fix this ?

B B
Depending on bad it is Brian I would consider taking it to a good leather repairman or a horse tack shop to ensure a consistant color for the fix. These guys are capable to fix these types of issues readily.

Howie

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »

YOU USED TO BE ABLE TO GET A LEATHER STICK REPAIR KIT IN DIFFERENT COLOURS. IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A MAGIC MARKER PEN. IF YOUR SEAT IS BLACK TRY AN ACTUAL PERMANENT BLACK MAGIC MARKER.

B B

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »

If the leather isn't worn through, you can use Doc Bailey's or leather dye.  Then treat it with a preservative. 
I recently stumbled across the best stuff I've ever seen for leather.  I can't believe how good it makes my jackets, vests and chaps look and feel.  It's called Obenauf's Leather Oil.  They also make a product called LP (for leather protector).  And they have a silicone water proof product -(I haven't tried that one yet).  Here's a link to their web site:  www.obenaufs.com
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Sean M Cary

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »

Kinda funny story...kinda stupid, ok - really stupid.

We had a Marine up in Cherry Point (Air Wing - go figure) who put some kind of dressing on his seat that made it so slippery he fell off riding it...   :stars:

DOH!

Sean

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »

Kinda funny story...kinda stupid, ok - really stupid.

We had a Marine up in Cherry Point (Air Wing - go figure) who put some kind of dressing on his seat that made it so slippery he fell off riding it...   :stars:

DOH!

Sean
You think that is bad try putting some Armor All on your windshield wipers. :evilgrin:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »

If the leather isn't worn through, you can use Doc Bailey's or leather dye.  Then treat it with a preservative. 
I recently stumbled across the best stuff I've ever seen for leather.  I can't believe how good it makes my jackets, vests and chaps look and feel.  It's called Obenauf's Leather Oil.  They also make a product called LP (for leather protector).  And they have a silicone water proof product -(I haven't tried that one yet).  Here's a link to their web site:  www.obenaufs.com

Thanks for jogging my brain. Hank has some Doc Bailey's

B B
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 25 queries.