Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: new seat  (Read 11645 times)

aggie

new seat
« on: July 07, 2005, 09:10:51 AM »

Has anyone put a custom seat on their SEFB? I've been thinking about having a custom one made that has the gel insert but I'd hate to loose the chrome around the existing seat. The HD seat seems a bit rough on my butt for longer rides.

MICK THE PICK

• BILD IT WITH ATTITUDE
Re: new seat
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 02:57:19 PM »

yes look at pics MAD DODS & E

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 04:05:53 PM »

Has anyone put a custom seat on their SEFB? I've been thinking about having a custom one made that has the gel insert but I'd hate to loose the chrome around the existing seat. The HD seat seems a bit rough on my butt for longer rides.

One member here that I know has added a gel insert in his stock SEFB seat. He says it sits a lot more comfortable now even on those all day long rides. I haven't seen any pics, but he said it still looks stock. All they did was open up the seat and add the gel pad, then close it back up. Others I know have added memory foam to their stock seats and say it works well to, but these are standard FB stock seats. Still it should work for ours too. I need to do something with mine also, just haven't made up my mind which I want to do.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Sandy
Sandy :)

Slick

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 08:49:28 AM »

I sent my seat out to Bill Mayer Saddles on the west coast. E-mailed him a picture of the seat before I sent it and he claimed he could do it. He had a change of heart after getting a better look at the seat with all the chrome around it. He said the seat just wouldn't look right and may ruin the look of the bike(his custom seats are bulky, not very low profile). I had my '99 Buell seat done by him and they really do good work. I guess he just wasn't up to the challenge. I ended up buying a Corbin for the ride down to the Myrtle Beach Rally, more comfortable than the stock seat but looks can't compare.

Going to look aroung the NYC area and see if someone will customize the stock seat, it really is uncomfortable on 100+ mile days.

Mike NYC

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 02:01:50 AM »

I agree to a point on the seat. I have an 05 se fatboy, the seat is horrible compared to some that I have sat on in the way of comfort. I love the way it looks as well. But that being said I wonder to myself, have bikers really become so spoiled that we gripe about something like an uncushy seat on our almost 30 thousand dollar motorcycles, sheesh! I think about the images of the old school bikers who sparked my passsion for Harleys kicking their pans until their shins are bleeding, praying for a spark of that magnito to bring things to life on their HARDTAIL framed bikes, cruising for hundreds of miles at a time with barley a seat at all and ZERO suspension. Here I am complaining about a mildly discomfortable seat on my cushy softail, fuel injected, chromed out, starts every time with a push of my electric start, computer controlled timing, belt driven, chromed out, can just call a toll free number if she by chance breaks down, don't have to carry a drip pan to catch my leaking oil when I park wonder machine?...............am I a friggin biker at all??? [smiley=dunce2.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 02:29:57 AM »

Been there, done that, rode a hardtail on long enough days to wizz in that wonderful cherry color.  Asking for a decent seat (when they can do all those other things anymore) ain't such a big thing to request or expect; especially on a 30,000 dollar motorcycle.

michburt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 02:40:54 PM »

One member here that I know has added a gel insert in his stock SEFB seat. He says it sits a lot more comfortable now even on those all day long rides. I haven't seen any pics, but he said it still looks stock. All they did was open up the seat and add the gel pad, then close it back up. Others I know have added memory foam to their stock seats and say it works well to, but these are standard FB stock seats. Still it should work for ours too. I need to do something with mine also, just haven't made up my mind which I want to do.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Sandy

HI Sandy,  I had gel put in my seat for the FatBoy SE.  I even had an inch a foam added to the back.  Rides good.

Mike
(remember the corbin seat)
Just plain happy to be here, but then one reaches an age where one is happy to be anywhere.

Hotrodracer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 06:23:19 PM »

Had a gel pack put in with an 1 & 1/2 of foam. Still hurts after about an hour!! I just got a touring seat with a back rest for long rides. Have not put it on yet as the BEAST is still in the shop recovering fron the ditch she went into a few weeks back.

But, watch out when she comes home friday.  She will be totaly different!!!!  HaVE MADE A LOT OF CHANGES TO HER.  will post pictures asap.
Let's Ride

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 02:36:45 PM »

HI Sandy,  I had gel put in my seat for the FatBoy SE.  I even had an inch a foam added to the back.  Rides good.

Mike
(remember the corbin seat)
[/quo

Sorry I'm just getting back to you Mike. Haven't been on this forum in a while. We've been busy with family things, just had out 5th grandbaby a month ago. Anyway I have a few questions for you.

First off, how is the seat working out for you with that gel pad installed inside?

Second, did they take some foam out when they installed it or is the seat now taller?

Third, when you added an inch of foam to the back of the seat did that push you more forward towards the controld or just make the seat sit deeper.

Forth, Where they able to use the same leather cover that came on the seat or did they just add matching leather to it?

I know I'm full of questions, but I do need to do something with this seat. I want to keep the look, so having something done to this one is a must. Will be in Daytona durning Biketoberfest, might try getting something done while down there. But sure do wish I could get it done locally. We're suppose to ride down. That's 7/8 hour in the saddle. OUCH!!!!!!!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] What am I to do. Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 03:59:16 PM »

That long in that seat would hurt anyones behind. I too like the seat and the look that it has, but lets face it it's just not a practical seat..no two up.....even with the passenger pavillion you can buy for this seat.....then all you would end up with is someone on the back who also feels your pain.....lol. I figure I am going to keep the stock seat for bar hopping ( don't actually go to much bars......but out for smokes a soda or things like that ) I want to get one similar to the one on my heritage with a little lower profile, possibly in Ostrich skin and add a detacheable sissy bar.

On anopther subject my girlfriend rides a 2001 Dyna Glide with a 103 in it. Now that I have ridden my fatboy with H-D riding his Dyna having some trouble keeping up and just having taken out my girls bike for a ride, I am convinced those bikes are just faster and easier to ride. I know there is a weight difference, and the Dyna is the best handling bike Harley has ever made ( know I will get blasted for that one).but should the weight difference make the bike seem THAT much faster?? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 04:28:41 PM »

Oh Yeah!  reducing weight is just as good as adding HP in the grand scheme of things.  Power to Weight Ratio!  Just ask any of the go-fast racer types.  [smiley=cool3.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Slick

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 05:05:09 PM »

I sent my seat out to MCSeating just outside Detroit to be customized. He added gel insert, about an inch of foam and all new black leather. Should get it back in a few days, I'll let you know how it feels. Also had Screamin' Eagle (with the eagle head) embroided on to the seat. I'll post pix ASAP.

Just got back from a ride put to Coldwater, MI to meet a friend. 1,500 miles round trip. Did the first half in 1 day(ouch! my butt hurt!) I bought a toy and jumped into a toy run in Sturgis, MI...good fun! Rode back to NYC via York, PA and did a tour of the factory.
I think they're open house is coming up so you can tour the Softail assembly line but the CVO part is still off limits.

Mike NYC

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 04:51:18 PM »

That long in that seat would hurt anyones behind. I too like the seat and the look that it has, but lets face it it's just not a practical seat..no two up.....even with the passenger pavillion you can buy for this seat.....then all you would end up with is someone on the back who also feels your pain.....lol. I figure I am going to keep the stock seat for bar hopping ( don't actually go to much bars......but out for smokes a soda or things like that ) I want to get one similar to the one on my heritage with a little lower profile, possibly in Ostrich skin and add a detacheable sissy bar.

On anopther subject my girlfriend rides a 2001 Dyna Glide with a 103 in it. Now that I have ridden my fatboy with H-D riding his Dyna having some trouble keeping up and just having taken out my girls bike for a ride, I am convinced those bikes are just faster and easier to ride. I know there is a weight difference, and the Dyna is the best handling bike Harley has ever made ( know I will get blasted for that one).but should the weight difference make the bike seem THAT much faster?? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Not only is the Dyna lighter than your FB, but more than likely your girlfriend is probably lighter than you also. Add up the difference and she's got more power to spare for sure. My husband use to say that me with my 03 silver and black RKC and the way I had it set up, had the prettiest bike, but he with his 03 SE RK had the fastest. Now he has the Red SE EGlide and I have this Red SE FB. So his story now is that I not only have the prettiest bike, but also the fastest!   [smiley=cherry.gif]  Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 01:53:53 AM »

Yeah til he gets tired of getting romped by you on your fatboy and has some headwork, cams, pistons etc done to his so that don't happen no more! [smiley=laugh.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 08:29:26 PM »

Just changed out my seat to a two up, Mustang Wide Regal Duke seat. Also added a sissy bar with padded backrest and passenger pegs. The weather has been chit so I have not had a chence to try it out. It feels comfy to sit on parked........haha. It's gonna take getting used to the new look of the bike but it doesn't look bad.In fact I have not really ridden the bike since the remap and tune. I only rode it home from my stealer that day it was completed. I can't wait to try it out on some dry ground ( its been raining here since that day last week. )
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Slick

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 09:28:26 PM »

first shot at posting a pic, I hope it works.
It's the stock seat recovered in leather with gel inseret, much more comfortable than stock.
MCSeating.com did a great job.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 09:15:18 PM by twolanerider »

Slick

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 09:33:24 PM »

on the bike
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 09:15:50 PM by twolanerider »

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 09:42:59 PM »

Hey Slick that seat looks...well.....slick. Is that a patch they sewed on there or did they sew the design in? Looks great!

Slick

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 10:36:20 PM »

Thanks.
it's not a patch, embroidered right on to the leather. I e-mail him the SE sticker from the HD website and asked to make some adjustments. Changed the orange backround to blue, the SE writing grey/silver and left the eagle & border white. Looks good and it's comfy, Very happy to get the original chrome back on the bike and trash the Corbin, looks much better.

Slick

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 10:38:15 PM »

a few adjustments
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 09:16:19 PM by twolanerider »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 10:17:29 AM »

Hey Slick, Nice work on the seat, great idea for the embroidery as well [smiley=cherry.gif]

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 06:28:51 PM »

Neat seat  :) !! There's a company that will completely rebuild your seat and add in get, etc. I'm trying one out on mine at the moment and after the initial 'squish', you really don't notice it and it's definitely better cushioning and back support than stock, but you can retain the stock look if you want.
http://www.buttbuffer.com/

Long term testing is in progress  8-)
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2005, 01:27:59 AM »

Hey could you possibly post a pic that shows more than half of the logo at once, if you shrink it to 800x600 the whole thing should fit.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 02:48:23 PM »

No it didn't!

try clicking on th paper clip at the top left of the picture

[smiley=drink.gif]
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Huntley_Harley

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 05:20:45 PM »

That Seat from mc seating is the best seat I have seen. Could you post a picture of it on the bike. Maybe a side view.  So I can see how it looks on the bike. Also did the gel change the hieght of the seat.
Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 09:17:26 PM »

Slick,
I resized your images for you and posted them back in your posts.  Should look better now  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 09:32:40 PM »

Slick,
I resized your images for you and posted them back in your posts.  Should look better now  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Show off. :o

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 09:37:06 PM »

Show off. :o

Notsomuch, just found a new feature in the new software I'd not noticed before.  We can reattach to an existing post, even a file with the same name, without yanking the post and starting again like we used to have to do.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 10:01:14 PM »

Notsomuch, just found a new feature in the new software I'd not noticed before.  We can reattach to an existing post, even a file with the same name, without yanking the post and starting again like we used to have to do.

Just yanking your chain.  I saw that, too, but without going back to some earlier threads, haven't come across an opportunity to use it yet, so I was jealous. ;)  Just for the benefit of anyone reading this, it's not just a Moderator's function - anyone can do it from the edit screen.  A nice addition, for sure! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Slick

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2005, 09:24:43 AM »

Thanks for adjusting the pix Twolane, I'm not very tech savvy with that stuff.
I'll take more pix of the seat on the bike, I just can't get my ass off the seat long enough to snap a few. I need to get a good shot, MCSeating wants to post it on his website.
I took her in for 5k service yesterday, guys at the dealership loved the seat. Didn't get me in and out any quicker >:(
The gel insert did not change the height of the seat, or at least it doesn't look or feel that way.

Ty1on2

• 2006 SE FatBoy

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2005, 07:00:54 PM »

Ok people here it goes. I have an 06 SEFB and I assume the seat is as the 05, it looks the same to me.
I have read this post twice,lol and then I went and got a ButtBuffer put it on and my azz still hurts after
only 50 miles, there was a little difference, but not 100 dollers difference. I do not know what to do. I
need some serious input here please. And Slick did the people supply the gel insert for your seat? and
did they add any foam? And is it comfy. Thank you all.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 02:37:13 PM by ty1on2 »
I'M OUT OF MY MIND, LEAVE A MESSAGE

2006 SE Fat Boy, Autumn Haze/ Abyss Blue
V&H Big Shots Staggered,HD Bags To Match,
Flush Mount Gas Caps,PC111USB
1999 FXSTC-Wifes Bike
V&H Pipes, and lots of other goodies

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2005, 07:33:23 PM »

A combination of the seat breaking-in and your butt toughing-up will do the trick up to a point.  Depends on the amt. of miles you want to ride ea. day.  Remember, it's a see-saw with comfort on one end and looks on the other.  Gain on one, lose on the other.  Har!   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]     spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Ty1on2

• 2006 SE FatBoy

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2005, 02:34:03 PM »

Well Spydglide I dont think I can wait for that seat to break in, after all, it's is like a board,lol
I think I'll talk to Slick and try his route, his seat is bad to the bone. As long as it's comfy.
Thanks for the reply tho, Mr Spydglide [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

1999 FXSTC-Wifes Bike

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2005, 12:00:10 AM »

So far the only solution is replace it with a comfy one. The design of the seat does not allow for much additional padding or gel, and the gel is a mental thing. If your ass is hard and you got some weight to ya that seat will never be comfy once ya squish all the gel from between the frame and your ass, then your still sittin on the frame!

It's all personal opinion, taste, type of riding you do etc. For me the seat is great for barhopping, but for distance I want the biggest ugliest most comfy thing I can find!
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Ty1on2

• 2006 SE FatBoy

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2005, 06:57:39 PM »

Thanks for the input sefatboyscott. well first I don't have much weight to me @ 5'10" > 170lb.
but I still need to talk to Slick to see how comfy his seat is. My riding style is 100 too 200 miles
per outting. And I own a new sundowner, and it is the biggest, ugliest seat I have found to date,lol
but the stock seat makes the bike, in my opinion. So I need to have the stock seat reworked.
Thanks again sefatboyscott, for input. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

1999 FXSTC-Wifes Bike

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2005, 05:27:41 AM »

I must admit I have tried an other seat but personally don't have any problem with the stock seat . I normally ride for up to 2 hours & I thought I had a boney ass.But like I said don't have any drama with the stocker, I actually think it is quite comfy. Maybe my riding position is different due to my forward controls & T-Bars.
As for the other seat I bought a Tallboy, probably was more comfy but made my Fatboy look like a Fatgirl. I did not think that the slight increase in comfort justified totally destroying the look of my bike. (if I was after that look I would have bought a SERK or a SEEG) The pillion was about 12 inches wide. I do 95% of my riding solo anyway. I probably tried another seat to see what all the noise was about. My stealer happily refunded my money (all $550 AUD)

[smiley=drink.gif]

FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2005, 09:27:23 AM »

Hey Aussie Mike, gotta give your Dealer a 'atta-boy'!  That's what I call a good Dealer-Client relationship, huh?  :-?  Har!  spyder

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2005, 07:53:55 AM »

Ok people here it goes. I have an 06 SEFB and I assume the seat is as the 05, it looks the same to me.
I have read this post twice,lol and then I went and got a ButtBuffer put it on and my azz still hurts after
only 50 miles, there was a little difference, but not 100 dollers difference. I do not know what to do. I
need some serious input here please. And Slick did the people supply the gel insert for your seat? and
did they add any foam? And is it comfy. Thank you all.

The seat on the 06 SE Fatty is a little different than that of the 05's. They made changes in the rear end of the 06's, wider tire and fender, much wider. So the seats on these bikes won't interchange.  Hope you don't have to wait too long for Corbin or Mustang or whatever aftermarket company you might go with to make a seat for you. I don't think Harley even has another seat yet for your bike. You may have to do some calling around to check this out. Good luck. Sandy

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2005, 10:18:28 AM »

my dealer said the same thing, the seat is different and is not intechangable with
the 05, because they moved some stuff under the seat. i think ill just ride it like this
i will probably feel no difference [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

http://flhrsei.org/yabb2/Attachments/DSCN0504.jpg
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2005, 01:05:49 PM »

Nope you won't feel any difference other than those small 12v shocks when your umm unit connects the positive and negative terminals on the battery! [smiley=nervous.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2005, 04:21:31 PM »

I can't work you dudes out, you ride in freezing conditions & don't complain about the cold, but you can't get over the seat. Maybe the cold conditions make the seat uncomfortable!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 04:22:38 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2005, 04:58:12 PM »

my dealer said the same thing, the seat is different and is not intechangable with
the 05, because they moved some stuff under the seat. i think ill just ride it like this
i will probably feel no difference [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

http://flhrsei.org/yabb2/Attachments/DSCN0504.jpg

They didn't just move some things back there. The 06 is a whole other animal compared to the 05's, in some ways anyway. The 05's like mine have a 150 rear tire and a 90 front. The 06's have a 200 rear tire and a 150 in the front. The 06's are much beefer than the 05's. The rear end is totally different and fatter, that's why the seats want interchange. Also why it might be a while before anyone with an 06 can find any kind of a new seat. You guys will just have to call around to see what if anything might be available yet. As for us with the 05's, anything that will fit a stock Fatboy will fit our bikes. Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »

You guys will just have to call around to see what if anything might be available yet. As for us with the 05's, anything that will fit a stock Fatboy will fit our bikes. Sandy

Also I figured it would be worth mentioning that some of the seat manufacturers, Mustang being one of them will say that their regular fatboy seats won't fit the 05 CVO and it does. They say this because of complaints from some customers having lost their chrome trim around the seat when they switch seats according to a rep at Mustang.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Ty1on2

• 2006 SE FatBoy

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2005, 06:47:32 PM »

Hey Mrs. Red Hot, I dont know who makes the sundowner seat, but thats what I have on my SE FatBoy right now.
So they do have another seat for those who can't stand the stock seat, like me, lol. And I do miss the chrome
around the stock seat, that kinda ties everything together. As far as looks go. As far as having to wait for some
seat person to make me a seat, I'm going to do the same thing that Slick had done to his seat. Send them my
seat and throw all the Bull Sh-t away from inside the seat and start over, to fit me. Like maybe 3/4 of an inch
of fome & a gel pad all tucked in a real nice leather cover. I just find hard to belive that HD made a seat for just
looks on a 30.000 dollar bike>>>>LOL, the joke is on me.  :-[

1999 FXSTC-Wifes Bike

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2005, 07:07:48 PM »

Hey Mrs. Red Hot, I dont know who makes the sundowner seat, but thats what I have on my SE FatBoy right now.
quote]

H-D makes the sundowner
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2005, 09:32:11 AM »

Also I figured it would be worth mentioning that some of the seat manufacturers, Mustang being one of them will say that their regular fatboy seats won't fit the 05 CVO and it does. They say this because of complaints from some customers having lost their chrome trim around the seat when they switch seats according to a rep at Mustang.

Man that's crazy on the customers part. They knew when they ordered their new Mustang seat that it wasn't going to have the chrome on it. Had to know that if they didn't see it on the web site or in the Mustang Catalog that there would be no chrome. But I do understand how some people might think otherwise. It's a crazy world. :) Sandy

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2005, 09:40:51 AM »

I just find hard to belive that HD made a seat for just
looks on a 30.000 dollar bike>>>>LOL, the joke is on me.  :-[[/quote]

Nope the joke's not just on you. HD makes quite a few bikes with great looking seats that are no where near confortable. My last bike was a 2003 Road King Classic it came with a very nice looking 100th Aniv. seat that matched the saddlebags. That seat wasn't good for riding more than a hour or so if that. I ended up getting a Corbin Solo for it. That's why I have a Corbin comming for this bike. Ask around many many HD riders aren't happy at all with their stock seats and end up getting something else. Many times it's an aftermarket seat.

The Sundowner is a Harley seat and one of few that are built for confort. The one you have on your 06 SE must be one that is suppose to fit something like the Road Kings, cause my dealer said that the normal FB seats want fit the 06 SE FB's. That rear fender is wide like that of the Kings, so that may what you have. Don't know for sure, just a guess.

I'm gonna be sending my chrome seat out to have a gel insert add too. Also gonna get them to add about 1 inch of foam into the rear to make it sit deeper and push me a tad more forward. I usually take a close verson of most seats as I a person of shorter stature. Will use the seat then for shorter rides and keep the corbin and saddlebags for long rides and trips. :) Sandy

Ty1on2

• 2006 SE FatBoy

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2005, 11:41:20 AM »

Hey Sandy thanks for the reply, and I agree with everything you said. But I still think its a marketing thing
that HD has going on in the background. Just think of it like this, when you buy a $30.000 dollar car the
seats are Realy comfy. And you dont need to go buy another seat, for crying out loud. I just feel that
if HD wanted to make that stock seat comfy they could have done so. I'm sending my seat to MCSeating out
of MI. I have seen his work, it is wonderful. The price is real fair as far as I'm concered. There is a thread
here in this thread that has some pics of his work. The persons name here that used him was Slick, look
for the thread, you will like it I think. Take care, Ty1on2 :)

PS  I looked up the thread for you, it's #15 thru #19 tell me what you think of the seat.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 11:48:49 AM by ty1on2 »

1999 FXSTC-Wifes Bike

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2005, 05:47:50 PM »

PS  I looked up the thread for you, it's #15 thru #19 tell me what you think of the seat.[/quote]

Yep I remember seeing and reading about that seat. I does look great. I have a guy down in FL, I'm in GA, that I'm thinking of sending mine too. Have someone that I know who has used him, so I've seen his work too. I do agree with you about HD too. I also think it wasn't good of them to make the changes they did on the 06 bikes. They always build these bikes for 2 years running. Why the heck did they change things mid stream. Could have built them all like the 06's from the start. We would all have loved to had that 200 wide back tire. :) Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2005, 06:05:35 PM »

What's worse is that when they market as wide tire kit for prior models to the 06 we will never be able to match the paint on the rear fender so it won't really be an option for us 05 CVO owners unless we switch paints too!
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Ty1on2

• 2006 SE FatBoy

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2005, 09:23:35 PM »

Hey there Sandy, thats cool you have found somone that you know there work. But in my case
I didn't know of anyone. And you know the old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words.
At least we agree on some things here at FLHRSEI. Take care. Ty1on2

1999 FXSTC-Wifes Bike

Ty1on2

• 2006 SE FatBoy

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2005, 09:29:01 PM »

Hey Sefatboyscott, you got a point there, the kit could cost about 3 to 4 thousand, then you
and the paint kit for another 2500.00. Man a person lookN at 6 to 7 thousand for a 200mm
up grade,lol. I can feel that HD is lickN there chops at that up grade.

1999 FXSTC-Wifes Bike

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2005, 09:21:07 AM »

What's worse is that when they market as wide tire kit for prior models to the 06 we will never be able to match the paint on the rear fender so it won't really be an option for us 05 CVO owners unless we switch paints too!

All so true. From what I have been told though, we can go one size up and not have to change anything. I did that on one bike a few years ago, don't remember the tire sizes, but do remember being able to go one size up with no changes. Sandy

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2005, 09:23:44 AM »

Hey there Sandy, thats cool you have found somone that you know there work. But in my case
I didn't know of anyone. And you know the old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words.
At least we agree on some things here at FLHRSEI. Take care. Ty1on2

Been there before myself and it did turn out OK but was intirely something else not motorcycle related.

Yep we all agree that these chrome seats do look awesome, but just don't cut it as far a confort goes. Hope getting yours redone works out for you. Same for the rest of us. Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2005, 10:19:52 AM »

I am almost positive we can go up to a 170 low profile Metzler on the rear with no changes, the geometry of the tire is much different and looks like it will squeeze in there and the lower profile allows for expansion at high speeds. I intend on trying this when and if I ever get my bike back.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2005, 02:41:04 PM »

I am almost positive we can go up to a 170 low profile Metzler on the rear with no changes, the geometry of the tire is much different and looks like it will squeeze in there and the lower profile allows for expansion at high speeds. I intend on trying this when and if I ever get my bike back.

I think the guys at our shop said something about a 180, but we were talking Dunlop not the Metz. :) Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2005, 08:42:46 PM »

I think the guys at our shop said something about a 180, but we were talking Dunlop not the Metz. :) Sandy

I personally don't believe their is reason to even discuss Dunlops unless we are talkin warranty replacement. IMHO it's the worste tire available for a bike. Metzlers or the new Avon Venoms are much stickier!
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2005, 03:44:09 AM »

Can you confirm the 170 or 180 tyre? I have only looked at my bike thinking I'm not going to get anything wider in there. There is not much room from the tyre to the belt or even trying to get your fingers under the fender on the side of the tyre you are talking a 1 inch wider tyre. I would think the first thing you need to do would be a narrow belt conversion.

cheers

[smiley=drink.gif]
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2005, 08:03:15 AM »

I personally don't believe their is reason to even discuss Dunlops unless we are talkin warranty replacement. IMHO it's the worste tire available for a bike. Metzlers or the new Avon Venoms are much stickier!

Yeah I know a lot of you don't like the Dunlop's but we have always gotten good service out of them. My husband was running the Metz for a while a year or so ago, I was still running the Dunlop. I got a lot more milage out of mine than he did his. I'm talking 5 to 7 thousand miles. Plus he committed that he really couldn't tell much difference in the ride. He's been riding for more than 30 years. So I guess it's just a personal choice.

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2005, 08:06:08 AM »

Can you confirm the 170 or 180 tyre? I have only looked at my bike thinking I'm not going to get anything wider in there. There is not much room from the tyre to the belt or even trying to get your fingers under the fender on the side of the tyre you are talking a 1 inch wider tyre. I would think the first thing you need to do would be a narrow belt conversion.

This is just what some of the guys at our shop were saying, some of the ones in parts. I know I did go one size up on my Road King I traded in for this bike and didn't change a thing. I'll be going over to the shop on Friday, will talk to the guys in the shop and find out for sure. Let you know as soon as I find out. :) Sandy

cheers

[smiley=drink.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2005, 08:19:43 AM »

MrsRedHot, I'm w/ you on the Dunlops.  Until I see something more than opinion on a tire being better, I'm sticking w/ what's worked for me for well over 130K miles now.  Always get good mileage on 'em and they seem to stick just fine in the monsoon rains that I tend to ride in more than I like.  [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]  Har!  spyder

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2005, 08:57:51 AM »

MrsRedHot, I'm w/ you on the Dunlops.  Until I see something more than opinion on a tire being better, I'm sticking w/ what's worked for me for well over 130K miles now.  Always get good mileage on 'em and they seem to stick just fine in the monsoon rains that I tend to ride in more than I like.  [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]  Har!  spyder

I'm with you on that! We have been riding bikes as I said for more than 30 years, well at least my husband, I only started riding solo about 10 years ago. Have had nothing but good luck with the Dunlops. I did have one bike about 5 years ago that seemed to be a nail magnet. I think I went through 3 tires to my husband's one that year. Picked up fairly large nails twice in one summer. Could have plugged it, but since it was my bike and I was only 4/5 years into riding, my husband felt safer putting on a new tire. One of the nails was as round as my index finger. That would have been a fairly large plug! Plus as they say, *If it aint broken, why fix it?"  :)  Sandy

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2005, 09:04:40 AM »

Hey Sandy thanks for the reply, and I agree with everything you said. But I still think its a marketing thing
that HD has going on in the background. Just think of it like this, when you buy a $30.000 dollar car the
seats are Realy comfy. And you dont need to go buy another seat, for crying out loud. I just feel that
if HD wanted to make that stock seat comfy they could have done so. I'm sending my seat to MCSeating out
of MI. I have seen his work, it is wonderful. The price is real fair as far as I'm concered. There is a thread
here in this thread that has some pics of his work. The persons name here that used him was Slick, look
for the thread, you will like it I think. Take care, Ty1on2 :)

PS  I looked up the thread for you, it's #15 thru #19 tell me what you think of the seat.

Just in case fixing this chrome seat doesn't work for you, you may want to give Corbin a try. I love their seats, they are quite hard at first, but given good time they do break in very good and will serve you well. Plus I think they have some of the better looking seats on the market. I was checking on their web site yesterday and they do NOW have seats for the 2006 Fat Boy. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.  :D  Sandy

Ty1on2

• 2006 SE FatBoy

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2005, 08:55:51 PM »

Mrs Red Hot thanks for the info. I sure hope my seat works for me, cause you know it's nonrefundable,lol
But in case that happends, I will keep an eye out on those corbins. Thank you, Ty

1999 FXSTC-Wifes Bike

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2005, 11:16:24 PM »

There is a local shop here that will install a set of Avon Venoms on your bike and if you don't like them they will not only refund you but give you a free set of OEM Dunlops for trying the Venoms.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2005, 02:39:58 PM »

This is just what some of the guys at our shop were saying, some of the ones in parts. I know I did go one size up on my Road King I traded in for this bike and didn't change a thing. I'll be going over to the shop on Friday, will talk to the guys in the shop and find out for sure. Let you know as soon as I find out.  Sandy

Thanx, Sandy
Look forward to the info

[smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 02:41:31 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2005, 05:44:09 PM »

This is just what some of the guys at our shop were saying, some of the ones in parts. I know I did go one size up on my Road King I traded in for this bike and didn't change a thing. I'll be going over to the shop on Friday, will talk to the guys in the shop and find out for sure. Let you know as soon as I find out.  Sandy

Thanx, Sandy
Look forward to the info

[smiley=drink.gif]

I didn't get a chance to talk with the guy that puts our tires on. He was out to lunch or off for the day. Some of the others that I did get to talk to are really unsure. One says, yes you should be able to go up one size with no problems. The other said he didn't think so on the SE Fatboy, because the rear tire is in there so snug. Said it filled up the fender too much to leave any more room for a larger tire. So now, who knows for sure. : :-?  Sandy

Taildraggerdave

• Junior CVO Member
  • V-twin Exhaust--the sound of freedom
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2005, 12:33:42 PM »

I have the Sundowner on mine.  Very nice.  I put 2200 miles on the stock seat and my ass is much happier now....
Love my '05

tunedse2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2006 SE FatBoy Autumn Haze
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2005, 01:54:59 PM »

Corbin fast gunfighter will be ready in 6 weeks, I called they assured it will
be more comforatable than in the past, and the look will definately work.
There low and blen into the rear fender nicely. May be worth the wait...

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2005, 05:56:33 PM »

I have the Sundowner on mine.  Very nice.  I put 2200 miles on the stock seat and my ass is much happier now....

Nice bike buddy, but ya gotta ditch those fork reflectors!

Cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Taildraggerdave

• Junior CVO Member
  • V-twin Exhaust--the sound of freedom
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2005, 11:20:45 PM »

Thanks.  They are gone but it is an old photo........
Still have the rear ones on but I need to get at those before it's too late.
Love my '05

Dougherty20

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2008, 02:10:45 PM »

Was this a direct bolt on replacement?  I like the looks of the sundowner as long as you ride with the sissybar.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 24 queries.